Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Genpei Turtle posted:

If only I didn't have such a backlog of games to clear out I'd snatch up DS 6 in a minute though, if only for nostalgia--I played the hell out of that game with my roommate in college. It's easily the best in the series IMO. (Haven't played 9 yet though)

Hey cool I'm not the only one who gets all nostalgic for 6. I have a feeling I'm probably going to be let down a little replaying it in this release, but I'm still gonna end up blazing through this even if it's not living up to old memories.

(I can kind of see how 5 got so much praise now that I play them as an adult, though. Daaaaaamn.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Armitage posted:

Is it true DQ6 is going to have a very low print run? :(

It's kind of up in the air unless someone has harder facts. I know DQ5 got a tiny run since DQ4 didn't sell so hot, but they changed publishers (from Square to Nintendo) and I don't know if they're operating on "DQ5 didn't sell too hot" logic or "DQ9 was a good job, let's keep pushing the brand".

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

psychoJ posted:

(dq6 endgame/postgame spoilers)
I completely beat Nokturnus last night, in under 20 turns.

Afterwards, he teleports himself and my party to Mortamor and then proceeds to beat the poo poo out of him. It was pretty loving cool.

Oh my god, that's still in there? Okay, gonna put Radiant Historia aside for now and polish off DQ6. That's probably my favorite use of a bonus boss ever.

"Well, you beat me. I can't really do much for you, since you're stronger than I am, but here, lemme do you one favor." *teleports to endboss and RUINS HIM BEFORE YOUR EYES, then plays the ending as normal* The first time I saw that, I just sat there laughing my rear end off. Honest to god I wish that would come back in more games somehow.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Gorelab posted:

Also will it break things in DQVI if I[...]

DQVI is probably the most open game in the series save maybe 9. gently caress around and remember to hit Madame Luca once in a while to figure out where the plot went.

(I've got half the legendary equipment and only just remembered "Oh yeah. Airship. Might want that.")

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Hold off on buying it for 2 hours. Quoting Amazon's daily deal page (it's #4):

Upcoming Deal
The second installment in the Zenithia Trilogy for your NDS

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
DQVI has a crazy-open world in the middle/late chunks, but keep in mind you ALSO have Madam Luca from early on as an instant "You know, just go here" button. You can warp right to her at almost any time and pow. Plot progression.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

spacebard posted:

I think the DQ remakes spoiled me because I tried to play FF3 and I haven't touched my DS in a month. :shobon:

To be fair, that FF3 remake makes it VERY clear that the DQ DS remakes are tweaking things to make them much less grindy, when you compare to the almost-identical-to-NES poo poo in that one. God, that was murderous to replay (and I LIKE all the job system FFs)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It's also playable like DQ1. My story run of the game was the hero solo. (I do believe it's impossible in the post-game content though.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I'll settle for a slime plush.

It's not a plush, but there are squishy vinyl Slimes on SquareEnix's own webstore.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Wendell posted:

I just can't imagine what would happen if you missed one of those world shard things along the way. What the hell would you do, explore every pot in the entire world? Good God.

Yeah. You did that. (Guess who had to do a couple of dungeons twice.) Bought the guide to avoid that mid-game: the guide was based on an old build or faulty info or something and doesn't list everything correctly.

Mister Roboto posted:

Really. You didn't grind substantially more than any other DQ?

Also yeah the thing was hella grindy. I have still never beat it, technically, because 180 hours in I'm in the endgame and I didn't optimize my jobs enough so I have to go into the final dungeon (the only place in the game where enemies give me job XP anymore) and beat on things for a bit to try and get new skills and every time I do the loading times per battle and pace kill me and that dungeon is so huge and ugh.

I don't think I've even seen the endboss' final form, and the last save point is somewhere around a half hour of gameplay away from him, from memory. Outside the dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
It is entirely possible I hosed that up. Last time I even tried booting it up was years ago.

I've still got the save backed up on both the old PS1 memory card and a PS2 card I ported all my PS1 RPG saves to just in case, and yet I could never be arsed to finish it due to that loving endboss.