Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Studio posted:

The only DQ game I played was I think Monsters, maybe Monsters 2? Someone lent it to me under the premise that "it's like Pokemon but different." He was right and it ruled for that reason.

DQM 1&2 were amazing and ruined me on Pokemon and other games of that ilk. Joker I tried but couldn't really stay with for some reason. I suppose I should give Caravan Hearts a try at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I've only ever managed to beat DQ2 using the 1&2 GBC compilation years ago. BUT, I did not reference Gamefaqs once during my playthrough. Those caves still sucked, though.

drat, now I feel like playing DQ3 again but my Game Boy gave up the ghost some time ago. I managed to get pretty far with metal collecting but never got enough to take on the secret final boss.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Hold off on buying it for 2 hours. Quoting Amazon's daily deal page (it's #4):

Upcoming Deal
The second installment in the Zenithia Trilogy for your NDS

DQ5 is up there now for half off ($20).

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

As an attempt to breathe some life back into this thread, there's a month to go now until Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker 2 comes out in the US. I haven't seen much info out there on it, though. What's the differences, if any, it has from Joker 1?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Vakal posted:

Most of the improvements are with the online multiplayer. Single player scenario seems similar to DQJ1 with a world scouting tournament.

I did see someone post this though which sounds neat.

Huh, interesting. Wonder how one big dude will handle facing a party of three smaller guys with a possibly more varied spell/skill set.

I have a feeling this isn't the case but will J2 bring back DQVC, or some kind of similar reward system for connecting online?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I didn't notice till now that Joker 2's release date is the 19th, on a Monday. That kind of blows the chance of Amazon doing release-date shipping out of the water. :sigh:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Himuro posted:

Maybe it's a single player game like PSO and Monster Hunter but you can go online to do quests and team up?

That'd make sense considering how multiplayer with DQ9 worked.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Captain Vittles posted:

If it really is an MMO, I hope there's PC support somewhere down the line. What are the odds an MMO for a dying system will get translated for outside Japan?

I wouldn't hold your breath.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

A Dragon Quest MMO wouldn't sound that bad to me if:

1) They didn't pick what's been considered the worst of the online console platforms to release it on.
2) The same company behind it wasn't already struggling with running two other MMOs, one of which is practically free at this point and was criticized for being gimped on content upon launch.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

So, basically DQIX with better graphics and online play instead of that wireless stuff. Sounds pretty good to me.

Okay, seeing it described as that makes me feel better about it.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm looking forward to checking out the new stuff in Joker 2. I just hope my DS Lite survives by then... one of the screens has started doing some funky things lately. :ohdear:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It sucks that the version we get isn't the improved rerelease that Japan got though. Why wouldn't they just translate and give us that?

Whoa wait, they did that? What changes did they make from the first version?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I'm also baffled as to why SqEnix didn't localize DQMJ2 Professional.

Probably the same reasons Final Fantasy X & XII International never got US localization.

And all of them are probably equally bullshit.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Wendell posted:

No, those ones weren't released because we already had the previous versions. There is no reason not to do it with this game. They released the director's cut of Star Ocean 3 here as just Star Ocean 3, so I'm still not convinced they aren't doing just that anyway.

Looking at it that way it does make more sense, and I hope you're right on us getting the professional version in everything sans name.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I cobbled together a DQM:J2 thread before I hit the sack last night. Feel free to discuss your newest monster cross-pollinations in there.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

Bonus Pro-Tip: Keep a high level Swarmtroop from the first area on hand. He will ruin metal slimes like nothing else.

Swarmtroop (or any monster with Hit Squad trait) + Metal Slash = Dinner's gonna be high in iron tonight! :v:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

There's another Liquid Metal Slime (They're Metal Babbles, dammit Squeenix! :argh:) in the same area if you're trying to open the blue door while it's raining. From the Boss room go through the lower right warp and follow along the north edge of the next room until you get to another room with two ledges to creep across. The metal is sitting in the middle of there.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

If you don't have it by now, Best Buy has DQ9 for $5 today. Currently only store pickup is available, though.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I don't know why but I've had this urge to play one of the Gameboy Dragon Warrior Monsters games. I think it's because I recently found my Gameboy Color copy of Dragon Warrior III. Fond memories. :3: I KNOW I have DWM2 around here somewhere, I saw it a while ago and just went "oh hey, neat" and put it back wherever it was, but Cobi's Journey is only 10 dollars on eBay. How does it, or the first one, hold up? I played them, one of them anyway, but it's such a blur.

Probably late on this, but DWM2 in general has more stuff than the first one and has the main quest structured around going to worlds to do quests rather than going through dungeons like the first game. Both DWM2 games have some differences in what kinds of monsters you're likely to find and I think what random side worlds they generate as well, but there's nothing in one you can't catch in the other. Or, failing that, you can breed any monster in either version.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I couldn't help but notice that DQ5 DS is going for just a hair under $12.50 on Amazon right now. Probably the lowest it's been on there.

How does monster recruiting work in that game?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I'm about 6 hours into DQ5DS and recently got a wagon. Even though the monster recruit mechanic, as stated earlier, is pretty random, it's kinda fun to be running around with a mixture of humans and monsters in my party. In some ways, the game resembles a proto-DQM with not as in-depth taming mechanics.

Also party chat is one of the best additions to the DS titles. My Brownie has a stutter. :allears:

Now if only those drat slimes would stop getting up after every other battle wanting to join up. I already have two of you, I'm not running a drat ark here. :argh:

E: Finally, got a Slime Knight to join up. At least half my party isn't small and blue now.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Feb 25, 2012

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Luceo posted:

You must rename him Pierre. :colbert:

He was named Pierre in the fanslation of the SNES ROM and I thought that was the funniest thing.

Was that the Dejap translation or a different one? It's kinda funny that thinking back to all those years ago, when I was just getting into emulation, that Dejap's work was hot poo poo. Eventually I realized just how incomplete all that was.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Luceo posted:

Yeah, that was Dejap. It was pretty drat complete when I played it; I don't think I ever saw an untranslated string.

Huh. I thought work on it had stagnated at one point but the last time I had looked at it was probably 04-05.

Also are there some monsters that won't join you in DQ5, aside from bosses.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Oh man. Big decision time in DQ5. Which girl should I marry, and does it basically tell you what kind of party tag-along you end up with or are there other consequences later on? :ohdear:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

New screens + info of DQM: Terry's Wonderland

More mechanics info as well

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Want. This. Now.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I beat DQ2 on my 1+2 Game Boy cart using nothing but sweat, tears and a whole lot of AA batteries. :colbert:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Trailer for Terry's Wonderland

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

You know that limited-edition DQ 3DS that came up a while back? You can pre-order it now for the low cost of four and a half hundred

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Some guy in Japan is uploading videos of Terry's Wonderland. He's currently up to the first tournament in the game.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Allow me to share from the 3DS general thread why I'm feeling jealous right now.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Took 2 weeks to get here and 3 calls to my bank to say "no I'm not being robbed I really did pay that much" but:

:toot:

And some actual feedback.

Neo Helbeast posted:

So I'd thought I post out some Day 1 thoughts on Terry's Wonderland.

• The game has not been rebalanced for the inclusion of a 4th character to your team so Bosses are quite easy(Hale died on the first turn before he had a chance to attack)
  • This game is goddam adorable
  • The original portal gates for exiting to the next level have been replaced by wells. I can only assume eventually some of them will be traps with Living Wells.
  • Meat is back in. Haven't needed it yet so I'm not sure how much of a scout boost it gives you
  • The town is quite big and Warp has been changed to take you to specific areas around Great Tree
  • This game is goddam adorable

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

SlimeSanction posted:

I went ahead and pre-ordered the Slime keyboard made for DQX, because I need various Slime items to live.

Dunno if I'd trust that keyboard. Sounds a bit squishy to type on.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Silento posted:

I don't know where this came from, but it is amazing.

Some kind of slot or pachinko game IIRC.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Since I'm incapable of reading Japanese and stuck waiting for 3DS Terry's Wonderland like just about everyone else, I decided to start playing DQM2 again. I used to own the cart for Tara's Adventure so this time I'm going with Cobi's Journey.

Am I right in assuming that the only difference between both versions is how frequently certain monsters show up, and that there's no wild monsters unique to one version?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Gyoru posted:

Amazon is getting a number of negative reviews.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/product-reviews/B007XQPMDE/

For anyone that can read Japanese, what mainly are they complaining about?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Best Buy has DQ9 and DQM: Joker 2 for :10bux: each during their "gaming blowout sale", starting today.

Shipping not available for either one currently, though. You'd have to buy in-store or arrange for store pickup.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

How's Joker 2? Played the first one which seemed alright but online play was useless because most fights I found were against creatures with impossible stats.

Honestly, the matchmaking in Joker 2 is pretty badly balanced. My lower-tier teams got matched up way too often with other teams of top-ranked monsters with stats grinded to max.

Word is that Terry's Wonderland 3DS suffers from the same problem.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

I've finally gotten around to trying the translation of Caravan Hearts and it's a lot different than I was anticipating. Not just compared to the other DQM games, but DQ in general. Something just feels weird about playing a game within a series all about exploration, and now I have to do so while making sure I don't push myself too hard and that my slime doesn't die of starvation.

iastudent fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 11, 2013

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That's the one based on Oregon Trail, right?

In a sense, yeah. There's a rations meter you have to keep track of and the rate at which it goes down is based on which terrain you walk on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Which version of DQ4 would you guys suggest playing?

iastudent fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 10, 2014