Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I started playing DQ games about 2 months ago, emulated 1-3, bought 4, 5, 6 on DS and bough an old PS2 and copies of 7 and 8. I didn't beat any of 1-3 bc after playing for a few hours it wasn't the most engaging stuff in the world, but I wanted to see the origins of the series. I've had a total blast with V and VI (finished VI last night after having to grind quite a bit to actually beat the final boss, who was a real fucker). I'm going to save IV for later in August because I'll be traveling a lot and I think I'm going to start VIII this weekend. These games are really cool and it's lame that I've been missing out on them for so long.

And you're welcome for being the sales that tipped the scale to bring VII and VIII remakes to the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

You should probably only use them on your MC or the kids. Or if you really, really, really want to use the wife in your final party, you could save them for her. It isn't worth it to use them on monsters.

I think I used a wisdom one on a monster early on so it would freaking listen to me!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So uh, I'm fighting the fake queen in DQ5 and she just completely curbstomps me. using the DEF down debuff only makes my attacks do like 23~ damage to her and with her constant summons (which will always silence harry or the MC which leads to Bad Things) I can't keep up.
Only one monster ever joined my party (one of those mushrooms with a hammer) and he's not terribly useful. My team is roughly level 15 with the shroom being like 5, and I have the best equipment I can get I think(?) Unless there's a store other than the castle place with better stuff at this point in time. Is this just a case of me needing to grind some levels or what

The mushroom hammer guys suck, you're gonna have to recruit some more monsters. Way it works is that if the last enemy you kill is a recruitable monster there's a dice roll that they will join your party. I quickly picked up a slime knight and I think the abominable snowmen guys are in that area too, and I used both of those guys for the next 15 to 20 hours of the game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

is the DS DQM game worth finding a copy of? I'm taking a break from DQV cuz I got mad but I still want something fun to play on the go.

What part did you get mad at

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Slime Knights have a relatively high recruitment rate, it shouldn't take too long. Good luck

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Congrats. The recent explosion of posts in the Dragon Quest Megathread has rekindled my urge after taking a break after beating VI, and I'm going to start VIII tonight.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Well, that's DQ5 wrapped up. Really enjoyed it but I felt the difficulty just shot up a ridiculous amount after the dragon eyes part. I'm not sure if I was doing something wrong (I never went out of my way to grind before that point but I never ran from monsters) but after that point everything kicked my rear end terribly until I sat and watched a movie while mindlessly grinding. It kind of hampered my enjoyment of the final stretch but I still overall thought it was a good and fun game. Dunno which of the numbered games to play next but I'm probably going to take a break and try out DQM2 when it arrives next week though.

I had to grind on the last continent to beat the final boss, but not for too long. Grinding is also ridiculously easy in those games because you can set Tactics to Preserve MP, set battle speed to max and just watch a movie while tapping A to get mondo levels in like 25 minutes.

Edit: wait I was thinking of VI. I didn't grind in V, I died once in the final boss and went back to catch a King Cureslime and then didn't have any problem once I had someone wth omniheal in my party.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shugojin posted:

I think the "hardest" end boss in the series was 6. Stupid hands reviving each other and the main body :argh:

He was a real fucker for sure.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VIII is insanely charming as well.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I decided to go with 8 for my next choice while playing DQM2 on the road. Only in the first dungeon but I really like it so far, didn't know about the specialization system or anything so that's cool since apparently most choices are viable from what I've skimmed.

How long does it take for fisticuffs to start doing respectable damage? This copper sword I found in the cave is still leagues better than my fists with the first attack power boost.

The first boss also kicked my rear end since I didn't go back to town and buy better equipment, game feels more punishing out the gate than V since even normal monsters like the dudes in the shoe were doing 6-7 damage a hit.

I beat him without really buying anything, but I did die on my first attempt. I came back with a bunch of healing herbs on Yangus and just did a lot of tension raising with the hero until he died. What's your loadout? I'm planning on Sword/Bravery on Hero and Maces/Companionship on Yangus. All I've done is beat that first boss. The style is incredibly good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I didn't look up any skill strats, I should at some point. But for some reason when I fought the waterfall guy Hero was immune to the curse, which is why I depended on him to use tension and used Yangus as a healer. Maybe it was something I got from Courage? Idk.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also def wanna branch out to scythes. Description says its for those who like items...hell I love items.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Deki posted:

In english or Japanese?

Take a wild guess.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was planning on playing SFV all weekend, but since the beta has completely fallen apart looks like it's gonna be a ton of DQVIII instead. Looking forward to returning the crystal ball and finding out what happens next.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VI was the most free of the DQ's I've played and I prefer the more linear gameplay. Wandering around a map can be fun for a bit but with VI every time I got a new mode of transportation I just spent most of my time doubling back to old areas just to see if I'd missed anything. Once you got to a town or castle with their own little stories they were cool but the pacing suffered from the long stretches in between f relatively nothing happening.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DQ11 is cooler than I could have imagined with their wild release options. Now we just have to wait for localization details!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I could be wrong but I thought DQ games have always sold poorly in the states.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Looking forward to DQ11 hell yes, DQ8 is a fav. I also liked those DS ports.

That said, I wonder what they'll do to spice it up and innovate. I'm sure they have some cool ideas.

The games have barely changed since 4, it will be dragon quest again and really gorgeous. I'm excited.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Fancy Hat! posted:

This is kind of BLOWING MY MIND.

Holy poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DS versions of IV, V and VI are fantastic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

abagofcheetos posted:

Thanks all for the input. I played the mobile version of DQ1 and it was ok I guess, but my issue is I ended up playing a ton of it with no volume due to the types of places I would play a mobile game (train, bed before sleep), so I don't really want to miss out on that whole aspect of the game. And if I am going to sit down and make a point to play a mobile game, I would rather play them with real controls and a real screen.

I'm the same way. The DS versions + headphones are awesome.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wendell posted:

I...I want to play all three versions! They all look so good!

Me too. It will be cool to play SNES -> 3DS -> PS4 over 3 playthrough a and like 2 or 3 years so it's like I get a new DQ every few months.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mischitary posted:

I'm currently playing through the DS version of DQ6 for the first time (I've already played through the other two DS remakes in the past) and one of the things I truly love about Dragon Quest but that I think a lot of other people might find off-putting is how little direction you get. The world is so open and it's truly one of those games where you have to talk to absolutely everybody because the only way you'll know where to go is if you remember what a guy told you.

Also it's weird to have played Dragon Quest Monsters on the Game Boy years ago and learning that the original Terry was this ultimate bad-rear end and not just some kid.

DQVI is probably the most open ended those games get too, there's so much time spent just kinda wandering around the two worlds.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

Sorry, what I mean is - the only ways to play DQ8 are mobile via the unity port or on PC emulating the original?

No other versions inbound?

There's also the option of playing on a PS2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BadAstronaut posted:

I don't have a PS2 anymore. But I do have the original disk - bought after I no longer had my PS2...
For my PS3. Which ended up not having backwards compatibility.

Me neither, but I picked one up again recently so I could play DW7 and DQ8 and it was definitely worth it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Who's excited for Dragon Quest Heroes tomorrow!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Erg posted:

I am!!!

Too bad I'm still playing Disgaea. I don't think I can take all the good PS4 games coming out this month.

I got the MGSV 100% screen yesterday and took a breather and then started preloading DQ Heroes. Been a great stretch of weeks for game releases

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I wonder how hard it is to get hold of a DQ7 PSX disc. I know I used to own it a thousand years ago, but at this rate, I'll never be able to play the game on a more modern system. I guess it'd still be called Dragon Warrior...

...oh well shucks, it's a steal at 139.99

I recently purchased DW7 used for like 30 dollars on Amazon.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The audio coming out of the controller thing is really weird.

Audio can come out of a PS4 controller?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dragon Quest Heroes is a lot of fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

alena is so loving badass

Popping tension and then using the permadoubler and infinite multi fists is godlike.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is anybody from V/VI in the game? I remember the brief fly over during that opening title scene but I only recognized all the characters from IV and VIII

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Caidin posted:

Bianca and Nera from V, Terry from VI.

Guess they didn't have the balls to just come out and say Bianca is #1

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

4 > 6 but I enjoyed both

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Srice posted:

4 has a fine cast of characters and the only person anybody remembers from 6 is Terry.

The Hero, Milly and Ashlynn, because I used them in battle. The job system makes everybody kinda blank slates so I'm hard pressed to remember anybody's story

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Crimson Harvest posted:

I unlocked a hidden or maybe just announced character in DQ Heroes.

Psaro

So coooooooooooooool looking in this game.

Oh drat I want this

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I really dislike how menu heavy DQH is. I know it's an intentional thing to mimic the actual DQ games but while I don't mind it there, I feel it's extremely tedious in a game like this.

Turning in achievements and monster kills for mini medals is baffling, as is completing quests.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

Which is why DQ4 isn't the best DQ game. If it didn't have that fatal flaw, most old school players would award it the title of supreme DQ overlord, I believe.

DQIV DS is the best DQ game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

should I play DQVII?

I think every DQ past II is probably worth playing, if you like JRPGs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bongo Bill posted:

I dislike 6's implementation of a class-changing system, but I like everything else about it. I like that it has a dense and complex overworld and I like the way the plot goes aimless for a while as you just travel around trying to find yourself (literally).

It's cool that for like 20 hours of that game you're kinda just wandering around on a boat with no purpose.