Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
Looking forward to 6s remake as well, although like every other DQ fan ever I did play it translated by whoever it was ages ago (and it was a really crappy translation too).

My order is probably 8>9>4>5=6 then after that I didn't like 7 and 1-3 are kind of to old to rate on any fair scale as they obviously haven't aged well.

All I can really remember about 6 is the flying bed shenanigans, fucktons of metal slime grinding that I abused save states and fast forwards to make it easier on myself and it still took forever (god I hope they reduce that in the remake) and the final boss being crazy hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

The over-reliance on metal slime grinding and effectively having to use some sort of guide has always been an annoying part of the DQ games for me I'll admit. You'll never find all the tiny medals if you don't use a guide, and you generally will need the tiny medal reward items to beat most of the DQ games due to them all being fairly difficult. I know people say they've beaten like DQ 8 and 9 without stopping to metal grind...but I couldn't pull it off.

I don't think I had to metal grind in the remakes of 4 and 5 at least, or it wasn't that bad since I don't remember doing it (but I do remember having to do it in the originial versions of 4 and 5). Hopefully the remake of 6 will be like that as well.

DW/DQ2 is probably one of the hardest RPGs ever made actually. That cave leading to the snow area before the final area was just loving nuts.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

Genpei Turtle posted:

Or better yet, the SFC version. (Is there a translation patch for that?)

Somewhat related, I've noticed that DQ is like the one remaining JRPG franchise where they arbitrarily rename large numbers of major characters when they translate the games to English. Not that it makes a huge difference, but I kinda wish they wouldn't do that--even though I've played most of the DQ games at some point in time I always get confused in these sorts of threads because I never know what characters other people are referencing and vice versa. :(

Probably because a lot of the Japanese names are just plain stupid (Loto vs. Erdrick as mentioned earlier for an example). This is due to the Japanese having a generally quirky sense of humor I assume. I'm actually very glad the U.S translators have been making the silly humor into something well...humorous over here in the more current games, such as with 9.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

when it was released 6 was amazing because it was a huge leap over 4 and 5 in graphic, music, and gameplay quality, now that it's rereleased, it's gameplay isn't all that much better then the 4 or 5 remakes and the music and graphic quality are basically the same. Still a good game though in my opinion.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is that 4 and 5 felt like actual remakes whereas 6 was just a graphical face lift more or less.

Also 9 owns.