Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
Dragon quest swords is more fun than a rail shooter should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Ornamented Death posted:

This is pretty much the only thing that would convince me to buy a 3DS (right now, at least).

If you don't think SE is going to flood the 3DS with DQ and FF stuff you're crazy.

[e] Was anyone able to find a copy 6 yet?

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Terpfen posted:

I really hope not. IMO, ArtePiazza’s efforts should go towards Dragon Quest VII on 3DS and a 1080p HD version of Dragon Quest VIII for consoles.

Can you imagine an HD remake of VII :swoon:

[e] Or even better, HD sprites!

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

al-azad posted:

Well, DQ5 certainly took a dark turn. Watching Pankraz beaten in-battle was strangely moving. Normally a game would just kill off a character in cinematic fashion but no, you have to watch this dude suffer pathetic amounts of damage slowly over the course of 10 or so turns before he's obliterated. He loving takes it like a man, too.

Level-5 is working on this little beauty.

I actually had a nerdy wet dream about DQ10 looking like that.

I would be so happy just to get the DS one (with that :krad: spell book of course)

[e] Now that I think about it DQ 5 is the most :smith: of the series.

puns are awesome and I wish more games would take advantage of them :colbert:
VVVV

Agnostic watermelon fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 19, 2011

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

spacebard posted:

Yes, but there are some questionable lines in it.

Yeah, I actually got killed by some garrrgoyles, and then learned better the next time and evac'd a couple more times. I didn't have much money to spend on some equipment. It was a good test of the tactics system though (pushing buttons :effort:). Now that I have some more cash I can get some better weapons and armor (not on everyone though).

You really should use sap on them (and run the gently caress away if you encounter more than one at a time)

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

Finally got my copy of DQ6, now I can safely say I've at least played all of the core games.

I've noticed it mentioned a couple of times, but it needs to be stated in no uncertain terms: Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker is by far and away one of the best DS games and DQ games available.
Take the battle system of DragonQuest, the monster collecting of Pokemon and the breeding/fusing of a ShinMegami game and throw it into the same graphics engine as DQ9 and you've got one of the most under-appreciated gems of the past few years.
I'd imagine it's pretty hard to find nowadays, but if you're interested in any of the games it borrows it's concepts from, you're going to love it.

Also it's auto-namer is completely pun based :3:

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Manos del Sino posted:

I just got through the area my second time trying, basically by spending some of the 12,000 gold I had been hoarding and making liberal use of consumables. It took nearly all of my MP, a dozen or more herbs, a couple amor essences, a magic water and a little luck, but I managed to defeat Murdaw. At least this time. I actually don't care for the DQ cliche of beating the boss early in the game only to have to repeat the battle near the end, but now I can move on. My characters all his level 17 before the final battle except for Ashlynn who was still <9.

This is the first DQ game where I actually am stopping to be impressed at the level design. The Towers of Mirrors were really neat, and the darkened approach to Murdaw was frustrating but rewarding to puzzle out finally.

Out of curiosity did you use sap? Fighting two of the Gargoyles at once was harder for my level 14 dudes than Murdaw since he could only critical hit one person before I healed them with midheal.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Manos del Sino posted:

Please tell me that you are supposed to die during the second round of the second fight with Murdaw, because I'm going to be very disappointed otherwise.

Considering I lost to him like 3 times, I don't think so :(.

Seriously what is up with him? the only one who can do any significant damage to him is carver with knuckle sandwich. Not to mention he loves using icy breath and lightning in the same turn.

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Myrmeleo posted:

Ugh, I think I hosed up in DQ6.

I was at Scrimsley and trying to help out Amos. I told him the truth because I thought he should be told. Now that I got the seeds of reason I come back to see he's nowhere around. Is he permanently gone???

Aside that, I think I like this version's way of handling vocations than in DQ9.

Wait, when does the jobs open up?

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Overbite posted:

9 was worse than 8 due to the lack of actual characters, and 10 being an MMO is just horrible. I want another like 8!

This.

Gameplay wise I liked 9 better than 8, story wise I didn't even finish 9. Dragon Quest is one of my favorite series but I just can't stand MMOs. It's super disappointing waiting on the next installment of DQ only to find out it's going the route of final fantasy.

I guess if it's like 9 just with human party members it could be good, so I'll wait to see more gameplay before passing a judgement .

Now that I think about it the reason I wasn't that into 9's story is the fact that your entire party is pretty disposable
VVVV

Agnostic watermelon fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!

Terpfen posted:

I picture him sitting at a desk in front of a bunch of spreadsheets coming to the conclusion that he wants to and should bring out the right games, namely those that will be cheap to localize while likely to bring in high revenue.

That's perfectly fine in and of itself. The problem is that none of his spreadsheets have a "Fan loyalty" column. Nintendo certainly seems to not care very much about my money, evidenced by the absence of this column. I've basically dropped all plans to buy anything Nintendo for the foreseeable future, including Skyward Sword (no, seriously) and the Wii U.

I've also done the same with Capcom (no AAI2 in the US, MML3 canceled, no MMZX3, no BoF6, insultingly awful DMC reboot? Must not want my money!) and am considering doing the same with Konami (Suikoden team dissolved two years ago, bad Silent Hill developer outsourcing, no ZoE3) and Square-Enix (3rd Birthday is offensively bad, FF13/14 debacles, killed off the Mana series with increasingly terrible games, overpriced and lazy iOS game ports).

Maybe I'm unique like that, I don't know. But pretty much the only games that seem to be worth the effort these days are Dragon Quest and Assasin's Creed, and if DQ10 is indeed Wii U only in the US, then I'll likely have to skip it.

I'm pretty much in this situation too. A lot of game series I like are either not being made (MML3) or being made for another audience (Xcom). I have zero excitement for the WiiU (can't remember another time I wasn't excited for a new nintendo console).

You can't really do anything besides not buying the games that aren't appealing to you.