Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Dragon Quest is the most populist RPG franchise, so it's unsurprising that they'd continue to target the platform with the most users who've expressed an interest in games but don't know from RPGs.

But, let's face it, there's no way any of this is getting localized.

Most of those games are already localized though. We're probably not getting DQ1-3, but since Square's already localized 4-6 and 8 it's relatively little effort for them. 8 might not have the voice acting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I really want to play Dragon Quest 3 with a modern localization, but it sucks that it's gonna be smartphone. How much effort does it take to port that stuff to the 3DS/Vita as download titles?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

Guys, I've hit a wtf moment in Dragon Quest IV and have no idea where to go. I'm about 14 hours in and I have to find my wife, I think. I am at a castle on the south east continent that looks a bit like South America on the map. Someone said to me he thinks the chancellor is dodgy. Someone else asked if I'm going to embark on a quest to find my wife like my father did.

I just have no clue as to where I'm meant to be going...

Have you tried poking around in the chancellor's room?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BadAstronaut posted:

In DQ5, I have just competed the very long cut scene that involves statues - but where am I meant to go now...? I'm still in the castle.

Is there any easy way in-game to do away with these kinds of 'where now?' moments by talking to a party member or similar to get a hint?

IIRC, you can talk to one of your party members right after loading your save to get something like that. I think you're supposed to go to a cave north of the continent you're on now, but obviously you should be going on a world tour with your kids and spamming the party chat button for their reactions. Also you can pick up the Zenithian Helm now.

Oh. Make sure you save before going to Deborah/Nera's hometown. Or have all your money in the bank.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I wouldn't use Luminary to fast-track to Hero, because that job mostly just has Zap spells and the buff dispelling move. It's good and all, but 6 has pretty nasty enemies that are balanced around you throwing your strongest moves at them, so having Hero be a Gadabout and wasting turns giving Puff-Puffs is much less helpful than him Roundhouse Kicking every random encounter.

It's a shame that it's only the four jobs that let you become a Hero, because the main character's balanced stat spread is perfect for Paladin, especially since he learns Zap through the story and that's as good as ever. Incidentally, Carver makes a pretty good Paladin too, because you have Nevan/Ashlynn for post-battle healing so he'll always have enough for fights, and he's decently fast and hard to kill which are good qualities for a white mage since Intellect doesn't matter, and even class changing to Priest doesn't affect his strength too badly since he gets good weapons.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Eww. Still gonna buy day one if it has full voice acting and no mechanical problems, but drat. Maybe it looks like that to make the 3D work?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Decus posted:

Why would you think any version would get translated? And why would you think that, if they did localize one, they wouldn't localize all of them? The hang-up with the localization isn't technical effort--actually inserting the translated text--it's the cost, both real and opportunity, of translating it into the 5 required languages.

Last I checked the actual news cycle on that went "no, not happening" and then a Japanese dev said he wanted it to happen and then they re-iterated "no, not happening"; they clearly don't think it's worth it. By now though it's even more not worth it--remember the opportunity cost part of the above--since DQXI is around the corner and we likely will be getting that if only because it has a PS4 version. They've been prepping the PS4 for DQ fans in all regions.

Who knows, maybe they'll re-examine things if DQXI 3DS sells well? But probably not since DQIX did well only for the remakes to bomba.

Yuji Horii actually came out and said DQ7 was getting a French translation at a French game expo. Which probably means an English one as well.

That said, they got mad at him for saying it, and they openly advertised the PS1 version of DQ4 before that went to poo poo, so who knows.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Srice posted:

4 has a fine cast of characters and the only person anybody remembers from 6 is Terry.

Carver and Amos are pretty great thanks to party chat, and the other guys aren't really terribly boring or uninteresting, just mediocre after Dragon Quest loving 5.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mr. Trampoline posted:

It's a reference back to his original appearance in Dragon Quest 4. In the NES version, all allies were AI-controlled, and Kiryl's AI tended to use Whack and Thwack more often than not, even when the enemy was immune to it or your team was in danger of dying.

Making this a legit joke will never not be the best thing to me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Arcaeris posted:

Did... did you not recognize him??? How do you own this game and don't recognize him?

You can play Dragon Quest and not play every single entry.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Actually, I thought no the reason Puff/BeDragon always the metal killer spell was because of the claw attack you can sometimes do, which IIRC was a fixed 80 damage move and thus a metal killer.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BiggerJ posted:

Has there been any indication that the iOS version of DQ7 is coming west?

No, but even the iOS ports of 1-3 had relatively little fanfare considering they were full-fledged retranslatons. And 6 was handled by Nintendo and that got a port, so I'd take it as a given.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BiggerJ posted:

I'm still wondering about a western release of the iOS version of DQVII. They said that the 3DS version would require a new localization, which would be difficult due to the game's size. After much flipfloppery, they finally announced a western release for VII and VIII. But it wouldn't surprise me if the iOS version got lost in the shuffle and forgotten about until it's too late for them to bother.

Tbh DQ7 is almost coming out too late for them to bother. So who knows?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
5 is a really cool multigenerational story and also a cool Dragon Quest story (ie: go around helping people in mostly unrelated scenarios and make vague progress towards the final boss). Idk why it's a bad DQ game since it's still a chill JRPG adventure, but people having different opinions is cool too. That's my Dragon Quest Opinion.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

now i know how people felt when they localized dqiv

Or 5, or 6, or 1, 2, or 3? Or 8 even?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

As for puns, DQ in Japanese isn't necessarily a very punny game at all, with regards to how punny the Japanese language tends to be overall to English. It feels like what i've seen from the US localizations try way too hard sometimes. Especially DQ5 trying to for no good reason equate all the regions of the game with regions of the actual real world w/ speech mannerisms and such. I guess the English language writers feel the script is too dry, and like to resort to cheese to liven it up. I'd probably prefer it to be a bit dryer, but well written IMO.

I think it's more that DQ8 had accents but actual voice acting to go along with it, so when DQ4 came around they deliberately made the accents overdone so you could still get the same feel to compensate for the lack of voice acting. At least that's what I remember reading.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
poo poo, it's confirmed for localization at all when its chances looked almost as bad as Mother 3 for a while, I'm happy to wait a while longer.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

It would be cool if the remake solved the problem of it being possible to allocate skill points poorly. I guess we already know it doesn't, though.

I think it lets you spend them when you want like DQ9, so that's a big step in the right direction at least.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

raditts posted:

I beat Dragon Quest 4 today on my "catching up with the last 20 years of the series" campaign I've been on over the last several months.
I know Toriyama does all the character art for these games but I didn't know I was going to literally be fighting Cell as the final boss.
After like the 4th or 5th time I wailed on the dude and some new poo poo grew out of him I was just like "Really? When are you going to die already?"

Honestly Psaro continually anatomizing himself was probably one of the more unnerving final boss things I can remember and basically made the fight for me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, it'll control as well as you can make a DS game work for phones (fairly well, but I'm not big on the whole phone gaming thing). Party chat justifies itself the instant Healie joins up. :3:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Is the best way to play dq 1,2,3 the translated super famicom versions? Is there a best translation I should be aware of?

1-3 on the phones have the standard team translating it, although it's worth mentioning that 1 and 2 readith like a parody of ye olden Dragon Warrior translations (in a good way).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
In a perfect world they would just put the smartphone ports on the 3DS. As much as I like party chat, 4 isn't on the same level as 1-3 control-wise, and even those aren't perfect. :sigh:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, probably. If you have some sort of cheat devices or a flash card, all the online missions are on the cart anyway.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

yeah but that means breaking Bianca's heart

Best Wife Deborah becomes a better person if you marry her, as opposed to being a bitter, lonely spinster. P. sure Bianca ends up married too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I don't know why you all bother with post game content in this series, it's universally garbage and the gameplay loop in DQ is just not fun enough for me to wanna grind for hours. DQ9 especially felt like the most uninspired and generic entry in the series, losing the online bits isn't a big deal imo

Eh, 4's was pretty good since it was mostly a cool dungeon and Chow Mein/Foo Young aren't terribly hard bosses compared to DQ5 Estark and Noktus. Same with the part of 8 that was just beating the boss that was gating the (worse) true ending.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Really? What did the Famicom version do better?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
At least in 6 you actually keep every skill you learn forever. And since Intelligence scaling wasn't invented until 8, it results in the situation where your super beefy monk guy makes a great backup healer because he's one of the faster guys.

I'm not familiar with 7 or the remake, but apparently the remake at least sets it up so that you can only use high end attacks like Knuckle Sandwich in the class or when learned by leveling the monster vocations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
From what I've seen of gameplay footage, the SFC version and DQ7 actually have submenus for healing, attacking, and utility skills/spells, so it's just kind of boggling that the DS version failed to implement something like that.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
She kind of is, but she gets better as the game goes and isn't really mean to you once she actually gets married to you. People aren't joking when they call her the best wife.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Did they appear in the group formation?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Not to go too deep into spoilers, but you can't get those specific ones until way the gently caress later, since only kids can find Fairy Lea. You can pick up their summer variants though, even if it'll take a while.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Given they provided an entirely new localization for 1-3 and implemented 4's party chat, it'd be really bizarre if they didn't.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Decus posted:

On the full voice acting front have Nintendo or SE said anything about how that'll go down for DQVIII in the west? On the one hand I really liked the PS2 version dub but on the other a new recording would be interesting at least.

I think everything DQ related has had British voice acting and I remember hearing they even got Yangus back for Warriors, so they'll probably just redub whoever they can't get a hold of and get the old cast to do the new stuff.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

voltron lion force posted:

What? Enix has been Square-Enix for forever now, and there is a ton of DQ spin off poo poo.

Well yeah, but they put effort into those. It's honestly pretty crazy that most of the games have one remake and that those are actual remakes that added significant time investments like good postgame dungeons, tuned up stuff like EXP/Gold and added party chat, done by the same dudes working on modern DQ titles. Whereas we have something like Chrono Trigger that's a straight port with a terrible new dungeon and an okay one.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, since Kiefer just hits stuff there's literally no reason not to just have him on Show No Mercy so he can spam Flame Slash. Same with Ruff, at least so far.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ojetor posted:

Ability bloat sure is a thing on my Gladiator. Like 3 pages of Offensive attacks that are all a variation of "hit hard". I wish they were a bit more transparent about what all the skills actually do. I mean, what is even the difference between Pressure Pointer, Flying Knee and Knuckle Sandwich?

That's weird, the other games are pretty detailed about Pressure Pointer at least (crap damage or instakill). Knuckle Sandwich is weird if it works like 6 since it's just straight up double damage in one hit (unlike stuff like Falcon Slash and Multifists which don't get nearly as much out of Oomph) but it can miss since its treated as a status ailment like Whack or Snooze.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

For someone who hasn't played vii what do tablets do? I don't remember them in the ps1 version but that was a hundred years ago and I never finished it.

They're the fragments of the forgotten past. :v: You find all the pieces and go to new places, then find ones in those places before/after saving their island from bad things to go to more.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Judge Tesla posted:

So E.L.L.I.E is going to feed soup to her dead master for all of eternity in a desperate attempt to revive him, I'd say that was pretty dark but Robot Island itself was pretty dark with the robot hordes killing people, children included.

if you go back after clearing a few more island she's stopped moving

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Okay, so how long am I gonna have to wait until I get Aishe? I'm at La Cielo now, for reference. I kinda miss having six dudes to experiment with vocation-wise like in 6...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zore posted:

Keifer comes back in the postgame for the remake

This still seems kind of eh besides getting to drag him around to hear his party chats (which aren't even that much, because it's 7) and dragging him back to his sister, since, you know, 0 MP and all.