Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Terpfen posted:

My impression of DQ10: Horii is taking a second stab at what DQ9 was originally supposed to be. And it appears to play like DQ8, which is hugely welcome to me. DQ8 was the best game in the series; any imitation or extension of DQ8's core design is fine with me.

Now, the question is how Nintendo of America is going to market a Wii RPG in the wake of Operation Rainfall.

"Hey y'all, check out this awesome Wii U launch title, it's a MMORPG"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

thetrin posted:

No dude. It is online. Whether that means a full MMO, or a Guild Wars style game with instanced fields isn't known, but it's not just DQ with online co-op. The game requires that you connect to the internet to even play the game beyond the tutorial. From there, yeah, you can just get some AI bros and go kick the poo poo out of golems and slimes, but it's not just DQIX for Wii. You better believe the quest structure, the way the story is told, and the structure of the game are heavily influenced by the fact that it is totally online.

Man, Metal hunting is gonna suuuuuuuck.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Skeezy posted:

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/06/dragon_quest_x_famicom/

There's also an NES version of DQX coming out :dance:

The website it cites is called "虚構新聞," which could literally be translated as "Faux News."

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Boomerangs are ok, but like in every Dragon Quest game, there's a pretty significant drop-off in quality boomerangs compared to other weapons. You'll probably want to have points in Swords or something, so your Hero can actually hurt bosses.

I gave Yangus Scythes, but they're not particularly useful. I like the instant death attack, but I'm pretty sure most people go with Axes for him.

Whips are awesome and can make Jessica the strongest physical attacker. You should also put points in Wands, because I believe they'll give her more spells.

Bows are the best for Angelo, because there's a Bow attack that steals MP from enemies. This is a pretty useful skill for your party's Cleric. Like Jessica, he gets new spells with Wands, so you may want to invest in that, too.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Himuro posted:

Okay, so we can muse ideas on how they should do a hypothetical DW7 remake that will raise it to the rest of the series standards:

1. No shards. Time travel works like in Chrono Trigger: you unlock new time periods through normal plot progression, no collecting shards or anything to unlock a new time portal.

Keep shards, but make environments smaller so it isn't such a chore. Both DQIV and DQV DS have smaller environments than their PS/PS2 versions, so it isn't like this'll compromise the game.

Also, put the fortune teller who points you toward shards in a saner location, rather than at the bottom of the Mecha Valley.

Himuro posted:

2. Unlock the Dharma Temple 10-20 hours earlier. 30 or so hours to unlock classes is retarded.

Smaller environments would definitely help this.

Himuro posted:

4. A big problem with DW7 classes system is that it's too grindy for its own good, and this is coming from me, the guy who never grinds in DQ. It's not that you grind because it's hard, you grind because that's the only way to get progress on your classes. Make it FFV style, or hell DQIX style. I know they won't get rid of classes in general, but if I could, I would. The characters are different enough as it is. Remake it so that the characters have unique skill sheets you can customize ala VIII, and you got yourself a winner, with less time on your shoulders.

Dragon Quest IX-style sounds nice. DQVII also suffers from having way too many classes for too few characters. I'd be ok with excising monster classes entirely. They're a neat idea, but there just aren't enough party members to make them viable without tons and tons of grinding.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

That's actually a pretty standard price for Japanese games. It just sounds like a lot because US games tend to have a much lower price point.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Himuro posted:

No way, it totally has bad pacing. If it takes over 30 hours to unlock the class system, that's terrible pacing. It's like how in Final Fantasy XIII you had to play 20 hours to change party leader/pick any paradigm/actually poo poo that's not the story. Except in FFXIII's case, this means it takes half the game.

It only takes like fifteen hours. That's still a lot and really annoying, but it's like half of what you're claiming.

Mister Roboto posted:

Really. You didn't grind substantially more than any other DQ?

I remember spending a few hours at the end of the game grinding out the Hero class, but that was mostly unnecessary.

What would help DQ7 the most would be shrinking the environments like they did in DQ4 DS, but since this is a full remake maybe they'll just arrange things better in the first place so it won't take so long just to get from point A to point B.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 30, 2012

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I just hope they've taken all the game-crashing bugs out that made me eventually hurl DW7 in disgust even though I'd been originally tabbed to work on it. (I ended up doing GBC DW3 and DWM2 over the same period. I did get asked to edit and rewrite the whole thing, but I was too burned out, and only did the jester battle lines.)

One particularly notable crash was an event involving a robot boss. When I beat it in battle, it gave its death speech, which ended in gibberish. And then, the screen went all weird and the game crashed. I remember being impressed by this "staging" until I realized it was a real crash.

You did the Jester lines for DW7? Those were really good. I remember being impressed with them when I played it recently (~2010), and also kind of bewildered because they were so well written compared to the rest of the game.

"Cannibox do the Hustle? No, it doesn't have Defeat for it."

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Yeah. You did that. (Guess who had to do a couple of dungeons twice.) Bought the guide to avoid that mid-game: the guide was based on an old build or faulty info or something and doesn't list everything correctly.

Also yeah the thing was hella grindy. I have still never beat it, technically, because 180 hours in I'm in the endgame and I didn't optimize my jobs enough so I have to go into the final dungeon (the only place in the game where enemies give me job XP anymore) and beat on things for a bit to try and get new skills and every time I do the loading times per battle and pace kill me and that dungeon is so huge and ugh.

I don't think I've even seen the endboss' final form, and the last save point is somewhere around a half hour of gameplay away from him, from memory. Outside the dungeon.

I'm pretty sure every new dungeon you can enter on disc 2 has no level cap when it comes to job experience.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

DQ7 is amazing, but it's long and stuck to the sprite-based design which had people crying because it wasn't 3D like FF7 and others. Getting to the top end classes can be brutal though. I think there was a summoner class that took something like 2300 battles to reach and master, while Godhand was in the 1500 range?

I loved the game but it's easily the longest Dragon Quest out there. The biggest complaint I saw wasn't that it was long, but that finding shards was a massive pain in the rear end at times, since some were only visible when you rotated the camera or were in vague locations. Other people bitched that it took about an hour from start until first battle.

I wouldn't say DQ7 has a lot of difficulty though, but it depends on how you setup your characters and their classes.

Pretty sure I unlocked Dharma at around 15-20 hours the first time I played it.

I definitely spent the next 5-10 grinding jobs though. Hard to say no to Marabel as a sage with the Hero as a maxxed Battlemaster working on Paladin (and Gabbo a paladin working on battlemaster). Dual Godhands and 1-2 sages for the end game? :getin:

Plus it doesn't have any sort of brick wall boss like Mudo in DQ6 who was just a giant gently caress You to players since he was right before Dharma, yet was harder than the next boss or two.

I'm not sure how this is possible. If you were grinding that much you'd have to have at least a handful of the 2nd tier classes unlocked for characters even if you didn't get GodHand/Summoner/Superstar(?) for anyone. At a high level you can beat the final boss using intermediate classes but if you got the advanced ones it does help. I think I beat it using 2 Godhands, a Ranger, and a Sage. I forgot their levels but it wasn't very high as most of my job grinding was done right outside of Dharma.

They could have gotten wrapped up in Monster classes, and that's involves a whole lotta work for any payoff whatsoever.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

They really didn't think Monster Classes through in DQ7, at all. Way too much work to be worth while.

I kind of hope they change it up. Maybe give you a monster party member who's thing is the monster classes, so they become worthwhile.

I don't know, it makes sense to me!

:shepicide:

When it comes to the human classes, you can reasonably figure out a logical progression (Mariner x Thief = Pirate, Warrior x Mage = Magic Knight, etc), but the monster classes are just an all out free for all of nonsense.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

This one time my newly minted cleric gained 25 HP at level 2.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

So there's at least a little bit of visible equipment.

Swords and shields are visible, but it looks like the outfits change with your job:

(Maribel is a Pirate here)

(Hero is a Ranger/Magic Knight/Armamentalist or whatever they called it in 9)

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Himuro posted:

loving. The remake still has shards. gently caress. gently caress.

It does, but there's an option on the menu that lets you ask the little bug fella where the next shard is located at any time.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Nihnoz posted:

Is it blasphemy to say that I just looked them up in a FAQ.

No, it's perfectly reasonable.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Dragon Quest VII 3DS News:

There's now a Shard Radar on the bottom screen's mini map. It glows as you get closer to shards, and if you're close enough for the shard's location to appear on the bottom screen's minimap the location of the shard will actually be marked for you. Life keeps getting more convenient.

Dragon Quest X News:

Luminary is in DQX. The Body Guard skill makes me giggle, as does the Golden Shower thing (although that one is old news).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Himuro posted:

Holy poo poo the shard minimap made my day.

You're like half the reason I posted it.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

It's not quite Terry's Wonderland 3D, but in Dragon Quest VII 3DS you can put together a team of three monsters and go exploring a cave to find the shards used in the game's streetpass system.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Man they really, really, really changed the first dungeon of DQ7 for the 3DS version. Like, it doesn't have puzzles anymore, you just run around the island collecting the Saints' stuff from some new locations. For people who didn't like the lengthy intro of the PSX version, it's now basically nothing at all.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

I want to start playing Dragon Quest VII on the PS1.
Is there anything I need to know before I start?

There's a remake for the 3DS that may or may not be released in your region.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Wendell posted:

Okay, that's a really weird opinion.

Not liking the camera seems like a pretty common complaint, I can see why it would irritate people. I don't mind the graphics though, especially the costume changes:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Did they change how the Job system works in 7 much in the remake?

Hybrid skills have been folded into regular skill sets, rather than requiring you to be proficient in two different classes one after another.
Most of the basic jobs have had their mastery levels dramatically reduced (for example: In the PS version, Cleric takes 180 battles to master. In the 3DS version it takes 97).
Tons of abilities can only be used in the class you learned it in, but to compensate for this many of the higher level classes have more diverse, overlapping skill sets.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

To be honest, the only way I'd ever be able to finish DQ8 would be if I had it on my phone.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

New Dragon Quest stuff coming to the US, probably:

quote:

Siliconera dug up trademarks for Luminaries of the Legendary Line and The Seeds of Salvation registered in Japan by Square Enix. These trademarks are in English, which suggest they will be used for a Western release.

The article is a bit more optimistic, speculating that it'll be some of the recent 3DS offerings, but those titles are almost assuredly going to be for Dragon Quest 1+2 (Legends) and Dragon Quest 3 (Seeds) smartphone ports.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Screenshots of the DQ1 mobile port.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The earlier releases of the patch had some pretty big bugs, if I remember right. Stuff like checking the party status screen would cause the game to crash, that sort of thing. But those were worked out years ago.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Dragon Quest II isn't too hard, but it's damned inconvenient. To bring it up to speed with the rest of the series, it would need some means of fast travel.

Fast travel, an infinite storage bag, and reworking the spell lists.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

Like the Return spell, or Wings of the Wyvern?

The usefulness of those are limited in DQ2 because they return you to the last save point you used instead of letting you pick your destination. The general lack of save points in the game, coupled with how many Warp Gates you're required to use, makes getting from Point A to Point B a huge pain.

I think in the previous mobile phone version of DQ2, they upped the level caps for the Prince and Princess to 50. Is it the same in smartphone version?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Camel Pimp posted:

Am I the only one who found some characters in 4 hard to understand? For the most part I don't mind the silly stuff they put in the translation, but I can understand why people dislike the accents. Aside from 4 I don't have problem understanding the accents, but sometimes they do waaaay overboard (Sancho, anyone?)

4 was definitely the worst, but I think the Jonah storyarc in 9 deserves an honorable mention too. When I was playing that part I kept thinking about how lovely that part must be for younger audiences because of how thick it was.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

A game where all of your teammates are actually alternate versions of you is actually an interesting concept.

DQ9 missed a great chance.

I mean that's pretty much what happens in multiplayer.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

One of the Goof Off jokes in DQ7 is "Cannibox do the Hustle? No, it doesn't have Defeat for it" and that is the pinnacle of Dragon Quest-related humor.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Tucked In The Cut posted:

How come the princess is kinda useless in DQ2 mobile? Her most damaging spell sucks compared to Green Dude's most damaging spell, and she's supposed to be the token mage. Is there a second page of spells, or is she stuck doing 20-30 damage to groups of enemies?

Because DQ2 is poorly balanced. She eventually gets Kaboom, which does decent (~70) damage, but for the most part she's dead weight.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

The whole squad follows you in FMS, while BMS are vertical/first person. Munchie is present ontop of 8's head.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

In DQ Heroes who are the guy and girl they show at the start. The main characters of DQ Heroes itself?

Yeah, there are five original characters. The guy in blue is named Act, the blonde girl is Mar, the big muscly dude is Duke and the bowgun lady in purple is named Juliet. There's also a side kick Heal Slime.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

They're reusing this joke in Dragon Quest Heroes.

Alltrades is in TDQ, but they haven't said what it does. I'm assuming it's gonna be the same as the Card Crystarium in TFF. (If anyone cares, the name they use for him is "The Hero Solo")

(But that's because CollectaCards are a thing in TDQ)

Instead of getting items by happening across Moogles on FMS, you come across Barrel Triggers.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Some character designs were not meant for the Theatrhythm Style.

Anyway, the names they're using for the main characters in TDQ are:
1: Loto's Descendant
2: Prince of Lorasia
3: The Legendary Hero
4: The Hero Solo
6: The Hero Reck (I assume it's meant to be derived from "Reidock")
8: The Hero Eight
9: The Sentinel Nine
10: Ogre

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Is there a world map in this game? Maybe I'm too early or maybe I'm missing something obvious but I can't seem to figure out how to view the world map. I remember just pressing Select on the GBC version.

As I recall, you get it right before you leave the first continent.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Apparently Morrie and Red are playable characters now.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Skeezy posted:

If this is true that is awesome.

That's what 4gamer and Famitsu are reporting.

Edit: Actually, let me back up and say that it says they join as allies, that could mean they're similar to Trode in that they follow the party around but don't actually fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010