Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Myrmeleo posted:

Ugh, I think I hosed up in DQ6.

I was at Scrimsley and trying to help out Amos. I told him the truth because I thought he should be told. Now that I got the seeds of reason I come back to see he's nowhere around. Is he permanently gone???

Aside that, I think I like this version's way of handling vocations than in DQ9.

Yeah, he's gone. If you don't tell him the truth and then get the seeds he joins your party. I didn't really like him that much, his only unique skill is turning into a monster which makes him uncontrollable for the rest of the battle. He's a physical fighter, but doesn't get any unique skills like Carver so I benched him after a couple of fights.

Now Terry, there's a character the game is making me look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Mister Roboto posted:

Man, the music is pretty awful in this edition. Not that DQ was ever Uematsu, but even the early NES tunes were more...tuneful than some of these.
The dream world and real world map themes are pretty good, it's just that you only hear it in five second intervals before BASS STRUMS

I really hate the battle music in this game. Just for the first ten seconds.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I wonder if the DQ7 remake will let you get Kiefer back at some point in the game. Even if it's just a new secret sidequest.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question about DQH, kinda. Getting around to see everyones super cool big flashy attack and realized I haven't seen Kiryl's despite liking the nerd.

I really don't get what's going on with his text box spam, can someone ruin the joke for me?
It's a reference back to his original appearance in Dragon Quest 4. In the NES version, all allies were AI-controlled, and Kiryl's AI tended to use Whack and Thwack more often than not, even when the enemy was immune to it or your team was in danger of dying.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I hope they make the US release of DQ7 3DS harder. The Japanese version was way too easy.

I'm also really curious to see what the new localization is like.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
There seems to be some slight lag on menus that display a lot of text, like in the Items screen, the Status screen, or when entering commands in battle. It wasn't present in the Japanese version, so my only guess is that somehow the English font rendering is causing some slowdown. I hope it gets patched. :sigh:

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Ceramics posted:

I've been playing all day and haven't really noticed any input lag, plenty of pop in though. I'm on a cfw n3ds with higher clock speed enabled which doesnt seem to improve most games but maybe thats making a difference here?
Could be. I'm on a New 3DS without CFW clock speeds. I'm playing a digital version, but from what I can tell digital/cart doesn't make a difference. The frame rate drop in the Attributes - Everyone page is VERY noticeable though. It's like 10-15 FPS while that page is up, and a quarter second delay when switching from character to character in the Attributes page.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Hivac posted:

I gotta say, whatever they used to make the spawning mechanics in 8 3DS are really odd. It's like the game has no object permanence :psyduck:

It's the most aggressive object culling I think I've ever seen in a 3D game. It's like scrolling enemies off screen in the NES Mega Man.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
On a news post on the Steam page yesterday they posted system requirements for 4K resolution, so I'm guessing if it supports that, it'll probably be a fine port. If it isn't, then hopefully it reveals itself within the first 2 hours so I can get a refund.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
The localization for this is really fantastic, I just noticed Michelle the Mermaid speaks in more or less rhyming iambic heptameter couplets

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I didn't feel the game was insultingly easy playing with no Draconian options, I still hit a few road blocks where I had to grind out a few levels. But I also avoided a lot of random encounters (because it's very easy to in this game) and I also feel like Dragon Quest is best enjoyed when it's a little on the easy side.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I didn't really love Dragon Quest games until 8, and then 11 was 8 but better, so it's me! I'm the person they sold out for!! :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I thought IX was pretty bland, especially after how good VIII was. I honestly don't remember anything about it except for the gyaru fairy and the flying train.