Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

iastudent posted:

Am I right in assuming that the only difference between both versions is how frequently certain monsters show up, and that there's no wild monsters unique to one version?

Pretty much, although they have access to different towers. I think Cobi gets the brawn key and Tara gets the baffle key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

There really isn't any word out about Terry's Wonderland heading West is there? Or the new Rocket Slime? Someone must hate money.

Seriously, it's not like the DQM games weren't popular over here. Whats the deal?

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The new ending has you marry Jessica at the end instead.

Hahaha, that's so loving random. Did they ever even have a scene of them talking in the original?

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The 3DS version adds new scenes where you talk with her and if you pick the right options throughout the game , you get that ending instead.

Are they on a dialogue wheel too? If so, I'm naming the hero Shepard and picking the all the renegade options that let me punch Charmles in the face.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Prism posted:

Antagonist, not protagonist.

Although, 8 did start out with a human antagonist. The real bad guy may have been something else, but that dude knew what he was getting into when he nabbed the staff.

Edit: gently caress that post was from a page ago

Hyedum fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 18, 2016

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I named him WeedGoku

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
Is it worth using the second Sun Crown to make another Timbrel? It has become very apparent that immunity to confusion is incredibly valuable in the boss rush area and I don't know if I can get any more Skull Helms.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010
Just got some metal slime earrings through the downloadable bonus content on dq8. They sure are something :stare:

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

BattleTech posted:

Second question is Joker 3 any good? I've eyeballing a copy on ebay and I'm not sure if should pull the trigger on it.

From what I understand, Joker 3 is the worst of the games. However, the same people say Joker 3: Professional is the best of the games? Not sure how that works, but I don't speak Japanese, so I have to rely on hearsay. Hopefully the team can get past the overflow error roadblock so us plebs can find out. Regarding the purchase, I'm sure people were discussing it here, so you might want to check some of the less recent pages for their dope opinions.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Joker 3 and Joker 3 professional are basically the same game, except the latter has almost literally double the content and some new features.

There are nearly twice as many recruitable/fuseable monsters, including way more unique models. The core monster set involves a lot of pallette color swapped versions that are slightly different stat-wise, however there are few if any such swaps among the 200+ that were added in professional.

Also, the end to the Joker story line is only present in Pro, which actually provides quite a bit of offline content to do. What a lot of English speakers who are interested in the series neglect is that the main appeal of the 3DS monster series is online multiplayer, which means playing the original (especially at this point in time, since most of the player base has moved on to Pro) doesn't have very much to offer. The Pro version even has a feature that lets you skip events up until the end of the first part of the story just by pushing a button, so that you can reach the end of the game and prepare to battle online more quickly.

The online meta was probably best in DQM2, but is more stable in Pro than vanilla 3. I have unfortunately faced cheaters before, but I guess that can always be expected in online games.

Oh, lmao. That'll do it I guess.

As someone who has played 3pro, how does the endgame content compare to Terry's Wonderland? I really loved it, but I found myself struggling to stay interested in grinding out the cool super monster combos (gently caress rainbow eggs). A short time after beating the extra story bit, I only turned it on to do the wifi battles every day (got a sweet rear end Darkonium Slime out of it, tho) and used the chance gate like, twice. I was really hoping the one currently being translated would have a bit more variety in post-game content so I can make a bomb rear end Dracolord or something. That being said, I'd probably have a blast either way. It would just be a little more to look forward to.

FAKE EDIT: also, what's the word on unobtainable monsters? I recall there being some power ranger monsters that were a McDonald's WiFi exclusive or some poo poo, so that kind of bummed me out. It would be pretty cool if you could obtain all the monsters this time around without having to go to Japan on a certain date (that was probably a year ago).

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

I did a thing.

This kicks rear end, just thought I'd let you know.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Plasbad posted:

It's actually version specific if I remember correctly. GreatDrak only shows up in Cobi's version.

Was about to post this. I remember playing tara's version after beating cobi's and being really disappointed that I couldn't farm greatdraks from that level. It was nice being able to tame bosstrolls though.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

HPanda posted:

Not :gooon:?

:slime11:

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

YggiDee posted:

The other problem with DQIX is that all of your party members are hired extras with no personality and there's no Party Chat, so NPCs have to carry the character development.

You're flappin' right they do.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Awesome, thanks. Never thought to look in there. Anyone noticed jump seems to be 100% useless? Can't seem to jump up or down ledges, or even over small obstructions. I'm in the Snow Kingdom and I don't think I've found anything I could jump on yet.

You can use it to minimize damage on floor hazards, but other than that it's useless, yeah.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

How good/bad is this remake compared to, say, Joker 3 (regular, not professional)? Currently playing the SaGa Frontier remaster but I want to give this a try with the fan patch.

It doesn't have the same problem that J3 did with the rampant palette swaps (or at least not to the same degree), so I'm enjoying breeding and collecting way more than I did in J3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I linked your work to the guy who made the machine translated patch, hope that's okay. You did say to spread it. He's put together a patch using your translation.
https://www.woodus.com/forums/topic/40623-dragon-quest-monsters-joker-3-professional-english-patch/

I look forward to playing it. Thanks for the hard work.

Someone also linked it in the translations discord right in front of the lead translator's face lmao.

I wonder how that'll go, the dude seems almost entirely humorless.