Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
From a technical standpoint, 8's menus are a lot slower than any other DQ that comes to mind. I didn't like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want a DQ7 remake on the 360 or PC :(

In the interests of not disappointing yourself, I'd suggest you give up on those dreams ASAP.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Great puns are humanity's foremost achievement and proof that we are an englightened species.

Pry those puns from our cold dead fingers.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Could someone refresh my memory on the current status of DQXI?

It's supposed to be developed for both the 3DS and the PS4 or something, right?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

And once the game bombs they'll be all 'We shouldn't have released this.'

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I hope the 3DS version with the retro look makes it here too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

Man I forgot just how dark this game gets.

I could never forget the village where everyone gets turned to stone, the one survivor goes out on a quest to find a cure, and many years later when he succeeds, he realizes the statues have eroded too much for them to be saved.

And the best/worst part was that he knows that if he had the presence of mind to move the statues into shelter before setting out they could have been cured no problem.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

First thing you need to understand is that a lot of poo poo in DQ is there for tradition's sake. Like the sound effects have almost barely ever changed all the way from the beginning of the series, and yes, the 'Examine' function is another artifact of that time period that remains for that sense of nostalgia despite the fact that you can just press 'A'.

Yep, limited individual inventories are a thing, and the bag is for all the stuff you don't need right now. The game is pretty good about auto-sorting stuff for you when individual inventories get too full, so it's not a big deal IMO.

'Tactics' is something you can do to let the AI handle fights for your party members. Most people will never deal with it and give commands themselves the entire game. Again, a product of nostalgia retaining a function that doesn't really need to be there.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I enjoy them up to the point where they get too thick for me to understand when glancing through the written lines.

Looking at you, Chapter 1 of DQ4.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Your Computer posted:

So here's another dumb question: a lot of these games have a lot of complicated systems (like you're currently discussing), but how important are they for a "casual" first time playthrough? Are you going to screw yourself over and not be able to beat the final boss or will your party just be "less efficient"? I know a lot of JRPGs allow the player to completely break them with the proper clever use of game systems, but some unfortunately allow the player to essentially dig themselves into a ditch and be unable to complete the game. Is there anything to look out for in any of the DQ games?

No. Most DQ games are very straightforward affairs and you don't really need to worry about ever screwing yourself over.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

No platform announcement yet. Maaan I hope the 3DS version comes over for the retro goodness.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

PS4 version is confirmed for localization, and it was the most likely one anyway.

Now to wait and hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

The Kins posted:

XI has been announced for the west on PS4 and Steam.

Yay!

quote:

No 3DS translation, it seems. Due September 4th.

gently caress!