Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I've only really played the main series except 6, 7 and 9. Haven't played Joker or Caravan Hearts or anything like that. Having said that 5 is my personal favourite. It just seemed really fresh to me which is funny as Dragon Quest games are about as traditional as you can get. I really liked 3 too, I liked the customization and I've heard Dragon Quest 9 is very similar to 3 in a lot of respects.

Did anyone here like 2? I tried to like it but I wasn't really having much fun with it and by the time I got to the last few dungeons (it was in some kind of cavern I think), I just gave up. gently caress that dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

It's worth noting this little fact.

http://www.1up.com/news/square-confirms-dragon-quest-online

quote:

Series creator Yuji Horii and other key personnel were on-hand to describe the game's behind-the-scenes story. Apparently DQX will be first game in the series to be developed by an internal Square Enix team (previous titles since the original having been contracted out to developers like Chun Soft, Heartbeat, TOSE, and Level-5). Development is being headed up by Yosuke Saito, whose most recent project, Nier, has become a cult phenomenon among certain RPG fanatics. While Nier and Dragon Quest could make for some strange bedfellows, at the very least it probably won't be boring.

Now I pretty much have to get the game. There has to be Drakengard-esque or Nier-like insanity involved in this game, deep amidst the inevitable punny names and Toriyama artstyle.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dragon Quest I: The game is interesting to look at because of how JRPGs evolved since this game. It's a bit clunky to play nowadays but otherwise isn't too bad.
Dragon Quest II: Frustration. I was about to give up once I reached the Cave to Rhone, then I learned I was near the end of the game anyway so I pushed on.
Dragon Quest III: Really fun. Still very much playable today too.
Dragon Quest IV: Very fun but a bit underwhelmed by the end. Still good though.
Dragon Quest V: Definitely my favorite game in the series by a wide margin.
Dragon Quest VI: Haven't played too much of. I keep starting and then losing interest and moving on to something else.
Dragon Quest VII: Frustration 2. Mostly for different reasons though. I never beat this game and I don't really feel compelled to find that shard I've missed.
Dragon Quest VIII: Very beautiful and refreshing game to play. Much needed simplification after Dragon Quest VII.
Dragon Quest IX: It's basically Dragon Quest III but with more customization and multiplayer of sorts. Loved it.
Dragon Quest X: Very much a wait and see. I want to be optimistic and I would be optimistic if it had an offline and online mode but since the game is online only...

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The only time I can recall where the International version was basically the localized versions of the game is Final Fantasy VII, which had Emerald and Ruby Weapon as boss fights. Every other incarnation of International has had new stuff in them. Final Fantasy X had whole new boss fights not available in the US version (it was localized for PAL however). Final Fantasy X-2 had a brand new epilogue, new sphere grids and a monster capturing system which not only allowed the use of various monsters to join your party but various other characters from X and X-2 such as Auron, Baralai and Seymour. Final Fantasy XII International had too many changes to list, the completely new job system only scratches the surface of new content.

Final Fantasy XIII International on the other hand had... an added easy mode and nothing else. :effort:

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Dragon Quest II also has one of the most infuriating dungeons I've encountered in a JRPG, known as the "Cave to Rhone". That dungeon near the end of the game really soured my experience with the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

DQ7 just drags on too long before anything cool happens, finding all of the shards got annoying pretty quickly and unlocking the classes probably means it is the grindiest DQ game. I honestly never had the patience for it and it's the only DQ game I've never beaten. DQ7 may well have really interesting vignettes but bad game design and pacing issues just kill any drive I have to get to those points. I had a similar problem with DQ6 but at least I managed to force myself through that one.

Honestly, DQ8 being much more simple in comparison was probably the best thing for the series, in my opinion.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Wait people think Dragon Quest 2 isn't too hard?
Cave to Rhodes was one of the most frustrating experiences in an RPG I ever had.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Really? 5 is my personal favorite, from the monster taming to the coming of age story of childhood through to fatherhood.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I thought 9 did really really well though?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Anything more said on DQ VII coming over? It seems Square-Enix weren't exactly pleased with him announcing it so I'm kind of dreading a Mega Man Legends 3 situation where Square-Enix will go "not enough demand in the west, gently caress you" out of spite or something.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm sure at least one of the versions will make it over.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Oh man, if they could somehow work dynamic soundtracks depending on which control option you use, that'd be amazing. Imagine going from a symphony in 3D mode, to chiptunes in 2D mode.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I haven't gotten around to DQX yet but I just finished V after having it language in my backlog for several years and wow, what a game. It's a pretty simple story but it really hit all the right beats, especially the first half of the game. I would definitely recommend it for anyone jaded on JRPG stories, it's very moving.

It's one of my favorite JRPGs of all time and manages to do some neat twists with the typical chosen hero formula.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I still think Square-Enix would do pretty well porting Dragon Quest to Steam. The games Dragon Quest were inspired by all started on the PC and I think there'd be more PC gamers who have a nostalgia for the game systems Dragon Quest has over console players. I could be wrong, but that's the impression I get.

Only problem is, I just know if they were to port them to PC it'd be the mobile versions.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I played through the SFC versions about 5 years back and I can't remember any bugs. But the SFC or GBC versions are the way to go if you're going to play them, the NES versions are just an exercise in frustration.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

I agree... partially. DQI isn't so much frustrating as grindy, but II is an absolute hair-pulling torture session right up until the end game. I played III all the way through last year and it was still very good... moderately grindy, yes, but that doesn't bother me much - I used to play EverQuest, for gently caress's sake. I will state that III holds up reasonably well today and the graphics still have a charm to them. I have never played IV on the NES, but one of these days I am going to put in that Game Genie code that turns off party AI and have a go at it.

I'm currently playing a rather low-budget game on the iPad called "Epic Warrior", which is the most shameless DQ1 ripoff you can imagine. I might drop $3 on the real DQ1 at some point and try it. If I finish it, I can try II, then III if I finish that one etc

Dragon Quest II is an exercise in torture and frustration no matter which version you play to be perfectly honest. Cave to Rhone almost broke me.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nickoten posted:

I honestly didn't find II too hard at all up to the near-end game, honestly. My problem was more that I just had a hard time sticking with it once you get to the point right before Rhone where you're running errands around the world. I didn't find the scenarios at that point to be very compelling compared to the games before and after it. I think Cave to Rhone is where people quit and it colors the rest of the game as a result.

Edit: This is about the GBC version which I don't doubt was made easier.

The Cave to Rhone is pretty near the end of the game too, so people would quit when they're almost done with the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

This has been a good day for Dragon Quest fans. VII and VIII 3DS getting localized and Heroes coming to Steam.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

raditts posted:

Speaking of, I just finished DQ3 on Android today. I guess I'll put this in spoilers in case the guy above me hasn't played it before, but was it as much of a surprise back when the game first came out on NES that the boss bad guy has a boss bad guy who's badder than he is and surprise it's a prequel to DQ1?

If there's a sale going on, I guess now would be the perfect time to pick up 4-6.

It was in Japan, yeah. People went absolutely crazy over Dragon Quest III and that twist blew them away at the time.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The Machine posted:

Are you guys hyped to play Dragon Quest Heroes again via Steam tomorrow?

I'm waiting to see what the port will be like. I can get it cheaper on PS4 but would prefer it on PC, but if the port's garbage or somehow based on the Japan only PS3 version of Dragon Quest Heroes then I'll just pick it up for PS4.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Kiggles posted:

Resolution being locked at all is basically inexcusable. That was the whole point of DSFix. The game ran fine at 4K. A single individual had the software to make it happen on day one. A game that outputs 16:9 NOT supporting 4K (another 16:9 reoslution) is silly, not the people who would complain about it.

Framerate is at least OK, but can have all sorts of really strange things break when unlocked, and can be difficult to fix without breaking other things. This usually has to be accounted for from the start of development.

There's plenty of people complaining the game doesn't take advantage of their new 144Hz monitor they picked up during Black Friday. While I kind of agree with you about the resolution, most of the complains about the port are from complete babies.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tae posted:

The major complaint is that the cutscenes dysnc horriblely unless you're playing on a lower resolution (like, lower than 720p).

I can't say that's happened with me at all. I could just be very lucky, I suppose but I don't see much about it from a quick Google search either so it's probably not that common. The major complaint I've seen about the port, besides it not supporting 4K and 144Hz is that the keyboard and mouse controls are terrible, which I agree with and you absolutely do need a controller for the game.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I find Aurora to be a much more entertaining protagonist than Luceus, probably because she's gung-ho and crazy.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Potsticker has really awful opinions.

I mean 4's good, but 5 kind of blew me away when I first played it in 2010 because of how much of a gutpunch the game was. So much so that moving on to 6 and especially 7 kind of soured me on the series because they just didn't stack up to 5 or even 4 for that matter, since alongside DQ 2 I think they're amongst the weakest titles in the series.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ghost of Starman posted:

Oh, that's interesting - I would've figured it was more DW with some DQ flavor. How's it different from standard Dynasty Warriors gameplay?

The gameplay is more focused on defending various points on the map than going out and killing things, though you'll be going out and killing things anyway. You can pick up monster medals which you can place around the battlefield to spawn friendly monsters which can help hold off enemies too, which you can use while you defend another point or find hidden treasure in the map or something.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Scalding Coffee posted:

Thanks for that.

Square should have said in the system requirements tab that it requires Steam, but the boxart in the top left hand corner has the Steam logo and as far as I know, Square don't have their own distribution platform so it's most likely a Steam key you'll get.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Has there been any word about Builders heading to the west? It is definitely My poo poo and I'd probably buy a console over it.

October 11 for US, October 14 for Europe.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/dragon-quest-builders-announced-for-north-america-/1100-6440267/

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Awesome Welles posted:

I got DQV and I'm playing through it for the first time ever, this game seems like a bunch of rad adventures with dad, I wonder when things are going to-

...Oh.

...Oh.

Oh. Ok. :smith:

"Pankraz stoically endures the assault."

I figured something was going to happen but haha murdered dad and child slavery, that got bleak fast

DQV is my favorite game in the series. Enjoy, it's a hell of a ride.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I kind of want to replay the Dragon Quest games again because of DQ VII and Builders as it's been nearly 6 years since I last played some of them. What's the best way to play them nowadays? I would get 1-6 on mobile and support the official release but I hate touch screen controls on my phone, don't really have a half decent and desperately wishing they'd port them to PC or something. Is there any way to play the mobile versions on PC?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

If you played 7 then why not use the DS ports for 5 and 6? 5 at least was $20 on Amazom, same for 4 but yeah just emulate the mobile version after supporting the official release since 4 was really bad about giving it's really good characters non-party chat dialogue and guess what the DS version cut out!

I think I actually played the PS2 port of 5 last time so I probably will go with either DS or mobile for that one, I never got to see Debora. I played through 4 on the DS but will probably go with mobile on that too just for the party chat feature.

I managed to get 1-3 to run pretty well through Droid4X, as Bluestacks isn't that great and Genymotion didn't want to work with the games after I set it up. I can also use WSAD for movement so I don't mind just clicking on the screen to touch buttons but use WSAD for navigating, I just find touch controls imprecise for JRPGs which have random battles and it's easy to take a step too far in the wrong direction and get into an unnecessary random battle. Haven't tried 4-6 yet but I'd imagine they'd work okay with Droid4X too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

how the hell do anyone play DQ on the mobile. The controls feels terrible and I keep accidentally entering and exiting places.

I have no idea either and they don't have controller support either . It's why I installed Droid4x and ran the games through that on PC, at least I can move the protagonists with WSAD which is easier to control.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

1-3 aren't terrible, and the only version of the games I'm getting that have all the puns I know and love, and I'm tolerating 4. It is somewhat baffling why they haven't gone the no-brainer route of porting the mobile versions of 1-6 to the 3DS and/or PC.

I don't think Dragon Quest Heroes did well on PC. Even though that game plays completely differently from normal Dragon Quest games and is even more niche than the main games and Square-Enix are absolutely stupid to use that game as an indication of interest in PC ports of the main series.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, but even then there's still the 3DS/Vita. It just seems weird to be so normally conservative about your games' ports/remakes but be cool with a phone port of them and only phones.

I don't know if you've noticed but Square-Enix's western branch doesn't give a poo poo about Dragon Quest. It's always been either Nintendo or Tecmo-Koei in Heroes case that brought the games over, with the notable exception of Builders and I think that's just because some suit thinks it will sell because of the similarity to Minecraft. I think Square-Enix were hoping Dragon Quest VIII on PS2 would be a mega-hit like Final Fantasy in the west but instead it only sold decent numbers so they swore off bringing the games over unless another publisher takes an interest in the property. If I remember correctly IX was only brought over because of Nintendo as well.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ofecks posted:

Is there an endless/survival-type mode? Or once you finish the chapters that's it?

You can unlock free build mode after finishing Chapter 1 and there are light survival mechanics where you need to obtain food to survive.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Eopia posted:

Pretty sure there's a new ending too, although I don't know what it is or what you have to do to get it.

The new ending has you marry Jessica at the end instead.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hyedum posted:

Hahaha, that's so loving random. Did they ever even have a scene of them talking in the original?

The 3DS version adds new scenes where you talk with her and if you pick the right options throughout the game , you get that ending instead.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

No matter which version of 2 you play though, Cave to Rhone is such a huge spike in difficulty and a giant roadblock overall. Every time I feel like revisiting 2, I remember that section of the game which is actually near the end and lose any compulsion to replay it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Looks like Dragon Quest Heroes 2 is coming out for PC too. Same date as the console versions. Now if only Square-Enix would bring the mainline games onto PC too.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Never played the mobile version of 2 but yeah, it's pretty rough. Especially in the late game. I wouldn't really say Dragon Quest got "great" until 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Slayerjerman posted:

So can we all agree DQ2 is good in its own special way.. DQ1 i feel was worse, but it didnt have insta-kill spells to wreck your day, so i can understand the hate.

But that i feel like the slog of a walk through the final castle was as bad as the final slog in DQ2.

Dragon Quest 1 was old and short enough that it's a fun historical curiosity if nothing else. Dragon Quest 2 is modern enough to feel like a normal JRPG but still has very outdated game design.

I hear the mobile port of 2 is hugely rebalanced though, I'm just going off the original.