Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Not a very big fan of the main series, always felt it was a bit draggy with too much grinding. Dragon Quest/Warrior Monsters on the other hand were two delightful games. The breeding system takes the Pokemon recipe and churns it into something continuously exciting. You'll never have to chuck your old monster into a virtual box because he's not useful anymore. Just mate him with another useless monster and you'll have a new, more powerful monster :neckbeard:

Didn't really find Joker to be as fun. Made about halfway through the game, it was in dire need of a ridiculous 'rescue the kingdom' plot. Maybe I'll give it a try again soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm trying to play Dragon Quest V and I keep getting killed. I'm only at the second town heading to the castle at night, and the monsters outside the town are enough to kill me regularly. God help me if 6 of them appear at the same time. Is this normal? I know old Dragon Quest games are grindy but this seems unusually bad.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I died about 10 times and finally scrimped enough to get a boomerang. Insanely useful and the rest of the castle went by like a breeze. Appreciate all the help! Now I have a cat :c00lbert:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It never ceases to baffle me why a metal slime knight gives less experience than a metal slime. It is a guy on top of a metal slime, right?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I've literally shattered every urn and opened every drawer in my current playrun of Dragon Quest V. God drat urns have nothing :argh:

Also seconding opinions that this is the best Dragon Quest around. Haven't fallen so hard for the depressing turns of an RPG in a long time :cry:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My Dragon Quest XI game has crashed several times relating to autosaves. Apparently these things get corrupted and I've lost like 3 hours of progress in total from this crap. I googled around and couldn't find a lasting solution. Might legit have to stop playing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The 2D mode on that DQ XI S looks good. I've heard that it was implemented on the 3DS also. Am I gonna miss out on anything major if I play the entire game in that mode?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

mikeycp posted:

hey gbc dragon quest monsters is out on switch in japan, on the off chance anybody besides me is interested in that
Man it really is just emulator on a wallpaper

https://gematsu.com/2019/09/dragon-quest-monsters-terrys-wonderland-retro-announced-for-switch

Why wouldn't they port the competent 3DS remakes? I guess that will eventually come. Although to be honest the remakes were underwhelming and I have a lot of love for the original's charm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My first game was also Dragon Warrior Monsters. It’s such a charming little game I haven’t forgotten any part of it. Their monster library was successfully diverse enough that you could almost always get some new monster by breeding. At the time I think the game was meant to ride on the success of Pokemon but it ended up really being its own thing.

I don’t like where the series went with Joker and could not get into the recent games at all.