Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

quote:

A Dragon Quest Megathread draws near! Command?
Twinhits+QuadHits :smug:

I would totally buy a DS remake of Dragon Warrior Monsters 1/2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

Finally got my copy of DQ6, now I can safely say I've at least played all of the core games.

I've noticed it mentioned a couple of times, but it needs to be stated in no uncertain terms: Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker is by far and away one of the best DS games and DQ games available.
Take the battle system of DragonQuest, the monster collecting of Pokemon and the breeding/fusing of a ShinMegami game and throw it into the same graphics engine as DQ9 and you've got one of the most under-appreciated gems of the past few years.
I'd imagine it's pretty hard to find nowadays, but if you're interested in any of the games it borrows it's concepts from, you're going to love it.

Now go play the Dragon Warrior Monsters games for the Gameboy Color. I liked Joker, but DWM1/2 were on a whole new level of amazing and have aged surprisingly well.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

psychoJ posted:

I completely beat Nokturnus last night, in under 20 turns.

Afterwards, he teleports himself and my party to Mortamor and then proceeds to beat the poo poo out of him. It was pretty loving cool.

The boomerang is generally pretty great, but it's only in DQ5/8 that it really comes in handy, especially early on. In DQ6 and 7, you can get some all enemy-hitting attacks pretty quickly if you master the right classes.

Is... is THAT what they call Darkdrium/Dark Dream now? :negative:

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Mister Roboto posted:

Jesus, no, DQ1 is objectively terrible. I like the DQ series but 1 is so old and archaic it's basically like an early DOS Ultima game. I don't even remember DOS anymore, I wasn't born yet, but I've emulated a lot. That'd be like telling someone to try FF1 to get into the theme of the FF series. They'd be turned off it forever.

FF1 came out after DQ2, so it tried the job thing before DQ3. Then DQ3 refined it further, and so back and forth until we have the current standards.

The Dragon Quests for the DS are probably the best place to start with the series. Probably 5 has the best combo of storyline/engine.

Of course it's objectively terrible by today's standards. It's a goddamned NES game. We've had a long-rear end time to improve on the formula.

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Chronojam posted:

Hope you guys who needed one got a copy, it's all sold out prematurely.

I was so close. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikael Kreoss
Feb 13, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Himuro posted:

Dq5 on amazon for 19.99

http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest-...QMVHB1SVMT9BNAX

Forgot to post, but I just got it in the mail Friday and I have to say thank you sir, for pointing that poo poo out.