Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Genie Sanguini are little fuckers in Heroes, if you leave them alone they'll give everything around them a damage buff and since they are the highest tier of the Sanguini family, they only show up on maps with other high tier enemies so it becomes a nightmare very fast.

Buffed Type GO's and Roseguardins can basically one shot you, and they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I picked up DQ6 for the first time recently and oh my god there's so many random encounters, I can't take more than 5 steps before I'm ambushed and Ashlynn is dead again, so back to town I go, right now I am inside Murdaw's Castle just after getting the boat and I've had to leave twice to run back to a town to restock on supplies due to constant fights wearing out my entire bags worth of supplies and all my MP.

It's a fun game though but, good lord does it like its random encounters.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

So E.L.L.I.E is going to feed soup to her dead master for all of eternity in a desperate attempt to revive him, I'd say that was pretty dark but Robot Island itself was pretty dark with the robot hordes killing people, children included.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I know people are dying of the Super Plague in Chapter 2 of DQB but you don't have to be so needy in your requests, I had to scour the desert for some Potatoes just to make one rear end in a top hat some Fries.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Terraria is grindy bullshit when you reach endgame, DQB is a total walk in the park in comparison and that's why I love it more than the other Sandbox Builder games.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not sure where to find Wood to build the Cannon in Chapter 3 of DQB, I'm also getting a little tired of those rear end in a top hat Mages firebombing me all the time.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Chapter 4 of DQB starts off pretty intense, being thrown into a dead wasteland naked and armed with a stick against angry skeletons from the start, I do have Holy Water now so I can actually start doing things.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I've been playing a lot of Dragon Quest Heroes 2 lately and I have to say that Fractos was some bullshit, I love fighting a guy who has screen filling attacks and chain casts Kaboom constantly.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

I chucked it back in last week and found a rude awakening in the Kings of Kadava and Klor

what the gently caress was that trash

That was a very rude fight yeah, I remember spending most of it being blown sky high by the King of Kadava and his crazy magic, when he wasn't spamming his sleep aoe's anyway.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

The guy owns all the rights to the DQ music so that alone is enough to ensure it never happens unless they redo the music entirely for DQ and fans would probably riot if that happened.

DQ Music is very good at wrecking quiet moments as seen in Builders and DQ Warriors, people having a serious talk while the town theme is blaring in the background really ruins the mood.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I started DQ 11S earlier in the week for the first time and I think putting Shypox and Super Shypox on has made my first run rather memorable, I can't help but laugh when all four of my team gets Shypox'd so the enemies just beat on them.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Can we have a remake or even a port of DQ9 already SE, its very funny that Veronica can wear Stella's outfit but that just makes me miss the game even more.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Tabletops posted:

My main complaint is the music. It’s wild to me that there isn’t a boss track and how it plays the super upbeat city or whatever tracks eve when your doing a sad quest line. It’s kinda hilarious.

I've said this for a while but Dragon Quest's music is great at killing the mood in every single scene, we really need some new loving tracks.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

It better be, you can't even access the postgame quests anymore on IX since Nintendo turned the DS online service off and you needed to download an event flag to unlock them.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Jet Jaguar posted:

The only real downside is the forced stealth mission, the game isn’t really set up for it and it goes on for ages.

DQ Heroes 2 had a stealth sequence early on where you had to avoid Killing Machines and escape a dungeon, if you spec to a Thief then you get to go back for a quest and have to dodge Overkilling Machines who move twice as fast and kill you instantly if they see you.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah, Dragon Quest villains are generally of the classic "Villain shows up twice to go WAHAHAHA then sit in their evil castle the entire rest of the time"

Shout out to the Dragonlord for being the classic version who refuses to lift a finger, even in Builders 1.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Asteroid Alert posted:

"Dark & Mature" Dragon Quest sounds weird.

Finally, a Dragon Quest game where a Slime says gently caress.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Oh there's no way this is ever coming to the Switch then.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

BisterdDave posted:

While the classic midi music plays in the background

Would it be too much to ask for more than one overworld theme because I went crazy in 11 listening to the same track on a minute loop for 90 hours.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

The gold standard for me is FFVIIR. Hearing the slow, ominous reactor music transition seamlessly into the high tempo battle version and back is so enjoyable to listen to. Having unique battle music for every area and boss is ridiculously cool. I remember Mother 3 having 50 battle themes out of the 250 total tracks.

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I don't really like Dragon Quest's music, there's just so little variety and variation, I would go so far as to call it low effort, grand orchestras aside.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

This is my main worry with Dragon Quest 12, the so-called adult one, are we really going to have the same handful of tracks that have been in every previous game with maybe a handful of new but mostly unremarkable songs again?

God help us if we get a MIDI soundtrack on its initial release.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

We'll get a protagonist who looks like Freiza this time.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

In protest of the lovely castle the NPC's built on my Island, I built Hargon's Castle just across the road from it, they can all sit in their lovely castle and be jealous of the better one they aren't allowed to live in.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I asked to put 4, 5 and 6 on the Switch.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Moonbrooke is fine, I was just not very fond of having to stop working on the castle every 5 minutes because monsters would never stop attacking, even with traps in place.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Has there been any word at all since the DQ12 reveal and is there an expected time for an info dump in the near future?

Allegedly the story has all been mapped out but DQ news doesn't hit the west very regularly.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Its very telling that the Change Music option in XI only replaces the overworld theme and nothing else. Even when orchestrated it's a total dud.

XI's soundtrack is very lazy in general, if the music isn't rehashed from an older title its just very bland, the original overworld theme is just a crime and WHY don't different regions have unique versions.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Worst crimes the huge, sad plot happening with somber music followed up with the in your face trumpets of the over-world theme. Does its best to try and completely ruin the gut punches that XI throw at you.

I know the exact point this pissed me off, the confrontation with Hendrik after you encounter him at Dundrasil, I could barely hear him over the incredibly loud overworld trumpets.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Hopefully DQ12 has more variety in its music and not the same tired old tracks again.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Ofecks posted:

The current game on my "Hey Let's Actually Play My Steam Library" project is Dragon Quest Heroes. I'm most of the way through the main story, and it's been interesting. My first Musou game. I'm not very good at it. Already spent a lot of time looking at forums/GameFAQs/YouTube for gameplay tips. Is the really close camera angle A Thing in these types of games? Really wish I could zoom it out a bit. And that there was an equippable accessory or something that auto-looted item drops. Apparently Terry is completely OP and I didn't play him at all until yesterday. Normally I use Bianca to clear trash and Nera to nuke packs of beefies. I'm going for 100% achievements, about halfway there so far.

Just sliding in to say that Heroes 2 is extremely good and also worth playing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

Torneko's chapter in IV is some of the most fun I've had in an RPG. The rest of the game is certified okay.

Torneko throws down in DQ Heroes 2, he's had enough of people's poo poo.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I wonder if DQ3 will get voice acting, Live A Live got it after all.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Woah, spoilers!

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Divinegon is an rear end in a top hat. He's all "I will grant you a wish if you can defeat me." So I fight him and defeat him and he just says "You took 46 turns, that's too long, gently caress you you don't get a wish" and kicked me out.

You clearly didn't want that wish hard enough.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

It would be pretty wild if after Yakuza shifted from real time brawler to turn based in order to emulate Dragon Quest, Dragon Quest decided to turn into a real time brawler!

We already got two DQ Musou games, Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

HPanda posted:

I did prefer the pacing of the original version. No scenarios, just straight to hero.

Beating up Booga's girlfriend as Jade is pretty funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I have no idea what the worldwide opinion on DQ is, what do you guys think are the most popular ones? I've only played 5, 8, and 11 and they were all fun but I definitely don't think I have a grasp of what the rating per game looks like.

8, it was the first one the EU region got.