Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The thing I disliked most about DQIX is the fact that it doesn't really have an ending. This is good if you want More Game, but the opposite side of the coin is that when you do stop playing, it's because you're sick of it. I also really disliked grottoes; if you don't live in a major population center, eventually there's nothing left to the game but slogging through an incredibly bland random dungeon in the hopes that the reward it gives you is access to another one with better stuff in it. You really lose your sense of forward progress.

The idea that Dragon Quest usually requires grinding is libelous and false, but if you play IX for long enough, it becomes true. However, until you reach that point - and a hundred hours would be a very low estimate - it's very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest's characterization is understated, but that's miles away from saying its characters are insubstantial. I think Mister Roboto just never availed himself of the Party Chat button in the games that had it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We're about due for remakes of the first three, aren't we?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

iastudent posted:

Oh man. Big decision time in DQ5. Which girl should I marry, and does it basically tell you what kind of party tag-along you end up with or are there other consequences later on? :ohdear:

In strictly gameplay terms, each of the characters you can select is different and fairly unique, but the decision has no other long-term consequences. Since you can and should fill any gaps in your party with monsters, you can safely (and I encourage you to) make the decision based entirely on what you feel will enrich your story the most.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Frankly, choosing Flora deepens the central tragedy of the game. Without the benefit of the player's metagame knowledge, here we have a hero who's afraid to be closer to those he loves, for fear of losing them again; a hero who is prepared to give everything, even his own happiness, if he can remember such a thing, in pursuit of his quest, which is the only thing he has left of his father. It's as much a marriage of obligation for his wife as it is for him, and that's all they have in common other than innate goodness. But that proves to be enough, as they discover in the time they've been married, they've come to truly love each other - just in time for them to be separated from each other and their children. It's... it's just so sad, and I love it.

I use my imagination a lot when playing Dragon Quest.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Himuro posted:

3ds can't pull better graphics than that? I was hoping for DQVIII/X-esque graphics at least. Something about it...lacks DQ charm.

It probably began life as a DS game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

WYA posted:

I've got a question about Dragon Quest 8. When it comes to the alchemy pot, is it possible to find all the recipes or is it expected that you experiment to find some? I know I can look online but I dont want to spoil anything and hanging onto every little drat item just in case its a recipe is driving me nuter

There are very few recipes included in-game, compared to the number of viable alchemy combinations. That is to say, there are many combinations but it only explicitly tells you a small number. You can use trial and error if you want, but it's probably best to just use an alchemy walkthrough.

You don't need to hang onto any items you can buy in a store.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Himuro posted:

No it isn't. DQ adds new features each new game.
You say this as if Pokemon doesn't. The changes may not be as conspicuous but that doesn't mean they don't count or improve. At the end of the day, if you don't like monster-collecting adventures, don't play Pokemon, and if you don't like turn-based equipment-buying boat-unlocking quest-'em-ups, don't play Dragon Quest. Saying that one of the two most conservative RPG franchises is too conservative while being a fan of the other suggests its conservatism isn't really why you dislike it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Picking good games based on critical opinion is a matter of understanding your tastes and getting a sense for how they align with or differ from those of the reviewer.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Azubah posted:

Ys owns period.

Any news on if America was going to get the anniversary Dragon Quest collection on the Wii? I never got the play 2 and 3 as a kid and I've really enjoyed the DS remakes. They're the only ones I'm missing to.

I wouldn't count on it. There's been no word, anyway. The GBC versions of 1-3 are still the best and most recently released official English ones.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Portfolio posted:

I'm looking to get into the DQ series. I've never played a DQ game before in my life, but I have played (and mostly enjoyed) Final Fantasies I through X and the Chrono series. Where should I start?

Right now I'm thinking the DQIV remake for DS. I was going to go with DQIX, but apparently it's long and quite hard, so maybe not the best intro to the series. I've heard that DQVIII is a good starting point; I'm not opposed to that if that really is the best place to start, but logistics make the DS a little more attractive to me as a platform, at least for the near future. I wouldn't say no to DQVII, I guess, but I've heard it's long as poo poo. Thoughts?

You really can't go wrong with any of them, but if you start with IX and go back to the earlier ones, you might be mildly disappointed by the absence of some gameplay mechanics that weren't added to the series until later. IX's post-game content doesn't really have a definite ending point, unlike all the others, which is why it's regarded as being very long. It starts off just like any other game in the series, which is to say a finite single-player quest, but develops a focus on Monster Hunter-esque repeating local multiplayer, so if that's a turn-off for you, you might want to consider starting elsewhere.

There's no standard entry point to the series, because the connections between the games are cameos at best. You've probably already been briefed: Avoid II altogether, be wary of VII, consider I a historical curiosity.

VIII is an excellent game, but the fact that it uses full 3D animations in battle (unlike IV-VI) means that it proceeds at a noticeably slower pace than the others, which will intensify your preference for playing on a portable format.

IV and V were published by Square-Enix, whereas VI was published by Nintendo in North America, so I've heard that it's difficult to find copies of IV and V. They might have issued a reprint at some point, though. Those three form a very, very loosely-connected sort of trilogy, so some will recommend playing them in order. They've all got different things to recommend them: IV has you following each of the party members in their own separate story before they all get together and save the world in the second half of the game; V has you adding monsters to your party and a very touching story spanning three generations; VI has a large and dense world, a lot of gameplay variance, and a rather unique driving mystery.

If you have a way to play III conveniently, I would recommend starting with that one, because it's where the series' formula was first perfected. But understand that your decision about where to start doesn't matter nearly as much as that you decide to start at all.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mister Roboto posted:

Dq5 is pretty much the ONLY one with an endearing storyline, really.

Yeah. Dragon Quest is more about the interesting vignettes along the way than the overarching plot, with the exception of V.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

LooseChanj posted:

Why the hate for II all of a sudden?

II lacks the balance and convenience of later games. The EXP curve is Himalayan, your casters don't have good enough spells to make up for their squishiness, endgame enemies love to spam instant-death abilities, and it has a full-size world map that you can only traverse by boat.

I don't know if that's enough to call it bad, but it's definitely enough to call it the worst.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Himuro posted:

I don't know what games people are playing because I sometimes find the vignettes in DQ very involving. Like the story in VII where you walk into a derelict ghost town covered fog, poison, and the smell of death. You walk to the center of the town and uncover someone turned to stone. Maybe an innocent, maybe they deserved it? You don't know. But you do your best to find out. I find these stories highly involving, even when the characters don't talk, they don't really need to. Sure it's about the journey and the adventure, but it's also about the mystery, the danger, the atmosphere, and even sometimes even humor, romance, and drama.

I think Dragon Quest does these little stories pretty expertly. VII as mentioned, has million of beautiful ones. It's a shame its so long that many people didn't get to experience them.

Maybe I'm just a simple person, but it really clicks with me like it did with Chrono Trigger: landing in mysterious lands with interesting - albeit, admittedly, very simple - characters and scenarios. It just works for me.

I'm pretty sure everybody likes the vignettes?

It's funny that you note Chrono Trigger, because, as the big collaboration between the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest teams, the overall story outline was also written by Yuji Horii.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Himuro posted:

Are the nes versions of DQ1-3 still worth playing?

Maybe 1 if you're interested in it for historical/nostalgia purposes.

Not for nothing has every subsequent rerelease drastically increased the amount of EXP and gold you get.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest X's Japanese launch has been announced for August 2.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Gloam posted:

Still don't know how to feel about the direction of DQX. I'm leaning towards 'cautiously optimistic', then again it's a very real possibility that the game may never see an English release so I might never have to worry about it. Here's hoping it surprises!

From what we've seen so far, doesn't it look like it's basically IX but with online instead of local multiplayer, and other players going about their business in the non-instanced areas?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

I've been tempted by the allure of Dragon Quest games in a retro-kick. I'm a Final Fantasy kid who I think was turned off by the NES games at first due to the aforementioned "STAIRS" option and the art quality always seemed under the Final Fantasy games. I've beaten VII straight up(liked the story, but I think it's slow start and long road before you get to the meat of the game turns me off from replaying).

4-6 are on the DS, and I'm leaning towards them for those 3, given they are the most up to date and I prefer to be honest with this stuff, although I don't snub emulated versions.

Do the GBC Versions of 1/2/3 have any worthwhile bonus content or should you just go with the fan-translated SFC versions? This is assuming that the SFC versions are just art-scale ups with no real gameplay/story changes.

The GBC version of 3 doubles your walking speed in interior locations, but otherwise they're all identical to the SNES versions.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Doug Dinsdale posted:

The game comes with a free 20-day subscription.
After that, they charge basically on a monthly basis (30-day pass costs 1,000 yen = $12.50ish; 60-day pass = 1,950 yen; and 90-day pass = 2,900 yen; all rates include tax).
They also have a free "Kids Time" in which non-paying players are alerted to the impending time limit, then automatically saved and booted when the time comes.
The Kids Times are Monday ~ Friday (incl. holidays) 16:00 ~ 18:00, and 13:00 ~ 15:00 on weekends.

Is there an offline mode?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest is released on the dedicated gaming platform with the largest userbase, period, but it's conceivable that they'd make an exception for an MMO, since it's already going to be cross-platform.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest VII is bound for 3DS in February in Japan.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Levantine posted:

I can't tell from that scan, but they've upgraded the graphics engine? Holy poo poo, sign me up.

The screenshot looks to be fully 3D a la 8 and 10, or at least 3D and capable of dropping into a more intimate perspective for cutscenes a la 9.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

A DQ3 remake would almost certainly result in the classes being overhauled. Kind of a shame if that happens because whle they're simple they were fairly balanced* although adding another claw for Fighters would be nice since it started to hurt them late in the game.

A remake will probably give them skills like in DQ6+, if not add tiers and more classes like 6 and 7.

*except merchants, and technically goof-offs since their biggest perk (other than insane luck) was at level 20.

I'd expect them to use a IX- or X-style class system rather the a VI- or VII-style one.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

3's class system was more breakable than any of its successors'. If I remember correctly, changing classes means you keep all your spells, and revert to level 1 with all your stats halved (not reduced to what they were at level 1!).

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest sticks very closely to a particular formula, which was defined in 2 and perfected in 3 (whose biggest changes were balancing the classes and adding fast travel). All the biggest differences in mechanics between each game have amounted to little more than different ways of varying the composition of the party while keeping its power level relatively constant. You follow a more roundabout path in some than in others, but there's a remarkably consistent rhythm between them. They've got something that works, and they stick with it, just polishing it up and spinning it around with each installment.

Which is why I'd be interested to see if X is more similar to other MMOs, or if it's basically just IX but you're always doing multiplayer.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

That loving Sned posted:

I wish Dragon Quest was developed for multiple platforms more often. The only non-remakes that saw this were 1 and 2, which were on the MSX1 and 2 before coming to the Famicom and NES, and X, which is on the Wii, Wii U and is soon coming to the PC.

This is an interesting point. From its inception, the Dragon Quest series has always been explicitly populist: Yuji Horii set out to make an RPG that could be enjoyed by people who've never played a video game before, and the games always target the most popular (suitable, current) platform, so it can reach the most such players. But cross-platform console development is easier now than it's ever been; a cross-platform release would help it reach a larger audience still.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

I just started DQ9; Are there any super OP skills/classes that I need to be sure to put points into ASAP?

You start the game with access to six vocations. There are four more "hybrid" ones that you unlock through sidequests as soon as you reach a certain fairly early point, plus one that's only available near the end of the campaign and one that's only available post-game. These side quests are annoying, but you should still do them as soon as you find them. Additionally, each vocation has one (or was it two?) ultimate ability that you need to do a late-game sidequest to unlock.

It's generally better to specialize your skill point investment, at least in weapons. However, unlike DQ8, you can eventually get an unlimited number of skill points, so don't sweat it too much. The really powerful skills only make a perceptible difference post-game, and you can only efficiently unlock them at high levels anyway.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Combine it with high ranks in shield for best results.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

This is pretty depressing, and very puzzling. It looks like a great game and a no-brainer to me. I just don't get the logic with that one.

DQVII has an enormous script, and Nintendo doesn't usually announce releases very far in advance. I wouldn't give up hope yet.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest is the most populist RPG franchise, so it's unsurprising that they'd continue to target the platform with the most users who've expressed an interest in games but don't know from RPGs.

But, let's face it, there's no way any of this is getting localized.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Arcaeris posted:

Well good news, you can access the app store of any region through iTunes, and pay in US dollars. You just can't do IAP as far as I know.

Good news for those who read Japanese, I guess.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Can't wait to pay :20bux: or more for each of these games! Maybe we'll be double lucky and they'll also use recolored FFD sprites like they did in FF5 and are likely to do in FF6's iOS port this winter. :shepface:

It's quite unlikely that they'll outsource these ports to Matrix Software on a shoestring budget. If nothing else, Akira Toriyama is always the art director on anything Dragon Quest-related. Armor Project also seems to have more stringent requirements for remakes and such than Square Enix.

Instead it'll almost certainly be ArtePiazza again.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dragon Quest II isn't too hard, but it's damned inconvenient. To bring it up to speed with the rest of the series, it would need some means of fast travel.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

1&2 was made with the same quality assets as 5, whereas 3 was made from the sort of things 6 was. 5 is not a pretty game, but 6 is gorgeous.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lots of people could not stand the way the DS Dragon Quest localizations used accents all over the place. They are wrong, but I fear they outnumber us, so we've got to stick together.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Potsticker posted:

If it had ended up a realtime ARPG like early previews suggested, it would've still been rad. As it is, I don't see what you think is wildly dissimilar between DQ3 and DQ9.

Dragon Quest 9 is basically Dragon Quest 3, in that every Dragon Quest game is basically Dragon Quest 3.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If there were a remake of 8 that fixes up its iffy bits, that would be just swell. I'd prefer to have 7 3DS in English, however.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Square Enix may be dumb, but they're not completely dumb. Bravely Default's western success has forced them to confront the possibility that taste is not a function of geography. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll do anything with titles that were released over a year ago, but hope springs eternal.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dubious posted:

FF6 on iphone controls like dogass. I'm not seeing how a full 3d game will be any better when it's a pain in the rear end to control 2d sprites walking 4 directions on a tiny touchscreen.

It's because the orthogonal, grid-based movement of a 2D game involves the awkward quantization of continuous inputs, while full 3D movement can use those continuous inputs directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fancy Hat! posted:

So are the Dragon Quest 9 servers already down? I realized my game didnt have all the quests so I tried to connect to download them, but nothing doing. And I can't tell if the server's dead or my router is too advanced for the DS connection...

Being a regular DS game, it can only connect through unsecured or WEP-secured access points, so try that.