Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

I love in DQ7 that you go on a quest to find the Chosen Hero instead of the main character being the hero and then what the gently caress he's as old as time

The blank slate still has magical protagonist powers anyway, because of course he does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

mikeycp posted:

So now that we're finally getting it, what exactly is enhanced about 3DS VII?

Zurai posted:

The big additions are playable Red and Morrie, and thus the ability to switch your party around rather than having the same 4 all the time. I assume the plot is also adjusted to accommodate them.

TurnipFritter posted:

Basically everything has been overhauled. Enemies appear on the field, the long rear end intro dungeon was removed, there's a Shard Detector Radar on the touch screen, classes are completely overhauled and rebalanced (some skills don't carry over between classes anymore, particularly the ones you pick up in advanced classes, so there's a greater emphasis on having characters fulfill specific roles).

This just confirms that nobody played DQVII. Spoilers the changes still won't make it good or fun or well-paced

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LorneReams posted:

I'm I remember this correctly since I haven't played it since the NES, but I remember being quite freaked out that the world of darkness was the exact same as DW1. Like it blew my mind, and I remember going "OMG, this is that, and this is where you did this, and this cave is also here, holy poo poo"

And then you hop in your boat (since your bird got taken away for reasons) and try to find the rest of DQ2 and... :raise:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

LorneReams posted:

I loved 8, but don't know if I can go to it again as I grinded that game out to max everything by fighting the final dragon series over and over. I would love a new game like 8 though as I thought that was pretty much DQ perfection.

7 had a good idea, but I thought it was a little shallow. Finding new areas with new towns and stuff was pretty cool, but they felt very wide and not so deep.

dragon quest 7 is a kiddie pool the size of the pacific ocean that expects you to make several laps around the perimeter

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I've been playing through DQ7 (on PS1) because I'm a masochist and determined to finish it so I can throw out examples when I call it garbage so here have a fresh one

-my strongest party member (Maribel) just left the party with zero warning, but it's okay because here's a random new girl to replace her. She starts with Dancer mastered and a few ranks in Warrior, which sucks (although miles better than the legendary hero not having a class at all) but I figured it was supposed to be an organic way of teaching you about how to learn cross-class skills like Sword Dance. But it's not, so you have to grind more for her to learn it because ???

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Vinchenz posted:

actually dragon quest 7 is good (and the 3DS version is even better!)

Though admittedly this isn't necessarily the case, Maribel is probably your primary spellcaster and as such is best equipped for fighting multiple enemies. Aira is a warrior who has no multi-target abilities. I think putting an extremely powerful boss who calls in tons of flunkies (and are all immune to one of the best group target elements for non-casters) in the area immediately after losing Maribel and gaining Aira is a bad design decision. I think losing Maribel with zero forewarning is a dumb design decision. I think not letting you access the weapon and armor shops once the wind stops is a silly design decision. And I think making you go through the same two dungeons twice is a tedious design decision

those metal slimes are real dang cute tho

e: I lied Aira does have a couple of lousy group target abilities

Looper fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 2, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Vinchenz posted:

I mean, I get that the game doesn't have the best design decisions here and there but overall the game's still pretty great. Are there better Dragon Quest games? Yeah, but outside of the series its not a bad game at all, it just takes awhile to get into and it can throw you some nasty curveballs here and there that you have to be ready for.

I admit I don't know the full details of the quality of life changes to the 3DS version of DQVII but if anyone wanted a solid RPG with tons of content and refined turn-based combat I'd recommend it over several other RPGs on the 3DS (though on the same level as Bravely Default and Xenoblade Chronicles, the second of which is also very solid with tons of content).

That kind of thing is the norm though, not the exception. I could also go on about the entire Dharma region, or how the class system discourages experimentation by penalizing you for switching out of unmastered classes, tying class progress to battles instead of a point system, and just generally taking forever to make any progress. It just doesn't seem like much thought was put into anything; it's mind boggling how much of an improvement 8 is

Again, I'm basing this all on the PS1 game (hopefully the new localization will be better, too), but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Bravelies or Etrians or SMT over this any day

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

thorsilver posted:

The 3DS version of VII is pretty much a different (massively improved) game compared to the PS1 version, so please don't tell people not to play it based on the PS1 experience. We need as many people as possible to buy DQ7 :(

We need as many people as possible to buy DQ8!

Also of the changes I've seen, restricting some skills to the class that learns them and streamlining the Ancient Fane sound like bad ideas imo. I know people complain that it takes too long to get into a fight but that first dungeon is one of the few good ones in the game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Azubah posted:

They were selling these at the Square Enix cafe earlier, thought you folks would get a kick out of it. You get to keep the cup.

that slime is crying

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Overemotional Robot posted:

Yeah, apparently 7 is going to have some kind of streetpass thing. Years from now that'll be a thing of the past and people will be locked out of content again.

It'd make sense to be able to streetpass immigrants for your budding town but nope there's some actual content/dungeons locked behind it lmao

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Princeps32 posted:

God help me I will beat dragon quest seven, from the beginning. Sure my brother and I played the game in shifts when it came out and never even got close to finding god or whatever and I have 90 percent less free time than I did back then but this is still a sound financial investment!!!

and i'll remember which party member loving leaves you sixty hours in, too. That I think was the quitting point the first time.

It's Maribel and she'll still be better than Melvin, this shouldn't be in spoilers

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

HPanda posted:

I never played the original 7, so to those that have, was the battle at the end of the first island with Maeve originally much harder? That really felt like it was gearing up to be a bigger encounter, but then wasn't. The game even fully heals you up beforehand but it finished in one round for me.

I can see why it would be easy story-wise, but the full heal beforehand just seems weird in that context then.

Not at all. It takes several rounds (which is more thematically appropriate imo) but you won't be taking any damage

Looper fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 19, 2016

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Supremezero posted:

VII was localized, though. You thinking of 5 and 6 or something?

I think he means why the remake was never localized until now. The script for DW7 is really bland and dry and unremarkable for how dang long it is

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tae posted:

The indicators that tell you where the shards are weren't in the original game. Wtf why.

100+ hours of gameplay!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

YggiDee posted:

From what I heard the main strategy in 7 was to teach everyone Ultrahit and then stay a Sage forever, now you have a reason to make different characters be different classes.

No no the main strategy was to get Sword Dance on everyone while also grabbing Vacuum and Hustle

lmao Hustle

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The fact that none of the DQ games are available through VC or PSN or something but are on mobile is utterly baffling to me

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Enix is more conservative and doesn't want to poo poo up their franchise by releasing a zillion products a minute like Square did with FF.

that's great, now put dq3 gbc on the 3ds vc!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Do you ever get more party members in 7 besides ruff? Because I feel like I am decently through and ain't got no one.

It's important to keep in mind that the sixth party member is a replacement for Maribel, who leaves you out of nowhere after one of the last few islands. You'll get the option to pick your final party later though

Thread, I have a confession. As much as I dislike the original, I kinda wanna get this remake and see a hopefully good version of 7

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
She's not gone forever and she's still the best mage, it's just a rude surprise

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Decus posted:

You said not to say this earlier but I don't think this series is for you if you view talking to NPCs as a chore. It's kind of the primary means of exposition and you're meant to want to talk to everybody not to find the one trigger to advance and get this over and done with but to gleam the story of the area before, during and after your arrival. Complaining about copy-pasted models is another thing that's kind of at-odds with the series--it's like the menus where you're either charmed by them or absolutely hate them.

The back-tracking can be more of an annoyance due to the symbol encounters and holy water/similar effects wanting you to be over-leveled for them to work but that's also the sort of annoyance that isn't there as heavily when you're not playing 50+ hours in the span of a few days. Did you spend 70% of the last few days playing DQ7?

Bad dungeon design is going to be frustrating no matter how you pace your play though. That, party members abruptly leaving, and the bad class system were the big problems with the game. And one was fixed!

More importantly, Maribel's portrait owns and Gabo has a buddy now so this is a good remake imo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

This would make a scarily good av

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I thought DQ7 of all games would be immune to people rushing through to beat it in one weekend

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

How should I be distributing my seeds in DQ7?

Hero and Ruff never leave you or take forever to show up

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
one thing I do really enjoy about DQ7 and the series in general is the sheer variety of mimics

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
kiefer's a fuckboi

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Decus posted:

I feel like they made him ever so slightly more tolerable in the remake. Not sure if they changed anything or if it's just the translation having more characters to work with.

Him being so much taller than Hero just makes it look like he's pushing the kid around

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Kiefer's kinda framed as the hero, being the dashing prince, the Midenhall of the early trio, and the most proactive about solving the mysteries of the world, but he continually runs away from his responsibilities and ultimately can't even bring himself to talk to his best friend (much less his family) directly before leaving forever. Kiefer's a chump

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harlock posted:

I hope people grinding for Monster Hearts picked up the Monster Munchies first from the Meadow

I felt really bad for that dude grinding for kingfuchsias, got a heart in my first battle with one after grabbing the munchies

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
please please please tell me you can keep the animal costumes

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

neongrey posted:

Nah there was the fortune teller near Falrish. Kids these days and their hints-anywhere button.

She was sitting in the abandoned robo base and was super inconvenient

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I wanna say Vacuum (Thin Air) in the original scaled with your level but I have no idea where I heard that. It was an extremely overpowered skill either way though, even if a rough boss was immune to it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Kiefer is a jerk and an irresponsible person. :argh:

"I'm not the sort of person to steal another man's woman!"
dude that's exactly what you're doing
"I just really want some kind of destiny of my own..."
dude we are literally saving the world one island at a time she's not even that hot

Good riddance

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Moriveth posted:

In a game full of bummer moments, I think the worst one has to be when you go back to Wilted Heart after finishing the El Ciclo stuff

Oh hey remember Carraway and Lavender? Okay it turns out that Lavender fled home after a while and became a nun, watching over Carraway for the rest of her life until she died a little while before you arrive. You can show Carraway her grave and make her sad and... The end! No moral.

That or Nottagan and Rocky/Wiggles, nooooooooo!

Greenthumb blows and I don't feel bad for any of those idiots except the dog

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
While I miss the cute sprite shenanigans from the old slot machines, winning 30000 at once makes up for it

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Do the bottom row in your initial 6. Shuffle (And Bonus) are most likely going to be there.

If they aren't, start from the top when you actually start flipping.

is this real or confirmation bias

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harlock posted:

You can't make me to back to Greenthumb, you can't

:unsmigghh:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Nephzinho posted:

So is there any way to tell what the cap is for any given area is beyond going back to the Abbey and getting your fortune taken again? Because that takes forever. Or just gently caress it, its DQ, keep pressing forward.

well, there's gamefaqs

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Unmature posted:

For a game about exploring it sure doesn't reward exploration. Every time I wander off to a remote corner or nook there's never anything cool there.

Those world map treasures weren't there in the original

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
what's the point of playing a turn based rpg on auto if you're not grinding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
every island has been overrun with monsters, I'm not really sure why people expect Alltrades to be any different