Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

So, couple weeks ago, after finishing a new playthrough of Joker 2, I was itching for more Dragon Quest goodness. Specifically I was wanting more Monsters goodness, but Nintendo hates me specifically and we haven't gotten any of those in a literal decade. Instead, at one of my friend's recommendation, I picked up XI S.

I am now all but finished with the game- the only I have left is to beat the final boss, and I guess I could try the Tickington quests. And holy gently caress, this game. I'll admit, I wasn't expecting much going in, but it has completely blown me away. The story is phenomenal, both the overarching plot and the small 'distractions' (i.e. the Michelle story), the characters are amazing, and I even greatly enjoyed small things like the Fun-Sized Forge and building up everyone's skill trees. I've clocked over 100 hours and enjoyed every minute of it, and I sincerely hope XII follows in this game's footsteps when it eventually comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I don't, sadly. I only have the one 3DS and no way to get a new one, so I don't wanna mess around with it and potentially break it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

RareAcumen posted:

I'm really glad you liked it. Third act really turns some people off.

I won't deny, the 3rd act definitely left kind of a sour taste in my mouth, story-wise, but there was also a lot of really good stuff in it too, like getting Michelle and Kainui together or fighting Arachtagon with Vince one last time. And of course, gameplay-wise, it gave me more stuff to make with the forge, which I absolutely loved, so that was a plus.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Ran Rannerson posted:

I like act III but I kind of prefer to interpret it as the Luminary sacrificing his place in the act II timeline in order to create a timeline where things don’t go wrong instead of the Luminary completely overwriting act II.

Isn't that exactly the case though? After all, Serenica traveled back in time to stop Erdwin from dying, which in turn should have allowed Erdwin to kill Calasmos AND prevented Morcant from becoming Mordegon. But when you regain control afterwards, you still have the Super Sword of Light and everyone still remembers your fight against Calasmos, showing that Serenica's actions have just made an alternate timeline- and, in turn, your own actions at the start of Act 3 only made an alternate timeline.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

AngryRobotsInc posted:

One major difference Monsters has to SMT and Pokemon is that skill learning is stat based. So even if a monster is able to learn a skill set through its parents, it won't be able to if it never reaches the required stats.

I don't know if that holds true for the Joker games though.

That's definitely not how it is in the Joker series. There, all you need is enough skill points to get whatever skills you want.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

100% you just wanna psyche up to max tension.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

BrightWing posted:

Its at this moment I realize I have no loving clue how to properly play the Joker games.

Don't worry, neither do I. They're still fun though.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

DACK FAYDEN posted:

The other trick - and I don't know when this was introduced, I just know it's in the remake I'm playing and existed sooner but [e: looks like this wasn't even in Joker 2, so never mind if you're playing on a real English cart of literally anything, sorry!] - is that breeding two monsters and having at least three uninherited skills left over (so like, if they have 3 distinct ones each, you pick 3, and that's 3 left over) produces another monster for free (a Tome if 3 skills, a Grimoire if 4, a Lexicon if 5) that gets to inherit those skills and also is counted as having the same parents and pluses as the actual offspring.

So it's an infinite source of +99 rank A Lexicons for fodder, it lets you infinitely reuse the prerequisite skills that combine into the skill you actually want, and also if you have to make something with grandparent requirements like Metal King Slime via 4 Liquid Metal Slimes you can do it with two by making them bang, and produce a book when they bang, then making the baby bang the book.

Holy gently caress. Are the books any good on their own? If so, that sounds like it could be even more exploitable than it already does.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Deified Data posted:

Does the game continue after Calasmos? Should I get everything done that I want to do before i fight him or can I keep doing sidequests afterwards?

After you beat Calasmos, loading that save just puts you back at the point you were before you went to fight him.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Been playing the first Dragon Quest Heroes and I've come to really like the DQ4 characters in it, so I think I might ply their game. Which is the best version: the original NES one or the DS remake?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

YggiDee posted:

I don't care, I love Cheesy Russian Alena.

Same. To be honest, Alena and Kiryl's accents is part of what endeared me to them.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Why on earth did they make Erik’s VA try to sound American when he obviously can’t do it consistently, it sounds so ridiculous, hahaha

Still enjoying the game, but it will probably take me a year to finish it (i am an Old who only games in stolen 30 min. chunks)

Erik's accent is actually supposed to be Scandinavian, from what I've read.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Evil Fluffy posted:

So many posts, I was hoping it was something good like news on the next DQM game. :sigh:

Joker 3 localization never ever Q.Q

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Evil Fluffy posted:

If they make a DQH3 they really need to learn to do co-op properly. I was real excited to play DQH2 with friends until I read about how the co-op "works" in the game. :sigh:

How does it (not) work?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Commander Keene posted:

There are enemies in late game DQ11 (or maybe post-game, I forget) that have green eyes and are literally named "Malicious [X]", that's the joke they're making.

It's Act 3, so what most people would refer to as the 'post-game'.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Sylvando rules for sure, but I am not sure of the best way to use him in battle. I mostly just make him dance every turn because it's kind of hilarious and then beat the monsters with the others...

Sylvando, true to his personality, is built around making sure your other characters can shine rather than doing anything spectacular himself. Oomph is amazing, and the accelerate spells are less-so but still usable. Late game he becomes especially good when paired with any of the female party members, but going into more detail than that would likely be spoilers.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I don't have a favorite cuz I loved all the party members equally, they're all fantastic.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

I think the issue with metal farming in 11 is that there are no guaranteed metal slimes. Even using Electro Light, you have about a 50/50 chance of getting a bunch of killing machines than metal slimes (yeah you can savescum it, but the chance still exists). Contrast with a game like Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2, where every location has a guaranteed meddle/metal/liquid metal spot, and post-game you gain access to a place full of metal kings.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't know if they changed it in S or if I was just really lucky but I never got killing machines

Len posted:

Can confirm you just got lucky

Same, I only played S and every so often the game would just go "hmmm how about killing machines 80 times in a row".

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

The one thing I can suggest is to not invest skillpoints in any tree until you have enough to get the next skill. That way, let's say you're levelling swords- the next skill needs 6 more points, and you invest 3 more in the tree. But before your next level, you decide you want to switch to spears instead. Those 3 points you put towards the next sword skill have now been wasted unless you decide to go back to swords later.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Deki posted:

I'd loving kill for a switch port of the games we missed, or at least the Monster game that's currently in development hell

Same. The Monsters series is actually what got me interested in Dragon Quest, all the way back with the first Joker game. Would absolutely love official releases for Joker 3, etc.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

It's such a shame, because the Monsters series (imo at least) offers such a fresh take on the whole "catch monsters and use them in battle" genre.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

KingSlime posted:

I prefer the scout system because I feel like I have more control over it. But I'm also very early on maybe it gets really annoying later. So far increasing tension seems to be effective enough

Psych Up + Oomph + Sap will massively increase your chances of scouting, and if the remake is anything like the first two Joker games, all 3 will be practically required to scout any late-game monsters you want.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

So no info on the new Monsters game besides "it still exists, maybe". drat, that was the thing I was most hoping for.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Evil Fluffy posted:

What exactly did Joker 3 professional add to the game? I'm guessing some more monsters and maybe an extra area or something?

I heard that it added in an extra (post-game?) storyline where the casts of the first two Joker games come back, too.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, which is weird cause his actual ingame fighting abilities are meh. He even has good stats, he just gets less + X Weapon attack power boosts from his skill trees but Sylvando is so clutch already it would be unfair if he was making GBS threads out damage on top of being so good narratively and as a utility character.

Sylvando's skillset is actually a brilliant reflection of his character. All he wants to do is help people, to bring them joy, and he doesn't really care if he gets recognition for it or not. Of COURSE a guy like that would have a 90% support-based moveset.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Calaveron posted:

So what do the Tickington quests reward? Because I can't say I'm a big fan of playing slow as molasses classic rear end Dragon Warrior

I think each one rewards a unique item item with some pretty powerful effects, like casting Oomphle for free or reducing the magic damage the party takes. They aren't necessary to finish the game by any stretch, I did the first one and stopped and I don't even remember what the reward was, but they can be helpful for sure.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Kild posted:

No cus against the last 3 bosses the poison damage is doing like 60 and his victimizer is doing like 120 at most. Meanwhile Jade is doing 300 without any setup and the Hero is doing similar amounts.

Dumb question, but you unlocked his dual wield skill, right?

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Speaking of 11, though, I've been replaying 11 S and god, I had forgotten how much I loved the Fun-Sized Forge. Making the crafting system into an actual minigame, one that gives you even better equipment if you're good at it, was the best thing they ever did, and I wish more games would take notes.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Commander Keene posted:

Streets of Erdrea, where you wander the DQ11 world as Jade and Rab before the tournament at Octagonia looking for info on Mordegon and beating up thugs and monsters.

I think I would kill for a Yakuza-style game where you play as Jade.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

OzFactor posted:

Hi friends, so, I'm trying not to spoil myself and look at a walkthrough, but I'd like to know how far through DQXI I am. I've got the six orbs and I'm in the forest on top of Arboria and I'm going to assume this is only about halfway through the game, if that. I'm asking because at this point I find the game endlessly charming but not overly compelling. I've really only had one thing that I would consider even remotely challenging (the girl in the mural) and that was pretty quickly solved with rearranging some skills for Serena so I could prevent being charmed. I don't know that I"m asking for the game to get harder, just for something a little more involved than letting the "Show No Mercy" AI run every battle for me and wrap it up in two rounds, then use the Heal All button and walk to the next fight.

Basically: is the game going to pick up from here? Or did I just get older and this is more or less just nostalgic comfort food that I can come back to occasionally on a rainy day?

For reference, you're basically right at the end of Act 1.

I'd say Act 2 is definitely more involved. Not only are the battles on a higher level, but it's a bit more open in terms of what order you can do things in, and based on that order some fights might end up easier or harder.

Act 3 is where the game really takes off the kid gloves. Everything is a lot stronger and there is absolutely no set order for how you do things. If you're still somehow using the AI settings at this point, the game will punish you for it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

KingSlime posted:

Part of me is a little disappointed that it isn't a proper monster game but whatever, I know they're working on one

I don't think they are? Treasures started as a proper Monsters game from what I remember hearing, but now it's morphed into what we have now.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Gaius Marius posted:

They should make new games instead of remakes; monster games specifically.

This but with the caveat that said Monster games should come to the U.S. please.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think I preferred the OG tame mechanic over the RNG attack system from Joker, though neither is especially good imo.

The attack system isn't fully RNG, it's based on how much damage you would hypothetically do with a basic attack. Oomph, psyching up, and sapping the target will more or less all ensure you never fail a scouting attempt until the very end/endgame.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Yeah, to be entirely fair, the hard part was just getting the tools you needed for scouting. Oomph and sap were easy enough since once you find the skill sets that had them, you could just keep passing them on through synthesis, but only Psycho trait monsters could actually psyche up, so trying to always have such a monster on your team could be a bit awkward.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Sherbert Hoover posted:

I've finished every main DQ game except 10 but never played a Monsters game. What's the best one?

My personal vote is for Joker 2, though I'll freely admit that's mostly because it's the most up-to-date version that's actually come to America. I should probably see about scrounging around for a translation of one of the 3DS games...

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

MORE IMPORTANTLY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kxcXZi3WpQ

A NEW MONSTERS GAME

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Evil Fluffy posted:

Dora-in-gray has been used in the DQ Tact mobile game and might've been in Dragon Quest of the Stars (RIP to a bad game) so I'd imagine that monster design will find its way into the new DQM as well.

Iron maidens were already shown to be in the game iirc

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

unattended spaghetti posted:

Yeah to be clear I’m not saying DQ isn’t suitably dark. The mermaid thing in XI for example is extremely grim. What I am wondering is what their definition of dark will end up being.

Because I don’t think the series needs to do what XVI did, i.e. aping GoT for the first bundle of hours.

At least it’s probably safe to say it’ll stay turn-based. Heh. Not that I minded XVI’s switch to realtime. But it would be nice for a flagship series to maintain that classic feel.

Unironically, if 12 drops turn-based combat, I will not be picking it up. I'm tired of devs, reviewers, everyone treating turn-based like it's 'lesser' because... ??? gently caress if I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

KingSlime posted:

Awesome, think the save data will transfer to the full game?

The popup at the start said your data will carry over, as will your monster roster... except stuff like levels won't carry over? At least that's what it sounded like to me.