Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I'm playing Dragon Quest 1 + 2 for SNES with the English patch. I beat Dragon Quest I pretty much no problem.

II is a much longer game and is very open ended, and some areas have straight up Simon's Quest-levels of bullshit. There's also a nasty bug in Beran where, if your party member gets cursed at the inn, you have to revive them with the leaf. After you give them the leaf, the dialog that says "Rolando's complexion is returning to normal!" or whatever endlessly scrolls over and over. Weird. Luckily I had a save state right before that point.

What's the best version of 3? I really don't want to play the Gameboy version...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
That's crazy. I'll give the mobile version a go. It's only ten bux.

I wish SE would just port them to Steam like they've been doing with Final Fantasy games. I hate playing console sized games on my tiny rear end phone.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Y'know, I gave the GBC version of Dragon Quest III a shot, and drat that's a good version. I'll pick up the phone version and try that too, but it's really impressive they fit such a huge game on the loving Gameboy Color. Only thing I really miss is that backgrounds during battles, but the animation on the enemies in combat is so good.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Ok, I preordered Dragon Quest Heroes because I am a bad person.

I liked Hyrule Warriors so much, and Heroes seems different but similarly good.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

mikeycp posted:

I think pre-ordering this one makes you a good and decent human being, since who knows if they're factoring pre-orders into their decision of if we ever get more Dragon Quest over here.

Yeeeah, that's kinda my thought too.

Like, the mobile versions are decent, but I'd rather play them on other platforms, like PC/3DS/Vita, whatever. Literally anything but my phone.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Hope you fuckers that want more DQ in the west bought this game because Square Enix is basically holding the series hostage at this point.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

BiggerJ posted:

I don't know if any of this has already been posted here but, after threatening to never localize the 3DS versions of DQ 7 and 8 if Heroes fails (a backflip from this), Square-Enix has stated that they are considering crowdfunding localizations they'd otherwise pass on.

This is pathetic. SE is a huge goddamn company. Do it and put it out and the people who want it will buy it. gently caress, put it on PC and the JRPG hungry masses will flood to it.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Do you mean the SFC ports?

1&2 is great except for one avoidable bug late in DQ2. Apparently 3's patch has some bugs to it, but I've also heard it's still worth playing. I've been playing the GBC port personally, and that's a great version.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Long story short: When you get to the water city, Beran, don't sleep at the inn.

It launches into a side quest to revive a sick party member, and upon doing so, you get stuck in a dialog loop that's impossible to escape.

Everything else seemed perfectly playable!

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Square Enix is running an Android sale on a few Dragon Quest games for Thanksgiving. I picked up DQ3 and 8.

I'm on a galaxy s3 and 8 runs at about twenty FPS, but it's playable. Not necessarily the most enjoyable, but my PC is too terrible to emulate it well and it's not on PSN as a PS2 classic. I've already pre-ordered the 3DS version.

3 plays fine, but so did 1 and 2.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Are you guys hyped to play Dragon Quest Heroes again via Steam tomorrow?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
The Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow 2DS bundles in Japan are going to be around $130. Probably going to get one for Theaterhythm Dragon Quest and the DQM remake.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Anyone else import Dragon Quest Builders?

I'm a few hours in and it was pretty easy to grasp even without any knowledge of Japanese, but I seem to have hit a wall where I'm not sure what to do. I used the downtime to kill the green dragon on the first island and now I have a sick green couch.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
I hope that DQ Builders sells well and they make an entire series based off of "rebuild the world of Dragon Quest *#* after the bad ending happens."

Which game has the best bad ending?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Someone asked about the Green Dragon in Builders.

I danced around with it for like a full half hour in the Japanese version and you get a nice rear end dragon couch.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
That's okay because we should all be Doing Our Part™ and support #DragonQuestInTheWest

(my wallet...)

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Anyone working on a wiki for DQ Builders buildings?

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

JustJeff88 posted:

Last month, I saw someone on the Japanese version slay a green dragon using a club. He did nothing but 1 (or 2 on a crit) damage per hit and it took him about a quarter-hour to do it, but he won. It was oddly inspiring.

I'm not proud.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004

RedRupee posted:

That Hades Condor fight :negative:

I had not built my town right for that fight. Whatever, time to move onto the next village.

Definitely had to rebuild my whole town after that fight, haha.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
How was the PS2 version of Dragon Quest V? Why didn't they do more of those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Heartbroken at how :effort: the art for the 3DS/PS4 ports is. Looks exactly like the abominations that were the Final Fantasy ports.