Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Terpfen posted:

7 seems ripe for a 3DS re-release now that the game carts have more memory.

This is pretty much the only thing that would convince me to buy a 3DS (right now, at least).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

goldjas posted:

I know people say they've beaten like DQ 8 and 9 without stopping to metal grind...but I couldn't pull it off.

I beat DQ8 without metal-grinding, but I did do a fair bit of regular grinding throughout because I'm a sperlord and had to fully upgrade all my people at every new town. I also skipped the optional bosses, which I know you have to metal-grind for.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

SpaceDrake posted:

Also JEEEEEESUUUUUUUUUUS, what the gently caress happened to the price of DQV? I didn't get a chance to pick it up when it was new and now it's like $75 on Amazon. :psyduck: And Gamestop doesn't even have any used copies in stock!

Does anyone have any idea where I could get a copy for a sane price?

Gamestop. You'll need to check in-store availability and hope you get lucky because you can't get it through the website anymore. I mean, you can get it on eBay but it's going to be $50+ after shipping, while if you get lucky with a local Gamestop it's $34.99 + tax.

Just... Don't try to get the guide.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Genpei Turtle posted:

Curling? In DQVI?

That's gotta be a DS-only addition.

Apparently the head guy wanted to add some new stuff in to the DS versions. I can't remember what DQIV got (maybe monster arena?), DQV got an extra bride and DQVI gets...curling.

One of these things is not like the others.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Awesomonster posted:

Even if you find used copies at Gamestop they're something like $35.

That's a good price when you look at what the game goes for on Amazon and eBay.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Johnny Longtorso posted:

The problem early on seems to be that none of the monsters drop any significant amount of money.

This is...pretty much what DQ games are about. Do you grind endlessly to upgrade all your equipment, or do you push on and hope you can eke out a victory with your welfare stuff?

Except in DQIX. drat I'm rolling in gold in DQIX.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I use them to boost a given character's strong stats. I don't see any reason to boost my healer's strength - though defense, MP, and HP seeds tend to get split evenly since everyone needs those stats.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Chronojam posted:

Let's suppose I haven't played any of these games. Would DQ9 be a good starting point, or will it make me upset at the series?

Are you actually interested in playing the whole series? If so, then start with the first game. If not, start with VIII or IX.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Chronojam posted:

I can see 4, 6, and 9 online for $30 or less from a variety of legit places. But, I can't find 5 anywhere for a reasonable price, not even from sketchy looking sellers. Maybe the local GameStop would have it :(

DQV had a low print run due to DQIV selling pretty poorly (as evidenced by the abundance of copies still available). Getting lucky at a Gamestop is your best bet, otherwise you'll need to turn to eBay/Amazon Marketplace and their inflated prices.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Reforging the preorder bonuses is hilariously broken in the early game.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Its 10 per turn at +3. Makes non-draconian runs even easier.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Calaveron posted:

Please explain forging and reforging to me because I'm afraid of wasting limited resources

You forge stuff by finding the recipe, having all the ingredients, and using the forge.

You reforge stuff by having equipment that is not +3 and perfection pearls. That let's you try to upgrade to a max of +3.

At least early on, there are no limited ingredients, you just need to farm them. You get pearls each time you forge something, and can sometimes find them in chests.

So you're never really wasting resources, just (potentially) time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

I love that the game trolls you by putting a locked door RIGHT where you get the magic key, but the magic key doesn't open it.