Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh thank Christ the beginning of the 7 remake is so much less awful than in the original.

Also wow it looks fantastic, but that was to be expected. Gonna be playing this one for a long time, I think I had 80 hours in the original version and wasn't even halfway done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gotta say, I'm disappointed the accents aren't sillier (yet). Only just now beat the second island though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ofecks posted:

I actually liked these. I thought it was fun to speak some of it out loud. I lived alone when I played through it (the DS version), thankfully.

I'm immune to thick written accents, especially Scottish ones, because I've read a lot of Irvine Welsh novels.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's worth buying a GBA for the remake of 3, it's not like GBAs cost any money at all

1 is a game that you just can't make good unless you make it about an hour long, max, and the remake is still 4-5 hours I think

2 is frustrating but I think it's a lot of fun overall

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Olivil posted:

A backlit GBA SP is worth more than a 2DS.

Still worth it :colbert:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man this remake just about shot this one up to maybe my favorite in the series. Story isn't the best but everything else is fantastic. Only wish they had put the board game from the 3-6 remakes in :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bigass Moth posted:

Should I play 3 or 7 next? 3 is about 20-30 hours right?

Hell if you want to you can beat 3 in probably just a shade over 10 hours.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Your Computer posted:

So, thread; what do you consider to be the best starting point in the series? I love JRPGs (I'm the type who inspects every box, jar and crate and talks to every NPC 5 times. I also unironically enjoy backtracking) even if/because it takes ages to complete them. I also love job systems/character customization.

I would say either 4 or 5. 5 is generally the better game but 4 has a really cool framing technique that puts it over the top for me personally. I love games that are segmented into small chunks (which is probably why I'm loving 7 so much again)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesus, this game gives your old JRPG Bullshit muscles a workout. I was just stuck for 20 minutes because I went to Animal Town, talked to a few people, had Kiefer say "Hey, remember that guy that can talk to animals?", went all the way back to the Woodcutter, he didn't help, went back to Animal Town and apparently had missed a building with Ruff in it, triggering a cutscene, after which Kiefer said the exact same "Hey, remember that guy that can talk to animals?" speech, only at which point could I get the woodcutter to come with me and progress the quest.

Which I also got stuck on for 10 minutes because I had overlooked a backdoor to one of the houses. :suicide:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

irlZaphod posted:

I need to stop reading this thread because I'm now not looking forward to Alltrades Abbey.

This thread for some reason has majorly overstated how hard/annoying it is. I didn't explicitly grind, just never ran away either, and the whole sequence was pretty easy by DQ standards.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moriveth posted:

Perhaps in the end, the real Dragon Quest was the friends we made along the way.

I think it was Frederick Wilde who said "Be careful when you fight the Dragonlord, lest you the Dragonlord become".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lorini posted:

Can anyone help with getting plate armor in Chapter 1 for DQ Builders? Thanks in advance!

You need a rare drop from the Bunnicorns to make it. It's also not really necessary so I wouldn't stress about it. I just wore Wayfarer's Clothes the whole chapter for the speed boost.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do things pick up in or after Chapter 2? This chapter is kind of a bummer and it's a pain in the rear end because I can't even make a Big Chest yet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
DQ7: I got a Mimic Heart without even trying. Can someone point me to a page that tells you what stat bonuses you get for mastering each class?

DQ Builders: It is just plain masochism to make you build a new Colossal Coffer in every chapter. :mad:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Decus posted:

The Japanese Wiki. You don't keep bonuses from mastering unless you're in the class, so it's only worth it if you're wanting to keep a mimic in your party. Actually, Mimic is considered a tier 1 and thus doesn't even have a mastery bonus.

Oh, I meant for the regular classes, do you not get permanent stat boosts for mastering Basic human classes? :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh, that kind of sucks, I was hoping I could have more control over characters' stats beyond feeding them seeds. Well, glad I found out now, I've only just now got everyone in their second class.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My wife bought the phone remake of DQ1 with Google Fun Bucks, I'm gonna play it tonight I think.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay I feel like an idiot, I finished the Egyptian island in the past, now the game says there's a fragment at the dig site but I can't get in, and a fragment at the temple but I can't find it, what am I missing?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That was it, apparently I hadn't talked to the archaeologist in the past before I left.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Good Citizen posted:

Act 3 town music in builders is so bad. Why is there no mute music option I can still hear it gently caress gently caress gently caress

Is it worse than the constant Chapter 2 noise of Paralyzed people lying in the Infirmary for like 75% of the loving chapter oh my godddddd

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tired Moritz posted:

how the hell do anyone play DQ on the mobile. The controls feels terrible and I keep accidentally entering and exiting places.

We only have 1 and 2 but they're fine. It helps to lift up your thumb and put it back down rather than trying to treat your screen like an analog stick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Len posted:

I picked up DQ7 and I think I'm doing combat wrong. Ive been leveling jobs with my characters but boss fights seem to boil down to Maribel and Goku keeping the main character alive while he uses focus strength and uses various offensive abilities until I find one that actually does more damage than his basic attack. I'm around level 20 and just finished not-Germany and saved the world tree.

No, it takes a little while longer from where you are for any tactics more advanced than that to be "good".

That's where I am in the game too, MC is a Sailor with Thief mastered, Ruff is a Healslime with Warrior and Fighter mastered, and Maribel is a Mage with Dancer mastered, and that's how all my boss fights go. I think you're a little under-leveled though, I'm around 23.

e: Ruff is actually probably a better hitter than MC, depending on where you've put your seeds, in most fights MC Heals while Maribal Saps

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mr. Fortitude posted:

If I remember correctly IX was only brought over because of Nintendo as well.

Correct, Nintendo put a ton of effort into marketing it at Gamestop as well. Nintendo is awesome. :wooper:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've always heard that for arcane reasons DQ8 ran much better than DQ7 on 3DS. I can't even remember where I heard that, it was probably on here honestly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, but also get yourself into some advanced classes. Warrior/Martial Artist/Priest is enough to go Gladiator/Paladin>Champion>Hero so that's covered for the first two, Ruff might want Sailor>Pirate and then Martial Artist>Gladiator>Hero. Alternatively, if you're going to use Maribel as your caster at endgame... uh, it's Sage, right? Mage+Priest is Sage? And then Troubador+Jester>Luminary>Druid or whatever it's called.

Yeah Pirate is real good and looks cool. I'm gonna make Maribel a Pop Idol :dance:

Sailor is also way better for a starter class than you might think, especially early on, since their last ability is a free multi-hit lightning attack.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

In Training posted:

Absolutely no idea yet, except that it will be a classic DQ game and the 3DS version will be the same story but with like DW7 style graphics and the option to turn them into SNES-era graphics

So what you're saying is that there's no reason to buy the Switch version at all then?

Chachi posted:

Christ almighty, Rimuldar was garbage. Huge sprawling area with a ton of high plateaus that waste your time (even factoring in cutting stairs to get around), garbage armor and weapons until the last leg of the chapter, and a boss that requires you to have your stationary, single-directional weapons placed at the perfect height or you watch the bolts fly harmlessly over it.

I really hope chapter 3 is amazing, because Rimuldar was a complete chore. I don't know if I could stand going back to try to get the last two challenges.

Yeah I've got it paused in the other room and I just want it to be over with. I don't even have a third teleportal yet so I'm probably a long way off. I did get a Sapphire by sheer luck so I have a Cloak of Evasion which is nice but Christ where are potatoes I didn't sign up for Harvest Moon nooooooo

On the upside I built my garden on top of a building, which is pretty fuckin' awesome. I've made such a weirdly elaborate fort this time. I'll screenshot it, here:

I feel like this mess of stairs that go nowhere, uneven floors, and rooms littered with empty "bottles" adequately expresses my feelings.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is the Free Mode a new map every time you start it otherwise what's the point?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo gently caress the time loop island.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

precision posted:

Holy poo poo gently caress the time loop island.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You find the best meltdowns hidden away in corners of the Internet. Much like Mini Medals.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

How Ingratiating! posted:

I've gotten as far as getting Sir Mervyn in DQVII, maybe 30 or so hours in. The game's not hard (especially with me abusing Lucky Panel/grinding vocations/using thread spoilers), but god, it feels like crawling through molasses a lot of the time.

Yeah the biggest issue in DQ7 is that you often go quite long stretches without doing a dungeon or any meaningful exploration. It's the nadir of "talk to this guy, then go to this place to trigger this scene then go back and talk to that guy again then go to the present and Zoom to a town near the patch of dirt you have to visit to trigger another scene" style RPGs.

Still a great game mind.

Holy poo poo!!!!!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's a real shame because the first two Dragon Quest Monsters games were like, a million times better than the Pokemon games they were contemporary to (in fact, I'd rather play DQM2 than even the latest Pokemon games).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
All this talk is making me legitimately wonder how I beat the game (DQ2) as a kid.

Also now I'm confused because Wikipedia says it came out in 1990 which makes no sense because I very distinctly remember my best friend and I owning the game in 1988 or 1989 at the absolute latest because I moved away in very early 1989. :confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I finally got back into Builders, Chapter 2 really made me need a break. Chapter 3 is fantastic so far, and it feels good to actually take the base building seriously finally. My Great Work right now is a giant tower that will focus as a hub for the weird floating platform treehouse I'm turning it into. Gonna be annoying to get around in but gonna look sweeeeet

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
DQ Heroes did unexpectedly well on PS4 (hence why we're getting the second one!) so I'd be insanely shocked if we don't get both versions.

Dragon Quest XI: The Biggerest Anime?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

swampcow posted:

started playing builders today and i cant put it down. my only other experience in this franchise is dragon warrior 1 for nes. if the other games are even 70% as fun as this game, i'll be busy for awhile.

Welcome to the wonderful world of menu-based exploration!

NAh but for real, Builders is very good, if you don't want to jump right into the RPGs I'd recommend DQ:Heroes as it is very cool and cute and fun.

On your descent into Toriyamaland continues, don't neglect DQ Monsters. Even the first 2 games in it (both got localized for the Game Boy Color) are very very good, in fact I'd say they're way better "monster collecter" games than most Pokemon entries.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
He's not wrong though, the Golem was super easy and the Condor was much easier than people had said.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
hahaha what the hell

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope someone grabbed a screenshot of that, it was like seeing a unicorn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Alena is probably my single favorite character in the series. She's just mad stylish and tough.

e: she's really awesome in DQ Heroes