Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I played Dragon Quest V on DS for ten hours today. What the gently caress...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Captain Vittles posted:

I'm impressed by your restraint. I lost many a weekend with DQV. :golfclap:

The rest of the weekend has been spent at work. It could have been more.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't think Square ever said that Dragon Quest Heroes sales will factor into their decision to bring over future DQ titles to the west.

...but they never denied it either.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is the Japanese script for the 3DS Dragon Quest VII.

Also keep in mind that Japanese text can contain about 5x the amount of info that English text can.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'll gladly trade any future Kingdom Hearts games for more Dragon Quest titles.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I wanna fight Kon in PS4 graphics so bad.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Anyone know if this is the kind of game where I can pause cutscenes, or cutscenes will pause if I go into the home menu, or will cutscenes completely skip if I press Options/continue if I go into the home screen?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bitchin'.

Oh man. This game is gorgeous. It brings a gleeful smile to my face that most games can't do anymore.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

How do I access the slime DLC weapons?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Should be a slip with a code inside your case.

I redeemed the code and downloaded each weapon. I don't know where in the game to access them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Calaveron posted:

Oh man that trial where you learn zoom is kinda hard isn't it, when you're fighting the automatrons and all the shield Knights who interrupt your attacks plus heal slimes

I got killed by the very last automatron when he was at low health. :argh: I didn't even think to use my tension guage til after. Then my second attempt at the mission, no automatrons appeared at all!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

i just bought dqv for ds is it good? i'm gonna play it and probably 8 when it comes out but i hear 7 is insanely long so i might wait on that until the time is right.

DQV is my favorite. It's got a really personal story for a jrpg. More centered around family than saving the world.

I'm so happy were getting DQVII and VIII.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The announcement feels like those dreams I have where something minor, but nice happens and then I don't realize that only happened in a dream til later the afternoon and I'm disappointed.

Except it is happening this time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You fight a dragon five minutes into the game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know how anyone couldn't like regional dialects in Dragon Quest. The first time I saw it it was like a revelation. Until then, I never realized that you travel the world in every other RPG and everyone has the same accent.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It's really refreshing to see a publisher selling actual physical coins instead of shady digital ones for F2P games.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I couldn't put DQV down. Started it and finished it in the span of a weekend. I never do that with RPGs not called Chrono Trigger.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There was a discussion with Yuji Hori about Dragon Quest and DQVII at PAX today hosted by Nintendo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePZhKQ6MpT4
Hori continues the trend of Japanese game developers aging incredibly well.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MIDI or not, the music is still great.

Gimme a :yeah: if you let the entire Dragon Quest theme play out before starting a new game.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

gigawhite posted:

I beat dq5 in like 28 hours so I'm down for a long rear end dragon quest

Looking back, DQV is paced like Chrono Trigger. Very short (in RPG terms), but has your attention the whole time.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not that I'm not happy to finally have it, but Square Enix should have viewed the US release as an opportunity to do a DQVII+ version with enhancements like they did with Bravely Default and countless other games and just give us that one. That way they sell it in the west and get some of the Japanese player base to double dip.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I don't know, but I'd say it was intentionally easy since she didn't want to live, but didn't want to outright commit suicide.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Question: There is a little chameleon on the MC's shoulder in the DQVII PS1 cover. But it's not seen in any of the 3DS artwork (that I have seen.) Does he have a chameleon buddy?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AriadneThread posted:

i don't think lizardfriend has survived to the remake

to be fair, lizardfriend pretty much didn't exist outside some promo art and the ps1 intro

wisdom has an effect on spell damage/healing but to what degree has always been really unclear to me. there is a mini-game that opens later on where you get a prize for having the wisest, strongest, or prettiest man or woman in the world. are at least there was in the original, i assume it's still in

Oh. :(

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I know it's only a few weeks until the election, but I'm putting my hat in the ring. If I get elected, I promise to enact a law to get every past unreleased and future Dragon Quest localized releases, street pass features changed to internet features, and I'm gonna make Square Enix pay for it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did you just talking to the dude blocking the way? Pretty sure all I did was talk to him and he let me in.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

precision posted:

Gotta say, I'm disappointed the accents aren't sillier (yet). Only just now beat the second island though.

Oh. They're about to ramp up the silly accents.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Are DQ 1-3 in either NES/GBC iterations not on the eShop? Either way, I'm edging toward getting XI on the 3DS rather the PS4...

Nope. I'd love to have the GBC games on my 3DS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I just finished the Fobrisher Present story and I seem to be missing a red fragment. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Brother Entropy posted:

if you didn't go talk to the guy you were helping out at his house in the town go do that, his granddaughter has a red fragment

You just saved me a couple hours of searching. Thanks!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Kiefer is totally gonna c*ck Florin.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Alright, I just made it to Alltrades Abbey. I'm terrible when it comes to assigning jobs/skills/what have you. Anyone mind giving me a good starting vocation for MC/Maribel/Ruff?

Edit: I'VE BEEN DECEIVED. DO LISTEN TO THE HIGH PRIEST OR BATHE IN THE CLEANSING WATERS. YOU WILL REGRET THIS.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Sep 21, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Forky Pig. :gerty:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Party chat is nice, but it's definitely better on DS because of buttons and battery life.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I enjoy the accents in Dragon Quest because in every other RPG ever, you travel the world and everyone else has the same accent. Different accents liven things up, even if they can be cartoonish sometimes. The Dragon Quest localizers at least seem to try to keep them grounded without being stereotypical.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok, this time for real. What vocations should I choose to begin with?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

AriadneThread posted:

shepard gives you an ability to reduce damage from breath attacks, priest has a rez spell at the end, and sailor tops off with a 0mp hit everything on screen ability for 40-50 damage. those are all pretty useful to have.
mage and fighter are solid do-more-damage choices, thief has some nice quality of life treasure hunting spells. I haven't seen what they've done with dancer, jester, and troubadour but i'm guessing status effects. warrior is just kind of there. not bad, but nothing too special.

All useful information. Is DQVII's vocation system more where I should choose one job and stick to it, or more like Bravely Default where you're encouraged to switch around a lot?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What do I do with the monster hearts? I got that Healslime Heart and put it on Ruff, but I got no idea how it works.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Probably a toss-up between 4 or 5. I'll recommend 5 since it's actually a pretty short one, but the story is amazing. Had me hooked the entire time.

Edit: I know a giant chunk of players were first introduced to the series with 8. I'm thinking that remake is going to sell a lot better than 7 did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006