Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Are DQ 1, 2 and 3 good buys on Switch? I don't mind the new graphics.

I know they're old rear end games with some archaic things but I've been on a kick playing games like that this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Sure, they're a totally fine way of playing things. DQ3 won't have the animated sprites or Pachisi or whatever it was called, but I never liked that thing anyway :v:

Is there something that lists all the differences between the versions? I'm torn between Switch and mobile. I do prefer how characters look on the mobile version but it's mobile.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Famicom/NES - the originals
SNES - amazing remakes. III has animated sprites. I+II are great too. No official translation in English but the best versions.
GBC - great and with gameplay additions but the graphics aren't good as SNES. Still among the best looking on the system though. Watch the GBC version of III's intro. It's crazy for a Gameboy game. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS3k3vInJPM GBC might be on par with SNES but I still pretty SNES a tiny, tiny bit.
Mobile - pretty drat good. Retranslated entirely English with spiffy new translations but no animated sprites.Added ability to quick save just in case.
Switch - seems to be the same as besides graphics?

Thanks for this. Now I’m torn between Switch and mobile.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What’s the best way to play V? DS?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want to go through the entire series too. Very slowly going to start with the Switch ports of 1, 2 and 3.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Has anyone played through the fan translation of Rocket Slime 3? How does it compare to 2 on DS?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Switch ports have different character sprites and enemy art than mobile I believe. Some people hate how they look but I think they look fine. The classic sprite art is better but it’s not nearly as bad as say, mobile FF6.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

spacebard posted:

From last page, but the translation is not the 100% pun-filled, silly goodness of 2. It has its cute moments and dad jokes though. Most of the humor is in text that you may not be paying attention to as you play whereas the text that's more prominent is less so (to be vague and non-spoilery). It's still pretty silly even if it's not all puns imo.

The game mechanics are good, but there are some hit box quirks to get used to. There are a few different strategies that work for the most part. The post-game is a collectible grind.

That’s a shame it sounds like it’s a more direct translation. The silly pun filled translations is what made me look at the DQ franchise in the first place. I already have it installed on my 3DS so I’ll give it a shot anyway.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

OhFunny posted:

The Switch ports are the mobile ports. The biggest loss is the lack of monster animations, because the mobile ports were designed for Japanese mobile phones (predating smartphones) back in 2004.

They’re not the same. Look at them side by side and you can clearly see character sprites are different.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

OhFunny posted:

Well I'll be...

I'll chalk that up to not playing the mobile version very long due to disliking the touch controls.

To make it more confusing, the Switch versions are actually taken from the Japanese only 3DS ports.

This series is really confusing to get into as a western fan.:v:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nash posted:

Veronica I was also worried about but she is ok.

The last DQ game I played was the original Dragon Warrior IV on the NES when it first came out. It reminds me of why I preferred DW to the final fantasy games.

When I finish up this one what would be the next modern one I should play?

Play V. A lot of people consider it to be the best game in the series.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Localize X, drat it. It looks like an mmo I’d actually play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

kirbysuperstar posted:

It is essentially a more modern FFXI with a DQ skin, I quite liked it.

I’d much prefer to play in the DQ setting for an mmo than FF. Much more cozy.