Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I rarely venture into D&D for more than the recent events on Eastern Europe and did not even know there was a Finnish politics thread, but today seems like the best of days to chime in. What happened today was a turn towards the better and it feels really awesome to be a Finn now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Christmas, if you like listening to Varpunen jouluaamuna

The trick is to make it part of a drinking game: take a shot whenever you sing "nyt."

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Wheany posted:

I say let them stay. We already won, no need to be a bad winner about it.

I agree, as long as they don't try to torpedo changes to the Translaki while in government.

How's that thing going by the way? I've been in two dark with regards to Finnish politics for quite a while now.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Not really related to politics, but since it's the season I got talking with my folks about how Santa Claus was originally Odin the All-Father :black101: and an interesting question arose: even though we get our word for Christmas from the Swedes, we refer to Santa as Joulupukki. Where the hell does the idea of Santa being a goat come from? Probably some pre-Christian Finnish tradition mixing with the later-imported Germanic Santa?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Nenonen posted:

I voted for Ossi Mäntylahti.

Nnirvi for president.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Once again, Yle nails it with an absolutely amazing shot of Stubb.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Pannaan suoli Suomi kuntoon.

e: In reference to backdoor cutting

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Zilkin posted:

Teuvo's hangover hasn't prevented him from giving an interview this morning. He truly is the "kansanmies" we deserve.

quote:

Hakkarainen on huolestunut myös siitä, että Helsinki on kohta täysin maahanmuuttajien valtaama.

- Sieltä joutuu kantasuomalaiset lähtemään pois, takaisin maaseudulle. Miksi meille tulee tuollaista hulluutta tuolta Syyriasta?

Hänen mukaansa turvapaikkaturismi suorastaan "rehottaa" Suomessa nykyään.

- En ymmärrä, miksei tähän asiaan puutua. Jos työpaikalla tapahtuu jokin tapaturma, siihen puututaan heti. Miksei samalla tavalla tehdä myös turvapaikkaturismin suhteen?

Hakkaraisen mukaan ongelmia aiheuttavat juuri radikaali-islamismiin uskovat miehet. Naiset ja lapset sen sijaan ovat tervetulleita Suomeen.
Like, is this actually a thing that people who live outside of Helsinki think is going on here? I live here and I've yet to see any major displacement of Finnish people because of immigrants. Is this just a case of confirmation bias on Teuvo's part (when you believe that beduiinit are coming here to steal our lands and form terrorist cells you see beduiinit everywhere) or have I just drunk the vihervasemmistomädättäjä Coolaid and thus become blind to the fact that I'm apparently the only white Finnish person left in Helsinki and that the guys who run the local kebab place are probably a terrorist cell?

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 20, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

vuohi posted:

edit: You have to drop the stupid-rear end dialect though or else we will kick your rear end at the ABC toilets.

Please, I'm from Helsinki. Only the people outside of Kehä 3 have dialects. :smug:

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

"Haha you silly country people saying 'mie' and 'sie' and 'mää' and 'sää' your dialects are so cute" said the person from Helsinki unironically while using mä and sä and going dokaa to Skatta.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Stubb hallitustunnusteluista: Katsotaan silmiin ja mietitään, onko tämä se kaveri?

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 22, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Jyppe posted:

I guess TF wants to go to opposition once again:
http://www.iltalehti.fi/uutiset/2015042419576044_uu.shtml

quote:

Euroopan talousalueen ulkopuolelta tulevien opiskelijoiden pitää maksaa lukukausimaksuja.

I'm not sure how to feel about this. At worst it could potentially damage the international appeal of Finnish education, one of the few things Finland still can feel proud of on an international level.

Like, international students already can't get opintotuki if they're here for the sole purpose of studying, which means that just to study here they'll inevitably have to either get a job in Finland, which will inevitably generate capital for Finland, or alternately have to cover their living expenses through some other means. Regardless, even without tuition they're bringing in money here while not getting any free grants from the government. I'm not seeing what purpose excluding non-European citizens from having access to free Finnish education serves.

I'm sure there's some aspect to it that I'm unaware of. Can someone more literate on this subject enlighten me?

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, I'm also wondering how well the new government's talks of juustohöylä are going to sit with the average Persu voter.

On the conservative-liberal thing, though, even though the government we'll be getting will definitely be a conservative one it seems that the parliament in general is going to be quite liberal minded. According to the vaalikone, should a gently caress pakkoruotsi law come forward the vote on that will be pretty much split fifty-fifty. Similarly, tempering one of my fears of having Persut in the government, an overwhelming majority of 60% of MPs are in favor of gender neutral marriage and adoption, so short of Sipilä and Soini going full puoluekuri (doubtful) any proposition about reverting the law right now is not going to work out.

It's going to be an interesting four years: a very socially conservative government tempered not only by a very liberal opposition (save for KD of course) as well as by Kok who are sort of split on the conservative-liberal axis and the occasional dissident voice in Perskusta.

E: vitun autocorrect

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Kemper Boyd posted:

I think Sipilä has said several times that the law will progress as planned since it was already voted on. I don't think it's a big deal for him or Keskusta.

Geriatric Pirate posted:

Yeah, his vaalikone answer was that he was opposed to the law when it was voted for but he won't roll it back.

This is nice to hear!

I had a big effortpost coming about the state of pakkoruotsi and language education in Finland from the point of view of an English major with language teaching as a specialty, but posting anything longer than two short paragraphs on this phone is an exercise in frustration. Once I get back on my computer I might muster the energy to type it up, but the main point is that too many kids start studying English in favor of other languages at too young an age when those formative years would be better spent learning a language they're not going to interact with extramurally.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

konna posted:

Juustohöylä philosophy is bullshit. Dungeons and Dragons taught me years ago that min-maxing is best. Charisma = dump stat so cut "Ulkosuhteet" to zero. I like wizards so "Maanpuolustus" = Str to zero. 4 billion cut done and done.

Which edition though? There's some neat stuff you can do with Cha in 3e, and Warlords and Fighters are legit best classes in 4e.

Also, I hate to be the one to tell you this, but Wizards don't exist irl

e: Also, what is Finland's alignment? Please answer using a motivational poster image macro because that's the only way I can understand political discussions.

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 07:38 on May 15, 2015

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

I hear we're looking into giving police the right to both arrest and sentence people all in one go. Finally we'll have our own Judge Perkele, the guardian of Mega City Ring-3

Man, as a kid I couldn't wait to live in a futuristic dystopia because the movies always made it seem so loving cool. Color 13-year-old me disappointed.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Wheany posted:

I petted some cats and realized nothing because cats are like super stupid.

Same. It was my cat though.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Is it too late to go back to bear worship (and I don't just mean Tom of Finland) and having sorcerers powerful enough to scare the poo poo out of Vikings?

Basically, things have gone steadily downhill since those drat Swedes came in to enrich our culture with all that weird monotheism poo poo.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I skipped four pages of this thread just to say that Kiitos t-shirts becoming the height of fashion in Japan on account of the Japanese peoples' weird Fennophilia is basically the greatest thing ever.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

I missed out on all the cool Gallup chat, but I agree with whoever it was who said that as funny as it is seeing Persut lose so many voters it's quite sad that the two actual leading parties in the government are going relatively unscathed. Although I guess it boils down to their voters seeing the government's actions ("gently caress the poors") being exactly what they ordered.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Also, lol at the warriors of Odin, even our right-wing nutters import their cultural icons from Scandinavia while protecting our proud Fingol heritage.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Apparently God is a Kokperskusta voter.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

It's a weird line of thinking that God is the one who puts governments and MPs in place by his divine will, because simply looking at the difference between government's in the past twenty years gives the impression that God must be really fickle and capricious, wait, nevermind, this checks out

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Does anyone still have the KokPersKusta picture someone posted after the last election? Might be fun to have for the sake of posterity if the government goes belly up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

Someone made a new and improved one which integrated the "Kusta" part of Keskusta on it, but I might've found it somewhere else on the internet and just gotten confused. It was truly the height of class.

Oh, there it is:

• Locked thread