Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

He's probably loving poo poo up to test how the people who take over for him can rebuild it when he walks away.

He's loving crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

He's very deadpan, but I do think he was genuinely surprised that Bryan's afraid of water.

This whole affair just EXPOSES Alvarez for the terrible booker/writer that he is. If he had told us about all of this before his BATTLE~ with Vinny it would have given that kiddie pool spot so much more impact :bahgawd:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

On the last Bryan and Vinnie show they were talking about some god awful mid-atlantic championship wrestling show. It sounded both hilarious and racially offensive.

That show alone is worth the Observer subscription.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
And if you like racially offensive and MMA there is Five Star Radio with Michael Coughlin!

He loves Armenians!

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

And if you like racially offensive and MMA there is Five Star Radio with Michael Coughlin!

He loves Armenians!

I didn't mean the podcast was racially offensive, I meant the stuff in Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling was offensive!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
David Lagana is going to be on Review-A-Wai this week talking about Wrestlemania 19.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

dave meltzer is great at audio

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Akileese posted:

On the last Bryan and Vinnie show they were talking about some god awful mid-atlantic championship wrestling show. It sounded both hilarious and racially offensive.

That show alone is worth the Observer subscription.

I've have that Mid Atlantic show they were talking about, it was on 24/7. It's really really bad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

I've have that Mid Atlantic show they were talking about, it was on 24/7. It's really really bad.

Screenshots of the daisy dukes?

Or maybe it is better if you don't.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

Screenshots of the daisy dukes?

Or maybe it is better if you don't.

Jesus that match was everything they said it was and more. The best bad match I've seen in a long drat time, it was hilarious. Gonna have to Youtube it for people to see.

Seriously everything on this show is awful but hilarious. Except the Brisco and Muraco match which featured nothing but armbars and hammerlocks.

Here's the Porkchop Cash match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ol8qLGaNQ

"OH JESUS CHRIST!!!"

And bonus Kelly Kiniski Promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UlsXhxl8gM

X-O fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 4, 2011

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

David Lagana is going to be on Review-A-Wai this week talking about Wrestlemania 19.
This sounds amazing, can't wait.

pgdn
Jul 4, 2004

FUCK YEAH VIDEO GAMES
Colt Cabana has an excellent podcast up this week with Cassandro - it's actually really interesting to hear the discrimination he went through and how he came to be who he is in wrestling.

I listen to Colt pretty religiously, I really like the stories he manages to get out of wrestlers I've barely heard anything about and it's good to hear more about wrestlers you dismissed when you saw them on TV, I'd definitely recommend a download of this week's podcast at least.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Sue Denim posted:

This sounds amazing, can't wait.

Lagana was on R.A.W. a few weeks ago talking about Royal Rumble 2005 (Whichever one where Vince tore his quads). It was really cool to hear him talk about the chaos backstage when both Batista and Cena went over the top rope together. Apparently only Cena was supposed to go over, but Batista slipped and they went over together. Vince tearing his quads also changed the TV a bit because Stephanie pretty much became the defacto head of the WWE while he was recovering from surgery. Really neat stuff, I can't wait to hear more about WM19.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I remember going through that poo poo frame by frame and Batista totally hit the floor first.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

HulkaMatt posted:

I remember going through that poo poo frame by frame and Batista totally hit the floor first.

Yeah, they actually got pretty lucky it wasn't super-duper obvious.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

jeffersonlives posted:

Yeah, they actually got pretty lucky it wasn't super-duper obvious.

I always wondered if The Rock's win in 2000 was supposed to lead into that angle with Big Show on purpose or if it was done because Rock's feet obviously hit the ground first. When Big Show got the video of the other angle there was no question at all that Rocks's feet hit first.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

Lagana was on R.A.W. a few weeks ago talking about Royal Rumble 2005 (Whichever one where Vince tore his quads). It was really cool to hear him talk about the chaos backstage when both Batista and Cena went over the top rope together. Apparently only Cena was supposed to go over, but Batista slipped and they went over together. Vince tearing his quads also changed the TV a bit because Stephanie pretty much became the defacto head of the WWE while he was recovering from surgery. Really neat stuff, I can't wait to hear more about WM19.
I listened to that, for some reason it didn't sink in that it was Dave Lagana.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Matt Morgan comes off like a pretty smart guy in that LAW interview, he basically has no tolerance for this macho tough guy bullshit that the old dudes are selling and he's really concerned about concussions in sports. I'm not sure why the WWE never got behind him or gave him a decent gimmick, except that maybe he was a backstage problem in that he doesn't seem to have much tolerance for, again, the old dudes backstage and that whole hierarchy. I'm just basing that off a throwaway rant about concussion attitudes, though.

Also it's hard to reconcile Lagana's podcasts and this picture of Vince as not wanting to be associated with his pappy's wrassling business, because it seems like the old wrassling carnies makes all the decisions of any importance.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Role Play McMurphy posted:

Matt Morgan comes off like a pretty smart guy in that LAW interview, he basically has no tolerance for this macho tough guy bullshit that the old dudes are selling and he's really concerned about concussions in sports. I'm not sure why the WWE never got behind him or gave him a decent gimmick, except that maybe he was a backstage problem in that he doesn't seem to have much tolerance for, again, the old dudes backstage and that whole hierarchy. I'm just basing that off a throwaway rant about concussion attitudes, though.

Also it's hard to reconcile Lagana's podcasts and this picture of Vince as not wanting to be associated with his pappy's wrassling business, because it seems like the old wrassling carnies makes all the decisions of any importance.
I cannot remember exactly who or what was said but someone did go in depth with why Matt Morgan didn't get the push he deserved and got saddled with an awful gimmick. It might have been Corny's YouShoot thing, but I'm not sure.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
When it comes down to it, Matt Morgan is a lovely wrestler. He has been wrestling for about 10 years and still looks green as hell.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

When it comes down to it, Matt Morgan is a lovely wrestler. He has been wrestling for about 10 years and still looks green as hell.

That's never stopped some people.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

MassRayPer posted:

Sure, but that's never been a problem for the WWE before, especially considering he's a huge dude who can cut decent promos and is really not that bad in the ring compared to other big guys they've tried to push.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Role Play McMurphy posted:

I've noticed this too, it's a bizarre paradox.

No matter how hard he tries Vince just can't seem to scrub the carnie from his psyche, you'd think he'd realise that he acts like a well off carnie being the smart guy he apparently is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

The Adrenaline Flush series that's someone's put up on THE BOARD is a compilation of every B&V rundown of impact in any given month. The July 2009 always gets me in stitches. I wish I could post it here simply because it's the best thing to demonstrate how funny B&V are.

I hate to bring this back up after so much time, but I have a question that the search function on The Board is not helping with. Was Volume 47 the last one done of these? I don't venture onto the The Board too much, just listen to the shows and read the newsletters, and I can't find anything past Volume 47 and that was so long ago it makes me thing these comps aren't being made anymore.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Sue Denim posted:

I've noticed this too, it's a bizarre paradox.

No matter how hard he tries Vince just can't seem to scrub the carnie from his psyche, you'd think he'd realise that he acts like a well off carnie being the smart guy he apparently is.

Most silly things in WWE can be put down to Vince being a self-loathing, senile and generally crazy old man.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Borh posted:

Sure, but that's never been a problem for the WWE before, especially considering he's a huge dude who can cut decent promos and is really not that bad in the ring compared to other big guys they've tried to push.

His promos sucked for years and now they are average rather than bad. He's still really far away from cutting a money promo. Maybe that is the guy scripting them, but other people in TNA cut good promos so I doubt it. When he was in WWE he was really bad in the ring and not any good on the mic. The only person worse than him in the ring who has stuck around for a long period of time is Khali. Think of all of the giant turds they've rushed onto TV and rushed off less than a year later. Morgan was no different than any of them except he looks more generic.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

I hate to bring this back up after so much time, but I have a question that the search function on The Board is not helping with. Was Volume 47 the last one done of these? I don't venture onto the The Board too much, just listen to the shows and read the newsletters, and I can't find anything past Volume 47 and that was so long ago it makes me thing these comps aren't being made anymore.

The guy who does them will go a long time between making new ones. I'm not sure why as it shouldn't take more than half an hour to make one, but that is still half an hour out of someone's day.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.

MassRayPer posted:

His promos sucked for years and now they are average rather than bad. He's still really far away from cutting a money promo. Maybe that is the guy scripting them, but other people in TNA cut good promos so I doubt it.

To be fair to the guy, they gave him a stuttering gimmick. He'd have to be loving Cicero to get over with that.

Look, I'm not trying to say Morgan is a great wrestler. He's average, at best. But considering Vince has a huge hard-on for guys with his body type and he is, in my opinion, at least marginally better than those other turds you mentioned, as well as being a smart guy who seems to like the business and is willing to learn and improve, he could probably have done better in the WWE.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Borh posted:

To be fair to the guy, they gave him a stuttering gimmick. He'd have to be loving Cicero to get over with that.

Look, I'm not trying to say Morgan is a great wrestler. He's average, at best. But considering Vince has a huge hard-on for guys with his body type and he is, in my opinion, at least marginally better than those other turds you mentioned, as well as being a smart guy who seems to like the business and is willing to learn and improve, he could probably have done better in the WWE.

The Matt Morgan you see now would do fine in WWE. The hard on Vince has for big guys is the reason he didn't get the chance. He was years away from being TV ready when he was brought up. The stuttering gimmick didn't help, but the Matt Morgan who was brought up was like most of the big guys who are brought up. They are not ready for TV. Vince falls in love with their size and assumes they are, then they bomb and he finds a new 7 foot hard on. It is his love of giant sweaty men that means most of them won't have a chance. It is what gets them on TV and gets them sent packing.

If Vince was in a coma for 2 years while Morgan developed then sure he would still be in WWE.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

That's a good point. He really needed a couple more years in developmental if he was to have any chance back then. It seems you can never win with Vince: guys are either not big enough to be main-eventers so they get their legs cut off from under them and are stuck in mid-card hell regardless of how good they are, or they are the huge freaks of nature Vince loves, so they get brought up too soon, fail miserably and are quickly thrown out.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Sorry, double post.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

For some reason I always thought that Dave Meltzer was the higher pitched guy and Alvarez was the deeper voice in that podcast until I saw some youtube video labeled "Bryan Alvarez" and it was the guy with the higher voice.

No idea why I got them mixed up though. Alvarez seems like more of a natural host than Dave I guess.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Alvarez seems like more of a natural host than Dave I guess.

I think he is too. I don't know if you guys have ever listened to his Art Bell style show but it's pretty good, it has nothing to do with wrestling at all but Bryan is still a pretty decent host.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

The Matt Morgan you see now would do fine in WWE. The hard on Vince has for big guys is the reason he didn't get the chance. He was years away from being TV ready when he was brought up. The stuttering gimmick didn't help, but the Matt Morgan who was brought up was like most of the big guys who are brought up. They are not ready for TV. Vince falls in love with their size and assumes they are, then they bomb and he finds a new 7 foot hard on. It is his love of giant sweaty men that means most of them won't have a chance. It is what gets them on TV and gets them sent packing.

If Vince was in a coma for 2 years while Morgan developed then sure he would still be in WWE.

This is true to the extent where I think WWE are going to make him a ridiculous offer once his contract is up. He's too big, talented and charasmatic for WWE to not notice how much he's improved and how much of an asset he would be.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

For some reason I always thought that Dave Meltzer was the higher pitched guy and Alvarez was the deeper voice in that podcast until I saw some youtube video labeled "Bryan Alvarez" and it was the guy with the higher voice.

No idea why I got them mixed up though. Alvarez seems like more of a natural host than Dave I guess.

I haven't listened in a long time (like, a very long time - 10 years or so) but it used to seem like Alvarez was the host, reading listener questions and driving the conversation, while Meltzer answered the questions and dropped knowledge.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I think he is too. I don't know if you guys have ever listened to his Art Bell style show but it's pretty good, it has nothing to do with wrestling at all but Bryan is still a pretty decent host.
Alvarez is a conspiracy nut?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

CSammich posted:

I haven't listened in a long time (like, a very long time - 10 years or so) but it used to seem like Alvarez was the host, reading listener questions and driving the conversation, while Meltzer answered the questions and dropped knowledge.

Yep, this is pretty much how it still goes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
In the Wrestling Observer Live on eyada days Dave was definitely the host and carried the show while Bryan piped in with an amusing comment or question. During the first few months Bryan barely talked at all. Their roles were pretty much the opposite of what they are now.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CSammich posted:

Yeah, that's probably the main reason I got the two mixed up. I figured Meltzer being the man behind all the inside info would be the one driving the conversations and hosting the shows he's on (mainly because of how much people talk about him being the best source for pretty much anything information-wise) and it surprised me when I found out he was the quieter one of the two. I really enjoy their shows, though.

MassRayPer posted:

In the Wrestling Observer Live on eyada days Dave was definitely the host and carried the show while Bryan piped in with an amusing comment or question. During the first few months Bryan barely talked at all. Their roles were pretty much the opposite of what they are now.

I've only heard the free shows from the last year or so. I like Bryan as the host though - he seems to put far more emotion into his commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Dave talks a lot more when they interview someone than he does on show reviews, FWIW.

• Locked thread