Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LordPants posted:

When he watches TNA he takes hope from the angles and goes "okay they could really turn it around and do this..." but with WWE it's always like "Yeah, it's good, but it could be done better this way..." He's kind of easy on TNA because they're retarded, and hard on WWE because they should be doing better. And he's really high on ROH, except he's pessimistic about their chances.

This sounds familiar... :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Honestly, Kings would be treated like the Nexus was. Total unknowns basically.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The thing with the "CM Punk Doghouse" was that at one point it felt like any time he'd lose a match or a feud, someone would call bullshit because they wanted their favourite indie wrestler to win every single match. Plus it seemed to be a favourite report by the wrestling "journalists" to say Punk was doing something wrong. Thus it became a meme here and around the internet to claim that Punk was in the doghouse always.

I wouldn't doubt it that there were a few times that Punk pissed off WWE Creative or people at the top and they decided to change plans with him or just soured on him, but Punk wasn't really persecuted while in the WWE. No, losing to Bob Holly is not persecution.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

It's kind of funny how PSP, and Wrestlehut before it, has evolved. Once upon a time there were a few Observer or F4W subscribers, and people generally mistrusted Dave or thought he was out of touch. Now, like 20 people or more here subscribe, and he's treated as the absolute authority on pretty much anything going on behind the scenes.

Dave Meltzer hasn't been right about anything since he lost his mullet.

That was the only semblance of journalist integrity he had.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Karmine posted:

Honestly sometimes this is true. Agnew is pretty loving stupid and full of himself sometimes.

I stopped listening to Law after "Gentleman" Jeff Marek SOLD OUT to CBC and Hockey Night in Canada.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Borh posted:

One day Meltzer is finally gonna snap and it won't be pretty.

"Dave, where did you get that mullet?"
"It's mine."
"But Dave, you cut yours like... oh god."

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

If Bryan would just stop talking about hypotheticals then there would be no problem. Dave only deals with the cold hard facts.

...sort of. He deals with sources. And if he has one source it's the absolute truth until another wrestler says its bullshit. Then he weighs out which one gave him better pot.

...oh wait, we're talking about Dave Meltzer. For a second I thought we were talking about Wade Keller.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Haven't listened to the Punk interview yet, but what has WWE done to NOT deserve the "Oh they'll just ruin it next week" reaction? Besides this current Punk angle they have a track record of loving up storylines.

Absolutely nothing. But the WWE is a lot like Star Wars. Even though they've hosed up constantly and they really don't enjoy things any more, and quite honestly have grown out of it, when much better sci-fi exists, they are more than willing to pay or pay attention to the next thing Lucas creates with the title on it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
He looked best when he first came to the WWF. Once he went bald he started looking weirder and weirder.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Oatgan posted:

But he's related to Eddie! This means we should care about him.

If I had time to listen to podcasts I'd check it out only because he seemed like he was being very honest on his twitter. But eh, who knows.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think that was the house show that both Flair and Steamboat claim was their best match that no-one saw apart from Dave.

3/18/1989

"Steamboat pinned Flair in 32 minutes of a match which blew the top off the five star scale. This match was significantly better than their Chicago match and deserved something like 5½ to 6 stars as a fair grade. Those in the know were amazed at how good this match was, particularly when they realized they had another match later that night in Philadelphia (which wasn't as good, but was still a fantastic match)"

He also once claimed Jumbo Tsuruta and Genichiro Tenryu vs. Riki Choshu and Yoshiaki Yatsu was worth, "*****, if not maybe more".

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The Shaman of Cum posted:

alvarez said it on a radio show. he's also very prone to hyperbole

Dave was either drunk when he said it or they forced him (and he could have been drunk here too) to watch the blind fold match at Wrestlemania blind folded and he had to rate it on the merits of seeing the match blind folded.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Beeswax posted:

Possibly, yes. Either way the first 25 minutes or so was loving horrendous. Bryan and Dave stumbling over each other and doing the worst sort of pussyfooting around the subject of steroids. Constantly going "but there are guys who..." and then trailing off or waffling back and forth. It's as if the mere word "steroids" could kill them or something.

I don't know if they were having the same problem but I find guys in the business do everything possible to avoid accusing a guy of being on the juice. I never had that problem because if a guy wants to use steroids, in my mind go ahead. It's a travesty these guys can't have doctors watching them and supplying them and have to get it on the streets. Then again, I'm a dirty lefty.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gonzo McFee posted:

It's not the fact that they want to it's the fact that Vince wants them to so they're forced to take them as a matter of course.

True, that was a rampant problem. WWE was one of the top dogs (and is now the only) and if you wanted to work for them, you had to be willing to artificially enhance yourself, man or woman.

I always remember the story of how the WWE had zero interest in Louie Spiccoli until he got on the gas.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
GOLD DUST TRIO

4 LIFE

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rick posted:

I've never heard Bryan say that he's doing it to troll people. He just is doing it because he enjoys it and he says almost once a month "if you don't like it, don't subscribe."

The moment you say this you've lost track of why you do something like a podcast in the first place.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

Because you enjoy it? Hmm, that sounds exactly like what someone who enjoys it would say.

You do a podcast because you want an audience to hear what you have to say. If you just want to say stuff for nobody to hear and criticize/discuss/enjoy, you can just talk to yourself.

The moment you start fighting with your audience and telling them to stop subscribing because they don't like the stupid things you find to be funny, you lost the purpose. You're driving your audience away on purpose. Or, you're purposely annoying them knowing that they won't leave for elements you really don't bring to the table.

"If you don't like it don't listen" is so tortured artist it's a cliché.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
James Storm likes Beer.
Robert Roode likes money.
James Storm and Robert Roode become Beer Money.

Robert Roode taught James Storm that to buy as much beer as he desires, he needs money.
James Storm taught Robert Roode that if you have a beer once in a while, it's easier to relax and focus on being a great wrestler.

Ergo, when James Storm is not with Robert Roode, he still loves money. It buys him beer.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Don't forget Dave with his popular Yahoo! MMA column and wanting to spend more time talking about MMA. The moment he finds the Ric Flair of MMA, he'll be gone from wrestling for good.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Dave does have bias or preference to certain match types or styles, but I don't think there isn't too many serious criticisms on his ratings, aside from six staring a Steamboat/Flair match he saw and his overrating of WWE spot fests/Elimination Chambers/Hell in a Cells. I can't think of too many matches where he gave super high ratings to or super low ratings to that missed the point. Then again, a five star system is terrible and nobody should ever use it.

It's not like Roger Ebert where he's completely missed the mark on several really, really good films (The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, etc.)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Moose Bigelow posted:

You don't "get" Dave.

...until you put a ring on his finger.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
The way people act about Flair is just hilarious to me.

Even as a pre-teen watching WCW you knew that Flair was never going to stop. All the jokes we made about Terry Funk back then we knew we'd make about Ric Flair. I can't believe even in this day and age, people thought Flair would just happily accept retirement after a Wrestlemania send off. How the gently caress does the WWE mean more to Ric Flair than wrestling means to Ric Flair? It would never. No pomp and circumstance would ever stop Flair from wrestling. It's all he knows. It's all he cares about. Call it a disease if you want, but it's what he's got and thinking that the Undertaker doing a little post-show send off will keep Flair from wrestling you're loving stupid.

Ric Flair might be sad, but the way people act about him is worse. At least Flair knows who he is.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Borh posted:

How can people wishing that Flair holds on to what's left of his health (not to mention his dignity) be in any conceivable way sadder than Flair himself being compelled (be it by his financial circumstances, or by his poor decision making, or by his love of the business, or what have you) to go on long after he should have stopped?

Flair should have stopped 15 years ago but he didn't.

Everyone who had any idea of who Flair is knew he wouldn't stop. WWE were so conceited they thought they could stop the guy with a useless ceremony and a match with Shawn Michaels.

Ric Flair has been making poor decisions for pro wrestling for longer than most of us have lived. You don't stop that. You watch it burn out.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

GoutPatrol posted:

There is a big difference between being unable to stop because they need to hear the crowd pop vs. needing to go out because you owe millions of dollars in back taxes and alimony payments. (See also: Hogan, Hulk)

Every report has said that Flair could pay the money back any time he wants to, he'd just have to sell the poo poo he doesn't want to sell. It would also mean a permanent end to Naitchin' it.

Flair can't be that guy. He has to burn out.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Maybe by athletic they mean graceful, smooth, etc?

That's how I interpreted it, which is odd to me. Has anyone ever said Ric Flair is one of the worst athletes in the business? Because he was never really smooth.

I understand the point they were trying to make but I also understand they were using the wrong word simply so they could make a different point. Punk is not naturally athletic. He's much more like the guys who get into wrestling because they love wrestling and understand it before they learn how to execute it instead of someone who is an athlete who gets into wrestling and uses their athleticism to come into the understanding of wrestling.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does that phrase have an origin story? I don't think I've seen it used in relation to anything but wrestling.

According to Urban Dictionary, it's a wrestling term.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=drizzling%20shits

Though like wrestling moves, I bet it has a different origin. Probably a Mexican movie.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LordPants posted:

We should do a Punchsport Hall of Pain.

It'd just be Disco Inferno, The Stro and that guy Mass Ray Per hates from the WCW thread. Van someone.

So you want to do WrestleCrap?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Does Evolve Wrestling even still exist?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

CombineThresher posted:

Wait, what? Why? Blackman is retired and kinda old.

I think the idea was he'd bring in someone really cool if people stopped stealing food from his children.

Unless he really said Steve Blackman.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Yeah he really did say Steve Blackman. Apparently people troll him asking him to bring in Blackman, and Bryan actually read one of those requests on the podcast.

If you're gonna troll, pick a target that Gabe could actually bring in.

Like The Stro.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Waltman was a smart worker who had a pretty decent style and such, but what really was his ceiling that he never achieved?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

flashy_mcflash posted:

With some dedication and let's be honest, HGH, he probably could've been in line for a World Title feud (not a run though) while Michaels and Bret were on top based on workrate alone. If TNA has made hay of Bubba as a singles talent, I don't know why Pac couldn't be one.

I guess I'm looking at it based on the era he was in.

When 1-2-3 Kidd was in the WWF, he stood out as the only real Cruiserweight style wrestler. Once he went to WCW, he once again was allowed to stand out as the only Cruiserweight in the nWo. However, he was easily overshadowed in WCW by better cruiserweights with better offence and character. Waltman couldn't compete with a heel Eddie or Jericho.

Now in the WWF again, X-Pac stayed out of the Light Heavyweight Division and was pushed quite well in the European Title and Tag Title divisions despite being quite limited on the mic and already getting stale. They didn't put him in a Cruiserweight type division until 2001 when the WWF side was lacking in those guys to take on the likes of Billy Kidman. And he flopped bad for being incredibly stale, unlikeable and again, not good on the mic.

Again, I just don't see where his ceiling would have been. An Intercontinental Title contender? ECW World Champion? Either way, Waltman didn't do very much to re-invent himself and even today he sort of relies on who he used to be, it's just he's cleaned up and he doesn't seem so stale anymore because we haven't seen him really "go" in years.

I just don't see where Waltman would have fit in the late 90s, early 2000s main event scene. Sure, better than Bulldog did, but is that an endorsement really?

Gaz-L posted:

It was the same problem as the Hardys, really. He'd show up, put on some good matches, get a decent response, then fall apart, no-show and finally they'd shitcan him, only to bring him back a year later.

Waltman is one of the few guys who actually quit once Vince Russo went back to TNA and for that I always had respect for him.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Could someone quote it?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
His fault for hitting on heels.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Dave being into following the stock market at 8 years old somehow makes perfect sense.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I bought JR's jerky (made for an easy Christmas gift for a few friends to give them some Jim Ross jerky) through the WWE website. I don't recall seeing a single WWE logo on the jerky pack itself.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gaz-L posted:

Is he just sticking to his guns, or does he really not realise how much money he effectively burned on that Georgia Dome match?

Sticking to his guns.

The thing with the Georgia Dome match was that it was on a Nitro that TNT just opened up several new markets. That Nitro was looked at like a PPV on Monday.

Still, YOU DON'T SUDDENLY GIVE AWAY GOLDBERG VS. loving HOGAN.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think Hogan's issue is this: From what I gather, it's very common in the industry for vets to give rookies the advice "watch your back and take care of yourself". When you combine almost unfathomable stardom and a healthy ego with this, you end up creating monsters like Hogan and Warrior, and because both of those guys are people who are limited (which is being kind in Warrior's case) in the ring, they end up becoming very protective of their spots, which is made worse by the fact that they don't have many other things they can do to support their lifestyle.

See, I wonder about that with Hogan. Hogan is a mainstream icon. He can walk onto just about any television show and people will know who he is. That's star power and you can't make that poo poo out of nothing. Hogan should be able to work anywhere and make some cash. With enough projects and endorsements he should be able to keep his lifestyle up.

Instead, he makes too many bad decisions.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Glitterbomber posted:

Seriously this is the only MMA/Prowrasslin board that isn't unreadable.

Especially for MMA. I'm pretty sure Sherdog, in their love of mixed martial arts decided to mix languages to create a hybrid language at which they speak in. Only way to explain their, "I can be pretentious about hugpunch" attitudes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

drat. Thanks for the answer.

It'd be hard to choose between that and a hosed up Jeff Hardy putting his opponent in incredible danger by being in the ring in his condition.

Luckily, Sting is only an idiot in character and made sure there wasn't going to be much of a match.

Honestly, what Jeff Hardy did I've heard of many wrestlers doing. Hawk popping a bunch of pills in front of his mouth and smiling about it before going out to the ring high as a drat kite and nearly falling asleep is just as bad.

The cancer one though... that's a new one! (Probably not)

• Locked thread