Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I remember a while back there was some website that did a radio show after WWE PPVs and it was some of the most hilariously pathetic call ins I've ever heard mixed with a terrible chat that was ungodly entertaining to read.

Does anyone remember what that was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

2 of my favorite rants from Alvarez in the last year:

TNA moves to Mondays: Part 1 - Part 2

VINCE RUSSO: Part 1 - Part 2

Am I the only one who thinks this makes Alvarez looks way worse just by virtue of caring THIS much?

e: nevermind the Russo one just got really good

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

VINCE RUSSO: Part 1 - Part 2

every time he gets to the "He tells his kids to get ready for school and he takes them to the dentist. ITS A SWERVE" part I can't stop laughing uncontrollably.

e: god this has led me to like an hour of youtube'ing and I just wanna find Nancy Grace and rip her head off of her neck. Every time this lady screams about kids buying steroids to emulate their hero Johnny Grunge, I want to punch a wall.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 17, 2011

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

He's probably loving poo poo up to test how the people who take over for him can rebuild it when he walks away.

He's loving crazy.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gonna burn through all the Formerly Creative podcasts today. You've all convinced me.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The best thing I've learned from Formerly Creative is that Vince's favorite movie is Wild Hogs.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sue Denim posted:

I was most surprised to hear how manhy of the 'Hollywood' writers were wrestling fans anyway and how many who weren't reportedly were so willing and interested in adapting to the wrestling world.

I've really enjoyed these pod casts and it's made me really appreciate just how hard the writers work and it's given me a lot of respect for the writers who managed to stick around for any length of time. I'm amazed that anyone is able to work under those conditions with the minimal amount of perks they get out of their job, at least wrestlers get recognition and fans and the thrill of performing as intensive, where as the writers don't seem to get anything like that.

It's really sad hearing about how little of a life they are able to have outside of their jobs, I hope that financially they're compensated adequately.

They seem like really cool guys mostly and I think Lagana is doing a really good job of his aim to humanise them and give fans an idea of the process they go through with the company and make them think twice about where they direct their criticism.

I can't help but feel bad for them, especially with how passionate the one's Lagana has interviewed seemed about their jobs when a lot of their hard work seems to amount to very little or nothing in the actual product by the time it goes through all of their superiors.

It's mainly just proved to me that who they hire or retain as writers means next to nothing because all those people do is carry out other people's ridiculously lovely decisions.

I thought it was sad when they talked about Big Dick Johnson going on vacation by himself because he didn't have any non-WWE friends.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

Should we start predicting where tonight's Alvarez rant will fall in the F4W 2011 Top #50?

#1 barring some kind of act of god

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I'm thinking about subscribing to WO. Are the newsletters in PDF format that I could read on my iPad at the gym?

I'm trying to debate on whether or not I want to do it and the podcasts seem worth it but I think being able to read the newsletter on my iPad would push me over the hump.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Thanks guys. Is the WO newsletter in a downloadable format?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I don't think so, but I know there are PDFs that get circulated on various pirate sites. If you really want them you could subscribe to the site and download them from there I guess. Just don't do the latter without the former

Alternatively you could just copy and paste into a txt

Thanks!

I have the Instapaper app for the iPad and iPhone so I can just pull the text into a word document to read when I don't have internet access.

I appreciate the help from everybody.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Took the WO plunge today. Thanks to everyone for the advice. Have to drive to Iowa and back for work this weekend with some coworkers so I figured I'd need some podcasts to keep me company.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Karmine posted:

Yeah when Bryan mentioned that Triple H was interrupted by Undertaker's dong, I laughed so hard I almost swerved off the road.

I heard this 10 minutes after subscribing and said "yep, this was the right decision"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Karmine posted:

Hahaha it was a free show.

touche.

but they're not all free. and this just reinforced my decision.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

CVagts posted:

Wait, so Meltzer's FOR the idea of removing the word 'wrestling' from the product?

He's not FOR the change so much as he's AGAINST the bitching about such a stupid loving thing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Lagana put up the Formerly Creative podcasts for post-WM with a few ex-writers and the one with just Lagana and Big Dick Johnson.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Karmine posted:

Holy poo poo I'm listening to Dave freak out about the girl from Tough Enough who said that Melina vs. Alicia Fox was her favorite match and it's pretty funny.

Bryan has some great freakouts during today's Bryan and Vinny show. I think it's free as well if any non-subscribers here care.

Bryan's FFW about his weekend in Atlanta has been posted as well.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

listened to Karl Stern for the first time today.

that's about all I can say about that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Akileese posted:

This was a great observer when he was talking about Chael Sonnen and making him jump through hoops. Then Bryan insinuated he have some sort of physical challenge for him. The Dave Taylor part was definitely the highlight though.

hahaha "maybe give him a ribbon and the hoop and have him do a little routine for us."

e: listening to the post-Victory Road WOR and absolutely dying over Alvarez's comment on the Generation Me promo where Jeremy talks about his being birthday.

Dave: "I wonder if it's really his birthday. Let me check. If it was WWE it'd really be his birthday."
Bryan: "It's probably the other brother's actual birthday. IT'S A SWERVE!"

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 7, 2011

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Highly recommend the Sean Waltman Figure Four Daily interview. It's about 80 minutes long, but worth the listen.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Board sucks, but if you have a desk job that allows you to listen to the radio or something, he subscription is worth it for the podcasts alone.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Jackula, Hillbilly Jim-Red Rooster discussion was loving HILARIOUS.

A MAN'S GIMMICK IS A CHICKEN.

A CHICKEN!

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 20, 2011

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

12,000 word review of UFC Undisputed 2010 still makes me laugh.

hahaha is this a real thing?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

the Granny bit a couple weeks ago about the PX3 and the XBOX36 was loving hilarious

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sue Denim posted:

Maybe it's because I've only been listening for a couple of months but I adore Granny.

why does this not surprise me?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

cannot recommend the Lagana interview with MVP enough. Holy poo poo that's some good stuff.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

And also played a drop which was a modified version of NWA's gently caress da Police featuring that very same word.

there's quite a difference there

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Endorph posted:

Also, "Fallen Angel" is only moderately stupid, while "Angelic Diablo" is :catstare:

I hate Matt Hardy, but Fallen Angel sounds more like something a sad fat girl would call herself than Angelic Diablo

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Low Ki sounds like Tay Zonday

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

poo poo like the Brock talk just convince me further that Dave has Aspergers

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Big Bob Pataki posted:

That's what finally convinced you?

To be fair, I've only been a subscriber for 3 months

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

It's kind of funny how PSP, and Wrestlehut before it, has evolved. Once upon a time there were a few Observer or F4W subscribers, and people generally mistrusted Dave or thought he was out of touch. Now, like 20 people or more here subscribe, and he's treated as the absolute authority on pretty much anything going on behind the scenes.

I couldnt give a poo poo about how right he is. I just love the podcasts.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

maniacripper posted:

I think he has a point. When you do PEDs in pro wrestling you aren't actually influencing anything, maybe you get a push because Vince pops a boner but in the UFC you're actively trying to hurt the other guy and PEDs put your opponent in more danger.

most of the fighters getting popped for PEDs are doing it for quicker recovery, not to be some giant guy who hulk smashes opponents like Overeem.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

maniacripper posted:

I don't think it changes anything. In actual sports PEDs create a lot of problems with competition and forcing those who don't use them to a huge disadvantage.

I don't disagree. There are certainly disadvantages. My point was that those disadvantages come more in the form of recovery and not so much in putting on muscle to enable yourself to further hurt someone.

My comment was in reference to the "put your opponent in more danger" stuff because that effect is often exaggerated as a lot of these guys aren't doing it for benefits that would ultimately put someone in more danger.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

So I had to cancel my WO subscription from June-October for various money-tightening reasons, but I signed up again yesterday and noticed a series of History of Wrestling podcasts from Karl Stern.

Anyone else listen to these and if so, are they worth going back and listening to?

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gabe is pretentious as gently caress and this is not a new thing.

Also, if you are hedging your child's future on an indie wrestling organization, you are a lovely parent.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

They're both crucial to why I subscribe. I prefer Dave's newsletter but I absolutely love the Bryan and Vinny podcasts.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LordPants posted:

Or Dallas.

Dallas Sucks

I hope someone else gets this reference

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Someone please link me to the Bull Nakano tribute because holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross