Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bankok posted:

I listen to about half the stuff on F4W/Observer, the Lance Storm every other week is usually good. The Jericho interview a week or so ago was great also.

One of my favorite things is reading the old Observer archives they release. He just released the ones around the time of the Sid/Arn scissors incident. My only complaint with the Observers is the paragraphs are like 2 pages long, for the love of god Meltzer, hit your enter key once and a while, would make reading it much much easier.

I really enjoy the Steve Sims (lucha expert) shows as well, which is kind of surprising given how I've barely ever watched any lucha. I think part of it is that both Steve and Lance have settled into a rapport with Bryan, so they can goof around and joke about some of the sillier stuff but still get back on track and discuss serious parts in depth. The Cornette shows with Bryan and Dave are always great, and I really liked the Foley interview they did a few months ago. Mick was surprisingly open about TNA, agreeing with everyone who thought the finish to that one Flair match was retarded.

The Karl Stern shows on the F4W/Observer site are also interesting sometimes. He focuses mostly on history (although he did do dramatic readings of the WWE Heroes comics, also) but it's easy to get burned out if you listen to too many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, well Alvarez and Meltzer will have a Hart on their show on Wednesday! :smug:

It's Bruce. :shobon:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd assume he spent the previous few hours at the vet hospital or whatever, and happened to get back a few minutes after Raw started.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Karmine posted:

Yeah that tangent was weird and ridiculous. I can't tell if Dave doesn't know how to talk like he's joking or he just wasn't even joking.

He's very deadpan, but I do think he was genuinely surprised that Bryan's afraid of water.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Capsaicin posted:

What's everybody's favorite Bryan and Vinny moments? Those shows are basically some of the funniest things I can remember in the wrestling business that doesn't involve PWG or CHIKARA.

My personal favorite is probably Bryan's rant about baseball or Bryan getting pissy cause someone called him out on his pronunciation of the word "roof".

Small moments tend to get me. Like one of the times they decided to play some of the games on the kids part of WWE.com instead of ranting at TNA and Bryan was reading the titles...

"JEFF HARDY IN SPACE?!" (Had me howling for a good 3 minutes)

And recently, during a Granny segment where someone asked about how Bryan met his wife, and they agreed it was private.

Vinny: "That's between Bryan, his bride and her mail-order service..."

That one's more because of how much Vinny cracks up at his own joke and how caught off-guard Bryan is, though.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 11, 2011

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

Something that you pick up on after awhile is that although Dave talks to everyone, Bryan has more close friends among wrestlers. This came out in the Benoit aftermath when Dave revealed to the surprise of nobody that Benoit was a source for 20 years, but it was Bryan that was actually personally close to Benoit. Probably a worker vs. reporter thing.

Very true, I get the feeling that while Bryan doesn't have the same rep as Dave in the industry, when he starts talking to people, they get to see him as 'one of the boys' so it's not nearly such a purely professional journalist/source relationship.

And with Lance specifically, I'd say it's the same as how you end up friends with any co-worker. You start talking while you work, then you're emailing or chatting via Skype or something, and boom, you're pals. It's pretty telling that Bryan's one of the few people Lance has done an actual match with since he opened his school.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Cubsfan is on this week's Dr. Lucha Figure 4 Daily which is a nice surprise. I know lucha takes the winter off and all, but it is March and the only lucha news this year has been WWE signing Mistico. Not a good sign.

Well, there's the stuff with Dorian Roldan trying to get CMLL to see that the Mexican promotions need to work together to fight WWE, but it's depressing that that's probably a non-story.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LordPants posted:

Formerly creative annoys me because they're too close to the source to really get into it. Dave's like: So it's pretty hosed up working there... let's start talking about how much we hated it. Oh hey, you worked with Heyman with the Smackdown Six? That would have been cool I guess but let's talk about the time we went to Italy...

Well, it's not so much that to me, it's this weird diplomatic approach they take. Like, the couple I listened to never even really acknowledged how hosed up the environment is, it was all "No disrespect, they're the kings, it's not fair to say anything bad about the set-up...". Which, fine, don't burn your bridges, but A) most of these guys DO get into that stuff with Alvarez and B) most of them are adamant they're not going back, so why bother?

Seriously, listen to Formerly Creative with Goldstein and then listen to F4D with Court Bauer. It's like they're talking about two different things. Larry Mollin had it dead on. WWE is like a cult. They want you broken, beaten down and indoctrinated so the company is all you think about.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Frilled Lizard posted:

I am sooo close to buying a subscription. The free shows have been spectacular. I loved the argument about whether Kane playing the trumpet trombone on free TV was stupid because now if he does it on the PPV it won't be as exciting. "THEY ALREADY GOT IT FOR FREE!!!" Big laffs.

"...
...Maybe he'll play it for longer?"

I love Dave sometimes.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Edit: Beated.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I loving died listening to the B&V show today when they argued about whether "dick justice" was a good cause (I stand for dick justice!) or a threat (you've got some dick justice coming)

Best part? I haven't listened yet and I'm almost positive I can guess who took what side. (Bryan was 'threat', right?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

The Observer newsletter, i.e. the source for about ninety percent of legitimate news and business analysis. Also the semi-redundant Figure Four newsletter. And there's a lot of audio content.
The overhaul to mostly feature articles in F4W has helped eliminate some of that because Bryan rarely writes about the same lead as Dave in a given week, and they've gotten pretty interesting. I'd have agreed with you mostly until that change, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Bob Pataki posted:

I love how much Vinny absolutely despises the opening Morrison and Truth promo

"I hope Truth gets drafted to CZW!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's just one of those things...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

And again, thanks.

E: Holy poo poo these things are like 3 hours long.

Bryan and Vince REALLY hate Impact.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That run about the low blow in the girls' match is pretty uncomfortable, because it makes Bryan sound dumber than usual. It's a 35 year old man using school playground logic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

The kind of guy who if you were to turn your back on, you might wind up in a body bag.

It does look like they were going for Diesel and HBK. Vinny was marginally successful, Bryan... was not.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Space Cob posted:

I'll do my best to summarize. Others, correct me if I gently caress something up. It sounds way better the way he explains it.

- At MITB, Punk beats Cena though a heelish tactic. No huge screwjob, but he cheated.

- Vince comes out and demands the Raw MITB winner (probably Del Rio) come out and take the title from Punk. Del Rio wins the belt and becomes McMahon's new big guy.

- Vince, with his new champion/title-savior, fires Cena anyway because he failed and Vince is evil like that ("you failed me you son of a bitch i don't need you")

- Cena defends himself against Vince being a dick. He says he thinks Punk should have got his shot and he gave everything he had. If it wasn't good enough for Vince, Vince can gently caress off.

- Very soon after, McMahon gets a phone call from the Rock where Rock is pissed Vince ruined his Wrestlemania match. Rock wants Cena and no one else. Rock shows up the next week and demands Cena be brought back, otherwise he is out of Mania.

- Vince is forced to bring Cena back. Cena cuts promo thanking the Rock and says his goal is to get the belt back before Mania.

- Cena feuds with Del Rio but keeps failing to get the title back. He keeps getting screwed.

- Royal Rumble rolls around. At some point, the belt is held up for some reason. It is decided that the Royal Rumble winner doesn't get the Mania shot, but the TITLE, like that one Flair Rumble.

- Vince draws the numbers. Screws Cena by making him Number 1. Cena fights the whole Rumble. Number 30 is PUNK, who eliminates him.

- Punk's challenger is determined by the Elim. Chamber. Cena goes on to fight Rock without the title.

It's a great angle, but I did like the amendment of having ADR pull out of the MITB and have the winner of that match LOSE to Punk at the end of the show to pop the Chicago crowd and get everyone on the edge of their seat, then Vince uses ADR's win this week to send him out for Punk's third match of the night and win the title that way. Granted, that's more effective if Punk's coming back as a babyface.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SGRaaize posted:

Bryan's idea of having CM Punk appearing but the camera not focusing on it is a lovely idea, it really is.
Literally everyone says it sucks and he's defending it all the way through, like a true American Badass

The best part is it's a complete Russo idea, and he's so passionate about it being great. Vinny's exhausted "...no, dude, it's dumb" reaction was great, though. Doubly so because I can remember Bryan ranting about how you HAVE to make things obvious for the retards in the audience and now he's claiming Vinny's being too cynical.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

It's literally exactly the same thing they did with Matt Hardy and it went over like loving gangbusters until they gave him a microphone. Vinny's wrong.

Except you got to see Matt. Bryan's saying you literally never show Punk. The announcers didn't acknowledge it, sure, but Matt even grabbed the house mic during that angle. It didn't die until they 'officially' brought him back with Vince.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SGRaaize posted:

I was laughing so loving hard at the idea, I almost died, the way both Bryan and Vinny played it off as a semi-serious suggestion only made it 200% funnier.

"YOU WON'T GET 20 BODYSLAMS OUT OF ME"

It's goofy, but it's literally better than a gimmick WWE are running RIGHT NOW. Give Johnny Curtis the bodyslam streak and I guarantee he's more over than he is with the stupid figure of speech bit. At least Ryder or Santino ranting about not letting him get the next milestone is something that can plausibly lead to a match.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SGRaaize posted:

Come on now, I don't think Bryan Alvarez was that serious when suggesting it, he was being cheeky and facetious.

The gimmick would work with someone like Santino, maybe a Santino/Zack Ryder figure that also happens to be strong (Bring back Festus?).

But this gimmick wouldn't put Johnny Curtis over, come on now. Not saying its not a entertaining idea, its just not a gimmick to give to someone you want to put over anytime soon.

I'm not saying it's a ticket to the Wrestlemania main event, I'm saying it's better than what they actually have Curtis doing. That goofy tongue-in-cheek idea is better than something WWE are really doing with new talent. That's my point.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tarasenko Tank posted:

He was on the LAW at 12, what time does he do the Observer at?

It varies, but it's usually some iteration of stupid o'clock. Like 3 AM or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Steve Sims certainly isn't the most charismatic fella, but I do enjoy getting his take on the current state of lucha. And like you, I don't follow lucha at all beyond the show.

I think it works because Steve's so low-key and normal. He's talking about all this crazy poo poo that goes on in Mexico, and he just sounds like a guy you could be sitting in a bar or restaurant with, chatting.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They're both Vinny, I believe, and the first is from a truly hilarious review of a lucha match, where apparently one of the tecnicos would make the "BEEEEE!" noise in response to anything. He got chopped, "BEEEE!", he hit an armdrag, "BEEEE!".

The latter is... Vinny's interpretation of Mr Kennedy/Anderson selling a shot to his hand, I believe?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

Waltman was in TNA at a few points. It never worked out.

It was the same problem as the Hardys, really. He'd show up, put on some good matches, get a decent response, then fall apart, no-show and finally they'd shitcan him, only to bring him back a year later.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
He is from, like, SoCal, y'know?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

The way their audio system is set up, guest callers can't hear any drops that Bryan is playing in studio.

I think they solved this the last time Bryan had Vinny on via phone when he and his wife went on vacation?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

triplexpac posted:

B&V is the only place you'll hear the board mentioned regularly. It's not like Dave goes off on rants about the board or anything, although I would love to hear that just once.

He'll do it in passing. He mentioned the whole furore about him talking about the Rock's physique when it came up in the post-SS show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

LordPants posted:

Yeah it seems really sinister how they gave him the title just to get him out of Mania. It really ties into what Meltzer said about why they give out titles based on "why they shouldn't" and Bryan getting the title just shows that they don't think there are any serious reasons why he shouldn't be champion, not that they think he's valuable.

See: Swagger, Jack. & Mizanin, Michael.

The other issue is that they haven't quite gotten to the Russo stage of 'belts are just props'. They do seem to think giving a guy the title automatically makes him matter, but they've hosed with the belts so much that that isn't the case anymore. (Not that it was ever a concrete rule anyway, Rons Garvin and Simmons, anyone?)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Borh posted:

Karl Stern was spot on: Vinny has great comedic timing, he just lets Bryan boss him around too much to display it. As he was going through this absolutely ridiculous list of things that bar of whatever the gently caress it was didn't contain, while being drunk as hell, he still managed to subtly interject "no joy". That made me crack up.

I was disappointed that a lot of people (Brent especially) didn't answer the phone, but I guess that's what they get for doing the show at 2 pm.

Tell me we at least get drunken bothering of Lance Storm. The first time they put him on the list was gold, with Vinny's drunken rant on his voicemail and then stumbling apology when he called back.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

There is a big difference between realizing it, and not doing it again. I have no hope of the second.

Oh, steps 1 and 2 are happening again. He'll probably avoid the rest now.

I did love Vinny's gleeful retort on the corresponding B&V show. "I feel better than when we started!" :haw:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I really enjoyed his book, "Dirtsheets! :argh:"

Is he just sticking to his guns, or does he really not realise how much money he effectively burned on that Georgia Dome match?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I don't think the math works out to quite the 9, because there was a LOT of switching back and forth, but I'd guess a 7 or 8, easily.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
When you're right 53% of the time, you're wrong 47% of the time!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

Funkasaurus is certainly a better character quirk than Zack Ryder not being able to pick up girls or change a loving tire.

Clay's probably best off following Mark Henry's example and just go with it as far as he can. Half-assing it or bitching is just going to backfire, so he may as well be the best Funkasaurus he can be. Who knows, maybe he's the next Rikishi?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I usually re-up for a year around this time, so even when I go through spells of not listening for a few weeks, I still usually feel like I've gotten my money's worth in December.

Besides, there's something so infectious about things like Bryan and Vinny's glee about heel Daniel Bryan.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Clearly Dave talks to the refs, brother. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How did I never realise that all the ITapBoys plugs on F4W are because it's Bryan's wife's site? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Karmine posted:

Those aren't bones those are muscles. Sometimes women have them.

Don't be gross, those are clearly her abdominal bones.

• Locked thread