Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Pro Wrestling Report (PWR) - http://www.pwrshow.com/
I'm suprised they haven't been mentioned yet, seeing how its a radio show on ESPN 10 years old and counting.

The do basic news, and get some really good guests, since I've been listening this past year they've had Al Snow, Jim Cornette, Iron Sheik, Kevin Nash, Ken Kennedy, Shane Helms, The Pope and some others I'm forgetting. David Hero, a co-host of the show seemingly has a close relationship with a lot of wrestlers.

The only thing negative I can say is that the quality of some of the episodes drops off once in a while for whatever reason, but the podcast is solid and the hosts have good chemistry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Sue Denim posted:

Wow, listening to Observer Radio really makes PWR sound like an amateur effort. Damien Nelson and David Hero are two of the least engaging/entertaining broadcasters around.

Both their content and delivery are mediocre, I should really get out of the habit of listening.

I think it's just Hero's self absorbed and obnoxiousness that really makes me want to stop listening, although he certainly excels at having the radio look.

It's also really uncomfortably whenever they get a collective nerd boner over Linda.

I wasn't a huge fan of 'Meathead' when he was non the show but he was really important for balancing out the show because he was the only host who didn't sound like a total wrestling shut in.

Yeah once I started listening to Wrestling Observer I stopped listening to PWR. I would say WO is NPR while PWR is more like typical local morning radio.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

LordPants posted:

"WHO THE gently caress IS THAT BALD GUY AND THAT OTHER DUDE?" and he's right, the outsider angle only works when the guys are over with your audience, like Hall and Nash. And WWE aren't going to let the Kings go through the division like Brock did, because they don't book like that.

With good commentators and solid booking they would get the Kings of Wrestling over. The problem is that they won't allow Punk and the Kings of Wrestling any heat and promptly bury them within 2 weeks while Michael Cole berries them on the mic.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Gatts posted:

Lagana's podcast was majority circlejerking each other. WTF?

In his interviews he's always been like this, "Well when I was in WWE it was like..." or "let me tell you about this time I was right and what they did was stupid". I always thought everyone was okay with it.

I give Lagana a pass this week because he's pretty loving amped about getting a little buzz from the biggest wrestling payperview of the last 5 years. That one guy who kept saying "yeah man I'm not just blowing smoke up your rear end I like watching raw because of your live tweets" was kind of annoying, but that's not the fault of Dave Lagana.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
You have to explain it in terms Wrestlehut understands.

Dave Meltzer: Gorilla Monsoon :: Bryan Alvarez: Bobby Heenan

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
If he's the guy that went on the 5 minute, "you talking about a presser...?" rant then he owns.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

MassRayPer posted:

I don't understand how Lance can rip UFC so much for Chael Sonnen who sat out an entire year due to PEDs and still watch WWE (and think about giving Impact another try) when one hands out 30 day suspensions for first failures and the other does absolutely nothing.

I think he has a point. When you do PEDs in pro wrestling you aren't actually influencing anything, maybe you get a push because Vince pops a boner but in the UFC you're actively trying to hurt the other guy and PEDs put your opponent in more danger.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

sportsgenius86 posted:

most of the fighters getting popped for PEDs are doing it for quicker recovery, not to be some giant guy who hulk smashes opponents like Overeem.

I don't think it changes anything. In actual sports PEDs create a lot of problems with competition and forcing those who don't use them to a huge disadvantage.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Moose Bigelow posted:

Except for most of the guys who did PEDs in the Mitchell Report weren't very good.

What?

This Mitchell Report? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_players_named_in_the_Mitchell_Report

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
When Bryan does the Bingo Granny bit he mentions a new New Age Outlaws shoot. Does anyone know where to get it? The RF Video and Highspots versions are both pre-2007

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
They both make some decent points but Todd was arguing how it is and Bryan was arguing how it should be.

Todd is more concerned with having money matches with guys being fed to big names to build a money fight, while Bryan was basically saying that every fight should be of equal importance to both men (it should). Bryan just doesn't know how to articulate his position very well and I'm not sure he was even listening to what Todd was saying once Todd mentioned :sports:.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 18, 2011

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Yeah, the Briscoes are hilarious. I can't tell where their gimmick ends and their real life begins, truly masters of their craft.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Sometimes Granny is alright, sometimes she sucks, but when she's being a loving bitch it's the greatest entertainment in the world.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Listening to the January 21 Wrestling Observer I noticed Dave going on and on and on about Japanese wrestling history and I let out a meak, "holy poo poo". I've heard him do it before but I don't know what made this instance stand out but, holy poo poo.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Dave has the worst analogies. That's why goons identify with him so strongly.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Grantonio posted:

Listening to the MVP AoW right now. The dude is really smart, and honestly should have been a bigger deal. I certainly never would have thought that Mark Henry would be the one from that tag team to reinvent himself and be a World Champion.

edit: and MVP watches Cowboy Bebop. This goon just fell in love. :goonsay:

When he did the show with Lagana I was floored with how knowledgeable he was of the entire history of the business. I wonder if a even a quarter of the roster can talk wrestling history like he can, he truly loves the sport.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

triplexpac posted:

That podcast with Dave & Lance "debating" the Nick Diaz controversy and drugs in UFC sure was a waste of time haha. I did love Bryan explaining how cops would learn how to combat people who were on drugs, and Dave interjecting that that is most likely people on PCP, not weed.

Akileese posted:

I figured as much. Thanks for confirming my fears so I don't have to listen to it.

That show was goddamn awful. I understand being anti-drug. But claiming Nick Diaz could smoke weed and become this super fighter who is impervious to pain was frustrating to listening to. Same with Alvarez, if you've never done weed then don't make up all this bullshit about how it affects you.

And yeah, all you need to know is Bryan Alvarez recalled a self defense teacher telling them that if an attacker is high most of the techniques wouldn't work and he thought that meant someone on pot and you have an understanding of the conversation. It's that loving bad, these two guys (Bryan and Lance) came across as two dense individuals.

I understand and agree with Lance's point that there are rules, and rules were broken so punishment is deserved. But the arguments they made against pot were increasingly disingenuous and even retarded.

For the record I don't think pot should be on the banned substance list.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Cardboard Box posted:

I like how the earliest pages of this thread has everybody talking about how much they love Alvarez and now everybody hates him.

When someone is in self defense class and the instructor says, "Keep in mind a lot of these techniques will not work if the attacker is high" and he thinks the guy is talking about pot you are about as dense as it gets. I still listen to his shows and I don't think everything he says is bullshit but as soon as he says, "It's like..." I just shut my brain off for the next 30 seconds because his analogies are always wrong.

And I know Dave stepped in to correct him about the guy meaning PCP or Meth but he should have slammed him for being such a nitwit.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Cardboard Box posted:

...the McMahon storyline being the dominant angle forever, the botched Invasion storyline that should've been huge...

These two right here are what killed it for me. Turning the invasions into a McMahon dispute is the worst atrocity ever created.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Todd Martin makes some decent points it's just that he's arguing against Bryan Alvarez the most obtuse human being on the planet.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

He really has. I find that my favourite shows are when he steps back a bit and acts as a host with Dave or Lance answering questions and providing analysis. It's a great dynamic when it works

But this also leads to more of his worst antics, mainly, someone else (Todd, Dave, Lance) making a good point, then Bryan will detour the conversation about how he has this brilliant idea/analysis which is just a rephrasing of what the other person just said. That has to drive those guys nuts.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
His point was that steroids in MMA is way, way, way more harmful than steroids in pro wrestling.

And he's correct.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

MassRayPer posted:

No he's not. Guys have to cycle off steroids in MMA while in wrestling they can do them year round and are much more likely to destroy their bodies because of it.

You don't think that using steroids in MMA is far more dangerous than what one guy chooses to do to his body?

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 28, 2012

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

sportsgenius86 posted:

That video game one wasn't that bad. Todd shut up for most of it.

No it wasn't. The guy they interviewed just read the press release crap and didn't really sound that interested in wrestling.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
God the Network numbers at the beginning of the April 8th Observer show went on way too long, okay we get it, you have opinions, it's not too good, not too bad, they wont get 6 million, just move on.

Second on the Stone Cold Podcast, how come my pod catcher misses some episodes? I see episode 88 available on the website but it's not on my feed, is that just to drive website traffic?

Then there's episodes that are just gone from the website and the podcatcher, what gives?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Skunkrocker posted:

If any one listened to our podcast (I'm sure you didn't) you would know it's the Vertical Spinning Neckbreaker Suplex aka the Salmonplex. :v: I dunno what the real name is, but that poo poo was hilariously bad.

In actuality I'd probably say my honest favorite finisher is the Codebreaker.

The codebreaker isn't even the best finisher that Jericho has used :colbert:

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Yeah I remember at the time that Backlash actually felt like Wrestlemania, whereas Wrestlemania 2000 felt like just a regular PPV (the all day Wrestlemania countdown show was great though). The tag ladder match was awesome but outside of that there was a lot of poo poo. Backlash had the awesome main event with the Stone Cold mega pop.

I went and searched for the mega-pop from backlash and noticed something. This is an official WWE video and there's a shitload of chair shots: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYF6r22UjKU

What's off is that everyone who takes an unprotected chair shot to the dome gets it edited to look like a video burp happens at the moment of impact, while those who take it on the back (Triple H) or get their hands up (Patterson) they show contact.

Is this a new thing or has it been mentioned by Meltzer or anyone else? If so is it common on the network as well? I don't think it's a coincidence that the video wonks out at those exact moments only.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Holy poo poo this thread blooooooooows.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

A lot of JR's bitterness is just being a WWE office guy for a decade. Around Wrestlemania he was on twitter talking about ungrateful wrestlers who should be happy with their payoffs.

Meanwhile every other wrestler who's been in the WWE knows that the system for payouts is a low-ball and you have to go demand more.

JR is the battered spouse of WWE.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Is the Steve Austin podcast with Vince from December 9th the same interview he did a few weeks ago on the network?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

oatgan posted:

the problem is that the crowd will go bonkers for bryan and not reigns and will probably boo the situation just like they did with The Rock. They don't want someone to endorse Roman Reigns, they just don't want Roman Reigns at all.

Yeah... that's the point. If they continue to boo Reigns then he turns on Bryan (and fans) and goes with Heyman. Now Roman has a someone to do his interviews, and Daniel Bryan is back chasing the title. People could buy Roman being a strong sellout heel champion with Heyman pulling the strings.

It's a win/win

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 30, 2015

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
That makes me so irrationally angry and I have no idea why or how to stop. gently caress Dusty Rhodes forever, that's a straight up bitch move. That fat loving gently caress. gently caress DUSTY RHODES!

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
This man sold more emotion in that promo than I've seen on Raw by anyone not named Heyman.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

triplexpac posted:

Holy crap Karl making everyone so uncomfortable every week by talking about money is so funny

I thought last week with Conway would be the peak but this week kills it

Edit: This might be the drunkest I've ever heard Karl on the show

He's doing it to be funny, which it is because everyone gets so squirmy about it. The truth is though is that a lot of wrestlers (hell most workers) would benefit from their salaries being open to everyone, masking employee pay only works in the employers favor.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
No breaking news audio for AJ retiring? Maybe their waiting for updates to see if there's any legs to her trying MMA.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Chris James 2 posted:

He did just sell a hip toss from her at this past Mania like death, to be fair

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Danny LaFever posted:

Why was Trips a terminator that also killed and beheaded Terminators?

Maybe the movie coming out explains that better. He should have came out with the head's of all Stings friends.

The biggest what the gently caress moment is that Triple H did it at all, he's the loving heel. It didn't throw it in anyones face to build heat like Rusev's, it was just meant to make people go "GOD drat TRIPLE H IS A BADASS MOTHERFUCKER!" and then he goes and beats Sting and makes him shake his hand after clobbering him with a sludgehammer. Jesus Christ what a self mark.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

RBX posted:

Y'all do understand WWE and NBC paid for him to do that to help promote the movie right? They said it days before the show even. There's gonna be more of that too.

The heel shouldn't be trying to pop the crowd, gently caress Triple Huh

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

ICHIBAHN posted:

Vince is. loving. how on earth does he make money?! (I know, I know, luck & infrastructure)

The single most important thing that Vince did in his life is signing Hulk Hogan away from AWA.

That single act made most of his early "risks" pay off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Whoolighams posted:

Speaking of in-ring psychology, I've recently started listening to Austin and Jericho's podcasts so I've been picking through old episodes and I loved the TiJ with the Genius discussing Macho. I didn't know what to expect but man, I could listen to that guy talk for hours. Side note: I've found that the only way to listen to Jericho's show is to fast forward until I hear the other guy talking.

Since I've just begun on both of them, what are some can't-miss episodes from their backlog?

Austin does a walkthrough of his Brett Hart match that's synced up on dailymotion or other places, its amazing.

• Locked thread