Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I've been enjoying Lagana's Formerly Creative podcasts. It's interesting to hear how the WWE operates creatively, just how much of a bubble they exist in over there, and just how much high-school bullshit goes on. Pro wrestling really is a world of it's own. Crazy stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The more I listen to Formerly Creative the more it makes me wonder why the top two or three people in WWE are wanting to sabotage their own business.

I don't think it's so much that they want to sabotage it. Some guys, like Dunn and Ace, just seem to do whatever slimy poo poo it takes to hold their top spot. Guys like Hayes seem to be utterly entrenched in the old ways, regardless of if they work any more or not.

Vince seems clueless because he's surrounded by 'yes men' and Steph seems to think that dad's way is the right way.

It really is a mess.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Christ, I can't take the LAW Review-A-Raws any more. Between their constant negativity, or them going off on tangents about the littlest poo poo that has nothing to do with anything...ugh. It's like they're riffing the shows instead of reviewing/analyzing them. I feel like I'm just listening to smarks being snarky as opposed to educated fans intelligently discussing the product.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Is there an RSS feed for the free Observer shows that I could plug into my podcatcher app thing?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Austin has another podcast up where he talks with motherfucking Chael Sonnen. Haven't finished it yet but so far it's good. When Chael isn't "in character" he's one of the most interesting guys to listen to.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Do Dave and Bryan do weekly Raw reviews for subscribers? I'm dropping the LAW. Wai Ting has always annoyed me with his humorless dick schtick, but today he spent like ten minutes arguing that Austin Aries was totally okay to wave his dick in front of Christy Hemme's face and he just got madder and madder that this action was not interpreted as "being a heel", as opposed to "harassment".

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Hey, woah, IIRC Daniel Bryan actually wore the World Title and it owned.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Okay so I just subscribed to the Observer without reading poo poo so this is my own fault, but apparently you can't subscribe to the paid shows unless you use iTunes? I don't use iTunes or iOS. Anyone know how to subscribe to the shows on an Android phone, specifically with PocketCasts?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Andy Dufresne posted:

Just fyi, this has nothing to do with iOS or iTunes, you just need a podcast app capable of prompting you for the login/password. Most RSS feeds don't require authentication so a lot of podcast apps will skip that feature.

Yeah, I figured this out last night. I found a workaround for now but PocketCasts claims they're going to be adding support for logins soon.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Honestly Dave and Bryan's lack of knowledge about anything outside the wrestling bubble - including technology - is half their charm.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

triplexpac posted:

Dave I can excuse, because the guy seems to watch every single wrestling / MMA show there is even if he doesn't talk about it.

I have no idea what Bryan does with his time besides watching a few shows here and there, chasing cats and doing BJJ.

He also chases Bigfoot and Art Bell.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Daniel Bryan posted:

JR's podcast with Sting is out. But of course, the first 10 minutes I've been listening to is "blah blah blah podcastone keep this podcast free click button and buy poo poo sonic peach tea route 44 and now dumb wrestling fans don't know anything blablablabla"

OH GOD JR JUST SHUT UP I'M FAST FORWARDING

JUMPIN JESUS THIS NEVER ENDS

Timestamp: 33:00

All the PodcastOne shows follow the same formula. Roughly 20 minutes of intro/opening monologue/ads, then the interview, an ad break, and then the outro. Sometimes if it's a 2 part interview the second part will have a shorter opening but generally I just jump to 17 minutes in and scrub forward until the interview starts.

I never, ever listen to Jericho and Ross' openings and only sometimes listen to Austin's if it sounds like he's got something specific to talk about.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Hogan probably isn't doing anyone else's podcasts because he's busy trying to get his own Hulkamaniac Prime Time Podcast or something.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

rovert posted:

Bray Wyatt calls into Jericho's latest podcast around the 8min 30secs mark. Cringey beyond words.

Oh god does he call in in-character? Because that's got to be awful.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
John Pollock is like the only tolerable guy on the LAW shows. Agnew is a known rear end in a top hat, their intern/phone guy comes off like a huge creeper, and Wai Ting is a black hole of charisma.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
The rest of the LAW crew seems to think that Wai is far more funny/interesting than he really is. I still listen to the occasional LAW podcast if the subject matter is interesting but the moment that Pollock makes some joke, and Wai replies with a loud smack of his lips and "Yeah, sure," and silence, I delete the podcast and move on.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Why does Bret care whether or not anyone sees the Magee match?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

coconono posted:

If you wanna listen to some old farts mumble about the current state of the business

No sir, I don't like it.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Skunkrocker posted:

Honestly I thought about that.

Also check swappa.com.

Podcast talk: Is there a goon-approved podcast that does regular post-RAW reviews that ISN'T Wrestling Observer or the LAW?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Most of the time the 20 minute mark or thereabouts is where you want to jump in Jericho's podcasts if you want to avoid Fozzy/Egypt/unfunny bullshit. The exception is when it's the 2nd part of a interview; he usually gets right into things when that's the case.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

oatgan posted:

free eddie edwards

They can keep Davey though

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
I enjoy Talkin' Shop but Gallows is getting to be a little too much lately. And I say that as someone who usually likes his schtick.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Don't get me wrong, it's not like I want them to get rid of LG or anything, it's just that I wish he'd shut up sometimes when someone is trying to give a serious answer about something and then he just starts yelling about nothing.

When he does his Fink impression and starts cursing everyone out in it, it is loving hilarious.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

coconono posted:

Having just started watching Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, I'm confused by how its not referenced more in wrestling. Its the kind of babyface/heel saga that bookers would go nuts over.

I'd pay Real Cash Money for a program on the Network that was just Dusty, Nash, and Sullivan sitting around watching anime for booking ideas.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

ch3cooh posted:

First caller to WOL observes that he thinks UFC pairs white fighter with non-white fighters to increase interest in the fight

He also theorized that the UFC scripts Jon Jones to act the way he does and then told the judges to score the fight for Jones. He was a special kind of stupid.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

sportsgenius86 posted:

I literally laughed out loud when he said Cormier clearly won the fight because of how Jon Jones handles himself.

Jon Jones
Loss 20–2 Daniel Cormier DQ (crotch chop uncalled for) UFC 182 January 3, 2015 5 5:00

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Bhester posted:

Imagine Dave when he gets frustrated with Bryan, then multiply that by 100 and you'd have him at the end of an hour with Gallows.

EDIT - this is me agreeing that it would be amazing

While Wai Ting smacks his lips a lot and goes, "Sure."

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Jerusalem posted:

Dave's deadpan,"Okay :geno:" to Mike explaining the WWE Immortals storyline of Sting being in cryogenic storage since WCW ended was pretty great too.

That's not a storyline, that's what really happened. God bless HHH for thawing him out.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

OctoberCountry posted:

Bryan's reaction to the reason they distorted Sting's voice was priceless.

Was it actually Sting's voice? Because John Pollock would not loving let go of the idea that it was Dolph Ziggler's voice. It started to get pretty :spergin:

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Buffer used to do a podcast for Sherdog and it was pretty good, but I'm not sure if this is the same podcast or a restart or whatever. The guy is pretty interesting; he lives kind of a James Bond lifestyle, just roaming around seducing women and gambling a lot. Also he really really loves his cats.

EDIT: Oh yeah I see DeSantis is still his co-host so I guess he's just started doing the same podcast again.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
The divas can get over when they get the time and consistent logical booking but the WWE is bad about only giving stuff two weeks to get over before they give up on it, and two weeks of good diva booking isn't going to undo a decade of conditioning the audience that divas = piss break.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

oatgan posted:

what are some of his points

Basically that people doing the usual pro-wrestling chants/cat calls at the HoF are out of line and need to shut up and that the "I paid for my ticket so I can do whatever I want" doesn't apply there. He compares it to going to a Broadway show and doing "WHAT" chants at the actors and expecting to not get thrown out.

I thought he was pretty on-point re: acting like a goddamn adult at the HoF, though he diverges into a thing about the WWE HoF being as legit as any other HoF and that's when his logic gets a little shaky.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

dsriggs posted:

That's the problem. They shouldn't really be surprised that an audience at an induction ceremony for a worked hall of fame chants & makes noise. Maybe if they treated the Hall of Fame itself a little more seriously than "We need another event to sell tickets to on Wrestlemania weekend", fans might be more likely to be respectful.

While I don't think the WWE HoF has much legitimacy about it, you really can't say that the WWE doesn't treat it seriously when they make a huge production out of it with top-names in the business past-and-present coming out in tuxes and what not to present and accept awards. Put the WWE HoF ceremony in a small venue without the wrasslin' fans and it's a classy affair, regardless of whether or not the inductees make any sense.

On that note, I haven't seen the 2015 ceremony yet but if people really were giving Connor's dad poo poo: gently caress those guys. There's no defense for that.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Great White Hope posted:

I am stunned that people who insult women for having sex with their spouse would give a man poo poo for having a son with cancer.

Completely stunned.

Certainly you aren't implying that wrestling fans are anything less than classy, respectful adults

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

triplexpac posted:

I kinda hate Talkin' Shop since the movie came out. I don't know what changed, but the show just annoys me now. Am I the only one?

Nah, same here. The novelty has worn off for me. It still has it's moments but it's far from a 'must listen' show now.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

flashy_mcflash posted:

You can take your chances on Review-A-Wai but it's extremely hit-or-miss.

Avoid Wai Ting like the loving plague.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

oatgan posted:

pearl jam owns, nerd, and i'm tired of this subforum slagging on them and zwan

I'm on team Oats from now on

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Ribsauce posted:

Speaking of this, is there a breakdown of what is untrue in Hogan's autobiography? I know a lot of it is bullshit, but I'd like a specific breakdown.

Or maybe just a breakdown of what is actually true, that would probably be a shorter read to be honest.

Literally none of it is true, in fact his real name isn't even Hulk Hogan!

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
The first time I ever heard Todd Martin was on some Sherdog show and he was easily the dumbest man in the room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

ZoDiAC_ posted:

Has anyone asked Bryan if he believes that bigfoots have ghosts once they die and they can haunt space Ships

Don't be ridiculous.

Bigfoots can't die.

• Locked thread