Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

M1TCH3LL posted:

I guess the new Bret Hart show, Hitman and Groberman, counts as a wrestling podcast. It's pretty good, production levels aside. Bret speaks about old wrestling stories and answers calls about some of the new guys in the business and it's pretty fun to hear. Plus, they prank Ric Flair and Flair goes crazy and cuts an insane promo down the phone when Bret passes Groberman a note to ask Flair if he ever blew Bruiser Brody.

http://bretandjosh.com/
The name of the podcast makes them sound like a bad morning zoo team, but other than that this sounds like it could be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Oasx posted:

I tried Art of Wrestling but didnt really care for it.
I feel the same way, something about Colt Cabana just rubs me the wrong way and I can't make it through an episode.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Grant DaNasty posted:

I like Colt Cabana and his comedy matches, but he comes across as a guy that is trying too hard to be funny.
I agree about the trying too hard, I enjoy his comedy wrestling and characters, just not the man himself. He also comes off as thinking he's so much funnier than he actually is. He reminds me of a young Will Smith in these ways.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I found a good site for listening to wrestling radio shows live. http://tunein.com/radio/Wrestling-g326/
Right now I'm listening to the LAW radio show that the podcast comes from, they gave tonight's PPV a good rating. Meltzer liked it too.

savinhill fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 2, 2011

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The May 10th Review a Raw from the LAW site has a great interview with an independent wrestler(Dustin Star, I think) who was in FCW for awhile. He talks about a lot of the same issues that are discussed in these forums about WWE's developmental system. The interview's is in the last fifty or so minutes of the show.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Grant DaNasty posted:

Get Captain Charisma to do a weekly short segment on why WWE sucks. Also when discussing the divas, do it in the creepiest way possible.
Or have CC and Jefforsonlives debate different PSP'ers each week. The meltdowns would be great.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I live in Mass and I never heard anyone use "jackaninny". I thought it was some type of insult someone like Steven Regal would use.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

You could say he put a gun against his head, pulled his trigger, now he's dead.

Hey Yo! Hey Yo! Hey Yo! Hey Yo! Oh Disco Fever, Disco Fever, you can't join NWO

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

They are very negative when the product is bad, but the show this week was very positive since they were coming off a great UFC and a good Survivor Series. What you need to remember is that Lovranski's default setting is 'hate' and he'll usually recant it right away when he's rebuffed.

Wai Ting is great though, and is always a voice of reason.
I always thought the Agnew guy was more negative and annoying, he has a fit just over wrong answers to wrestling trivia questions.

I agree about Wai Ting though.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Are the songs on Bryan and Vinny supposed to be legitimately funny or are they fast-forward material for anyone else other than me? I have not heard a single one that could even be described as humorous.
I'm not a subscriber, but I think most of the songs are based on inside jokes and references that are hard to get if you don't know the context.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

2) Fighters have been claiming a "tainted supplement" caused their test failures since as long as people in combat sports have failed drug tests. The thing the public doesn't really understand is that a lot of fighters - some people say more than half the people in UFC - are taking something, be it HGH or steroids, or both. I don't claim to know who really is and isn't but the point is it's well known when you need to cycle off steroids to beat a test, depending on the type of steroid you're using, so generally you only fail if you don't cycle properly. It's basically an IQ test, since nearly all fighters don't get tested until the day of the fight.

In the end, is it possible a fighter or two failed for a tainted supplement? Yes, it's possible. But it isn't really probable that all the fighters who have claimed a tainted supplement have, as there is a very real issue with a ton of fighters using steroids. It's far more reasonable to assume almost everyone who fails just didn't cycle off properly.

The last thing to consider about Cris Cyborg is the old saying: if it looks like a duck....
Not just fighters in MMA, but athletes in every sport usually use the tainted supplement or the "my trainer gave it to me and I didn't know it was banned" excuse when they fail a test.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

That's a good analogy, but I've heard Cole do really well when he doesn't have Vince or Kevin Dunn screaming in his ear, whereas all I have for Don West is his endless goddamn shouting about whatever the gently caress. He and Tenay were awful and incapable of shutting up.
Tenay's bad for the same reason Cole is bad, being overly scripted and put into roles he doesn't belong in. He was fine back in WCW when he was in the right role and wasn't given lines written by someone else.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

This week's episode of Review-A-Wai is really good and you should listen to it. The insight from former writer Alex Greenfield about Rey's title reign, Lashley's rise, and the Orton/Rey angle about Eddie being in hell is really enlightening (or at least it was to me).

http://fightnetwork.com/news/wrestling/review-wai-wwe-06-w-alex-greenfield/
I listened to this earlier today and it really is a good interview. It also reinforced for me just how bad of a job Dave Lagana did when he would interview these same guys on his own podcast.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The LAW really needs to scrap Title Bout Trivia and come up with a better contest segment. Jason Agnew no longer puts any effort into coming up with interesting questions and treats the segment like time-killing filler, which makes it all the more annoying when he throws his hissy fits over wrong answers.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The interview on today's Review-A-Wai was awesome, the writer they interviewed had some good Vince McMahon stories. The interview starts about 30 minutes into the podcast.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

Wow, I always thought Agnew was a douche but I had no idea it was at that level. I enjoy Review a (Raw, Wai and Impact) more than I like the LAW itself. This has convinced me to stop listening to that show.

Agnew's completely terrible. He's got all the worst nerdy, rear end in a top hat-smark personality traits. The Law would be so much better off without him.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

The Goog posted:

We all think it was a lot of fun, and we'd like to do it again, so if any of you guys have topics that you'd like to see us cover, let us know!

Robbie E's tan and your favorite Raw social media ambassador so far.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

Pretty good MLW podcast this week - Court buries Dave Lagana for being a creepy rear end in a top hat and praises Mean Gene Okerlund for being awesome, and Konnan talks about how his stint in the Navy snapped him out of being a Republican, and how Silver King and some of the other luchadors are chubby chasers.

Here's a link to the non-itunes download page for it:http://mlwradio.libsyn.com/rss I haven't listened to it yet but it sounds like it will be good.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
This weeks MLW podcast is pretty good. MVP has some interesting things to say in his interview. Konnan's great at getting dudes to open up and dish some dirt.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

amplifierWORSHIP posted:

the best recent podcast is the MLW one where Konnan calls out Colt Cabana for not wanting to admit that he diddled Isis The Amazon and her bean + possible stalk.

Konnan just hosed with Cabana for that whole episode and it was great.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Konnan is such a joy to listen to. I wish he'd be on the show just a little bit more regularly... like a monthly rundown of whatever-the-gently caress is on Konnan's mind show.

I don't really want to listen to him every week or anything, I just love his interactions with Bryan and Dave.

He loves Dave and is always so goddamn happy to be on his show. He really tries to be on his A Game whenever he gets to do an episode.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Jeff Jarrett.

Not even kidding. Goofy, mid card, always looses Jeff Jarrett would be amazing to see in the WWE.

I agree, he'd be awesome for their midcard but it sucks that he's one of the few people that Vince would never bring back.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
He's also responsible for one of my favorite youtube wrestling videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddJFLgY8UgY

MassRafTer posted:

I always remember Herb as the guy who booked lovely wrestling and had the Davey Meltzer jobber. That way when I am reminded he died that way it's much funnier.

Have Bruno and Dave ever talked about Davey Meltzer?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

oldskool posted:

Are the VIP Cornette podcasts worth the $15 if I don't plan on listening to any Konnan stuff?

You don't like the Konnan podcasts?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Konnan was ranking on Colt Cabana again on the latest MLW Radio, I love when he does that.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

epitasis posted:

Disco Inferno is on the newest MLW and basically I think he may be responsible for all the SWERVES we attribute to Russo.

I'm gonna listen to this in a few minutes. MLW was hilarious the last time Konnan was loving with Disco, this should be good.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

CombineThresher posted:

The past two MLW episodes with just Konnan and MSL have been way better than the standard, which is making me wonder if I've hated Court Bauer all this time and never realized it.

ninja edit: I still don't care for Alice and why Jim Cornette insists on keeping her around when she doesn't even talk for most of the show is beyond me.

There's just something about him, in the way he talks or his voice, that makes him seem sorta douchey to me too. I used to have an irrational hatred of the dude too, and it still surfaces every once in awhile when hearing him speak, but it doesn't really detract from the podcast for me. Konnan and MSL do make a great duo though, I love when Konnan ranks on MSL and no-sells his bad jokes.

Do you subscribe to their pay casts? Are they worth paying for or is the weekly MSL Radio the best podcast they have?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

yea ok posted:

I wonder why

Jealousy

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

canada jezus posted:

Whether cm punk would ever return to wwe. Tbh Bryan really was super annoying, it wasn't playing devil's advocate it was being intentionally dense.

I hated when he'd do this just to get in a pedantic debate, he'd catch Dave in them sometimes too.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
The Iron Shiek and Sid Vicious stories Konnan told on MLW this week were pretty funny.

HulkaMatt posted:

Even if you think she was effective in the last several years I don't see how you can make any case for her in a top 50 all time. There are way way way too many people not on this list that are leagues better than her.

I look at her like Eric Bischoff, they're both capable of being the overbearing, douchey authority figure and doing entertaining stuff with it, but I would never think of them as deserving to be on a top overall promo list.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Lita just does it for him.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I still like the Law, its just on a lovely night in Sunday, and if there's not a PPV that night then there's not really anything they can cover that I already haven't heard about on a different show. I mostly just listen to the beginning, fast forward to the Meltzer part and listen to the interviews if its with someone I care about.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

Agreeing that Jericho's wacky humor is terrible, but I enjoy his interviews.

I with Colt Cabana would interview more people I care about, as I've just started listening to Art of Wrestling too.

Other than those two, JRs podcast and Austin's two podcasts, are there any other good ones that don't cost money? I tried listening to the Attitude Era podcast but I'm not into poo poo where random people with no qualifications of any kind to separate them from every other one of us marks/smarks talk about things like they have some kind of authority over it.

MLW Radio with Konnan is my favorite. It's funny, free, and doesn't have tons of long, annoying plugs.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I've always hated Cabana, I don't know if Wrestlehut turning on him is a good thing or bad thing

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Thauros posted:

Podcasters:

Do you think Dave Meltzer overrates NJPW and their top stars?

We've been discussing this in the NJPW thread and I think it could be a good topic for a podcast debate.

I totally agree with him about AJ Styles and how dumb WWE was not to sign him.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Tokyo Slutty Gal posted:

he should not make knee-jerk assertions about a tournament being 'obviously the greatest ever, nothing else is even close'

Even if it is knee-jerk I don't see any harm in him giving such high praise to a current wrestling show. In fact its a good thing that he does and might drive some people to wanna watch the company in this day and age when viable jobs for the wrestlers at successful companies become less and less. As far as him considering it with careful deliberation in some kind of historical context against past tournaments, I'm sure he'll do that in one of his many year end podcasts or when someone asks him in an email.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Dunbar posted:

They've mostly been posted in the G-1 thread. Nothing has gotten the full monty. ****3/4 has gone to Suzuki/Styles, Tanahashi/Ishii, Shibata/Honma and maybe something I'm forgetting. There have been a whole mess of ****1/2 matches.

These stars should have asterisks next to them to denote they're from a tournament Dave considers the best of all time

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Ribsauce posted:

This is what I should have said. It is more accurate than saying she is annoying. I am sure she is a fine young lady but the way the show is when she is on is very annoying. First of all, she could be the hottest girl in the entire world and naked in the studio, but it is a radio show so who cares what she looks like. Not me. And the constant sucking up to her is horrible. Just talk about Summerslam.

Does she at least have some good stories about having Mick Foley as a dad?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Rick posted:

The only wrestling podcast that's good other than most of the F4W stuff is the Powerbombcast.

What's it like? Do they do, or talk about, anything different than the many other ones out there? Or do you just like the hosts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
So does Punk actually dish real dirt, name names and talk poo poo about WWE, or does he just hint at some stuff?

• Locked thread