Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As fun as Alvarez is to listen to most of the time it's exactly the opposite for Meltzer. He's a horrible speaker. He runs off on some of the stupidest tangents. He can't string more than three words together without a 'ya know' or an 'umm' or an awkwardly long pause. Half the time Bryan tries to coax some coherent conversation from him he respond 'Ehhhh, I dunno' after a long pause and then proceeds to stumble over his words while trying to tell us why he doesn't know. And he's absolutely clueless about the simplest poo poo half the time. At least his newsletters are full of good info, that is if you can get over his very awkward writing style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

If you can't get enough Bryan Alvarez, he also does Bryan Alvarez After Dark, a show in the vein of Coast to Coast AM. He's done paranormal Alabama, transhumanism, and in week 3 he interviewed me and I debunked a bunch of Conspiracy Theroies.

https://www.bryanalvarez.com

I've been wanting to listen to those but just haven't jumped in yet. Knowing you're on one means I'm downloading it now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

Before he started the show I asked him if he'd be interested in using some of my friend's music as the theme and that it's too bad my specialty is debunking conspiracies or it'd be fun to do the show. (Since to me it is far less interesting to hear how things are wrong.) He said that actually he'd love to do that kind of a show and asked when I'd like to do it.

I have a MA in Political Science so I sound sort of impressive as a guest too. (Not really.)

I love hearing conspiracy theories being thoroughly debunked by intelligent people. So this is definitely something I'm interested in. Thanks for the heads up, about to listen to it now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ChampRamp posted:

On Lagana's new podcast he interview Robert Flores, Sportscenter anchor. I was BLOWN AWAY by the poo poo he knew. The dude is a real wrestling fan.

He's the guy who says Batista Bomb whenever Jose Bautista hits a home run, btw.

Dude drops wrestling references all the time on ESPN. I knew he was a big fan. Definitely going to have to listen to that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

After listening to Bryan and Vinny's show last night I think I may need to find a way to watch last night's Impact show. Holy poo poo it sounds hilarious.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Akileese posted:

On the last Bryan and Vinnie show they were talking about some god awful mid-atlantic championship wrestling show. It sounded both hilarious and racially offensive.

That show alone is worth the Observer subscription.

I've have that Mid Atlantic show they were talking about, it was on 24/7. It's really really bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

Screenshots of the daisy dukes?

Or maybe it is better if you don't.

Jesus that match was everything they said it was and more. The best bad match I've seen in a long drat time, it was hilarious. Gonna have to Youtube it for people to see.

Seriously everything on this show is awful but hilarious. Except the Brisco and Muraco match which featured nothing but armbars and hammerlocks.

Here's the Porkchop Cash match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9ol8qLGaNQ

"OH JESUS CHRIST!!!"

And bonus Kelly Kiniski Promo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UlsXhxl8gM

X-O fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Mar 4, 2011

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

jeffersonlives posted:

Yeah, they actually got pretty lucky it wasn't super-duper obvious.

I always wondered if The Rock's win in 2000 was supposed to lead into that angle with Big Show on purpose or if it was done because Rock's feet obviously hit the ground first. When Big Show got the video of the other angle there was no question at all that Rocks's feet hit first.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

The Adrenaline Flush series that's someone's put up on THE BOARD is a compilation of every B&V rundown of impact in any given month. The July 2009 always gets me in stitches. I wish I could post it here simply because it's the best thing to demonstrate how funny B&V are.

I hate to bring this back up after so much time, but I have a question that the search function on The Board is not helping with. Was Volume 47 the last one done of these? I don't venture onto the The Board too much, just listen to the shows and read the newsletters, and I can't find anything past Volume 47 and that was so long ago it makes me thing these comps aren't being made anymore.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

He probably had a real loser on to debunk conspiracies.

Yeah. That guy really sucked.

You were actually pretty drat good I thought.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Any time they make fun of stupid TNA stipulation matches. Every time Bryan rants about King of the Mountain is amazing.

Also whenever they review older shows from 24/7.

Basically most B&V shows actually. That show alone is worth the F4WOnline subscription.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Captain Charisma posted:

The one where they talked about the reverse battle royal was amazing.

The Fight for the Right Tournament? My God that is still one of the biggest clusterfucks I've ever seen.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Captain Charisma posted:

What's funny is that one of the local Washington indies that Bryan wrestled at did a reverse battle royal a few months before

Did it lead directly to a normal battle royal that lead into a tournament that lead into a triple threat? And did the final winner of all of that lose the very next week clean to a debuting star on free TV for no reason?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

Fight for the Right was a reverse battle royal that led to a normal battle royal that ended in a singles match that set up the bracketing for a tournament in which the winner got a bye to the finals and the semi final was a three way.

Which is actually more complicated than what I remembered. No wonder I forgot all of the details. I just know that after Abyss won and was the new number one contender he lost clean before the PPV to Kurt Angle in Angle's debut which was stupid.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's no way that's real.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I didn't see the show, but from Dave's write up it sounds like the whole thing was poo poo besides AJ and Hardy. I can't believe the ended a PPV with a double countount and the Hardy/Sting debacle. Bryan and Vinny's review should be glorious.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Karmine posted:

Rumor has it that Hardy was in "no condition to perform" so that would explain the brevity of the main event.

No it wouldn't. It would explain replacing him somehow, especially if you do a non-finish in the match before that for the number one contender spot. Nothing explains that main event.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

New Observer Radio just hit. Gotta love the description:

quote:

Wrestling Observer Radio with Dave Meltzer and Bryan Alvarez returns tonight to talk one goddamn horrendous pay-per-view -- literally one of the worst TNA PPVs of all time. If you're one of those TNA fans who writes angry letters about my TNA reviews and are hoping that Dave will defend this show, well, might want to skip out on this one. On the Victory Road scale, this would be the best podcast in the history of the Earth. Check it out~!

This is gonna be good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've got to see this Women's match. Holy poo poo it sounds like the biggest clusterfuck ending ever.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

jeffersonlives posted:

Alvarez has a great Victory Road meltdown in this week's newsletter, actually far better than the one on the radio show.

I hope he and Vinny review it on the next B&V show. That's where I really expect him to go off.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

He basically just said that the matches are two guys or two groups of guys doing random moves for no rhyme or reason for 10 minutes until one guy is pinned. It was very matter of fact and it made me laugh since it was exactly how I felt.

I loved that because it's how I felt the one or two times I saw a DGUSA event. I understand that people like that stuff but I just can't get into it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

Does anyone here listen to the Todd Martin shows? I cannot stand his voice and he has the worst opinions on everything. He also gets things blatantly wrong, especially about MMA. I cannot understand why Bryan has him on every loving week.

I avoid those because I hate his articles and reviews so much. Looks like I made a good decision.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I was big into ROH at one point because of guys like Danielson and Joe and Punk and of course the match quality. But after a while you just get burnt out. After so many good matches they just all seem to blur together. There was a time that most matches on an ROH card were probably good at worst and great at best. And while that sounds great I eventually got so apathetic about what most people would call great matches that I just couldn't watch anymore.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ChampRamp posted:

Discussion on who will raise Stephanie's kids if HHH dies on Observer radio. Amazing.

Not quite as good as Dave talking about how he used to love 90210.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I finally broke down and watched 3 straight weeks of Impact in hopes that it would be entertaining in a train wreck kind of way because of how hilarious I find Bryan and Vinny's reviews. And it wasn't. So last week was the end of my trial with that. And luckily so because drat does it sound like last night's show had some horrible poo poo on it. I think I can live with just hearing their reviews instead of actually watching it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

The Mania Week creative Figure 4 Dailies are so much better than Formerly Creative. Bryan is a far superior interviewer. This isn't to say Formerly Creative is bad, the Mania Week shows are just far more entertaining.

Adding Bryan makes everything more entertaining. Though I'm not a fan of the Formerly Creative shows anyway. I listened to two of them and stopped. Just didn't enjoy them. Lagana's Press the Press shows are pretty good though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

Where did you think Dynamite Kid got the nickname from?

I don't think that's correct.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

I'm 99% sure Deadpool assumed the identity of Dave Meltzer and has absorbed his joke killing powers.

Thanks for noticing :)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

CVagts posted:

Wait, so Meltzer's FOR the idea of removing the word 'wrestling' from the product?

His position is that changing the name doesn't matter one way or the other and won't affect the company positively or negatively.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I've been a member of the site for a few years now and rarely visit The Board. Even then I only look at threads that look as though they may have useful news. To this day I've still never made a single post there. Every once in a while a non news thread will catch my eye, like the MS Paint one, but often I just stick to the newsletters and podcasts. There's more than enough there for me to get my $10 worth.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Apr 17, 2011

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Haller posted:

I'm gonna try out Observer for a month and see if I like it enough to keep the subscription. Sounds like a promising amount of content from what was described.

Once you do immediately get the Waltman interview from this week. As stated before it's a fantastic interview. The interviews are always great. My favorites include Austin's last year and one with Bruno Sammartino a couple years back (early 2009ish) that I thought was amazing. I've actually listened that one a few times. Bruno's done a couple in the last couple years and they're always long and awesome.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tarasenko Tank posted:

Has Wrestling Observer posted it's review of Lockdown yet? And if so, did Meltzer like it?

Alvarez and Meltzer like the Angle/Jarrett and Lethal Lockdown matches and that's it. I can't explain how either of them liked Angle/Jarrett as it was pretty terrible in my view.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Tonight's show. My favorite part.

Bryan: This Angelina, Winter, and Velvet storyline is the worst storyline in wrestling in maybe the entire decade.
Vinny: The might be worse than Edge and Kane feud...
Bryan: OH BGJIDGNBY! BY FAR! BY. FAR.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I am soooo happy that Bryan and Vinny reviewed Tuesday Night Titans this week. I watched it a few days ago and the match with the blue box was hilarious.

X-O fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 27, 2011

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Euthyphro posted:

Has anyone seen the Tom Magee vs Bret Hart match that Colt mentions on the WO podcast today? I want to see it so badly - sounds amazing.

I remember reading about that guy in Bret's book I think. From what I remember he was really lovely. I haven't heard the podcast yet though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dave Meltzer just said that Jeff Hardy has 'a lot more' charisma than Christian.

:psyduck:

Are you loving kidding me?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Like I said earlier, I don't care for the The Board that much, but this thread sure is something: http://theboard.f4wonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=124350

I've seen that deadseadrop guy post some stupid stuff before so this is pretty hilarious to me.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Goddamn B&V tore that Impact episode apart. With good reason, it was a bad one. At least there was no Anderson though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

HulkaMatt posted:

:laugh:

Yeah, that was pretty amazing. The amount of vitriol spewed in that review of a 'decent*' episode of Impact is pretty telling on how lovely TNA is.

*I disagree that it was decent. Just because it wasn't drizzling that doesn't mean it still wasn't poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This thread suddenly took a strange turn. Were there subliminal messages in the audio? That's the only reason I can fathom someone would actually want to listen to anything involving ICP.

• Locked thread