Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

MassRayPer posted:

Dave was really vicious towards the AWA in its last half decade.

Ahahaha jesus christ that's great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

The Adrenaline Flush series that's someone's put up on THE BOARD is a compilation of every B&V rundown of impact in any given month. The July 2009 always gets me in stitches. I wish I could post it here simply because it's the best thing to demonstrate how funny B&V are.

Do you have a link to the thread on THE BOARD? It shouldn't count as piracy since no-one can view it without an active subscription

EDIT: found it

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Alvarez seems like more of a natural host than Dave I guess.

I think he is too. I don't know if you guys have ever listened to his Art Bell style show but it's pretty good, it has nothing to do with wrestling at all but Bryan is still a pretty decent host.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Korak posted:

Alvarez is a conspiracy nut?

No not at all, he (like me) just loves all that wacky poo poo. He is generally skeptical but like Bell he doesn't judge anyone on the show, he just lets them say their thing and asks follow-up questions. It's pretty good fun and well worth checking out. All the shows are free on http://www.bryanalvarez.com/

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Which show was Orlando Jordan's Time Machine on?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

MassRayPer posted:

Last I checked it is not in the actual archive and you need to go to one of the stickied threads on the board. I believe it is September 18th 2005.

Ah yeah, found it, thanks

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I'm working my way through the F4W Best of 2009. I just listened to the entire "How do you pronounce 'roof'?" saga and I loving died

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Grant DaNasty posted:

Are you referring to "My boyfriend's back and you're gonna be in trouble! Hey now! Hey now! Chris Benoit killed his family."?

What's great about that drop is that it got played at least twice before Bryan finally deleted it.

Yes, that was in the "Best of 2009" comp too. loving ace

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
http://theboard.f4wonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=88440&hilit=best+2009

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Cactus Jack posted:

Angry Alvarez is the Best Alvarez.

I was about to post Bryan ranting about "Wild and Young" but F4W made youtube take it down :(

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
WOR today was fantastic. I was listening to it while walking home, and I kept having to restrain myself from laughing out loud.

The entire bit where they're discussing how the Karen/Jeff/Kurt deal could continue with Kurt kidnapping all the kids while Karen and Jeff are loving, and then challenging Jeff to a match in Antarctica to win them back had me in tears

EDIT: also Dave having to explain to Bryan that you can't just lock kids in a room while you're having sex because "kids aren't like cats" was one of the finest moments in WOR history

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 14, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I'm listening to it again, it's honestly great from start to finish. Dave googling Max Buck's birthday to make sure it wasn't a swerve, Dave explaining to Bryan that grabbing a length of rope lying backstage to force a rope break in a falls count anywhere match was "ridiculous" in a totally deadpan way, just fantastic

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm thinking about subscribing to WO. Are the newsletters in PDF format that I could read on my iPad at the gym?

I'm trying to debate on whether or not I want to do it and the podcasts seem worth it but I think being able to read the newsletter on my iPad would push me over the hump.

I know that F4W comes in pdf, I'm not sure about the Observer

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

sportsgenius86 posted:

Thanks guys. Is the WO newsletter in a downloadable format?

I don't think so, but I know there are PDFs that get circulated on various pirate sites. If you really want them you could subscribe to the site and download them from there I guess. Just don't do the latter without the former

Alternatively you could just copy and paste into a txt

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Karmine posted:

Am I the only one who wishes Bryan Alvarez would shut the gently caress up about his stupid cats?

I like the cat stories :3:

but I do get why people would dislike cat stories and Granny

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

triplexpac posted:

Luckily all the cat & granny stuff is on the B&V show, so people can avoid it if they want to.

Exactly. The Bryan and Vinny show is always the one that's less serious and way more frivolous than the others. Granny, cats, songs, and all the other goofiness is part of the charm

EDIT: and besides, if Bryan never talked about his cats, the line "you can't just lock kids in a room Bryan, they aren't cats" would have been nowhere near as funny :colbert:

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 16, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Karmine posted:

The songs are loving awesome, and Granny is all right, but for gently caress's sake I wanna hear them talk about wrestling! It's especially annoying when Bryan talks about his cats for 20 minutes and then yells at Vinny for taking too long to recap a PPV.

Yeah, but to be fair today was the first time he'd talked about his cats in a long time. Plus they'd recapped the PPV on WOR already

Capsaicin posted:

R-E-A-R

R-E-A-R

rearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearearear.

That's my new favorite song.

I preferred "you say 'Dan Gable', I say 'Kurt Angle'". I had to stop myself laughing on the bus

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I know I should expect this, but my jaw dropped when I heard this story on WOR today. Dave said that TV Week ran a story headlined "Drew Carey elected to pro wrestling hall of fame". Someone from WWE called them, got really pissed off, and demanded that they change the headline because WWE is not a wrestling company, it's a "multimedia conglomerate", it's not a pro wrestling hall of fame, they don't employ wrestlers they employ Superstars and Divas etc etc

Says a lot about the current product if it's being run by people who hate wrestling.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Borh posted:

Listening to B&V now and somehow Bryan managed to get himself trolled by "Wild and Young" yet again. I'm now eagerly awaiting dreading the return of the "Chris Benoit killed his family" song before the show is through.

How? How does he not remember that "Old Man River" leads into "Wild & young"?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Oh god, Dave is such a huge 90210 fan it's hilarious.

He spent the first few minutes of today's WOR just no-selling every question Bryan asked and pumping him for information about the 90210 interview

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Neodoomium posted:

Every single podcast makes the same error:

Santino's visual is not a Trumpet. Santino is pretending to move a slide, thus he is pretending to play a Trombone.

He got it right last night, someone clued him in

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Sue Denim posted:

Holy poo poo, I marked the gently caress out hearing the Bryan and Vinny show from the 6th open with Robert Johnston's 'Cross Road Blues'.

Who's the roots fan, does anyone know?

I love the rootsy music the show often opens with because I'm a big fan of it.

Roots music :allears:

Bryan loves roots and blues and country and all that stuff

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I loving died listening to the B&V show today when they argued about whether "dick justice" was a good cause (I stand for dick justice!) or a threat (you've got some dick justice coming)

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 8, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Gaz-L posted:

Best part? I haven't listened yet and I'm almost positive I can guess who took what side. (Bryan was 'threat', right?)

yep

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
How? How has Bryan not figured out that "Old Man River" segues into "Wild and Young" yet?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

LordPants posted:

Intro of the year is the most recent Bryan and Vinny show. I have never laughed so hard in my life. Ever.

I knew Bryan's love of old Americana would come back to bite him one day

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Capsaicin posted:

I cackled.

Granny's segment was also amazing today. MY HAND FELL ASLEEP!

I loved that they unwittingly re-enacted the "Beads" "Bees?" "BEADS!" bit from Arrested Development

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Haller posted:

Just starting out listening to a few of these. So far I've been liking Art of Wrestling and Kickout, but I'm on the fence about paying the money for Wrestling Observer. I listened to their recent free stuff and it was good, but 11 dollars a month for a podcast site seems a bit steep. Is there anything else to that website besides the podcasts/archives and the forum? And how's the forum community there?

Well, you get the Observer newsletter a couple of times a week, which is by far the most in-depth newsletter about the wrestling business. If you're interested in insider info and decent analysis of the business of wrestling and MMA it really can't be beaten. I've subscribed for years and I've never regretted it.

The forum community is pretty poo poo to be honest.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

HulkaMatt posted:

I like THE BOARD. It's pretty much unmoderated and has a lot of cool dudes (and some real gimmicks). It's also where I get all of my Japanese Pro Wrestling links.

I dunno man, i tried really hard to get the board, but after seeing every topic going the way of "late slip", "hurr wrestling observer subscriber" "ALL CAPS POSTING" etc ad nauseum I just stopped reading. Is there something I'm missing?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

"If you hit him with a Truck, he's fine"

edit: which episode was the "nearfalls on an iceflow" on?

March 14th, directly after Victory Road

http://www.f4wonline.com/content/view/19817/150/

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Ed Jackula holy :lol:

EDIT: I like that Vinny does his long summary of the Million Dollar Belt skit, there's pregnant pause, and Bryan pipes in with "What if we just called him 'Count Jackula'?". I died.

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 20, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

sportsgenius86 posted:

The Jackula, Hillbilly Jim-Red Rooster discussion was loving HILARIOUS.

A MAN'S GIMMICK IS A CHICKEN.

A CHICKEN!

HE DOESN'T HAVE A LAST NAME!

HIS FIRST NAME IS "HILLBILLY"!

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
President Nixon was a worker

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

The Shaman of Cum posted:

is anyone else really annoyed with bryans new habit of saying like "i could not buh-LEEEVE" or "rueaaeeeally???"

It's no more annoying than "And they did this WHYYYY?!" or any of his other verbal tics

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

None of which are new. But the "I could not buh-LEEEVE" does, for whatever reason, make me angry.

Nothing is as bad as the nyupp, though.

nyupp?

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

triplexpac posted:

The only tic that used to annoy me was Dave's constant "y'know"s, but now I don't even notice them anymore.

I only notice them when he gets into an endless loop of them while in the middle of a sentence

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

MassRayPer posted:

Usually when Dave and Bryan do a ton of shows in a row they say they don't know how they'll be by the end but it won't be pretty. This time however, they were so insane and hilarious tonight that the next three days should be something else.

Oh sweet christ I was in tears

"Dana's Q&As are like Make-A-Wish. Except the guys aren't mentally handicapped, except for some of them... or some kind of handicap. I don't want that to come off wrong"

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Oh my God "The Paper Bag Bandit" loving killed me

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
I just realised that ever since the n-word incident, Bryan has stuck to playing instrumental ragtime at the open of the B&V shows

Probably for the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Lies. He just needs to play some different blues, rather than the same Blind Willie or Dick Justice songs as always. Give me some Howlin' Wolf, Bo Diddley, Muddy Waters, etc.

Off topic: TomWaitsForNoMan, great name, but did you use to go under a different handle?

Yeah, I used to go by HVD but changed it a while ago.

The Smackdown review on this week's B&V is hilarious. Between "he could put a paper bag on... each tit", "Zeke blew the guys off backstage", and "they poured a crepe on him" I was in tears

• Locked thread