Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
So we all love talking about wrestling, and we all love wrestling news. We also love interviews with wrestlers. All of these things can be found in text form on the Internet, but nowadays we also have the option of getting them in audio form by way of podcasts! Some are good, some are great, and some are terrible. Let's use this thread to share some of our favorites/least favorites and talk about why we love/hate them!

Here are the ones I'm aware of:

Wrestling Observer/Figure Four-This is probably the one that most Wrestlehut goons are familiar with. They usually do three free shows a week (though this past week they did like five for some reason). I find it to generally be pretty informative although it's mostly just Dave/Bryan/Vinny/whoever recapping and reviewing the TV shows and PPVs. If you're a subscriber they do like 15 shows a week and I can't imagine how much worthwhile content those could possibly have.

The LAW - Live Audio Wrestling-This is probably my personal favorite. It's a Toronto-based weekly radio show that airs every Sunday on Sirius (you can also listen online). They upload the show to their website after it airs and if you listen to it this way they also include a podcast of reviews done by a couple of their hosts. The same two hosts also do weekly reviews of raw and impact.

Art of Wrestling-Weekly show hosted by indie wrestler Colt Cabana. He interviews a different person every week and it's generally pretty drat entertaining. I've only listened to a couple episodes so I don't really have much else to say about it.

Wrestlecrap Radio-This sucks, don't listen to it.

PW Torch-They do something like three shows a week and they're OK, but nothing special and the website is loaded with popups.

Those are the ones I'm familiar with, and you can get all of them through itunes as well as from their respective websites. Post some of your favorites and I'll add them to the OP.

Karmine fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Yeah I don't really get the Granny stuff or the "Let's talk about Bryan's cats for a half hour" stuff. Is there something I'm missing or do I just not give a poo poo about cat stories?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

The LAW just had a really good interview with Chris Jericho last night and you should all check it out.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Yeah that tangent was weird and ridiculous. I can't tell if Dave doesn't know how to talk like he's joking or he just wasn't even joking.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

"Scientists believe that the first person to live to be 150 years old has already been born. I believe I am that person."

This is from an episode of Parks and Recreation but I could absolutely hear Vince McMahon saying it.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

A LAW listener gets into a :siren: FACEBOOK ARGUMENT :siren: with everyone's favorite person:

FACE CRIPPLE.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Gatts posted:

Is that a fake Russo? That can't be the real Russo...

I had that thought but I hope it's real.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Deadpool posted:

I didn't see the show, but from Dave's write up it sounds like the whole thing was poo poo besides AJ and Hardy. I can't believe the ended a PPV with a double countount and the Hardy/Sting debacle. Bryan and Vinny's review should be glorious.

Rumor has it that Hardy was in "no condition to perform" so that would explain the brevity of the main event.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Am I the only one who wishes Bryan Alvarez would shut the gently caress up about his stupid cats?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Exactly. The Bryan and Vinny show is always the one that's less serious and way more frivolous than the others. Granny, cats, songs, and all the other goofiness is part of the charm

The songs are loving awesome, and Granny is all right, but for gently caress's sake I wanna hear them talk about wrestling! It's especially annoying when Bryan talks about his cats for 20 minutes and then yells at Vinny for taking too long to recap a PPV.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Oasx posted:

I tried Art of Wrestling but didnt really care for it.

It usually depends on who the guest is. Check out the one with the Iron Sheik it's pretty funny.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Dave internally debating whether or not Vince was actually waterskiing when he came up with the idea for wrestlemania was also pretty funny.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Yeah when Bryan mentioned that Triple H was interrupted by Undertaker's dong, I laughed so hard I almost swerved off the road.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

I heard this 10 minutes after subscribing and said "yep, this was the right decision"

Hahaha it was a free show.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Holy poo poo I'm listening to Dave freak out about the girl from Tough Enough who said that Melina vs. Alicia Fox was her favorite match and it's pretty funny.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

LordPants posted:

I actually really liked the Limp Bizkit song with Bryan dubbed over the top. :ohdear:

Probably because it was hilarious.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

the n-word incident

Do what now?

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

seriousquotesfromdave.txt

Can someone please compile this list and post it.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Neodoomium posted:

The guys that call into the LAW are the worst callers of any radio show in history.

This post has me very excited to listen to this weeks episode. LAW callers generally fall into one of three categories:
-unrepentant morons
-nowhere near as funny as they think they are
-regular old folks who wanna talk wrestling/MMA

That list is in order of frequency of occurrence btw. Though it's really fun to hear Jason Agnew (who is also not as funny as he thinks he is) rip into them from time to time.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Sue Denim posted:

After hearing Agnew's rant on Kharma on this weeks LAW I'm sold on him just being a prick, what an rear end in a top hat.

Yeah Agnew apparently thinks that condoms are 100% effective and never ever break or fail. I'd like to see him call Kia Stephens stupid to her face and get loving slaughtered.

What was even sadder was hearing John Pollock (who I actually really like) pitifully trying to say :geno: "condoms are only 99% effective you guys." :geno:

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

The LAW fans on facebook (myself included) spoke out against what Agnew said so he posted this response:

Jason Agnew posted:

KHARMA RESPONSE:

So it looks as though i've got some of you a little steamed with my comments last night on the show. And let me first say i don't take any of them back!

I agree having a child is an incredibly important, perhaps THE most important moment in someone's life... however looking at a woman's career who has spent the majorit...y of her life training, working indies, and preparing to finally one day hit the pinnacle of the WWE. Then to be put into an angle and receive a major push on television, and essentially have the entire Divas division revolve around her intrusion and integration... well I'd say there are other better times in life to decide to partake in the "miracle of life".

This is a very tough industry for women, and there are choices to be made, i have spoke to a couple of the divas about this who have made it very clear to me that they do want to have children but decided that is something they're going to ...do AFTER their career is finished and they've got themselves set-up to provide for those children.

In my opinion, although this may not be an intentional / planned pregnancy it is definitely ill timed.

I wish Kia Stevens nothing but the best.. a healthy pregnancy, a healthy child, and hopefully a great comeback... but if I were Vince McMahon I would be furious at her making this choice at this particular time in her career.

Go ahead and have your fun bashing me now!
Jason Agnew

Not really doing himself any favors in my eyes.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I mean, for all we know she could've been sexually assaulted in which case "blaming" her is all the more revolting.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Sue Denim posted:

Agnew should have just said he was sorry.

I was already starting to get really annoyed with Jason Agnew but this hardheaded poo poo is just ridiculous. That said, it was fun hearing him ask Meltzer's opinion and Meltzer pretty much saying "it's her decision so whatever" was awesome.

At this point I think Agnew is just heeling it up honestly and it's kinda pathetic. Also pathetic is the way this story dominated the show for two weeks. The first week the show was all about Agnew tearing Kong a new one and then the next week the show was all about talking about Agnew tearing Kong a new one. Talk about wrestling you assclowns.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

I too would be happy to help with a wrestling podcast.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Just got around to listening to the Punchsport Podcast. It was great, especially when HulkaMatt got (understandably) pissy about annoying PMs and reports at the end.

Do people seriously report posts for bad grammar because I'm pretty anal about grammar but goddamn.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Lanny Poffo is on the LAW right now and I love hearing that dude's voice.

Hearing him talk about Randy is probably gonna be :smith: as all hell though :(

e: They were supposed to have the interview like 20 minutes ago and they still haven't gotten him on the phone. . .

Karmine fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 20, 2011

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Double C on this weeks AOW.

Sweet I was wondering what Chris Chetti was up to these days.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Lamuella posted:

with good commentators and solid booking you could get anyone over. The problem is that nobody gets solid booking at the moment.

Nor are they getting good commentators.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Ragnarok the Red posted:

So about a week ago I finally upgraded to a touchscreen phone with unlimited text & data so I could listen to podcasts at work to make the day pass faster.

I just listened to the most recent one with Cabana & Lethal, any other notable Colt podcasts I should listen to among the 48 others he'd done? And what other FREE podcasts would worth a listen too (don't feel like subbing to Observer at the moment)?

The first episode of colt's podcast was him interviewing CM Punk and that was pretty great. I would also recommend the LAW but if you can't handle listening to the idiots who call into the show proper, their review show spinoffs are really fun.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Fish Of Doom posted:

This call in show today makes you realize how awkward most wrestling fans are.

Listen to the LAW sometimes. They help me realize that every single week.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

And that's before they get to calls. HEY-OOO

Honestly sometimes this is true. Agnew is pretty loving stupid and full of himself sometimes.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Big Bob Pataki posted:

I've literally stopped listening to the LAW just because of the callers

I can only handle so much aspergers, and the hosts certainly don't help

Not every annoying moron has Asperger's. Some people are just annoying morons.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

LAW callers are the most awkward loving people in the world Jesus Christ.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Dickeye posted:

I like the studio apartment line, because it's stupid and silly and just become a Thing He Does.

Yeah it'd be like getting mad at Alvarez for saying "tons of stuff to talk about" it's just part of his show opening routine.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Captain Charisma posted:

They've been allowed to do interviews for many people including Live Audio Wrestling. They just barred them from WOL and F4D for obvious reasons.

Come to think of it I can't think of the last time I heard an active WWE guy on the LAW.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

shotgunbadger posted:

Thanks, got both Smart Wrestling Fan and I Want Wrestling in my phone for later.

Have you checked out Punchsport Podcast because you totally should.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

weekly font posted:

I like you. :)

And I like your podcast!

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

shotgunbadger posted:

Nifty, well for sports/gaming type stuff I really enjoy both styles, so might as well get both and cover all bases. Thanks a lot for the info! Is it on itunes too? I did a search and couldn't find it, but I did find their site after a google.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3421152

For all your PSPcast needs.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Labored Wooting posted:

It isn't that he just doesn't get humor as he has shown from some classic iceburns of posters on the F4W board.

Examples of such iceburns please.

(not doubting you just really wanna see them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

Also the show starts off with talking about Granny's eventual death.

• Locked thread