Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Big Bob Pataki posted:

Bryan and Vinny Show TNA reviews from the archives are my favorite things ever

I thoroughly enjoy hearing Bryan Alvarez lose his poo poo over how dumb TNA is. It's actually kind of fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

My favorite thing is when Bryan recaps something that happened on TNA with a totally neutral inflection, and I think of what's wrong before he tells me.

He does it for that very reason I think. He likes to play the "Do you see what's wrong here?" bit. He's so good at it.

e: Oh my god, I never heard the TNA monday night right. This is absolutely epic. I finally get the gold boat reference.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 17, 2011

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Dave was really vicious towards the AWA in its last half decade.

Holy poo poo that is absolutely amazing.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I really like Formerly Creative with Dave Lagana. It gives a pretty neat insight on how awful the creative process is. The one with Court is a bit mindblowing. How the hell is creative supposed to do their job if Stephanie is saying they can't interact with the talent?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Living Vicariously posted:

I don't think it's so much that they want to sabotage it. Some guys, like Dunn and Ace, just seem to do whatever slimy poo poo it takes to hold their top spot. Guys like Hayes seem to be utterly entrenched in the old ways, regardless of if they work any more or not.

Vince seems clueless because he's surrounded by 'yes men' and Steph seems to think that dad's way is the right way.

It really is a mess.

A lot of companies are like that though. People in the top positions always want to clutch at their position for as long as possible. Hell, it's actually one of the prime examples of what pro wrestling talent does.

I still think eventually someone is going to realize that the system is broken and pull the trigger on some huge changes. I have no insight as to what those changes are and how theyd come about though.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Deadpool posted:

After listening to Bryan and Vinny's show last night I think I may need to find a way to watch last night's Impact show. Holy poo poo it sounds hilarious.

Honest to god I tried this last week and got halfway through (The apparent lesbian love triangle) before I just couldn't take it anymore and gave up.

I mean, bad wrestling TV is one thing, but Impact is just bad tv period. I really thought Bryan was exaggerating when he said how awful Impact was week in and out. He isn't.

Also the Bryan and Vinny show is probably the best show that the Observer puts out.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Karmine posted:

"Scientists believe that the first person to live to be 150 years old has already been born. I believe I am that person."

This is from an episode of Parks and Recreation but I could absolutely hear Vince McMahon saying it.

I now have this horrible fear that Vince McMahon will somehow find a way to either live forever or live through some form of holographic technology.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

On the last Bryan and Vinnie show they were talking about some god awful mid-atlantic championship wrestling show. It sounded both hilarious and racially offensive.

That show alone is worth the Observer subscription.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

And if you like racially offensive and MMA there is Five Star Radio with Michael Coughlin!

He loves Armenians!

I didn't mean the podcast was racially offensive, I meant the stuff in Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling was offensive!

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

The best thing I've learned from Formerly Creative is that Vince's favorite movie is Wild Hogs.

I'm shocked he didn't try to turn it into an angle somehow with himself, Briscoe and Patterson.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Should we start predicting where tonight's Alvarez rant will fall in the F4W 2011 Top #50?

I've never been so excited for a radio show. I'm more excited for his rant tonight than I am for Wrestlemania.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Rick posted:

It is my policy these days to just listen to these podcasts and not watch TNA, but is this bad enough that I should watch so I fully get all the rant?

I tried this with Impact once because I didn't believe it was as bad as Bryan was saying. I got about 45 minutes in before I just gave up. I almost wasn't even totally focused on Impact and still couldn't survive it.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

LordPants posted:

Bryan (in next room): WOO!!
Vinny: That was a 35 year old man just doing the flair strutt, then doing a woo.
Bryan (next room): I gotta take this jacket off!
Vinny: Hit it with an elbow drop!
*muffled thud from next room*

Also good to mention this was only like 30 minutes the show too.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

"Let's say we're in a world where Vince McMahon lives to be two-hundred years old."

"Thatwillneverhappen."
If Vince never dies I'm holding Bryan personally responsible now.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Figure Four Daily had Larry Mollin today who wrote for Beverely Hills 90210 and WWE. It's a really great show and I recommend it.

Tidbits learned: DO NOT NOD IN AGENT MEETINGS! Vince hates that.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

If anyone listened to the Bryan and Vinnie show (free show today), Bryan pretty much totally snapped regarding The Miz and his booking/portrayal as champion. I think he went on for at least 7-10 minutes. It wasn't a rant for the ages, but it was still pretty impressive.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I like how on the Observer show today Bryan brings up the possibility of Cole beating Eve for the Divas title and Dave goes silent contemplating and then says "Well it's not the worst idea of the world". He then slowly talks himself into the angle.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

LordPants posted:

I can't watch it.

And I thank the lord every day for that.

I tried it and made it through about 45 minutes of programming.

e: This is the BEST way to open the Bryan and Vinnie show.
"This show was better than last week's show in that if a great plague came along and killed 1.5 million people another one came along this week and killed 1.4 million people."

Akileese fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 25, 2011

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

Sweet, a podcast that has former WWE creative members on it? And I get to pay for it? Waaait a minute, I'll just listen to Formerly Creative.

Speaking of which on the latest episode they talk about how WWE might have done Wargames if not for 9/11. :911:

Wait was this because Hassan was supposed to be involved?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

The Berzerker posted:

No it was because 9/11 happened. They didn't want to do something called "War Games" right after the start of a war.

Didn't have to call it wargames though. WWE constantly rebrands things the way they see fit so I was surprised they didn't just change the name entirely.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Karmine posted:

Dave internally debating whether or not Vince was actually waterskiing when he came up with the idea for wrestlemania was also pretty funny.

The best part of the WO's with Dave is he'll get into a sort of trance thinking about something and when Bryan tries to change the subject, Dave just keeps talking about it. He gets into his own little world while speaking out loud. It's hilarious.

E: Also "Why would people order Wrestlemania now when they've already seen Kane play the trumpet on free tv?"

Akileese fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 29, 2011

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

I like how in every single writer's week Bryan has to ask them "So did Vince ever try to kill you?" Just because of Court's story.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

Holy poo poo. I NEED to hear the promo that Dave Taylor cut on the guy at subway in Atlanta

This was a great observer when he was talking about Chael Sonnen and making him jump through hoops. Then Bryan insinuated he have some sort of physical challenge for him. The Dave Taylor part was definitely the highlight though.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

LordPants posted:

I was disproportionally amused by "We're back on Entertainment Observer Live."

As well as him spending a good five minutes trying to figure out what to call the show now.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

Better yet, just go download ADRENALINE FLUSH on The Board.

This alone is reason to subscribe. If you only stay on for one month, just download this. It's worth the subscription price alone.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Korak posted:

Haha I was coming to post the exact same thing. Everyone seen Bryan an email telling him to review NWA:MS show next week.

Bryan: "I haven't seen Mountain State Wrestling but it's begging to be watched."
Well all the people who watch and have observer subs have been hammering him on twitter and emails to watch. I was actually going to use my shout out for it but I forgot.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Tarasenko Tank posted:

Another great line: "I thought they were going to announce later tonight that Smackdown was drafted to Monday nights."

Speaking of Bryan, even though it's not podcast related, in figure four weekly this week I got a fantastic mental image from this.

quote:

Smackdown is also on Tuesdays, the day after they've re-written Raw a hundred times, so Vince doesn't go in there with his flaming sword and tear everything apart right and left.

He was talking about Daniel Bryan and I just got this image of Vince walking through Gorilla, flaming sword in hand beheading creative workers for having awful ideas. It made me laugh for hours.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Capsaicin posted:

I never really went on the board, but I knew that there were issues with Jez just from the fact that Vinny seemed to hate him, and Vinny really doesn't give a poo poo about the board at all.

Bryan also announced on the B and V show that someone was banned because he'd received a never ending streams of emails about it. Judging from the content of that board and the amount of poo poo on it, if people want you banned you really must be a terrible poster there.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Borh posted:

I had never read that Jez thread before and it's an awesome meltdown.

That was Rovert. I don't frequent The Board that much either, because it's mostly filled with annoying, unfunny trolls, but I swear to God, every single thread I ever clicked on, this dude had a reply within the first 5 posts. He had something like over 50 thousand posts total and I'm willing to bet that 90% of them were of the low content poo poo-post variety that would get you banned from SA in less than a week.

Ahh yeah that was it. Like I said, I don't frequent it that much. I only read threads that people tell me I have to read, like the Jez thread which is loving comedy gold.

And I really don't like Todd Martin. He brings nothing positive to any show he's on.

e: I still have my shout out but with more than a few people using it for NWA:MS, I'm going to save it for the next ridiculous indy promotion that some goon discovers.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

elf help book posted:

Why bother when we all know the winner will be Shockwave the Robot?

My vote is for Dragon Dragon :colbert:

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Bryan had to point out that Dave came out with the Wrestlemania buyrate "off the top of his head". How the hell did he even pull that off?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

If you actually care about watching Smackdown (I'm not even going to mention TNA), you may want to wait out this Bryan and Vinnie show because they give away spoilers.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

I didn't know cell phones did that so I have never noticed it. Dave's kids in the background of the last show did amuse me though.

That actually freaked me out. I was listening to that podcast at like 12 at night and I was dozing in and out. I kept wondering "why the gently caress do I keep hearing little kids?" So I'd get up and look around wondering who's letting their children out at midnight. It took me about 15 minutes before I realized it was the podcast.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

A MUSK OX

I started laughing uncontrollably at "Find us on Facebook!", people on the train were looking at me funny. Also "There was a guy with a turban collecting the tolls. We thought it was hilarious" was a pretty good senior moment

A very fat deer in the headlights. He was going through the list of things that show up before TNA's actual FB page and it was like Bound for Glory 2015 or something insane.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Deadpool posted:

TNA Impact: Bogglefuck Matters!

You can buy bogglefuck mugs and bumper stickers!

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

LordPants posted:

Bryan and Vinny kicks off with
One of Macho's rap tunes.

:)

Bryan played one after every single break on Observer live. It was amazing.

Akileese fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 25, 2011

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Sue Denim posted:

I can't find Granny on facebook :(

"Granny do you want to give your name so people who aren't Facebook friends with you can find you?"
"No."

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Borh posted:

Protip: searching for "granny's gang" on google will not, in fact, lead you to her facebook page.

You can try searching for it on Facebook but you might get similarly disturbing results.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

"How did you miss that fight?"
"I went and got ice cream."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Sue Denim posted:

I missed that and thought they came to the compromise of five new friends a week.

I would have sent a killer cover letter to be one of Granny's picks for a friend.

Naw, I have a feeling we would have been BFF's.

I admittedly don't listen to Granny segments but it was a shorter one so I actually listened to it. Perhaps they did so on the next one.

• Locked thread