Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm shocked Vince has even heard of Wild Hogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
For some reason I'll never forget him bitching about Nigel vs. John Walters from Honor Reclaims Boston. He loving HATED it.

e: Also consider that Matt Morgan was also brought up in late 2003. If he was abysmal in 2005...

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
My favorite LAW memory is all the times when they would poo poo all over a WWE PPV, only for Meltzer to come on like 10 minutes later, who would say "I thought it was pretty good," and they'd immediately change their tune

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The one where they talked about the reverse battle royal was amazing.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Deadpool posted:

The Fight for the Right Tournament? My God that is still one of the biggest clusterfucks I've ever seen.

What's funny is that one of the local Washington indies that Bryan wrestled at did a reverse battle royal a few months before

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Deadpool posted:

I loved that because it's how I felt the one or two times I saw a DGUSA event. I understand that people like that stuff but I just can't get into it.

I was also at the first show, and after the third match or so, I realized "Everyone is going to go nuts for this, but it's very poorly put together." The crowd was at 11/10 at the beginning of the show, and by the end of the third match, they were about 6.5-7/10. It was way too much. Definitely the worst structured show I've ever been to.

Under normal circumstances, they'd be dead, but a lot of people who just watched the PPV with bad sound quality on their own time, under their own pace didn't get the drop. So what happened was they figured we were just being negative to be negative, since the crowd still sounded lively, when in reality it was like taking a crowd that was 7/10 to 3/10.

If I still subscribed I'd probably love Cat Chat, but I generally detested most non-wrestling talk on B&V. I would always fast forward through Granny/Brent Chat.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

jeffersonlives posted:

If you're going to a show that Gabe Sapolsky booked, you basically have to accept bad pacing and burned out crowds as part of the territory. He's just not good at that anymore for whatever reason.

There was only one other Gabe show I had been to that ever was that bad, and it was Gabe's last show. He was awful at pacing (Hence having to put world title matches in semi-main spots so the crowd wouldn't be burned out for them), but he was never truly wretched until late 2008.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Psycho Mantits posted:

I seriously can't wait for Vince, Dunn et al. to get the gently caress out.

You're in for a very long and sad lifetime of waiting, then.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The Board has been making jokes about him since its inception

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

MassRayPer posted:

Most people, the traditional wrestling fans thought the show was awful and insulting. The sports entertainment fans liked it a lot.

That's interesting, considering it was pretty much universally reviled here.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bryan's verbal tics, to me, were an extension of his real life gimmick: Angry, boisterous, tiny man. Just like Dave is a wrestling encyclopedia cyborg.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't remember most of the assholes on The Board, but I think I do remember rovert and gently caress that guy

My favorite times on there were when sprewell rimz and I hijacked the site with the help of Tony when Bryan and Vinny were gone for the night, and when I trolled Bix to the point where he left for good. gently caress Bix.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was skipping Granny segments in 2006

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

What are the best Observer wrestler interviews?

Bryan Danielson from 2007 or so is great.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The WWE stuff was hard because the product is so dead right now. It's been "dead" for a decade, but there were subjects we could have enthusiastically talked about up until April or so.

Likewise, ROH is about to have one of its biggest shows of the year, so we're gonna have a lot to say. If it were approaching a weekend where they went to Detroit or something...probably not as much.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Berzerker posted:

I think it was too long and that one guy needs to shut up

Reported for mod sass

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Much before that. I remember a clip from the old eYada show right before Judgment Day 2001 (I think) where a caller suggests that Benoit should lose the 2/3 falls match to Angle after E&C interference, then be Jericho's partner in the tag scramble and win that match, followed by winning the tag belts the next night.

Bryan and Dave pretty much laugh him off and say it's a great idea but will never happen.

The caller was not me.

My example will always be the people fantasy booking angles for the Invasion when WWF bought WCW and Dave shooting down most of them since they were terrible

Then a few months later he was like "Man those were all terrible but way better than what we got"

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know the reasoning is probably tradition but that is seriously so retarded of them that they still use rope

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Hirams Bitch posted:

I'm not familiar with these arguments. Can you summarize and also let us know who was on the wrong side so they can be rightfully mocked?

Meltzer reported in 2007 that Punk was in the doghouse. Said report was backed up by Punk losing clean week after week, often to complete nobodies and scrubs like Matt Striker.

Wrestlehut decided this report was complete bullshit despite the obvious evidence on their TV screens, and concluded that Dave Meltzer was lying to increase readership or something.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I still say based on what we saw on television that claims he was in the doghouse were far overstated, since despite all those claims (at least one of which has now been confirmed by people who were working there at the time) he kept moving higher and higher up into more prominent roles in a fairly speedy fashion.

Well...you can be in the doghouse for a month or two. It isn't like you're condemned to be there forever.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
No it literally was because people thought he was getting pushed and that Meltzer was lying (like he always does!!)

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
They talked about the same problems when the thing started in 2005 since this has been a problem for a decade

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
My favorite interview was the one they did with Danielson in...2007 I think

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mr. Carlisle posted:

We all know by now what the result of the MITB main event is going to be but I just thought it was amusing that they were having nearly the same discussion in 2008.

Well again it's because we've been having the same discussions for a decade now. You can hear the same "If anyone though x was going to win in their hometown they are a retard" discussion in a ton of F4W and WOLs from 2001 to now.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
They've been allowed to do interviews for many people including Live Audio Wrestling. They just barred them from WOL and F4D for obvious reasons.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Karmine posted:

Come to think of it I can't think of the last time I heard an active WWE guy on the LAW.

Yeah someone cut it off a few years ago

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The F4W board stopped being good in 2007 or so

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I think 11 is way worse than 9. 9 is remembered because of Hogan and the setting, but 11 has Bret Hart's worst match, Shawn Michaels not being able to get anything out of Diesel (in addition to giant vs. small guy having the heel/face dynamics reversed), and the rest of the card is the standard godawful mid 90s midcard.

The main event is fine considering who is in it, but the main event of the biggest show of the year shouldn't be "fine."

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Christian-Jericho with Trish involved in 2003-04 was planned by them

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
A little more than an average of 5 minutes per, though.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The ROHcast Part I: The 187 Stick-Up Kids

MRP, HulkaMatt, Grody and I shot the poo poo about 2007-08 ROH for awhile. It's a good listen!!!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

HulkaMatt posted:

No in a few years they'll think the rugrats is the hot new show!

"Say Hunter...have you heard of this...anime?!"

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Thauros posted:

His bit on Kevin Steen was so loving depressing on the other hand :(

What did he say

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The fatness is conflicting, because as awful for your health as it is, and as limiting as it is, it IS a differentiator. WWE lacks big fat dudes that brawled and wrecked poo poo that were more prevalent 20-30 years ago, and they go for guys with The Look and only The Look. Additionally, Steen's athleticism is more eye-catching because of his weight.

But with that said, "wow that fat dude is athletic" doesn't really take you far, and Steen is certainly great both in and out of the ring to not need to have some visual differentiator.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The move naming is especially dumb with all of the move recycling WWE has done in recent years. How many reverse STO variations have we seen since 2005 or so, like 15? And they all had some stupid name like Mic Check or Play of the Day

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

What made the match so bad?

We'll explain on a show. Long story short, it was Deranged's test match to see if Gabe would bring him back, and the match ended with the crowd chanting DON'T COME BACK at him

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hillbilly Jim should be upbeat and positive, the dude was fuckin' savvy. He knew his time in the WWF was long past up and transferred to an office role before becoming a headliner in high school gyms in front of 35 people for $50

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was joking with the seats chat

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
A lot matches people thought should be ***** were always ****3/4 (and I don't mean random Elimination Chamber matches or w/e). I never knew how to interpret it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

triplexpac posted:

I will always remember the weird dirtsheet talk that Owen was supposed to get "The Game" gimmick.

Well it was his idea, and he wasn't going to get HHH's push as much as the nickname was just transferred over to HHH.

• Locked thread