Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I really think the best thing about "Formerly Creative" are the little things mentioned that give us insight into the weird eccentricity of Vince McMahon.

Agreed, and it's nice to know that a lot of them do like wrestling and do try to help talent develop. The extent to which they get hamstrung by WWE's bass-ackwards corporate attitude is staggering.

It is still a little weird, though, that these nerdy comedy writers keep getting hired to write for a show where jocks beat each other up. As cool and funny and well-intentioned as a lot of those guys are, I can't help thinking that they're out of sync with what wrestling is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Timby posted:

Well, just because you're a fan of something and really enjoy it, that doesn't mean you're qualified to be in the creative process. John Logan apparently has an encyclopedic knowledge of all things Star Trek, but that didn't keep him from turning Star Trek Nemesis into a festering pile of dog poo poo.

Honestly, in many cases fans are the worst kind of people you can hire for your creative team, as evidenced by 99.9 percent of all fantasy booking seen on Internet forums.

Right, but I'm not questioning what they do based on them being fans or not. A lot of those writers are, or become, fans anyway. It's their initial approach to the product that irks me, because their instincts run towards "hey this would be funny" when wrestling isn't primarily a comedy. It doesn't seem like many of them (Court Bauer and Lagana himself being exceptions) really understood the principles of writing angles to build into stories that build to matches and draw money, and there wasn't anyone in WWE willing to lay that out for them.

Bringing in a bunch of sperglords to write the shows would be a disaster too, of course, but what I'm learning is that WWE needs to provide much better leadership and guidance for their writing team, since most of them come from outside the wrestling industry.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Edit: They also said that CM Punk legit doesn't like anyone.

One of the running gags on the Art of Wrestling involves Colt trying to find people who didn't think CM Punk was a huge rear end in a top hat when they first met him.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LividLiquid posted:

Who pronounces roof "rough", though?!

People from out West.

Bryan and Vinny watching the New Generation video is my personal favorite.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

sportsgenius86 posted:

The best thing I've learned from Formerly Creative is that Vince's favorite movie is Wild Hogs.

The only Vince story to compete with that is Paul Heyman talking about Vince competing with his own sneezes.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LividLiquid posted:

shithoused

Kinda off-topic, but thank you for introducing me to this term - I can't stop picturing it and laughing.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CVagts posted:

Wait, so Meltzer's FOR the idea of removing the word 'wrestling' from the product?

The second W stands for Wrestling. What got removed was the word Federation.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

BizarroAzrael posted:

They are also indirectly responsible for Officer Colt Cabana, so that's something.

They also spent an entire King Kong Bundy match discussing how much he looks like a giant penis in a broken black condom, which I cannot unsee no matter how hard I try.

Their music sucks, but holy poo poo can they be funny.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

Larry Matysik has some fantastic Savage stories on the new WOR.

Is this one a freebie or subscriber-only?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

servo106 posted:

So FC released a 2 part interview with Low Ki. Amongst the notable parts at least according to him now he didn't ask for his release and was terminated which I found pretty interesting.

Is that his real voice? I always thought that was his gimmick voice.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

He himself never said that, that's just what was reported.

Low Ki comes off as way more reasonable about everything than I expected. It's weird. I'm not sure I like it.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

triplexpac posted:

But seriously I don't know what I would want in a wrestling podcast that I'm not already getting elsewhere.

A segment called "Which Wrestlers Have Stairs In Their House?"

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Jenzar El posted:

It's funny that people don't like Les Thatcher because how he views things. You do realize he's not some idiotmark like 99% of the IWC podcast hosts. Dude has been in the business for 50 years and constantly gets praise from Lance Storm for his rants and articles. He's also the reason that wrestling got on TV back in the late 60's and 70's. It's really awful to hear fans do a wrestling podcast and make fun of actual wrestlers opinions who've actually been in the business and have taken real bumps.

Relatedly, the Honky Tonk Man has a podcast now which is pretty good, in part because for some reason he's a lot less randomly bitter than he used to be and therefore much more willing to talk shop.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LordPants posted:

Sounds good everyone, great job. :)

What he said - nice debut, guys! I'm also willing to be a voice on this thing, and I promise I'm not as white-noise in real life as I am in PSP.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

PaybackJack posted:

I also recommend people catch the Abe Kanan radio show that Punk and Cabana did, listening to them in that environment you really get a good sense that these guys have a pretty sharp wit.

Is there a way to catch this online? I don't have Sirius/XM and I'd love to hear those two talk shop.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

amplifierWORSHIP posted:

Molly Holly is continually proven to be one of the most selfless and giving people in pro-wrestling, what a sweet story :allears:

Seriously. Even New Jack takes the high road when it comes to Molly.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Web Jew.0 posted:

- Motor Beer
- Beer Motor
- City Beer
* Beer City
- Machine Beer
* Beer Machine
- Gun Beer
* Beer Guns

I would have accepted Gun Beer as a name.

Anyway, both Dave and Bryan are massive sperglords so no poo poo they get worked up too much about wrestling and can't have conversations like normal people. Comes with the territory of being a pro graps journalist, I guess.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ChampRamp posted:

I love Dave so much because he is a lot like me when it comes to wrestling :spergin:.

Dave's not a bad guy; actually he's pretty chill and likable for a guy with no social skills. It just bugs me that so many of his biases have become the smark standard for what good wrestling is.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ChampRamp posted:

Give me some examples. I know a few, but I just want to know what you think they are.

Well, the one that immediately comes to mind is his huge puro boner - Ditch has exposed me, all of us really, to a lot of good puro, but I think the way Meltzer used to automatically rate puro matches higher than American ones was unjustified. Whether that was a reaction to lazy veterans on the US scene or not, I can't say, but it bothered me.

More generally, there's more to a wrestling match than how many stars are bestowed upon it by one guy. I don't think Dave views himself as the Pope of smart fans, but a lot of smart fans do and it's tiresome as all hell.

edit: is it accurate to say that the demand for spotfests from indy wrestling fans came as a result of Dave, too? I dimly remember thinking that he gave crazy spotfests way too much credit.

CombineThresher fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Sep 8, 2011

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

ZoDiAC_ posted:

I remember vague uproars when stuff like Michaels Taker 1 and 2 didn't get 5 stars. In my mind giving a match 4 and three quarter stars is, well, it's 5 stars.

Yeah, the star ratings system allows for a lot of nitpicking about blown spots, which I'm willing to forgive if the guys are really good at covering for them or incorporating them. Maybe that's why I like Sabu so much.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

Formerly Creative has partially redeemed itself by teaching me that an actual person wrote 12 Rounds as a creative endeavor. I always assumed Vince McMahon saw Die Hard with a Vengeance and told Cena to remake it.

There's no way Vince has seen Die Hard with a Vengeance yet.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LordPants posted:

Steve Corino is a funny man. Sarah Del Ray is great too.

Seconded. I'd like to add Rocky Romero and Sonjay Dutt to this list as well: Rocky because of the chat he and Colt have about the lucha scene, and Sonjay because of his incredible cheapness.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

PaybackJack posted:

Doesn't matter if there is unless they have some new guest that's really interesting. The show ran out of steam months ago.

It started off really good, and then quickly degenerated into Lagana and his friends being :smug: about their Twitter accounts. Once the show reached that point, I began to understand why a bunch of jocks (and wannabe/former jocks) hated them so much.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

I hope this was on the Kikutaro AOW, although Bryan and Vinny will also be acceptable.

Kiku's interview opens with an evil laugh, which is even better.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

triplexpac posted:

He would also bring in Steve Blackman if people wouldn't download so darn much.

Wait, what? Why? Blackman is retired and kinda old.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

HulkaMatt posted:

Excited for this one!!! First AOW I'll have listened to in a while.

It's a good one. Danielson has a lot of good things to say about camaraderie in the business, and I cracked up when he protected El Generico's gimmick by insisting that he didn't speak English.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

It's up now. The stuff about Vince deliberately booking humiliating segments so that he could show the tapes at the WWE Xmas party while everyone awkwardly laughs just because Vince laughs has me convinced, if more proof were needed, that Vince has serious mental and emotional problems

Christ, it's like Vince is the concentrate version of what Occupy Wall Street is rallying against.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

HulkaMatt posted:

Ahhh it's been a long time!!! These shows are always really really fun. Excalibur is so damned awesome.

He really is - it's nice that guys like him and Quack are around to counter the stereotype that all wrestlers are inarticulate rednecks.

And the Tommy Dreamer episode of AOW is great. Colt's had a string of good episodes lately.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LordPants posted:

I would love to hear a whole ECW episode, that would be great.

Me too, but hearing about his IWCCW days was really interesting. He's gone into his ECW stuff before, but I'd love to hear him rag on Raven and Sandman for an hour.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

flashy_mcflash posted:

Same here. At this point I want so little for him to come back and be humiliated again that I'm happy to leave him sitting at home, tweeting angrily and consuming vats of BBQ sauce.

Yeah, Vince's bullshit isn't funny when he doesn't suffer an equally humiliating comeuppance. I hope JR has saved up enough money to tell him to get hosed and die if he ever comes calling again.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

The Briscoes are the most famous residents of Sandy Fork, so there is no reason to think anyone in local government would dare gently caress with them.

That and I'm picturing their local government as being no more than five people, none of whom are half as crazy as the Briscoes. I mean, Mark had to be physically restrained from attempting a drunken shooting star press onto a bunch of rowdy Sox fans at Camden Yards. God only knows what they're like on home turf.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

maniacripper posted:

Yeah, the Briscoes are hilarious. I can't tell where their gimmick ends

It doesn't. They have surprising bouts of good manners, though.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Borh posted:

Sadly he didn't answer the phone, either.

I'd like to think Lance was at home with his wife and kids, recognized the caller ID, remembered what day it was, and calmly passed them along to voicemail this year.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Borh posted:

He must have spun at him really loving hard. Who says flippy guys are unrealistic?

More like attacked him from behind in the locker room.

So is it funny or sad that Dave is such a 'spergy wrestling fan with no other hobbies? Alvarez is about as bad, but there's an element of tragedy to Dave that's uniquely his.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

The story I heard at the time made it sound like a very fair fight and Juvi just got his rear end kicked by Jack Evans.

Really? I'd always understood that Jack blindsided Juvi during an argument with Konnan.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I really enjoyed his book, "Dirtsheets! :argh:"

That kind of anger is especially rich coming from Bischoff, who did more to expose the business by running WCW than the sheets ever did.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Oatgan posted:

They go on to say that at least they are actually doing something with him instead of being a generic big guy, and will see where they go with this.

Funkasaurus is certainly a better character quirk than Zack Ryder not being able to pick up girls or change a loving tire.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Has anyone caught Colt Cabana's podcast lately, and any good episodes of late?

The most recent episode is good - Rhino is the guest, and he's worth listening to just because he's such a sweet-natured guy despite looking like an absolute beast. The Puppet episode is also good because it's not often one hears much about the midget wrestling side of the business.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Capsaicin posted:

Can someone explain Eamo's "Great Power of Uti" joke? I listened to it and didn't get it at all.

The Great Power Uti is a semi-famous Nigerian wrestler who is best known from stories about him being an rear end in a top hat in Mick Foley's first book, and more recently on Colt Cabana's podcast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

jeffersonlives posted:

Don West was one of the best managers in wrestling for the brief time they used him as such. It's a real shame.

Was he good enough to counteract being the worst announcer of all time?

• Locked thread