Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Dread Head posted:

I had a 190X prob and switched to a CF induro set of legs a few things I have noticed:

-new setup is about the same weight as my old one but can hold ~50lbs
-legs are much thicker so is much more stable
- one of the best things about CF for me is that my aluminum legs got REALLY cold in the winter, my CF ones have been miles better in this regard and was never something I really thought of but is so much nicer

Which set of Induro legs did you pick up? I've been looking into the 190cxpro3 since it's CF, light, and will allow the center post to go horizontal. I don't know that I really need the center post to rotate to horizontal, but it sure would be handy at times. If it is really that bad in terms of stability I'm more than willing to entertain other brands, but cost is going to become an issue. I'd like to stick around the $200-$220 mark for legs if at all possible.

I'm trying to stay light in order to pack a tripod while hiking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Captain Postal posted:

Benro or any other good knock-off brand carbon tripod. All carbon tripods are travel tripods, just to varying degrees. Metal tripods are not as good when weight matters.

I've been looking into getting a new tripod. I had a cheapo short plastic tripod that lasted me a few years, but it finally snapped and I'm ready to get something decent. I was originally looking into the 190xprob kit with the 496rc2 as it seems like a great bang for the buck. I'm thinking I'd like something lighter and carbon fiber to use for hiking trips.

This got me looking into the 190cxpro3 which looks like a great lightweight set of legs that goes super low, and retains the horizontal center column option which will be fun to play with for macro work. I'm curious though, Benro has been mentioned a lot, is there something in the Benro range that would be comparable?

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Well, this is the second dumb question in the Dorkroom today, but here it goes. Earlier tonight I bought a 322RC2 off craigslist along with 190xdb legs. My issue is that I think there's something wrong with the locking mechanism, but I can't find a manual or anything online that confirms this. When the trigger is not engaged I can still move the ball relatively easily. When I engage the trigger it definitely gets slightly easier to move, but I was under the impression that when the trigger isn't engaged the thing was supposed to be solid as a rock. Am I missing something?

I got a good deal on the set, so even if I have to do some repair work I'd feel ok about it, but I just need to know what to expect.

On most ball heads there is a tension knob that adjusts that. Once you turn down on the knob, it will get tighter when the trigger isn't engaged.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

rcman50166 posted:

So I now have a very heavy camera, a 40D with a grip and a 70-200. My tripod broke with it. So now I need a new one. The whole tripod market is rather confusing, mostly cause they don't have a practical naming systems for heads or legs. I want/need to move up to a drat beefy tripod now, But I'm not entirely sure where to start. I can't dump $300 into a tripod either. I'm looking for something in the area of $100-200. I understand you can get some decent manfrotto setups for that price. Anyone got some advice, or at least explain the naming system? The OP is good, however the variety is limited.

Also, what's up with the wooden leg tripods? I wouldn't imagine those are practical at all.

Here's what I ended up picking up. It's heavy, but works perfectly for me. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480322-REG/Manfrotto_190XPROB_Pro_Aluminum_Tripod.html

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Tyorik posted:

I'm having a lot of trouble finding a good tripod in my budget. I'm looking for a ballhead AND legs for $450-500. So far all I've got is:

http://www.feisol.net/feisol-classic-tripod-ct3402-rapid-p-27.html
+
http://reallybigcameras.com/PhotoClam/PC-36N_NS.htm

This will be for hiking/backpacking, so I need it to be as small and light as possible.

That's really similar to the setup I was looking into for hiking/backpacking. The Feisol 3441t + PC-36N is what I was looking at a few months back. Seems like a great combination and pretty lightweight.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

demonachizer posted:

So the tripod arrived and seems stable enough... Dumb question. What is the plastic thing clipped to one of the legs used for? I have something similar on a manfrotto monopod that I found in the garbage and never figured out what it was.

That's your wrench for adjusting the leg locks.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Trambopaline posted:

Just a couple of quick questions.

Does anyone knows if the really ebay branded tripods are worth my time? I think they're branded "fancier" so they aren't even the semi reputable induro or benros.

Also, how useful are those cantilever centre columns? I'm trying to figure out if I really need to get one because I'm a poor student and I have the option of looking at a cheap Chinese 190XB copy for 50 NZD second hand or a 190XPROB copy for 150$ new. I haven't seen the other one second hand and obviously if it's a complete dog I wouldn't jump for it, but I'm wondering if I should save my pennies for something a little better.

I bought the 190xprob and really like the tripod as a whole. It's rock solid, which does mean it's a bit heavy. The ball head is fantastic. I don't think I'll ever go back to a pan head again. As for the horizontal column, I've used it a few times but really not all that often. It's usually only when I want to do a macro shot or reach over a railing of sorts. Not necessary, but does come in handy from time to time. I wouldn't base my decision on it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Dudebro posted:

I posted this tripod question in the gear thread before finding out about this thread:

I'm looking to get my first tripod for a Canon T3i, so it would be the general use one for me. I have no idea what to look for in a tripod. I'd like something with a swivelling ball head and/or that allows swapping out of the head and one that also allows me to drop the camera somewhere within the three legs (is this even possible?). I would like to use it for macro photography and general outdoor/low light stuff. It would also be nice if it were able to support the camera close to the ground as well. I don't know enough about my shooting preferences to list other features, but whatever else you may suggest I'll take into consideration as well, especially things that may help facilitate more options for macro photography.

So that was my original question without knowing anything. I'd like to buy right the first time. I'd go for CF construction if it's recommended. For now, macro use is my main concern, and I'd also use it for general outdoor shooting (no specific scenarios in mind).

Buy this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/480322-REG/Manfrotto_190XPROB_Pro_Aluminum_Tripod.html

The center post not only moves vertically, but you can pull it out and mount it hortizontally as well to get even lower to the ground. The the legs spread as wide as they'll go and the center column mounted horizontally I can get mine to within a few inches of the ground. I thought I had a picture of mine setup, but apparently not on flickr.

• Locked thread