Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I do realize, because I grew up in one of those immigrant families bbqing in the park.

Anyvay, this is a stupid derail. Sorry about starting it.

EDIT: So what's this now?

https://twitter.com/seyfuddinq/status/823975848470605824

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
White people rule the roost here even though they are the tiniest minority.

Shageletic posted:

I do realize, because I grew up in one of those immigrant families bbqing in the park.

Anyvay, this is a stupid derail. Sorry about starting it.

EDIT: So what's this now?

https://twitter.com/seyfuddinq/status/823975848470605824

I hated going to the parks, especially Safa/Creek park.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So Turkey and Syria now share frontlines, Erdogan and Assad can assume their natural roles as the Laurel and Hardy of the ME :3:

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Volkerball posted:

I remember a decent amount of outcry over Egypt's sovereignty when Egypt and KSA first made the deal as well, so I assumed this view was a prominent one among people who tend to align with Sisi. Made sense to me. Can't imagine that people championing a militaristic strongman would be too thrilled with the idea of Egypt acting as a subordinate.

I couldn't imagine that fuckers that hated muslims ,supported Putin who's action drove them to us, but here we are.

This was heartlifting to say the least.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

Brown Moses posted:

Bellingcat receives zero funding from the Atlantic Council, Bellingcat's funding is currently from OSF, NED, Google, Adessium, and Meedan, and we're actually looking for funding for projects that will allow to cover Yemen more. I know people like Max thinks people are throwing money at Bellingcat, but I only wish that was the case, and it's nearly all for project related costs, rather than core costs like rent and utilities. A more detailed breakdown of funding is as follows, for those who are interested:
OSF - Russian translation of Bellingcat at ru.bellingcat.com, MENA project leader, and a financial investigator (got something big in the pipeline for that).
Google - Digital News Imitative funding for the Archive of Conflict Investigation project, currently developed the Syrian Archive.
NED - 4 training workshops in Eastern Europe for Russian speaking journalists.
Adessium - A professionalisation consultancy to develop Bellingcat into a professional organisation.
Meedan - Checkdesk related development with the Syrian Archive.

We also do a bunch of poo poo I don't like to talk about online because anytime I mention that sort of stuff people go all internet stalker on it and start harassing individuals and organisations involved for daring to have anything to do with me, like what happened with the OCCRP, who are apparently now definitely a CIA funded project to bring down enemies of the United States.

I was here before Belingcat and you started yammering on about Volcano rockets...

Holy poo poo, the vast Western Imperialist Conspiracy cares about SA.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

54.4 crowns posted:

I was here before Belingcat and you started yammering on about Volcano rockets...

Holy poo poo, the vast Western Imperialist Conspiracy cares about SA.

Western intelligence playing an awfully long game with me.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Deir Ezzor

Long story short ISIS has apparently trapped themselves in a similar situation as the Aleppo rebels did by taking the artillery school and 'breaking' the siege. They hold advantageous and critical ground between the two government pockets, but hold so little of it that they have minimal room to maneuver and are getting pounded by airstrikes. The past few days have seen their offensive blunted and all of their large attacks have failed, presumably with atrocious casualties. Meanwhile the Assadians have managed to secure some resupply capacity with air drops and helicoptering reinforcements and are using air strikes to bludgeon ISIS positions with the aim of restoring the road connecting the two pockets. If they succeed ISIS will have essentially wasted a great deal of its offensive strength for no substantial change in their position in DEZ.

The source is whatever, but the map is likely accurate.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=deirezzor&src=typd

Between this tale of two cities, Aleppo and Deir Ezzor, it's hard not to see the brick wall that separates heavily armed militia forces and heavily armed militia forces with access to air power. Once an area is under observation and clear lines of communication can call in heavy air strikes there's really nothing the side without air strikes can do to change the situation and they inevitably bleed out. This really was the only area that could substantially change the course of the war and in failing to capture DEZ ISIS is incredibly exposed to a multi pronged offensive. The Assadians are pushing north and south from T4 into Palmyra, east into the Al-Bab region, and east of Khanasar. With the SDF threatening Raqqa and a massive bubble deep inside their territory it's just a matter of time before ISIS collapses. Once ISIS starts weakening on the whole you might even see some level of an offensive from inside the DEZ pocket.

Or they can sack the pocket tomorrow idk :shrug:

I do think that it's interesting that ISIS continues to funnel its manpower into DEZ hoping to crack that stone. It's likely their last chance at success and they are throwing everything at it.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Brother Friendship posted:

Deir Ezzor

Long story short ISIS has apparently trapped themselves in a similar situation as the Aleppo rebels did by taking the artillery school and 'breaking' the siege. They hold advantageous and critical ground between the two government pockets, but hold so little of it that they have minimal room to maneuver and are getting pounded by airstrikes. The past few days have seen their offensive blunted and all of their large attacks have failed, presumably with atrocious casualties. Meanwhile the Assadians have managed to secure some resupply capacity with air drops and helicoptering reinforcements and are using air strikes to bludgeon ISIS positions with the aim of restoring the road connecting the two pockets. If they succeed ISIS will have essentially wasted a great deal of its offensive strength for no substantial change in their position in DEZ.

The source is whatever, but the map is likely accurate.

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=deirezzor&src=typd

Between this tale of two cities, Aleppo and Deir Ezzor, it's hard not to see the brick wall that separates heavily armed militia forces and heavily armed militia forces with access to air power. Once an area is under observation and clear lines of communication can call in heavy air strikes there's really nothing the side without air strikes can do to change the situation and they inevitably bleed out. This really was the only area that could substantially change the course of the war and in failing to capture DEZ ISIS is incredibly exposed to a multi pronged offensive. The Assadians are pushing north and south from T4 into Palmyra, east into the Al-Bab region, and east of Khanasar. With the SDF threatening Raqqa and a massive bubble deep inside their territory it's just a matter of time before ISIS collapses. Once ISIS starts weakening on the whole you might even see some level of an offensive from inside the DEZ pocket.

Or they can sack the pocket tomorrow idk :shrug:

I do think that it's interesting that ISIS continues to funnel its manpower into DEZ hoping to crack that stone. It's likely their last chance at success and they are throwing everything at it.

IS doesn't have a lot of good options, their best case outcome was for a sudden surprise push on DEZ with the veteran forces that managed to escape Mosul that would secure a new base of operations for them. DEZ pre-war was bigger than Raqqa and at this point with Palmyra under control it's pretty far away from any kind of relief as the DZ defender's supply difficulties show. DEZ could easily have collapsed under a sudden onslaught before airpower could be mobilized like Palmyra did, or if the situation got bad enough maybe Assad would have been tempted to launch some kind of half baked relief effort over land from Palmyra that might have been ambushed, but the Republican Guard and Hezbollah looks to have been tenaciously trading space for time and conserving their manpower while the Russian bombers did their work on IS in the open and have held the line long enough that IS's offensive capability have been blunted, and superior relief forces are slowly starting to move on them.

Also looks like Nusra is going to win in Idlib, just in time for Trump to (truthfully) declare all Syrian rebels to be Al Qaeda - turns out Putin was right! and start bombing them.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

chitoryu12 posted:

Minus the whole "arrested for violating Sharia Law" slip-ups you may have.

I thought it was murdered?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

So it seems that there is a full on civil war within a civil war in the Idlib province.

Ahrar al-Sham wants to kick out Jund al-Aqsa, claiming they are an ISIS fifth column. Ahrar al-Sham also say they will abide by the results of the peace talks, even though they are not invited.

JSF (formerly al-Nusra) was protecting Jund al-Aqsa, but briefly kicked them out before offering them protection again. Ahrar al-Sham and JSF had a brief war over this, with Ahrar al-Sham continually asking JSF to let them kill Jund al-Aqsa.

FSA factions such as Jaish al-Mujahideen and Jabha Shamiya are also now getting pounded by JSF in a general offensive in Idlib since they are attending peace talks in Astana, Kazakhstan that excludes JSF & Ahrar al-Sham.

I'm guessing that American planes killing 100+ fighters in a training camp jointly run by both JSF and Hakarat Nour al-Din al-Zenki greatly contributed to the current fighting.

Source:
http://www.aina.org/news/20170124170036.htm

I understand that 4 of the JSF commanders we killed with airstrikes in January were allegedly plotting terrorist acts in the West. I have a difficult time believing this, since JSF and the earlier Nusra Front has never conducted a single terrorist action outside of Syria and its leaders actively oppose such attacks, believing them to be a distraction. I believe it is much more likely that we're being fed bullshit intel by the other factions to eliminate their enemies. I remember all the hundreds of innocent people we hauled off to Guantanamo Bay because the locals were giving us BS intel, the vast majority of whom have been released without charges. I believe that the more we bomb and the more factions we pick a fight with, the more we guarantee there will be blowback in the long run.

It's kind of a moot point though, because Assad is going to win in Western Syria, and all the rebels save for a lucky few will find themselves hanging from electrical cables in some torture dungeon a year or two from now. Assad is happy to let the rebels in Idlib wear themselves down as he defends Deir Ezzor from ISIS. Hard to believe that in Feb 2014 nearly all of Deir Ezzor was occupied by the FSA and the residents had undergone incredible privation from government shelling and siege. During the next few years of fighting, most of the casualties in 2014 and 2015 were between rebel factions.

"A l'exemple de Saturne, la révolution dévore ses enfants"
Like Saturn, the Revolution devours its children

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I think AAS was invited to the peace talks but refused to attend, as opposed to Nusra who has no dialogue with anyone.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
IS counter attacking in Al Bab both Syrian and Turkish armies.

https://twitter.com/RamiAILoIah/status/824263563946631169

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Isis should just invade Turkey, what the hell would Turkey be able to do about it?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

coupbrick posted:

Isis should just invade Turkey, what the hell would Turkey be able to do about it?

Call them Kurdish terrorists.

And then imprison as Gulenists every Turkish soldier who retreats.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

coupbrick posted:

They could invoke Article 5.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Sinteres posted:

They could invoke Article 5.

Which mandates what response?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Rust Martialis posted:

Which mandates what response?

Every other NATO member responding as if it were an attack on their own territory, in theory.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Sinteres posted:

Every other NATO member responding as if it were an attack on their own territory, in theory.

I thought article 5 only applied in the North American and European theater?

Freezer fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 25, 2017

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/sayed_ridha/status/824301125138456576

Video of the Leopard and ACVs being hit by ATGMs.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Freezer posted:

I thought article 5 only applied in the North American and European theater?

That was changed when Turkey joined:

The North Atlantic Treaty posted:

If the Republic of Turkey becomes a Party to the North Atlantic Treaty, Article 6 of the Treaty shall, as from the date of the deposit by the Government of the Republic of Turkey of its instruments of accession with the Government of the United States of America, be modified to read as follows:

For the purpose of Article 5, an armed attack on one or more of the Parties is deemed to include an armed attack:

on the territory of any of the Parties in Europe or North America, on the Algerian Departments of France, on the territory of Turkey or on the islands under the jurisdiction of any of the Parties in the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer;
on the forces, vessels, or aircraft of any of the Parties, when in or over these territories or any other area in Europe in whicH occupation forces of any of the Parties were stationed on the date when the Treaty entered into force or the Mediterranean Sea or the North Atlantic area north of the Tropic of Cancer.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

https://twitter.com/sayed_ridha/status/824301125138456576

Video of the Leopard and ACVs being hit by ATGMs.

Those vehicles had some super effective infantry support.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

I'm the NATO army that was supposed to check Russian influence in the Middle East but instead spends all day every day getting owned by a bunch of starving idiots with beards.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I'm the NATO army that was supposed to check Russian influence in the Middle East but instead spends all day every day getting owned by a bunch of starving idiots with beards.

So you had everyone with more competence than blind loyalty to the Beloved Leader purged away on trumped-up charges? My condolences.

The Turkish forces lost so many personnel to Erdogan's paranoia that they're obligated to just let some of the purged members out of loving prison for the duration of a mission. When they return to base, they go back in jail. It's loving absurd. How the hell do you expect an army to actually work like this?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Russia got owned by jihadists in Afghanistan too, to be fair, and and we had problems of our own against these guys in Iraq, not to mention our debacle in Southeast Asia. It's still humiliating, but even superpowers got their noses bloodied by insurgents for decades, so Turkey's in pretty good company.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Looks like the recent "ceasefire" between the regime and "FSA" has been a strategic master-stroke for the regime. It's allowed them to consolidate their now much stronger overall position and begin to repair damaged areas and allow the majority of their forces to get some much needed recuperation.

And all that while allowing the inherent divisions within the "FSA" to fester to a point where the 2 largest factions are in open conflict with each other. Thus proving that the Free Syrian Army was nothing more than branding placed on a loose coalition of jihadist militias by NATO and Western media in order to attempt to convince the world that the rebels were a united monolith. Further proving my point that Syria would be no better off than Libya if the rebels were to succeed. Without having a common enemy in the regime, the rebels would find enemies amongst themselves.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

This update's gonna be a bit grim in the first part.

https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/5q3k3c/nsfw_18_video_ahrar_alsharqiya_shoots_a_civilian/
NSFW 18+ Video: Ahrar al-Sharqiya shoots a civilian from Jarablus to death on charges of working with the Syrian Democratic Forces.
"Shot" in this case means "shot multiple times".

https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/5q474p/18_nsfw_aftermath_of_isis_attack_on_sdf_west_of/
Aftermath of ISIS attack on SDF West of Raqqa. 19 KIA, and at least two of them look like child soldiers.
This is a pretty gory album, click with serious caution.

ISIS emir of Al Khafsa turned himself in to SDF's Manbij Military Council:
https://twitter.com/eliasshahod1991/status/824256964691709952

On to better news:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/5q5o3q/jabhat_thuwar_alraqqas_engineering_battalion/
Jabhat Thuwar al-Raqqa's Engineering battalion removed the IEDs and other explosive remnants that were left by ISIS.

Video shows some progress made in rebuilding Kobanê - [04:30]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hBOb01f12k

Ara News on a growing phenomenon in Kobanê: Conversion to Christianity:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/5q4g6q/ara_news_on_a_growing_phenomenon_in_koban%C3%AA/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vAiL5EgF70
I'm hoping they release a video with english subtitles soon.

Finally, it looks like we're going to see how Trump handles Syria sooner rather than later:
https://twitter.com/charles_lister/status/824336034720841728

quote:

#Trump has ordered State & DoD to develop a plan for “safe zones” in #Syria within the next 90 days.

Unclear for now, but watch this space.

E: An addendum, CJTF-OIR has kept on doing their thing even as the power transition happens:
https://twitter.com/CJTFOIR/status/824280747150282753

quote:

Near Ar Raqqah, 20 #CJTFOIR strikes engaged 11 #ISIL tactical units and six fighting positions MORE: http://ow.ly/EeDc308ldx7
http://www.inherentresolve.mil/Port...1-25-093917-853

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 25, 2017

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Video showing the progress of reconstruction in Kobane:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hBOb01f12k

E: gently caress, missed it above.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 26, 2017

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Trump has the ISIS situation totally sussed out:

https://twitter.com/EliotHiggins/status/824530936821850112

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Right, taking Iraq's oil. All of it.

How.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

WarpedNaba posted:

How.

I would assume by bribing the oil ministry like everyone else has to do.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's just for safekeeping!

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

thatfatkid posted:

Looks like the recent "ceasefire" between the regime and "FSA" has been a strategic master-stroke for the regime. It's allowed them to consolidate their now much stronger overall position and begin to repair damaged areas and allow the majority of their forces to get some much needed recuperation.

And all that while allowing the inherent divisions within the "FSA" to fester to a point where the 2 largest factions are in open conflict with each other. Thus proving that the Free Syrian Army was nothing more than branding placed on a loose coalition of jihadist militias by NATO and Western media in order to attempt to convince the world that the rebels were a united monolith. Further proving my point that Syria would be no better off than Libya if the rebels were to succeed. Without having a common enemy in the regime, the rebels would find enemies amongst themselves.

Nobody has ever included JaN and Ahrar in with the FSA, not even the groups themselves, and the existence of these groups is the biggest reason that Assad is alive right now and not buried in the rubble of his palace. You're agreeing with NATO and framing it as opposition. Christ you're dense.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So like a three weeks ago the Iraqi army announced an offensive towards Rawa and Al Qaim, along the Euphrates, supported by tribal militia. Has anything come out of it? It seems there are no news coming from that front.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Volkerball posted:

Nobody has ever included JaN and Ahrar in with the FSA, not even the groups themselves, and the existence of these groups is the biggest reason that Assad is alive right now and not buried in the rubble of his palace. You're agreeing with NATO and framing it as opposition. Christ you're dense.

Oh right so the jihadist militias that form the backbone of the Syrian rebels/opposition/FSA were never actually fighting the regime and are actually the reason Assad is still in power? So who exactly were the regime fighting in Aleppo again then? And you call me dense :raise:

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

WarpedNaba posted:

How.

His argument is that the US should have seized the oil as part of the Iraq war and kept it to pay for their cost of the war - This might sound eerily like what actual conquerors like the Romans did way back when, but it's literally what Trump is suggesting.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Brown Moses posted:

Trump has the ISIS situation totally sussed out

Well, it's not like this is the first time he's had this idea (I know, Cracked and posted before, but it's baffling all the times).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy-k3cVe3Wc&t=193s

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

thatfatkid posted:

Oh right so the jihadist militias that form the backbone of the Syrian rebels/opposition/FSA were never actually fighting the regime and are actually the reason Assad is still in power? So who exactly were the regime fighting in Aleppo again then? And you call me dense :raise:

Aside from ISIS, most of those groups did focus on fighting the regime, but the FSA is distinct. The opposition started to break into factions throughout 2012 and 2013 as it grew, and groups like JaN started to rise up, but right from the get go, they made clear they were distinct and not under the FSA umbrella. The groups have fought each other many times, so trying to claim they are one and the same is as intellectually dishonest as it gets.

And yeah, it is the fault of those groups Assad is in power, because it made countries like the US hesitant to intervene on behalf of the revolution. You can point to the fact that the US trained like 50 dudes all you want, but the fact is that the US recognized JaN and its ideologically aligned groups and labeled them terrorists immediately. The US could've brought down the regime in a matter of weeks if it so chose to, but Obama was using all your same arguments to explain why they couldn't. And Assad recognized that, and that's why he spent the last several years bolstering jihadist forces at the expense of people who supported freedom and equality. You're not opposing the US by claiming everyone in Syria who opposes a bloodthirsty tyrant is a jihadist. You couldn't be shilling any harder for them. Assad is just another in a long line of dictators they've happily left in power in the name of security.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

thatfatkid posted:

No I'm calling you a stupid idiot motherfucker.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Volkerball posted:

And Assad recognized that, and that's why he spent the last several years bolstering jihadist forces at the expense of people who supported freedom and equality.

What evidence is there of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Enjoy posted:

What evidence is there of this

He doesn't have any, as usual.

It was Turkey and the Gulf States that were supplying and financing the jihadist groups, but of course he handwaves that away and tries to blame everything on Assad.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 26, 2017

• Locked thread