Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamsque
May 31, 2009

Finlander posted:

I'm noticing long pauses where he's fiddling around with something, and a second voice.
I'm guessing he's prerecorded the speech, and is using it as a cheat sheet, or something.
Whatever it is that he's doing, it's just poor form.

You're over-hearing the translator's feed, which is a few seconds ahead of the broadcast so he can translate at the same time CQ is speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
edit: what he said

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

There seems to be a second translator in the background. What language is being spoken here?

The translator hears the audio a second before we see it so he can keep up.

Edit: gently caress me

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

"Some people haven't heard, so forgive me for repeating it..."

Jack Napier
Aug 5, 2010

by Ozma

EllisD posted:

It's like some psychotic parasite has landed itself in Qaddafi's brain and is working overtime. I wonder if he'll namedrop killdozer?

The Brazilian mind control wasp has evolved. :aaa:

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
hah, people wandering through the background like he's part of the scenerary now.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
So where are his hot amazon bodyguards and why haven't any of them castrated the fucker, yet?

Pajser fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 22, 2011

pincky
Oct 28, 2010
oops technical difficulty, let me start over!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Finlander posted:

I'm noticing long pauses where he's fiddling around with something, and a second voice.
I'm guessing he's prerecorded the speech, and is using it as a cheat sheet, or something.
Whatever it is that he's doing, it's just poor form.

I think that's coming from the simultaneous translator's speakers.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I have to go home from work, I assumed this would be LONG over by now. Dammit, Gadaffi, hurry up.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

There seems to be a second translator in the background. What language is being spoken here?

Sometimes when you do diplomatic translations, the speech is read/recorded and played about 2-3 seconds prior so the translators can stay in tune with the actual speaker.

That said, I have no idea why that voice is turned up to 11.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Who would we follow? Somebody with a beard? Impossible!

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
Someone with a beard? Impossible!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Hahahah:

"Why follow someone with a beard? Impossible!"

Now we see where this all comes from.

Finlander
Feb 21, 2011

Jamsque posted:

You're over-hearing the translator's feed, which is a few seconds ahead of the broadcast so he can translate at the same time CQ is speaking.

Right, thanks.
Those pauses still remain, though. That, when coupled with the general incoherency of the speech, is still very bad form.

This guy is not very good at giving speeches.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
Gaddafi for president! At least we would have a laugh. :v:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Other dictators should pay attention, the old master is putting on a clinic.

ShortStack
Jan 16, 2006

tinystax
Did his speech actually end or did AJE just throw in the towel?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

ShortStack posted:

they quit

loud dildo
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

ShortStack posted:

BBC and Al Jazeera both cut to other things so I assume its over.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I think we've hit on the dude's master plan: He's going to talk every last protester in the country into submission.

L-Boned
Sep 11, 2001

by FactsAreUseless
His speeches sound like my 93 year old grandma's voicemails.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have to wonder how anyone could have allowed this guy to lead a country considering how batshit insane he is. I don't mean the people themselves since obviously they didn't "let" him, but how can his supporters possibly buy into his insane ramblings? I mean I imagine he's paying them a great deal but surely at least one of them must have realized that they could just shoot him and take over leading the country and have access to his wealth.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Finlander posted:

Right, thanks.
Those pauses still remain, though. That, when coupled with the general incoherency of the speech, is still very bad form.

This guy is not very good at giving speeches.

Sometimes quantity has a quality of its own. :v:

During his 90 minute UN speech, he would stop every now and then to study his hand written notes. "Oh, did I mention my website yet? There you can read my thoughts about biodynamic camel raising and JFK!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

BaconBits posted:

BBC and Al Jazeera both cut to other things so I assume its over.

It's not over, he's still going.

e- he's screaming now

e2- ok now its over

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Godwin's Law applies even to AJE, apparently. He is rambling like a Hitler.

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010
I think I understand it all now. The source of his madness, his frustration, is his inability to grow a real beard.

I can relate. Sometimes it drives me a bit crazy too...

Not to those extremes though. Not cool.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
aww, i wanted more dictatorial ranting livefeed. Couldn't have held out for 10 more minutes, AJE?

Iolite
May 9, 2009
He mentioned repeating a poem so others could hear it, so I think BBC and AJE said gently caress it and cut it off for now.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

quadratic posted:

Thanks, that is awesome.

Anyone know where to find a larger version of this picture from the OP?

edit: Some other good pictures at that guy's Flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefangeens/

I know we were all transfixed by that trainwreck but did anyone ever find a bigger version of this pic?

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?
Aw, they cut out the feed right before he got to the part where he blamed Betty Crocker for destroying the Incas in an attempt to seize control of the Libyan Pie Industry.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
I used to wonder what I should put for my avatar to represent madness, but there is only one option now. There can not be any level of insanity further than Muammar Gaddafi after that speech.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I would watch an hour of Ghaddafi a day if he weren't killing people wholesale.

The Beck-Ghaddafi Hour would be a magical talk news program that I would watch with some devotion.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Petey posted:

I know we were all transfixed by that trainwreck but did anyone ever find a bigger version of this pic?

Slighty bigger and clearer: http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/infocus/egyptchange021011/e45_11015307.jpg

but even bigger would be cool.

Monday Averted
Jun 12, 2010

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I used to wonder what I should put for my avatar to represent madness, but there is only one option now. There can not be any level of insanity further than Muammar Gaddafi after that speech.

Gaddafi doing the horny parrot sway would be a hell of an avatar, actually.

Slantedfloors
Apr 29, 2008

Wait, What?

Omnicarus posted:

The Beck-Ghaddafi Hour would be a magical talk news program that I would watch with some devotion.

My God. This is genius.

B -"...and that's why the Muslim Communists want to control American's cereal supply. Your thoughts, Muamar?"
G- "Rainmelon Rat India Snozberry!"

Slantedfloors fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 22, 2011

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Just woke up and caught the last of his speech.

Anyone have a map of the areas he still controls?

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

Did he take off in a golf cart?

I caught the last 10 minutes of that and all I could hear was a total word salad.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I have to wonder how anyone could have allowed this guy to lead a country considering how batshit insane he is. I don't mean the people themselves since obviously they didn't "let" him, but how can his supporters possibly buy into his insane ramblings? I mean I imagine he's paying them a great deal but surely at least one of them must have realized that they could just shoot him and take over leading the country and have access to his wealth.

I often wonder the exact same thing. It even implies to dictatorships like Stalin, where it's very clear the even being close to him doesn't mean you're safe. It's a very strong human instinct for a clear social hierarchy and loyalty to a leader. It's fascinating really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Live transcript from NowLebanon, probably not entirely accurate, but still.
http://www.nowlebanon.com/NewsArticleDetails.aspx?ID=243298

• Locked thread