Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ham posted:

Not just that, Al Adly, the minister of interior is being investigated for coordination of/collaboration in the new year's eve church bombing which killed 23 Egyptians, the government blamed that on palestinian islamists.

Thought I cross-post your post this from the old thread, because it's so fresh...

Ham posted:

Major news out of Egypt: Habib Al-Adly, former Minister of Interior, responsible for most deaths during the revolution and for releasing prisoners and ordering all police districts to abandon their posts paving the way for major looting has been arreted, and so has former Minister of Tourism Zuhair Garana and former Minister of Housing Ahmad Al-Maghrabi. Also, Ahmad Ezz, one of the most hated men in Egypt and a steel tycoon who engineered the 2010 parliamentary elections is also under arrest.

These men have also had all their assets and their families' assets siezed and are all on no-fly lists.

EDIT: Wow, Habib Al Adly is also under investigation for orchestrating this terror bombing on a church in alexandria: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Alexandria_bombing

I'm actually reeling from this. It's just so unbelievable. And then I remember that this bombing was one of those talking points about what would happen if Mubarak fell and the Muslim Brotherhood took over.

Turns out Mubarak's men actually did that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apology posted:

And then THIS guy, who seems to be interpreting the protests in terms of teabag fortunes:

I honestly don't know whether or not to delete this guy from the list. He's apparently quite a rabble rouser usually, but lately it's all been teabag posts. He may get with the program and start reporting. Also the teabag posts are amusing me a little.

Coded messages? "The chair is against the wall", "John has a long moustache", all that rot.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Geek Icon posted:

It's sad... but hardly anyone in the other GCC countries really care about what's going on in Bahrain right now. The royal families have declared their support for Bahrain's Emir, and no one is surprised at all by all that. Everyone else is just going on their lives, some more shallow than others.
I read a letter in Dubai's local paper, Khaleej Times. This one local woman called the protests "fashionable" and needless. But then again, the local papers aren't even reporting on the the violence being used in Bahrain.

I just saw that video it's just... depressing. There is no solidarity in the Middle East, none whatsoever. :(

I'm hoping some poo poo gets stirred up in Dubai. It would be great if all the guest workers went on strike.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Narmi posted:

Most goverments are wary of taking sides until everything is over. Ther are a lot of politics at play, which makes it really hard to stand up to the governments here. Hillary Clinton recently called a press conference denouncing the violence and saying the people had a right to protest peacefully, but reaffirming that the US supports the Bahrain government (but then again you can read this thread to see how much she believes that).

What exactly would Bahrain do if we sided with the protesters? Kick us out?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Toplowtech posted:

It's getting far worse with Sarkozy. There is a current diplomatic row between Mexico and France because Sarkozy decided to dedicate the "Year of Mexico in France" (it's a yearly joint cultural celebration event in France with a new country each year and this year, it's Mexico's turn) to a French woman who is currently serving a 60 years sentence on kidnapping charges in Mexico. The Mexican government decided to withdraw. Sarkozy is the smoothest diplomat since Kaiser Wilhelm II.

A bit of a derail, but I'm hoping Mexico goes back and puts those festivals on, instead the Mexicans dedicate their side of the deal to the crushing defeat of French forces at the Battle of Puebla. It'll be like Cinco De Mayo every day for that year.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Astrolite posted:

Driving them is pretty easy. Firing the main gun would be a bit more difficult, unless it's a very old model.

Yeah, it's not like the entire male population of the country didn't serve in the armed forces.

Chade Johnson posted:

Lol if you think Gadaffi won't find refuge in Burkina Faso or some lovely country

Yeah, Gadaffi will like run to France or Italy, where he can live in exile in luxury.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Paradox Personified posted:

Also, a new relevant article:
http://www.allfacebook.com/egyptian-baby-girl-named-facebook-after-revolution-2011-02

As the url indicates, a man from Egypt (Jamal Ibrahim) named his daughter Facebook Jamal Ibrahim.

What are good analogies for events in the past about people being named after revolutionary stuff? Heh.

In Sub-Saharan Africa, boys were named "Kalash" after the Kalashnikov AK-47.

This is, obviously, a better sign of things to come. :unsmith:

benito posted:

Someone here did this as a Photoshop a while back (sorry, don't remember who). Babar went to Europe, became Westernized, and returned to rule his African kingdom, with the supposed support of the colonial power. Some have criticized the book as trying to gloss over the often bloody and messy history of French involvement in Africa:

Holy poo poo. That's a blast from the past. I did that about a year ago. I forgot what the thread was, something about "real" children's books.

It's nice to see someone saved it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Xandu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JosiAgoiWow

Weapon used against protesters in Benghazi.

That's an FN-303 Less-Lethal Launcher, made by the Belgian arms company, Fabrique Nationale.

They're essentially high-powered paintball guns, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be capable of killing someone. The Boston PD had all of theirs destroyed back in 2007 because of a lawsuit stemming from an officer missing a target and hitting an innocent bystander in the eye, killing her, during the near-riot following the Red Sox winning the World Series in 2004.

e:fb

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

If Mohamed Bouazizi doesn't become Time's Man of the Year for 2011, then that whole publication isn't worth the paper it's printed on.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Darth123123 posted:

Libya has WMD right?

They gave them up decades ago, and it was just chemical weapons, no nukes or biologicals.

If he still had them, he'd be recreating Halabja in Benghazi and Tripoli right now.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Intel5 posted:

I'm just ranting here, but we spend billions on the latest and greatest military toys, and now we have a veritable carte blanche of international opinion to use them to save lives, and our president is standing around holding his dick. We could have air superiority over Libya within hours, it may do fuckall for stuff that's happening on the ground, but they wouldn't be able to drop bombs on their own people anymore.

Actually, air superiority would also mean that their anti-aircraft guns would be more concentrated shooting down aircraft that are violating Libyan airspace and shooting down Libya aircraft than chopping up civilians. Which would also mean that the same AAA would soon be priority targets as soon as they engaged.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ace Oliveira posted:

The Iraqis weren't trying to topple Saddam's government themselves, though.

Well, the Kurds and Shi'a tried to do that in Gulf War 1 and look where that got them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Here's the big question: if there is (and likely will be) an intervention into Libya that unseats Gadaffi, what message does that send to Bahrain, Yemen, and other nations? Because everything Gadaffi is doing is being done on a smaller scale in those places.

Bahrain might not be using anti-aircraft guns on people, but besieging hospitals and beating protesters unrecognizable comes close.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Greyhawk posted:

Shouldn't your skies be filled with Italian fighter planes? I've read that Italia has put its air bases on full alert and sending its planes south earlier today.

Now that I think about it, it's likely standard operation procedure so the Italian air force can prevent Libyan planes from bombing merchant ships or even Italian soil. I know, it's not likely but the situation is so unstable now that anything is possible.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Nenonen posted:

AA guns are always dual purpose. Other posters have mentioned the use of heavy (German 88mm and 128mm) flak guns against tanks in WW2, but heavy AA is not used any more as missiles have replaced them. Rapid firing small calibre AA guns however are still very popular, and they are also very effective anti-infantry weapons due to their high rates of fire, especially as mounted versions such as the Soviet ZSU-23/4 Shilka (four barrels of 23mm caliber). With just one second burst, it can fire ~15 exploding shells whoops, I'm stupid, that's just for one barrel. With all four barrels it will fire 60 grenades per second. And it impacts a large area.

When used against demonstrators in a street, it's the same as putting people through a meatgrinder, and I don't understand how anyone would be able to pull the trigger against their own people?!? But I also don't understand how anyone can suicide bomb schools and poo poo, and it still happens. :(

In World War 2, the Americans used this Quad-gun .50 machinegun setup as a towed anti-aircraft gun or mounted in a half-track. They expected heavy German air presence inhibiting action on the ground so they made lots of them. However, after the Falaise pocket, German airpower was almost non-existent, so, they used the guns for clearing out snipers and enemy emplacements. One tactic was to find the tree a sniper was in, aim for the trunk, and cut the tree down with machinegun fire and have the sniper fall into it.

The Allies had a name for the Quad-.50s.

They called them "meat-choppers".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Daeren posted:

:eng101: Because he wanted to seem like a man of the people, a humble leader of the Jamahiriya, rather than 'overlord for life.'

I did a research paper on Qaddafi last year. It's loving crazy how fast he's gone from "rock-solid dictatorship with only minor grumblings" to "oh poo poo BOMB EVERYTHING"

Wasn't he a junior officer in the (original) revolution? I forget what rank he had prior.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ewan posted:

France are part of NATO.

It's tricky with them, 1967 withdrawal and all, but yes, as of 2009, they are currently part of NATO.

Don't they have the DeGaulle stationed in Toulon?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Egypt's modern air force is as large as Israel's but I guess they lack the experience and knowhow. Still think they could keep Libya's skies clear, and I think their intervention would not be as hated.

They are probably too busy with inner issues now, though. But it would be symbolically nice.

The Egyptian air force was in Mubarak's pocket, remember? They're the ones who did the low-altitude flyby of Tahrir Square to harass the protesters.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ducky posted:

This would be even funnier if the guy lead that van into a bollard.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Patter Song posted:

Libyan naval vessel near Malta wants to defect.

It probably doesn't have anything worthwhile armaments like cruise missiles on it, because it would likely be pulling a Potemkin on Gadaffi right now.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

After that 60 Minutes interview, I thought she was going to stay out of the spotlight, because, I mean, it's great her son is a hero and all, but I got the impression she'd rather have an alive son than a dead martyr.

Then again, maybe she realized that it's all bigger than him.

Anyway, good work.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Namarrgon posted:

No guys we can't just interfere! Those Libyans have to do it themselves!

Personally I like to imagine the UN's sole purpose is the prevention of WW3, makes it feel as if they are doing a good job.

If everything Alex Jones and the NWO nutters said about the UN was true, I think I would probably respect the organization a lot more.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BIG HORNY COW posted:

One problem with a no-fly zone is that the Libyan AA network would immediately be involved. If you want total air superiority its gonna involve SEAD and that means attacking ground targets - missile launchers and the associated radar systems, as well as static and self-propelled AA guns.

So, that would mean that those Libyan AA guns would 1) not be chopping up large numbers of protesters and 2) be blown the gently caress up, preventing them from chopping up large numbers of protesters.

I see no problem with this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Apology posted:

There must be a handbook or something out there :( Note also the old whip-em-with-an-electrical-cord-or-cable trick. Gruesome.

Sound like strappado, also known as Palestinian hanging.

If I remember correctly, the dead guy the contractors posed with at Abu Ghraib died from being beaten while hung like that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I think if that happened, it would've still persisted because of the American presence in Japan.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sivias posted:

That makes it sound like they're sending out one aircraft at a time, and their Air force is only like 7 aircraft strong.

Looking at the Libyan Air Force page on Wikipedia, that number might be closer to the truth than you think.

quote:

Aircraft: Dassault Mirage F1BD/ED
Type: Multi role fighter
In service: 12
Notes: some at Gamal Abdul El Nasser Air Base, south of Tobruk. Two used by senior colonels to defect to Malta in February 2011 after being instructed to bomb protesters.

That page also says they have over 200 Aero L-39ZOs and Soko G-2s, which are Czech and Yugoslavian light attack fighter/bomber trainers, but they were also made in the '60s, so who knows how many are still flight-worthy.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sivias posted:

What the gently caress has this guy spending all his oil money on for the last 42 loving years!?

No kidding. He supposedly has 124 multi-role versions of the Mig-23, but the note to the side of that says "Most are grounded", which means anywhere from that they're being cannibalized for parts or they're fuel-hogs that they can't fly most of them.

Going back to the no-fly zone talk, it's starting to sound like it's easier and easier to do. Almost like sending 2 Eurofighters and wiping out the entire airforce, Iron Eagle style.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MotoMind posted:

I'd like to think that someone somewhere in Libya will be playing Front 242 - Funkadafi to mark the momentous occasion of Gadhafi's fall from power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jPsYAkKzjw

Dance of the leader!

It is sad that Gadhafi outlived his best tribute. An era ends at last.

This has been popping up in my playlist while on shuffle so often over the last few days that I take it as divine providence than mere coincidence.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Spiky Ooze posted:

It's nice to see Benghazi is happy as hell right now, like Egypt was:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgP0Gro52c8

Holy poo poo, that's beautiful. I was going to say that Wedeman say that he felt like an Allied soldier entering a liberated European town was a bit of hyperbole, but, gently caress, he can actually say that.

Who is that guy in the fatigues and the boonie hat? A rebelling Libyan soldier or Wedeman's personal protection? He's seen giving the peace sign to the camera and carrying the anti-Qaddaffi Libyan flag, but, having not really seen what a Libyan soldier wears, I have no idea.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Probably Hates You posted:

So what happens to all of these assets that are seized and frozen after Gheddafi is eventually captured/killed?

It's a gray area, but, and I've brought this up before during the Egypt protests, that, following what happened with Ceausescu's estate following his deposing and execution, guys like Mubarak and Qaddaffi are so entwined with the state that anything owned by the state is technically their property. The reverse of this is also true.

Once deposed, if Qaddaffi or any of his family try to claim they own said seized assets, they may (likely will) be asked for receipts of ownership. Since they fled a country and said documents may have been burned, or, more likely, the items were purchased under expense accounts that ultimately go to the national treasury, the assets default to the state.

The same state that just deposed them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

smn posted:

Spotted this innovation via the twitterfall #tripoli stream (original link lost, sorry):

"Alternative to Molotov cocktail for #Libya: Use a Tennis ball, fill it with benzine using syringe, put a screw in it, tie a rope around the screw long enough not to burn yourself, soak the ball in benzine for a short time, light it up and throw toward the police, it will explode in 10-15 seconds, MUCH more efficient than Molotov cocktails."

But, what are they going to call it? A Tripoli High-ball?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Namarrgon posted:

That would be a nice dent in my student debts...

Just gotta make sure that they pay up front.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Why are they even bothering with sanctions? Qaddafi will like not survive the weekend, let alone the week or so that it'll take to get the sanctions implemented.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Finlander posted:

Yeah, I suppose you're right. A new word is required. No reason not to do that, either.
Since the word "genocide" comes from genes, ergo, ethnicity, nationality etc., eradication of political organizations, or parties, would be, umm... Partycide? No, that's dumb.

Anyways, the UN guy spoke. Nothing really new, I think.

A couple already exist. Democide usually means "government-sanctioned murder of it's own people", while politicide can be used to describe mass-murdering political opponents (although it can also mean the death of a political system, like the dismantlement of the apartheid state in South Africa, or political suicide).

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The Brown Menace posted:

Ayman just replied to my Tweet. :allears:

We're burning this motherfucker down guys, hide you Ghaddafi, hide yo mercenaries, hide yo foreign indifference, they revolting against erryone out here.

Please tell me this got on to the air.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

bich posted:

Qadaffi's next step is to have all his supporters wear werewolf costumes and say that Libya is haunted so everyone runs away and he can buy up all the property for cheap

And he would've gotten away with it if it hadn't been for those meddling demonstrators.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Second-largest refinery in the Middle East just got blown up.

In Iraq.

Apparently, it was big enough that my friend's mom called him just a couple minutes ago.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 27, 2011

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sivias posted:

Widespread protests in China could have as widespread economic and political consequences as protests in Saudi Arabia.

Egyptian- or Libyan-intensity demonstrations in China would loving wreck the American economy, considering how much poo poo we've outsourced to them.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sivias posted:

Sounds like the fall of the Mayan empire. They built too big and too fast for their society to sustain. Overpopulation, peasant revolt, and the decline in trade. Their whole society vanished from the records and dispersed into the wilderness.

I wonder if the Mayans saw their inevitable collapse coming.

The end of the Mayan long-count calender in 2012 is around the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Bring it on. I dunno about others, but I am more than happy to endure a (more) lovely American/worldwide economy if it is caused by this wonderful, ever-growing wave of revolution we are witnessing. In fact, it'd be pretty loving trivial compared to the sacrifices of each and every one of these people who are willingly risking/giving their lives for the freedom and the futures of others.

Actually, this is how I view it:

Secretary: Boss, I've got some bad news!
Big Boss: What is it?
Secretary: Oil prices have increased up out distribution costs by 300%!
Big Boss: That's okay. We'll just jack up our prices to keep our profit margins.
Secretary: But that's not all of it. The workers in China are out protesting for higher wages and equality! The sweatshops are on fire or have been taken over by the workers! The entire stock has been looted!
Big Boss: That's horrible.
Secretary: Even if the situation stabilizes, we're looking at an enormous cost. We can never go back to the way we do business in China. It'll be like having to pay the equivalent for minimum wage to do business over there from now on. That and benefits. And overseas distribution costs due to increased oil prices.
Big Boss: Well, because of the increased cost of distribution and manufacturing, I guess we'll have no choice but to return back to the United States. Luckily, we've weakened the unions enough that we can still make a profit.
Secretary: Well, sir, about that...

Big Boss: :suicide:

• Locked thread