Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have already witnessed Facebook posts about it. It seemed more about blaming Obama for "arming al-Qaeda" than blaming these rebels.

It is a horrendous act. It destroys bridges between cultures and religions. It also makes it harder for non-shithead Muslims to be treated with respect and not contempt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

As someone who is just barely getting into this situation, what exactly am I seeing on the Reuters feed? I know it is Tahrir Square but what is in the middle? What are they yelling and are the fireworks if any significance?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Well I am glad to see that the Wahhabis are still angry extremists. Their input into this situation will be useful.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I do not get too upset about this since McCain had probably already heard the info during his meeting with Obama. It also seems similar to the report of Obama playing cards before (or even during the bin Laden raid).

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

So according to that CSMonitor, would it end up being Hezbollah/Hamas fighters going against Al Qaeda fighters?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Muffiner posted:

If CSM has Hezbullah and Hamas on one side, and Al Qaeda on the other they have no idea what they're talking about.

I am sorry, I meant to put Hezbollah and non-Hamas Palestinian militants.

The article states that Iran is pushing for those groups to get involved in Syria if the US gets involved. Combine that with the fact that some Syrian rebel groups are AQ affiliated, it would seem that the "tribalism" mentality between factions of Jihadist group could come to a head greatly.

Could this lead to AQ going after Hezbollah and Iran (and simply claiming that they are detriments to the Muslim world)?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

The "Muslim world" isn't one great big happy family where everyone's on the same side, nor are all "Jihadist" groups allies. Al-Qaeda and Hezbollah already don't get along very well; the former is a Sunni group while the latter is a Shia group, so their relationship is poor and Al-Qaeda basically sees Hezbollah as heretics. There's been reports of low-level militant-to-militant cooperation, but their leaderships completely dismiss the idea of working together.

I know that but for the most part, these groups "stay out" of each others territory and focus on "outside" threats. I always took it that these groups (although they see each other as threats to their power grab) work on taking care of the outside threats and when they have taken out the outside threats and gain control of the region they want, then they will begin the real fighting between factions.

I was wondering if this conflict could lead to those groups actively fighting each other much sooner than thought.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Of course he is dead, he died in 1999 due to kidney failure.

That was my favorite 9/11 Reuther conspiracy.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Baloogan posted:

oh hey its page 1967, can anyone tell me what happened in the middle east in 1967?

World peace?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I would like to thank this thread for keeping me up to date on the Middle East in general. In between Brown Mose's posts and fade5's posts, I have a decent but never completely understanding of what is going on.

When my sister shares a War criminal Allen West post and I respond with that information, you would think that would help her understand. No, it does not because it makes it look like Obama is doing something.

Thank you though for helping me better understand the situation actually going on where you are personally invested.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I read an article that stated that the leader of ISIS has banned the execution videos that helped bring them to prominence in the world news media. Here is one of the articles:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/isis-islamic-state-chief-abu-bakr-al-baghdadi-bans-gruesome-execution-videos-1511497

I have no doubt that the executions will continue, they are just no longer going to use them for propaganda. Why would they make that decision? Are they receiving backlash from local entities? Is there anything that has happened recently that may be the reason for this?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I love how my Facebook feed is filed with "if only the US would do something about ISIS". As a long time lurker, I have been linking this thread and telling them to read the last 20 pages or so.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Didn't the Iraqi Air Force destroy this convoy? Fox News is claiming that it was a US air strike that did it.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I am guessing that Israel announcing that they will take in wounded refugees is a power play against the Russian influence in the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I like how right wing pundits are using this interview with a Syrian chemical attack survivor from 2013 to attack Obama/Clinton and to say that Trump is right.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/446578/watch-syrian-attack-survivor-surprises-cnn-appreciation-president-trump

"We do not want to be refugees" is not the same as "do not accept refugees".

• Locked thread