Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Haha, Lizzie is great. She's a lot more fun than that Iraqi information minister was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3LU3fR5PKk

That gunfire in the background? Oh that's spontaneous celebratory gunfire over how the rebels have been evicted from the city. :downs:

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Young Freud posted:

Where the hell is she reporting from?

Honestly, if that footage was live, I'd have love to see some rebel technicals whiz by there with them hooting and hollaring "Allahu Ackbar".

Oh those are holograms projected by NATO aircraft in their obvious ploy to panic the populace.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Uglycat posted:

This is the opposite of good advice.

Your friend is not just a cult member - she's a vector for infection. Inoculate. I second the request for a comprehensive debunking of the spinster.

Isn't Lizzie self-debunking though? In a couple of days, it will be rather clear that Gadaffi's forces have not, in fact, laid a brilliant trap and are not, in fact about to win.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh gently caress. Is that legit?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Man, Russia Today is calling the journalists in Rixos 'CIA and MI6 spies' now. I hope this isn't the setup for something horrible.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Don't these guys usually have a bunch of body doubles?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Is he wearing a different shirt to what he had on with his 'interview' at the Rixos?

Anyway, I'd note though that NATO probably has Tripoli under intense air survelliance, so unless we see any notes of alarm from them, I don't think we're looking at an 'everything is upside down now!?!!?'

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Yes, that definitely seems to be a different shirt. Does the time frame seem suspicious, too? By my reckoning he has about half an hour to get from the Rixos to where apparently his 'spontaneous' cheering crowd, complete with flags was. One way or another, it seems to be a carefully set up thing.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

White phosphorous can be used to set up a smoke screen perfectly legally, if that's what you mean?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Arkane posted:

:siren:

Hopefully that is true...but it still might be a sticky situation if the area around the hotel isn't safe.

Edit...More:

Matthew Chance just tweeted:

quote:

Rixos crisis ends. All journalists are out! #rixos

EDIT: ^^^ Stay classy bro

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 24, 2011

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Golbez posted:

Speaking of Lizzie, her blog is empty. It was there yesterday, most recent post Aug 19. Now there's no posts.

Does that mean she's re-evaluating her premises and drawing new conclusions....? Nah.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

In the end, no one is going to want to deal with the consequences of getting foreign journalists killed, for a regime that is rapidly ceasing to exist.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Sir John Falstaff posted:

I think this article has it right:

http://www.cjr.org/feature/what_is_russia_today.php

Weird article. For a piece on 'what is Russia Today', they spend 50% of it talking about something only tenuously related about the 2008 elections?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

Tom Rayner of Sky News

They need to make sure any document finds are kept intact. Some careless idiot torching government ministries could be very damaging in the long term.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Chuck Boone posted:

Seeing all the videos of people going through Gaddafi's luxurious homes makes me wonder what people like Lizzie Phelan and pro-Gaddafi folks have to say about their existence. Gaddafi and his family lived in luxury their whole lives while the rest of the country had very little. How can anyone justifiy that level of inequality?

Enh. Surely that sort of thing is pretty par for the course globally. Politicians may make a point of pretending to be frugal and down with the people, but I don't think people really expect it. Giant gold statues of themselves is pretty low down the list of crazy-dictator-crimes.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

By very thin in numbers, he means controlling a city with half a million in population, losing six thousand under Gaddafi's repression, large street protests in Tripoli... I'm not sure what would satisfy this guy.

The west did oppose Gaddafi in the 80s and 90s, but the 2000s saw lots of attempts at sucking up to him, including weapons sales (some organized by McCain of all people) releasing libyan terrorists, and so on. Gaddafi really wasn't a Saddam situation. It really doesn't make sense to see things that way.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Golbez posted:

I remember hearing about how the U.S. Embassy in Iran shredded documents.

In a country known for its ancient and excellent weaving tradition.

Those documents weren't remotely destroyed.

Makes you wonder if they haven't figured out a newer way of destroying documents these days. Shredders are hardly effective, and burning is pretty apparent from the outside (and documents can be recovered if improperly burned).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I like Libya360 for the complex web of conspiracies they draw up.

http://libya360.wordpress.com/2011/08/25/rt-shills-for-the-cia-mi6-and-nato/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

These people are the same people who think 9/11 was done with holograms. I'm sure when this is all over they'll declare that Libya never existed in the first place.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Drinking 'tea *and* coffee'? How perfidious.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Isn't Lizzie in Malta now? Seems a bit late for martyrdom.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Bellicose Buddha posted:

Okay so I'm trying to play catch up and was hunting around for links and such... Who is Lizzie Phalen? She read like a crazy person... "Transition to Fear"? NATO Mercenaries? The hell? Sounds like a conspiracy theorist.

Lizzie Phelan (or Lizzie Cocker) is a British 'independent journalist' working for the Voltaire Network, a news website about such things like the Truth Behind 9/11, how wikileaks is a CIA plant, how the US government is suppressing antigravity and all that jazz that certain elements of the extreme isolationist leftcomplete lunatics like to believe in.

She's been mentioned in this thread due to her reports for the Putin-controlled Russia Today English language satellite news network, which saw fit to use her as a special correspondent reporting on things like how the victory of Gadaffi is imminent, how gunfire heard approaching Tripoli was NATO 'sound bombs' or 'celebratory fire' from Gadaffi forces, how the rebel march on Tripoli was a 'brilliant' plan by the regime to trap the 'rats' where they can be defeated and so on. She ended up being held hostage with a bunch of other more sane foreign journalists (which her Voltaire network buddies declared were actually CIA/MI6 spies) by the Gadaffi forces and eventually had to be rescued by the rebels. Not that this changed her tune...

So yeah, it's a long and continuing saga of lunacy.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 9, 2011

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

zalderach posted:

Is that computer running Windows XP? I'd rather be dead.

Imagine if it were running Windows ME...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The Syrian national council sounds effectively meaningless to me. Just a random group of dissidents getting together in a foreign country, with very little obvious credibility amongst the people suffering in Syria now. It would be very unwise for those supporting possible intervention (which is pretty drat unlikely anyway) to see these guys as some kind of new regime in waiting.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

quote:

I know I was questioning RPG use yesterday, but there is one protester in the morgue with half his chest missing, can't be bullets. #Yemen

I've heard allegations that the Yemenese are using anti-aircraft guns against protesters. I suspect this is what's causing these horrific wounds.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Can people imagine any endgame for Yemen that doesn't involve lots of people dying and horrible repression for the next few decades?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Amused to Death posted:

Ghaddafi really wasn't an ally, more of a business partner, we didn't even have diplomatic relations until a few years ago. When he said he'd voluntarily give up his WMD programs and handed over a lot of secret information to the IAEA, there was a basically an exchange of deals made between Ghaddafi and the west that got things both sides wanted. Libya, along with Syria have definitely always been the Soviet/Russian sphere of influence in the mid-east.

Given the recent revelations about MI6/CIA collaboration with the regime against libyan dissidents, I think he was more than a business partner.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

If the fact of the matter is true, the argument is not invalid...

I mean the real debate over the nuclear bombings were over whether the Japanese were really ready to surrender or not, not whether, if they weren't going to surrender, the bombings were justified.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

WHOLE DIK AND NUTS posted:

Ghadaffi will probably lead resistance in the Southern desert along with the Tuareg tribes living there. He may not have treated them well, but money talks and he still has a poo poo load of it. Given that the NTC has trouble capturing the last few Ghadaffi strongholds, they will have a rough go of it in the largely inhospitable southern desert, especially against well armed Taureg tribesmen.

What's their incentive? They'd be signing on to a fight they can't conceivably win, and pitting themselves against both the islamist and anti-islamist spheres. More likely for them to take his money, conveniently forget about whatever promises they made in getting it, then handing Ghadaffi over.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Malick23 posted:

It's almost impossible to renounce US citizenship and fighting against the US certainty does not qualify.

This is a link to the State Department and the first hit on Google Basically Anwar al-Awlaki was a US citizen, the German-Americans who fought for the Nazi were US citizens and the soldier who defected to North Korea in the 50's and spent the rest of his life making propaganda films was a US citizen whether they wanted to be or not.

quote:

A person wishing to renounce his or her U.S. citizenship must voluntarily and with intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship:

1. appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer,
2. in a foreign country (normally at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate); and
3. sign an oath of renunciation

This isn't really impossible. Inconvenient for a guy who can't just walk in to an US embassy without being arrested, sure, but far from impossible. I guess the lesson here is if you want to fight against the US, you should get the renunciation thing over and done with first so the US government can kill you perfectly legally? :) Maybe the state department should set up some kind of fast track process for wannabe militants.

Anyway this debate seems highly legalistic and rather pedantic.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 1, 2011

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Malick23 posted:

From my understanding most court cases involving the renouncement of US citizenship are rejected even if the above actions are taken. If you renounce your citizenship you reject all rights afforded a citizen including due process in a court of of law. It's kind of a Catch 22. I can't think of a single instance where someone successfully renounced citizenship but I'm not going to take the time to look it up. Most people who want to renounce citizenship do so in an attempt to avoid extradition or the payment of taxes so the US has a good reason to reject all attempts.

This a nasty derail and the last word on the topic from me.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/54863

Seems like plenty of people have renounced their citizenship.

As for court cases, those cases have ended up in court for a reason - so they shouldn't really be considered normal cases.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Well, just sitting there outside Sirte means everyone inside starves to death - probably the civilians first. Re-enacting Leningrad is hardly the more humane option.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What's the story behind Caro? I have no idea.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

What if he proves a successful warrior, performs heroically, and ends up with a seat in the new Libyan government?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

I found his blog

His last entry

This is actually sounding fairly sane. Maybe being in an actual battlefield where paranoia is actually possibly justified is doing good for him, heh.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

You say that, but wait until he's on CNN sniping Libyan babies. He should be unbanned so he can be rebanned for war crimes.

Yeah but what if he appears as War Hero American shoots Gadaffi?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

Worst excuse ever:

There's a top hatch though. Maybe he could have been sitting or standing up top?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Brown Moses posted:

AP - Raw Video: Fighters Destroy Gadhafi Symbols
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nUUqrSyX8k

quote:

it looks like the future of LIbya will be very BARBARIC AND CRUEL. MUCH WORSE THAN UNDER GADHAFI. Shooting a flag?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I assume it looks like

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Let's wait for pictures. The rebels are kinda disorganised and jittery. We've seen lots of false claims/prisoner escapes before.

• Locked thread