Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Brown Moses posted:

Assad's forces decided to start a forest fire to discourage the use of route across the Syrian-Turkish border, and it's now spread into Turkey

I expect Turkey to go to war with Syria in the next couple of months because some "last straw" type thing is bound to happen with armed forces so close to each other near the border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Read on a Turkish newspaper this morning that the army released a press release saying that after examining the pieces of wreckage, they are %100 sure the Turkish plane that was shot down was not shut down with AA fire from close range like Syria claimed.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Sivias posted:

Sorry I'm not much of a military hardware enthusiast. What are the alternatives for shooting down a reconnaissance jet of this variety, and are they more 'sinister'?

The alternative is shooting it down with a rocket and that would not fly with the "oops sorry we could not ID the craft as a Turkish, it was short range AA fire from the ground that shot it down" excuse Syria gave.

Apparently they are salvaging the bigger parts of the plane now and will give a more definitive statement later.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

mlmp08 posted:

This is pretty much flat wrong. Just because it was reportedly not shot down with AA or AAA fire, but a missile, doesn't mean they had properly identified where the aircraft is from. You can lock a missile onto all manners of aircraft without knowing what they are, how big they are, where they're from, whether or not they're armed, etc.

Even if they IFF'd the aircraft and it had a response, that means virtually nothing unless the response is listed on civil flight plans for the day or it matches the codes designated for friendly aircraft.

This doesn't mean the Syrians couldn't have known it was Turkish, but assuming that missile = they knew what it was is just wrong.

edit: also rockets != missiles

Yea except they said the flight path of the plane was no secret and Syria should have had it ID'd on their radars from the origin.

I am admittedly no expert on flight/radar systems but that is what the Turkish newspapers are saying.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, it's still possible they had it ID'd the whole time, I'm just reiterating that using a SAM in no way makes it more likely they had ID'd it than if it were shot by AA. In fact, using AA would make it even more likely they'd ID'd the aircraft through visual or electro-optical means.

Yea I am not saying you are wrong or anything. Like I said my only knowledge on this comes from reading the Turkish newspapers.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Ballz posted:

I might be wrong, but isn't Turkey vehemently against any kind of Kurdish state's existence and that pretty much an independent nation of Kurdistan will last all of a day before Turkey invades it?

Not to mention the proposed area for Kurdistan is part of Turkish soil. I am sure Turkey will just give up eastern Turkey.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I am curious to what will happen to the chemical weapons. AJ is saying White House asked Syrian government to relinquish them but I don't see that happening.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Hollis posted:

If his regime is collapsing whats to stop him from just turning those weapons over to other militant groups in the region is what I'd be more worried about. They may not be willing to use chemical weapons but turning them over to someone else is likely isn't it?

I mean whats the worst outcome chemical weapons get disseminated into the region from Syria and someone sets off a chemical bomb full of nerve gas in israel or something?

How likely is that?

Al Jazeera was just talking about this too. Apparently White House asked Syrian government to relinquish the chemical weapons in case what you said happens. Those falling in the hands of a extremist/terrorist group is the absolute worst possible outcome out of all this.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Brown Moses posted:

It's a little odd Bashar is yet to appear in TV..

He must be paranoid as gently caress right now.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

I thought VX gas was something Michael Bay made up for "The Rock", that poo poo is real? :ohdear:

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
There is no loving way its a 50cal bullet or a grenade, half the roof explodes in the video.

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things

Lammy! posted:

I can understand the FSA's rage at these soldiers who, in light of everything going on, still support Assad. They tried being peaceful in the beginning, and were met with the deaths of their neighbors and families. I don't condone it, but I understand it.

Exactly. It is easy to arm chair expert this poo poo but I imagine if soldiers killed my kid/wife/etc I would be cutting arms and legs too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Checked the last couple of pages and did not see this posted, apologies if it is a repost:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWSOIXS5o3c

quote:

VICE commissioned renowned photojournalist and videographer Robert King to embed on the front lines with the Free Syrian Army in Aleppo. War-zone chaos ensued. In this episode, Assad forces hit Al Qusayr with a rocket attack while Robert is filming - it was targeted directly.

Continue the discussion #GROUNDZEROSYRIA

Ground Zero Syria is a series where we've compiled photojournalist and videographer Robert King's footage into a series of raw, largely unedited vignettes that present a snapshot of the ancient city as it crumbles and burns while its citizens are killed indiscriminately. Watch them here over the next month and a half, culminating in the release of VICE's Syria Issue in November.

:siren: VERY graphic NSFW footage :siren:

• Locked thread