Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

sweeptheleg posted:

A college graduate that had to sell fruit to feed his family was tired of the govt loving with him so he set himself on fire.

In Tunisia. And then riots started there, and somehow got enough traction to actually oust the dictator. Then everyone else in the middle east perked up and said "Wait, we can actually do that?"

Then Egypt started and everyone else followed on after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What is China and Russia's deal with the no fly zone anyway? Why are they against it so much?

At a guess, Ghadaffi's been heavily lobbying them with promises of cheaper oil and they can see that the tide's turned against the protestors for now. China also doesn't want to be seen interfering in democracy revolts for their own reasons.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Hey Brown Moses, Xandu, and everyone else who's posted articles, thanks for acting as an RSS feed for my middle east news fix. It's nice to see all the varied sources of information as they occur as well as critical commentary, especially since I'm too lazy too sign up for twitter and learn French/Arabic and follow this stuff as it happens.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Young Freud posted:

The thing that I find interesting is that you can build such items on the cheap. Part of me wants them to put their design notes on the internet after this is all finished. There's a company in the U.S. that sells remote-weapon stations for diplomatic protection details and they're extraordinarily expensive.

Also, I'm hoping that they can build more of those Barbie-jeep remote gun platforms. Those would be hella useful in reconnoitering and assaulting Brega and Sirte without having to bring in rebels.

While I'm sure that some of the difference in cost is overcharging to a group that can afford it, remember that there's probably a marked difference between the two in terms of battery life, the amount of damage it can take, ruggedness of the optics, ability to deal with dust and debris, reliability of the firing mechanism etc. etc.

That thing's cool and cheap but doesn't look like it'd last long when it's actually being shot at, although it'll still probably be helpful.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Has anyone heard anything about the protests in Israel? The only news I've found on them are Israeli newspapers and this: http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=7129

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nenonen posted:

Probably not, the only proof for that is the claims of one person and no way to verify. Even if the claim were true, it would only mean that his mother's mother was a Jew who converted to Islam. That would make him, at most, 1/4 Jewish. Then he'd be Jewish in the same way that everyone in USA is Irish on St.Patrick's.

There is an older belief that his father was a French pilot who had a fling with his mother during WW2 while hiding with the beduins after his plane crashed behind Axis lines, and there is an actual resemblance. Again, hard to prove, short of a DNA test. But bearing in mind how there can be outrageous rumours even about Obama's origins, it is more likely that such claims are false.

Man I was reading the Freep thread before I came over here and I thought this was about Obama. Was staring at the left hand picture for a good 15 seconds trying to figure out what possible resemblance there was.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

yaffle posted:

Here's an actually funny one

Is there a link to anywhere with this guy's other work? This is pretty good.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Is qat legal in the US? I remember hearing a report from Yemen by an NPR reporter and how weird it was that basically the entire country was high from about 10 in the morning on.

Edit: NM, used the magic of wikipedia to answer my question. Anyone ever tried qat?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Pretty much every newspaper yesterday in London was leading with headlines about Marie Colvin's death.

NPR was talking about it all day as well as rebroadcasting the BBC reports.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Here's a really interesting interview with a former Al-Jazeera reporter who resigned because he feels that the organization has been used as a propaganda outlet by the Qataris especially in regards to Syria. He says he saw armed men crossing the border from Lebanon to Syria back in April and May and actually got footage of that in May and it was never aired or discussed, among other things.
http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=8106

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Apparently the military council in Egypt is reforming the government soon.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/29/world/africa/egypt-tensions/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_world

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't think anything major's going down in Tunisia, just riots by Salfis? Which is obviously bad news and they've got some issues to work out but no, y'know, blatant military coups.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2012/09/20129112108737726.html

Apparently a US diplomat was killed at the Libyan consulate.

poo poo.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
If Syria used chemical weapons it'd put Russia in a really awkward spot that would probably lead to them backing off and issuing some half-assed condemnation. Hence why Russia supposedly told Assad not to use them earlier and is probably screaming at him not to use them now.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Y'know who ELSE says that?

Ultra-orthodox Jews living in America.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Whelp, Morsi just gave the millitary arrest powers.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Wow, apparently Obama got the Israelis to apologize for the flotilla incident to Turkey. http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/03/201332215412102859.html

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Refugee camps are basically small towns that pay no taxes and have no employment base, and they're usually set up in not the greatest areas so everything has to be shipped in.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Pro-PRC Laowai please offer your expert analysis of these findings and the political conclusions you draw from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

BattleMaster posted:

I like the solution after World War 2 where the allies made the Germans clean up their own mines, and then made them march over the locations afterward to make sure that they were extra thorough.

Except the Germans, being Germans, had marked the location of every mine and kept the records. The fun came when they had to clean up other people's mines.

• Locked thread