Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Sivias posted:

What is going on!?

Everyone is going to die a little ahead of schedule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Vernii posted:

Chances are probably pretty good that (or something similar) is what happened.

Seriously. The idea is that you disable or otherwise silence the target, shove them into a vehicle, and finish rendering them harmless (to whatever degree) on the way to the POW camp (née shed). It's not super-common in guerrilla conflicts because it's a bad idea.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Totally Reasonable fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 10, 2012

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Brown Moses posted:

Think I'll do a post about this, it's worth highlighting in case anyone spots future examples. Have you got the co-ords of the site, or a link to it on Google Maps?

Note that it is entirely possible that some benefactor is commissioning fresh images from one of the commercial providers and sending it along to the FSA. The easiest way to present such imagery with surrounding context would be as an overlay in Google Earth.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

At this point, peace in Afghanistan is a fine pink mist, so I agree with the title.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Brown Moses posted:

I've been collecting videos of Scud and other large missile launches supposedly in Syria here.

I've also started seeing videos of parachuted munitions being dropped in groups of 4-6 at a low altitude around Homs recently, playlisted here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HItSz8JhpU

One thing that's interesting is the pilots are flying low, and not releasing flares, suggesting they don't see a MANPADS threat in the Homs region.

I'd guess OFAB-250ShL, with a delay fuse for laydown use. Maybe they're running out of impact/proximity fuses?

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I'm having trouble thinking of any construction that satisfies 2(b). The revised AUMF looks like it's designed to do nothing or make the president lie to congress.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Aside from the immediate timing issues, this looks like some actual diplomacy has happened. Nobody wanted Assad to use CW, then he (maybe/probably, whatever) did. The US can't really can't exert any influence other than to blow up stuff in Syria, since they have (for good reasons) no political influence there. So the US rather convincingly threatens to blow stuff up and generally ruin the CCCP Russia's friends in the country. Russia then makes a tiny concession to retain influence in Syria if/when Assad's government is there when things stop being so violent.

Call me mad, but I think that the waning powers are both trying to save face while being slightly less awful than normal.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Well, that certainly lies somewhere between interesting any horrifying. I wonder to what degree Hezbollah can be considered a state actor, and how their receipt, operation, and claimed production of a CW delivery system impacts Lebanon as a CWC signatory.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

redscare posted:

What's really crazy and hosed up is how suicide bombing has apparently transformed from a terror tactic to a military one.

It has been a military tactic since at least WWII. Also, differentiating terrorism from asymmetric warfare is a pretty difficult proposition.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

I don't think he can just put some bricks in Syria under NATO protection by saying "this is so".

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they wont kill him quick. if they have any sense, they will kill his family infront of him slowly, then crucify him.

I hope you can be moved to a place where you can get the help you need.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

Nenonen posted:

Molon labe by the pussy

molon labia, if you will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

https://www.cia.gov/library/abbottabad-compound/04/04EECD5C76FCA0E4F98E122FE127F5AA_Windows_Logon_Sound.wav

That feeling when someone is being intentionally obtuse.

• Locked thread