Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIR499
Jul 29, 2008
A Marine captain on the Kearsarge denied that Marines on the V-22 Osprey opened fire. But that might not exclude any firing by US forces:

Denial (UK Telegraph)

quote:

"No shots were fired," said Capt Richard Ulsh of the Marines. "The Osprey is not armed and the Marines barely got off the aircraft. I was in the landing force operations centre the whole time, where we were monitoring what was going on, and firing was never reported. Had it been reported we would have considered deploying a quick reaction force, and that never happened."

A second plane strafed the field where the pilot went down.

Perhaps the F-15s wingman came down to ground level, or another coalition aircraft scouting the area for parachutes opened fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIR499
Jul 29, 2008

euphronius posted:

By the way, is Obama using the 60 day window of the War Powers Resolution? Or has Congress given him an ok here (doubtful.)

(I know: authorized use of force? Hahaha how quaint! A vestigial limb of the Republic period.)

Under the act, the President has 60 days to ask for authorization plus and extension period of some number of days -- I think 60 more. He has to notify congress within 2 days, which he did yesterday.

JIR499
Jul 29, 2008

cioxx posted:

I ask again, why not lob a tomahawk towards Libyan TV?

It's a new addition to US doctrine when fighting arab nations, known as the "Mohammed al Sahaf Rule": enemy propaganda is worth three armored divisions -- for the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s27Oq5ot0ZI

JIR499
Jul 29, 2008

Competition posted:

Stop this poo poo, people were claiming potential proxy civil war for Iraq which had ten times to potential than Syria does and that didn't happen.

Syria:
Ethnicity - Arab 90%
Religion - 75% Sunni, 15% Other Muslim, 10% Christian

Not nearly fractured enough for any true civil war, the Alawites (who share that 15%) would support the Ba'athists but that's about it.

The "fracture" problem is that the Assad family and the regime elites are all Alawites, who rule over the Sunnis. It's a minority-rule situation, in some ways similar to what's going on in Bahrain.

Libya:

Interesting piece from the Aviation Week blog about the continuing SAM threat in Libya. Apparently Qaddafi got his hands on some fairly advanced man-portable missiles.

quote:

The Russian-made SA-24 Grinch can shoot down coalition aircraft effectively at altitudes up to about 11,000 ft. That would not affect most combat patrols, which are being flown above 20,000 ft., but once humanitarian relief, refuge, medical evacuation and other low-altitude missions begin, they could be lethal...

Nearly lost in the excitement about the destroyed Libyan aircraft was the news was the news that the French struck deep into Libya in the past day, near Sebha. I'd say it's likely that they hit the fixed air-defense sites identified by Sean O'Connor here. For those interested, his rundown of fixed-site Libyan SAMs (or ex-SAMs by now) is here.

JIR499 fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 24, 2011

• Locked thread