Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
The following link contains a dead baby from Bahrain:

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/183652_165414813510316_100001253966056_400835_4808560_n.jpg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Furious Mittens posted:

Egyptian prosecutors have ordered the arrest of former ruling party chief and three other ministers from the Mubarak government.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/meast/02/17/egypt.revolution.arrests/

Not just that, Al Adly, the minister of interior is being investigated for coordination of/collaboration in the new year's eve church bombing which killed 23 Egyptians, the government blamed that on palestinian islamists.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
That stuff about the Egyptian economy isn't actually set in stone as we're going through a major governmental change this week, but most important of all, these "changes" are only temporary measures to alleviate the current economic problem especially for poor people until elections take place several months down the line.

Plus, our hospitals don't have the framework, training or resources to support UHC 24/7.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
They're freezing the assets of Mubarak and his family finally, plus the new government will be announced soon, possibly later this evening.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Brown Moses posted:

Did you have a look at the leaked cabinet Ham?

Yes, and I don't see what Xandu thinks is so bad about it. They've (so far) removed two of the most hated pre-revolution ministers (Aisha Abd El-Hady and Sameh Fahmy) plus that report doesn't include all the changes as they've apparently closed down the ministry of information completely and set up a new ministry of affairs of Egyptians abroad.

There's also many last minute calls taking place so there might be more changes.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

ShortStack posted:

Oh god please don't let this be true. It's going to be an absolute international poo poo storm if this is the case. Holy gently caress please no.

If true it's probably the Libyan regime trying to put the blame on the Israelis, even though two of their senior pilots have defected and confirmed it's Libyan planes bombing everyone.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Greyhawk posted:

Well, considering the border to Egypt seems to no longer be staffed, I guess he just wandered in.

The Egyptian side of the border is staffed and they're preventing Egyptian nationals from entering Libya but allowing in all aid convoys + the military is setting up field hospitals and refugee camps (for Libyans and Egyptians, there's almost 500,000 Egyptians in Libya) on the border in the town of Salum.

I'm guessing they wouldn't have issues with letting a foreign reporter in though.

Plus: The Egyptian Air Force is mostly trained by the US Air Force so it's not like they lack the training, however they definitely lack in air superiority capabilities as they're limited to the AIM-9X missile.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Nenonen posted:

they would have no popular mandate to invade their neighbour

There are about 500,000 Egyptians living and working in Libya who are now being specifically targeted along with Tunisians by Qaddafi's people after his son's speech last night, so that's a pretty serious cause but I don't see the military intervering other than in humanitarian ways. Also 15,000 Egyptians have crossed the border into Egypt today, so far.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Mr.Showtime posted:

You lost me here cause you don't know what you're talking about.

You know Mubarak's family's assets are being seized right now and that many of his old corrupted cronies are being tried soon, right?

Mohamad Al Tantawi is definitely a Mubarak man but their relationship wasn't the best over the past few years and Tantawi never really got into politics so he couldn't be counted among his "cronies".

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Nenonen posted:

Half a million Egyptians in Libya? That's a tremendous amount for a country of six million people!! What is this figure based on, and where are they locationed?

Well if you have enough time for this PDF...

quote:

Approximately 70% of Egyptian migrants live in Arab countries (923,600 in Saudi Arabia, about 500,000 in Jordan, 332,600 in Libya, and 190,550 in Kuwait with the rest elsewhere in the region) and the remaining 30% are living mostly in Europe and North America (318,000 in the US, 110,000 in Canada and 90,000 in Italy).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptians

The Egyptians in Libya figure is from the 90s and government released statistics show it's increased.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Brown Moses posted:

If success in Libya inspires the Iranian protesters he'll be using exactly the same tactics if he wants any chance of staying in power.

Unlike Libya, Ahmadinejad is part of an extensive system of power in Iran and if he departs from power the country can go on as it normally does, so I doubt Iranian power centres are gonna let him use fighter jets and tanks to kill protesters.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Yaos posted:

Here's a video from the 20th in Iran. It looks like a tiny protest, but they just keep coming. No blood or gore.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0c5_1298232736

I was thinking nothing was happening in Iran, but now I remember that when everybody was focusing on Egypt nothing was coming out of Libya until Egypt finished the revolt.

The stuff in Libya began on the 16th, Mubarak stepped down on the 11th.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Petr posted:

The military doesn't need people to go back to work before it can lift the emergency law and the curfew.

The curfew isn't enforced and emergency law won't be lifted until they hand over power to a civilian government in a few months.

I think you guys are grossly overreacting to the news the came out of Egypt yesterday, the army didn't oppose the protest on Friday and thousands turned up all over the country, but 2000 people decided to stage a sit-in in Tahrir Square and the army wouldn't have that, you also have to realize that many Egyptians are apathetic to yesterday's protests as they just want to move the economy. Factories aren't working, workers on strike in many areas, shortage in food-stuffs, it's very easy to blame the protesters for this since they won't go back to work.

The protesters' method of thinking is: We don't want anyone associated with Mubarak's administration in any way, shape or form to hold any of the country's ministerial positions. You've had about 60 years of authoriarian rule where only one party at any time held any real power with no real political opposition, so there aren't that many outsiders that know the inner workings of governments and who have the ability to lead the government for a short transitional period effectively.

Right now, the army and government has issues more dangerous than the middle class not accepting Ahmad Shafik as prime minister. All these people living on less than $2 a day? Forty million Egyptians, pretty much half of Egypt? These people are actually in worse conditions now than before the revolution since most of the factories are stopped due to strikes, fleeing investments and many other effects of Mubarak departing. Besides, how can you expect that all these impoverished people to participate effectively in a democratic election when they don't even have enough money to buy food? Anyone could offer them $30 each and they'd vote for them.

These extremely impoverished people didn't actually participate in the revolution. If they actually had, it might have been a hunger revolution and it would have been a lot more bloddy than it was, most of the people in the revolution were middle class, culturally, socially or economically (or all of that). You won't be surprised to hear many of these extremely impoverished people were in support of Mubarak and they're what the previous thread called "Mubs", pretty much extremely poor people driven to fight others because the government spread the fear they'd be even poorer with Mubarak gone, and so far this is proving to be true.

This is what the army, most political commentators and pretty much the entire religious institution in Egypt have been preaching since February 18th. Many people have doubts about the army and many will tell you "Oh hey it's like Mubarak all over again!!!" when it really isn't. The army keeps on arresting many top personnel and many of Mubarak's personal friends and while Tantawi is a Mubarak cronie too, he's not reaching for power as he knows most of the army and the people will oppose this as he isn't very popular with the officer corps. Right now what he's trying to do is making a clean exit for himself by pretty much cleaning up the country in hopes that when it's time for him, people will have enough sympathy and he would have enough popularity that he won't be implicated as others in Mubarak's administration have.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

quadratic posted:

Ham, did you happen to see Heikal's interview last Saturday? I haven't, but I've been told he's claiming that Mubarak is running things behind the scenes from Sharm.

Article 83 of the Egyptian constitution states that "In case of resignation, the President shall address the letter of resignation to the People's Assembly." I realize this is all a bit very :tinfoil:, but did this actually happen? All we saw on TV was Omar Suleiman stating that Mubarak had turned over power.

Many people think Mubarak is running things from Sharm Al Sheikh. I don't know if he is but some of Mubarak's top allies like Safwat Al-Sharif, Fathy Sorour and others have been completely absent from the political and media stage ever since the revolution and they're not being publicly prosecuted, which fuels many conspiracy theories. Personally I doubt the army will ever try and prop up Mubarak ever again, they've seen how 100% of the officers refused to even consider opening fire on the protesters (Tantawi sent out a poll to gauge their willingness on January 30 asking if they would obey an order to open fire on protesters, results were 100% 'No'.) and if the army doesn't pursue real reform people will be back on the streets in no time.

The way the army handled the protesters last night is pretty stupid even if they just want the economy to get better by preventing strikes and protests, and I don't know how people are going to react yet. I don't specifically agree with the protesters' demands to remove Ahmed Shafik but I agree with the call for change. Currently, I'm undecided on wether the army is pursuing real democratic reform or not and I'm waiting till the committee that is proposing the constitutional amendments to actually publish them (should be today or tomorrow I heard). If these amendments aren't what the people want you can bet they'll be out in the streets in huge numbers again.

And no, Mubarak didn't resign to the people's assembly as stepping down and giving his powers to the military council is unconstitutional, so he doesn't need to go to the people's assembly anyway.

Edit: Quadratic, reading the article Heikal is purely speculating and I think part of what he says is true, but no one can really verify it. Really hope it isn't though.

Ham fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Feb 26, 2011

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
About yesterday's events: Egyptian Military is apologizing for an unintended use of force

"In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

The Higher Council of the Military Forces

Message No. "22"
To the youth of the Jan. 25th Revolution

An apology, and what we owe you allows it.

The Higher Council of Military forces confirms to the young people of the Jan. 25th Revolution it's dedication to achieving the noble goals of the revolution and that what happened yesterday through the demonstrations of "Friday of Loyalty(?)" is the result of unintended clashes between the military police and the sons of the revolution, and that there hasn't nor will there ever be orders issued to transgress on the sons of this great country and that all possible precautions will be taken to prevent this from happening again in the future.

Higher Council of the Military Forces"

So it looks like today's demonstrations won't be opposed, thank god.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

quadratic posted:

It's a bit disturbing that Tantawi polled his officers on their willingness to shoot protesters, but is today the de facto ruler of Egypt. I hope that's not actually true.

Keep in mind, these are military commanders. Mubarak was the supreme commander of the military and they had to follow orders and I'm sure the order to open fire on protesters wouldn't come form him but he wouldn't really oppose it on his own. While Tantawi is representing Egypt he's not actually running it on his own, the military council (the chiefs of staff) all are.

quote:

The impression I've gotten about Shafik is that he did a decent job as the minister of civil aviation and is perhaps unfairly tainted by his association with Mubarak. Is that your impression as well?

Yes, that was my impression. It's also the same impression many people had about Omar Suleiman before Mubarak appointed him as VP which pretty much killed the man's political career. Shafik is nothing like Suleiman though, Suleiman was a spy chief while Shafik was minister of civil aviation and a former EAF pilot, also his ministry was considered one of the "cleanest" when it came to efficiency, effectiveness and corruption.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Apology posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ehsan-zaffar/the-revolution-isnt-over-_b_828651.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Come on, Egypt. They helped you, they took the same risks of getting shot or hit in the head with a rock, they got tear-gassed right alongside you, and they took the added risk of being brutally raped, the least you can do is give them a seat at the table :mad:

Article's got quite a few things wrong:

- In 1919 it wasn't really a revolution and it never achieved independence from the British

- None of the people on the constitutional amendment committe are "strident champions of the Egyptian Revolution", male of female. They're old constitutional supreme judges and law professors, not some people off the street writing whatever comes to their mind.

- Mubarak's regime never suppressed female political partcipation or spread fear about it, in fact they went as far as to declare that a large portion of the people's assembly (equivalent to the congress in the US) must be female which basically marked certain districts "female-only", so only female candidates could run in these districts. Plus they've had several female ministers throughout the years.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Let the floodgates open! Habib Al Adly, former Minister of Interior and responsible for the Egyptian police, prisons and internal security forces was arrested several weeks ago and they've begun interrogating him pertaining to the events taking place between the 25th and 28th. His forces were the ones that opposed the protesters in Egypt from Jan. 25th till the 28th, killing over 300 and wounding thousands then mysteriously disappeared from the streets and prisons the evening of the 28th which caused massive chaos and looting.

So far, here's what he said:

He denied giving the order to open fire on the protesters, saying he gave his assistants on the field (police and central security commanders) broad authority to do whatever they think is appropriate to deal with the situation as they were out in the streets while he was not, and that the responsibility for the deaths lies upon these commanders, saying "I didn't call every officer to tell them to open fire!"

And in regards to the decision to open all the prisons nation-wide (prisoners in Egypt numbering tens of thousands, most of them in for rape, murder, theft or something similar) he says that the decision came from many leaders and officials in the NDP (National Democratic Party, Mubarak's party) and they demanded he cause chaos and terror in the country so the protesters would "go home".

He's also confirmed he received orders from one of the key leaders of the NDP to remove the protesters by any means necessary including shooting everyone, hiring thugs (what we saw in the camel battle) in order to kill the protest movement.

Ironically, the attorney general's office interrogated Habib Al Adly's assistants first and they defended their former minister and said the order to open fire came from low-level officers on the field, but after Habib's statement they've changed their testimonies and they're saying Habib ordered them to open fire on protesters and to open the prisons.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
What the hell is that terrible logo anyway?

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
I'm honestly sad Shafik's resigned as Prime Minister, he might have done a good job. Don't know a lot about Essam Sharaf, and they'll have to form a new government now.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Apparently Amr Moussa was part of the regime's plan to "stop" the revolution, he was gonna be on a faux "presidential council" with other popular media and sports figures..wow..

I'll read through this stuff and look for anything interesting. Also apparently they have files on everyone in college.

Ham fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 6, 2011

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Chortles posted:

Waitwaitwaitwhaaaaa...?

What's this about media/sports figures getting tapped, and was Moussa in on this? Unless you're talking about whatever formal civilian executive authority there is right now...

Just as I posted, Amr Moussa was gonna be part of it. In fact after Mubarak's second speech he went down to Tahrir Square to tell protesters "It's over he'll do it, go home" which was apparently the part of the government's plan.

Most of these are letters/reports to higher authorities. Here's a summary of what I've read so far:

#1 - After the 2005 parliamentary elections which the MB gained a lot in (over 70 seats), the security apparatus was open to the formation of new left-leaning liberal parties to combat the influence of the Muslim Brotherhood in certain towns.

#2- Another one asks that the demands of factory workers be met.

#3- In another they talk about providing the utmost protection for their stealth e-mail hacking operations and tools by preventing inexperienced officers from using them to hack personal accounts.

#4- In this one they request check-ups on the political leanings of 23 people a local oil-refinery wants to hire and wether the ministery approves or not.

#5- About Niqab: "Encouraging college deans, student union leaders etc to disallow women wearing niqab from living in student residences in an effort to combat the spread of this extremist outfit"

About college students in general: "Investing the efforts of moderate elements (silent majority) (of students) and encouraging them to participate in a political fabric representing moderate, enlightened values far from confrontational political ideas that are held by a small portion of students; we do this by inviting these students into our "College Families" that we've already created in universities."

"Preventing any and all politically active students from residing in government provided student dorms"

#6- Here's one for Americans: During the last population census, the security apparatus requested a "limited" amount of fake census IDs worn by the census workers who went to every home in Egypt in order to use them to spy on suspects etc.

#7- In another, they talk about a phone line they tapped belonging to an official in "Ghad Party".

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
So Mohamed El Baradei just announced he intends to run for president in Egypt. Right now it looks like the elections will be a battle between him and Amr Moussa who's already announced he also intends to run. I support Baradei but right now I'd say Moussa would win 70-30, but Baradei's getting more popular with the people every day and they're starting some campaigns so we'll see in the coming months.

There are others who have announced their intent to run including party leaders: Hamdein Sabahy from "Hizb Al Karamah" and Ayman Nour from "Hizb al Ghad" although there's rumors Ayman Nour won't run and is supporting El Baradei.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Narmi posted:

Also, I asked this before, but I guess it got buried a few pages back, but there's something that's been bugging me for awhile - if you can clear it up for me it'd be much appreciated. I was wondering whatever happened to that "Hell Room" that was said to be in the NDP headquarters. I haven't heard anything about it since it was first mentioned awhile ago. Was it just a rumour, or was the whole place to badly burnt to find anything or what?

NDP Headquarters were completely burned (perhaps intentionally) and protesters who have investigated it haven't found anything so I doubt we'll get anything but perhaps in the future..

Ham fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 7, 2011

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
The protesters in Tahrir Square are calling for the the dissolvement of the State Security apparatus which handled issues such as islamist groups, political action etc.

Right now it's widely believed the clashes between christians and salafis yesterday were caused by the state security trying to instigate violence in the country.

Reports so far say the attackers are state security officers trying to drive out the protesters' calling for their arrests.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Video of Amr Moussa in a public event last night. People start criticizing him about issues such as his inaction throughout 30 years in power, his support of Mubarak, etc.

Don't think he'll be doing that again anytime soon.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
So Mohamed El Baradei was on TV for 3 continuous hours in a landmark interview. Never thought I'd see a politician declare themselves socialist that easily.

Will post a summary of the interview later but sandmonkey is probably already doing that right now.

Also it was really fun I don't even know why.

Ham fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Mar 10, 2011

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

ChaosSamusX posted:

I'm going to go ahead and assume you are also from North America. Everywhere else in the Western world (and many places elsewhere), about half the socialists will openly call themselves socialist.

I'm Egyptian and I live in Egypt. Politics here were a joke and people just blindly followed capitalism and a lot of Egypt's youth pay a lot of attention to American politics. It's just interesting to me seeing the difference between how easy politicans can do something like that here but definitely not in the US.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

King Dopplepopolos posted:

Did he really call himself a socialist? In the event that he's elected, what are the odds that some foreign intelligence agency *cough* CIA *cough* topples him and installs another dictator?*

*Half kidding

He called himself a democratic socialist and talked about common ownership for a bit. He also wasn't afraid to call out Israel and the Egyptian government on the Gaza blockade issue and nuclear weapons, in fact they were joking around that Israeli leadership were probably watching the show live. He talked for quite a bit about the arrogance and ignorance of Bush's administration and how he stood up against them in the security council and denied the presence or development of WMDs in Iraq prior to the 2003 invasion of Iraq, dispelling many rumors the NDP had spread that he had caused the invasion in Iraq. He also dispelled rumors from the same source saying his daughter's husband is atheist, that he has dual citizenship, that his wife is jewish etc.

He also said he would definitely try to restore normal relaitons between Egypt and Iran if he is elected, these relations were cut decades ago when Iran named a street in Tehran after Khaled El Islamboli, Sadat's assassin.

The interview was a huge breath of fresh air, most people here have never experienced anything like it. People are actually saying "if only we knew democracy felt so good", referring to free media and freedom of opinion.

EDIT: He also criticized some of the new constitutional amendments, which demands that a presidential candidate be of "pure Egyptian birth" and not to hold dual-citizenship or be married to a foreigner or a woman with dual-citizenship, even if he drops said citizenship. He said the focus on "pure Egyptian birth" reminded him of Hitler. He also said he'd vote No on the vote for the amendments taking place March 19th.

Ham fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Mar 10, 2011

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

quadratic posted:

While I agree with his objections, (quadratic 2015 :smug:) wouldn't it be better to get these amendments in and then decide later whether to amend it further or start anew? The current constitution is unworkable as it stands.

He said the current constitution even with amendments rushes change too much and still gives ultimate power to the president. He called for the complete independence of the judicial systeam, the limiting of the president's powers in regards to the constitution and rushes parliamentary elections which at this stage will be confined to former NDP and muslim brotherhood. He said he would open the door for the formation of political parties, letting them work for a few months before opening to parliamentary elections.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Eventful day in Egypt today, hundreds of thousands went down everywhere in Egypt, not protesting, but celebrating "national unity". This last week has been very shaky because of the burning of a church by a muslim mob said to have been instigated by state security and some clashes between thugs and protesters (muslims and christians) that resulted in 13 dead.

Hundreds of thousands went out today holding crosses, qurans and wearing the flag of Egypt in celebration of national unity against these events, and even the military leadership participated in Tahrir Square.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Young Freud posted:

Also, what's going to happen when he pushes the rebels out of Libya? Attack Egypt and Tunisia, since their revolutions helped push Libya's? Also, with some of the humanitarian aid Egypt has been giving to eastern Libya, he could easily write that as a casus belli for an invasion of Egypt.

Libya vs. Egypt would be a hilariously one-sided fight. And I think the best outcome he could possibly reach in Libya is the division of Libya, with west being renamed to Qaddafi Republic.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
So according to an article in the Washington Times, John Kerry has confirmed the US government has frozen $31.5 billion of Mubarak's assets in the form of shares, stocks, bank accounts and some real estate in New York and Los Angeles. $31.5 Billion just in the US...

The constitutional referendum is gonna take place 2 days from now on the 19th and there's no clear outcome yet, most polls show a result of 51/49 that switches between Yes/No.

Arguments:

The "Yes" crowd argue that the country is too unstable to wait for a completely new constitution and say the changes are going to be enough to put the country forward on the path to democracy. After these amendments pass, parliamentary elections are to be held within two months and the democratically elected body can then draft a new constitution within 6 months. This notion is supported by the Muslim Brotherhood and the National Democratic Party (Mubarak's). I remember a week ago some imam in Alexandria told people it was a "divine duty" to vote "Yes" on the referendum but tons of people called him out on that.

The "No" crowd argues however that the changes are not enough as they do not take away any of the president's ultimate powers, do not guarantee the independence of the judicial system from the executive one, do not fix the broken down parliamentary system (25% workers, 25% farmers) and that if they pass the country will go through rushed parliamentary elections that the NDP and MB would win as they're the only two established political parties. They're calling for a new constitution to be drafted taking all these issues into consideration and delaying parliamentary elections to give other new parties a chance to organize and recruit members, and they call for presidential elections to be held before parliamentary ones just for this goal. This notion is supported by most opposition parties, lots of popular media figures, non-NDP businessmen (such as Nagib Sawiris) imams and strong presidential candidates and rivals Amr Moussa and Mohamad El Baradei.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

farraday posted:

Ham how large are concerns over a fraudulent referendum?

Slim to none. Judges will be overseeing all the voting nd the counting process and they're almost always "fair" as the 2005 parliamentary elections showed, which is why Mubarak removed their authority from these matters in the fraudulent elections in 2010. Also civil organizations and people in general will be recording the whole process, the first democratic vote to be held in Egypt in over 70 years.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Apparently, Kerry mixed up between Mubarak and Qaddafi and the $31.5 billion figure was actually related to Qaddafi. Way to go!

EDIT: How do you make a mistake like this? Is it possible they're covering this up now?

Ham fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 17, 2011

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Voting on the amendments started an hour ago. #Dostor2011 hashtag.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Xandu posted:

Are you planning to vote yes? Looks to be a very close vote.

Voting No of course.

EDIT: This vote is the first real show of strengths between islamists and liberals if you're willing to generalize, pretty much everyone falls into either of these camps with some exceptions (such as the NDP siding with the MB and Islamists and supporting "yes"

Ham fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Mar 19, 2011

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Just came back, voted "No" on the referendum. There were thousands of people in lines outside the polling station just in my neigbourhood (there's 54,000 polling stations all over the country), it's unprecedented and amazing. Took us 2 hours to actually get to vote because of the gigantic lines but we basically talked to each other and debated the whole time. One odd observation, at least in my neighbourhood more old people turned up than young. Most people I talked to voted "No" and I think it's gonna be a close call in the end. No one could see any signs of fraud and the military was securing everything.

Whatever the results are, it was an amazing experience.

Ham fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 19, 2011

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Narmi posted:

Also, what were all those warnings about making sure you ballot had to be stamped? Was it to prevent a spoiled ballot or to keep track of legit ones or something completely different?

I think unstamped ones aren't counted.

If the outcome is "Yes", we're gonna have parliamentary elections in 2 months, and most analysts think they're gonna be dominated by the Muslim Brotherhood and the National Democratic Party.

If the outcome is "No" then a new constitution or new amendments will have to be written, giving some time for liberal and/or secular parties to form and organize.

Some of the rhetoric used by islamist groups in this referendum (they're in support of "Yes" cause they know any parliament elected during this period will be dominated by the Muslim Brotherhood, who can then tailor their own constitution), some of that rhetoric is plain frightening. A lot of them are telling people it's their "duty" to vote "Yes" as decreed by god, and that people who vote "No" are akin to apostates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!
Vote's in.

The proposed constitutional amendments to the Egyptian constitution have passed with 77.2% in favour. Numbers were a bit low however with only 41.19% voter participation (18,537,000 out of 45,000,000 eligible voters).

It was a done deal once the MB made the issue a religious one and said that it's a divine duty decreed by god to vote "Yes". Before that it might have been 50/50.

What this means in the long run: we're gonna have parliamentary elections in June, and presidential ones in August. Parliament still retains the horrible system where 25% must be workers and 25% must be farmers, regardless of their education.

• Locked thread