Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
  • Locked thread
paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

So Brown Moses, how long do you think it'll be before you get into some kind of international blood feud with Russia Today?

And a serious question, do we have any idea of how many cluster bombs Syria has or is it just, "A lot."?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

Here's a unique picture of an unexploded ODAB 500-PMV fuel air bomb that crashed through someone's roof in Aleppo.

Stop poking that bomb people!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Haha, holy poo poo my dad flies RC hobby planes bigger than that. You really can just start up the engine and then do a running throw to get them into the air.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Charliegrs posted:

Cant tell if serious...

There have been radio political ads that asserted exactly that from the time of the 2004 election. It relies heavily on the audience knowing nothing about the region's politics or history, the difference between Sunnis and Shiites, and "Hey they're all ragheads right? They must be on the same team!". So I guess it all depends on whether or not you think DrPlump is a drooling imbecile.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

The Entire Universe posted:

I honestly believe that the US knew this and invaded anyway and what's up for debate is the reason.

Pretty sure the reason was DAD ARE YOU PROUD OF ME YET!?!?! Is no news good news when it comes to Tunisia and Libya? Are things progressing well in those countries?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Jihadi's aren't known for being the most reasonable or forward thinking people. I wouldn't imagine it comes down to much more than , "We have guns, and the non-believers are right there."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Xandu posted:

It's back, but this was a dumb move by the ambassador

http://thecable.foreignpolicy.com/p...rotherhood_spat

I swear to God one day we are going to see a loving war start because of Twitter.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

I always thought that you needed some sort of political motive for it to be terrorism. "The government does this thing or people die."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Many of the targets you just described are in urban areas, and poisonous gases have notoriously poor IFF systems. And I can't imagine it'd go over very well with basically any other country, ally or not.

Edit: Also what Space Gopher said.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

Jihadist militants funded by Saudis advancing on a position with Israeli air support.

He's a real popular guy, that Assad.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Muffiner posted:

The massacre in Baidah is one in a series of massacres against Sunni communities in and around the Alewite homeland, which started with the massacres in Karm Elzeitoun, Houla and Deir Be'elba in early-mid 2012. This series of targeted massacres is consistent in various factors, in that Shabeeha go in and slit people's throats and/or burn them after intensive shelling by the regime, and in it's locations which are always villages or small towns of Sunnis located in close proximity to Alewite villages and towns. This is genocide or genocidal in intention, most certainly.

Well, if the Alawites weren't going to be victims of ethnic cleansing before then they will be now.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Has anyone claimed responsibility for this, or are people just assuming it's the Syrians?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

New Division posted:

I don't think the Turkish Public would like it, since it's highly likely to drag their armed forces into a situation like 1980's Lebanon was for Israel, except bloodier.

Yeah, if Turkey invades Syria they'd better be willing and able to kill literally everyone because otherwise they're going to find themselves in a situation that would make Iraq look like a walk in the park. It's not going to happen.

McDowell posted:

History is over and our leaders have a handle on the situation; parallels between the Middle East and early 20th century Central/East Europe are nil. Stop discussing unsettling possibilities that could never ever happen.

Okay, seriously, you do at least understand what MAD is and that it's still a thing, right?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Bringing democracy is never evil, son. We'll cut the heart out of every man in Syria until they get the vote!

So tell me, where exactly is the line here? Killing the guy, stabbing a knife into his chest, bringing the bloody heart up to his lips... that's okay because he's just doing it for the camera?

The outrage over the whole heart eating thing seems really arbitrary to me. Both sides have been regularly torturing and executing people they even suspect of being on the other side for quite a while now, and most people in the thread still supported the rebels. Now one guy comes along and mutilates a corpse in a specific way and suddenly its "Oh poo poo the rebels have totally lost all moral authority, I guess Assad should win now I mean what's the difference right?". Kind of a weird place to draw the line.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

You'll be calling me Goody Brown Moses next.

I'm working with Google and Youtube at the moment, they're helping me improve my process, and they've asked me to record a video of me at work. Is there any good free software I can use to record my desktop and record my voice? Kind of a Let's Play for the Brown Moses Blog.

Audacity is free and is pretty good voice recording software. I think most of Let's Play uses Fraps, but I think you have to pay for it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Oh good for a second there I was worried that the U.S. might eventually not be involved in a war during my adult life.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Well, you can argue it isn't a coup if the army doesn't intend to rule itself I guess? A coup usually involves putting yourself or someone who works for you in charge, is that what the army is doing?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Tatum Girlparts posted:

There was literally nothing to do, the nearest dudes would have taken a long time to get there even if they started moving as soon as the attack started. Troops don't just teleport in, 'rapid response' usually takes a good bit, and the attack wasn't some big prolonged siege.

As for the lying, Rice et all used the information she was given by intelligence agencies, complain to them about the whole 'it was a tape' thing. Beyond that there have been no lies, just politically motivated people (it's literally the same three dudes, Issa, McCain, Graham) constantly 'demanding answers' when there's no more answers to give.

Just because you say 'I want more answers' doesn't mean there are any.

And didn't Congress cut the budget for embassy and consulate security? Ask him why he isn't more upset about all the embassy attacks and deaths that happened under Bush.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Wow, this is going to be real drat embarrassing for someone, but I'm not quite sure who.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Because, you see, soldiers choose what military operations they will take part in, and can totally opt out if an operation is ordered that they are morally opposed to without any sort of penalty. Oh wait.

You sign a four year contract in summer of 2001. You work in the motor pool. The United States is not currently at war with anyone. Four years later it's summer of 2005, and the occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan have no end in sight. The army extends the term of your contract because the military hasn't been meeting it's recruitment quotas. According to Al-Saqr, you are just as guilty of war crimes as the Black Water guys who gunned down civilians for fun.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Is there no end to their crimes?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

I bet ISIS doesn't even know why kids like Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

There's lots of reports that Jabhat al-Nusra are kicking ISIS out of Raqqa, with one hope being they'll be able to release prisoners held by ISIS, including missing journalists.

Man, this is some through the looking glass poo poo. You know your evil when you make loving JAN look like the good guys.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

3 seems like it would be awkward since it'd be a NATO member helping prop up a Russian client government. I guess other concerns are overriding that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Brown Moses posted:

A new car bombing in Lebanon

Apparently there's no Hezbollah offices or "strongholds" nearby. It's getting to the point that whenever I see a carbombing in Lebanon mentioned on Twitter I have to check if it's a new attack, or just people discussing a recent attack.

Accidental detonation maybe? Aren't car bombs normally used to go after whole buildings?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

What the hell are they even shooting at this time?

Besides Palestinians I mean.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Oh cool I was wondering how this whole thing could become more horrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grimey Drawer

Flaky posted:

Ummm yes? Gaddhafi's ouster was a pretty serious boon for Boko Haram, who were responsible for kidnapping those Nigerian schoolgirls? From whom no-one has heard for months, the Nigerian government certainly hasn't returned them.

Last time I checked Nigeria isn't in Libya.

• Locked thread