Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

truth masseuse posted:

Gadaffi had his inner circle penetrated towards the end as well... :downsrim:

Bwahaha, hilarious! He was sodomized at gunpoint and then brutally murdered! Vintage SA poo poo right here! We laugh at anything!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You might have a problem with that since HSBC is a British bank.

If anything that would make it easier. No law restrains us in dealing with so-called "foreign nationals."

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Charliegrs posted:

In response to the Apache video: I think since the US has been actively fighting Islamic militants in the last decade that the general position has been that no enemy combatant is truly neutralized until he is completely 100% dead. We arent fighting nazis anymore, a gunshot wound isnt going to make a hardcore Taliban fighter want to surrender to save his life. These people want to die, and take an American soldier with them in the process. If one of these guys isnt dead then they might have enough energy to detonate a suicide vest or pick up a rifle and take out an American soldier.

It reminds me of a very controversial video from the Falluja operation in 2004. A bunch of marines are in a building with dead insurgents all over the place. One of the marines sees one of the insurgents move, and the marine shoots and kills him. Now you would think this would be a major war crime, and legally speaking it probably is, but the fanatics these marines were fighting routinely were wearing suicide vests and I dont blame this particular marine for killing this insurgent and potentially saving the life of himself and his fellow marines.

Im not saying its right to kill an enemy thats already wounded, but like Ive pointed out I totally understand why they are doing it. And I would feel far worse if US soldiers were getting killed because they are trying to follow a Geneva convention that doesnt make a lot of sense fighting religious fanatics.

This is a grotesque apologia for barbarism. You should be ashamed of yourself. "Legally speaking this is probably a major war crime, but I don't blame him for doing it?" loving Christ, man. "These people" don't want to die, they want the U.S. occupying forces out of their country.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Orange Devil posted:

Good job Dutch news for reporting the bombing on Syrian government officials as a "terror-attack".

Jesus loving christ.

In what way was it not a terror attack?

Is this more of the "We shouldn't call it terrorism if the Good Guys do it against the Bad Guys" thing?

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Orange Devil posted:

I just fail to see how targetting high ranking members of an illegitimate, undemocratic and murderous regime during a state of civil war qualifies as terror. By that definition trying to bomb Hitler would've been a terrorattack.

"Terrorism" doesn't mean "Bad thing done by bad people".

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Orange Devil posted:

Actually, it does. It does not have a definition anyone can agree upon. From that perspective the term is entirely meaningless. However we can still see that the term has gotten some meaning due to the context in which it is commonly used, especially recently. And it has precisely been used in Western media as something that is an inherently illegitimate thing to do. Terrorism is, according to our media and politicians, always bad. We've been told this for over a decade. So in that context, using this term is ridiculous. And there's not even a possibility to fall back on "yes but technically actually the term terrorism is defined as meaning such and so" because no such agreed upon technical definition exists.

Well, good point I guess - we should accept the Western media's propaganda and exclusively use "terrorism" to mean to "any act a Muslim takes against any citizen, property, or interest of the United States." This is definitely a better way to use the word than something crazy like "the use of violence against civilian targets to force political change." You've convinced me: this wasn't a terror attack because it wasn't perpetrated against the USA.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Jarmak posted:

In regards to WW2 I would see the firebombings far more as "terrorism" then killing the head of the enemy armed forces, or for that matter French resistance killing occupying German military.

Yeah, so would I, because the definition of terrorism is "Use of violence against civilians to force political change." Very good point, Jarmak. That's also why the US's use of predator drones to bomb random convoys in Afghanistan is terrorism, and Taliban attacks on US military bases are not. :)

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Golbez posted:

Sue for peace? So far as I can recall there hasn't been open war between Israel and Syria for 30 years. There's no peace to sue for, it's there, just don't rock the boat further. Without a dictator needing to create a boogeyman, hopefully whomever takes over will realize the priorities lie inward, not outward.

"Peace", in that Israel is illegally occupying and colonizing land that belongs to Syria.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Alchenar posted:

It's fairly easy to understand; the overriding priority for everyone in the region is North Korea, just as in the middle east everyone's politics largely gravitate around being terrified of Iran. That doesn't mean that countries don't have other priorities or conflicting interests, merely that co-operating over the crazy man of the neighborhood who's waving a big stick tends to take the front seat.

In what sense is Iran a "crazy man" "waving a big stick"? This is the kind of in-passing slur that contributes to the gross misapprehension that Iran is the aggressor rather than (as the facts show) the one being militarily and economically threatened by the world's superpower on a daily basis for the past ten years.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

az jan jananam posted:

I thought this was kind of a funny indicator of normalcy in Tripoli. Or NATO enacting its plan to forever render the Libyan people immobile.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/01/smallbusiness/cinnabon-libya/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

You see, the rebellion was successful - we've opened up Libya to American corporations! God bless 'em.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
The USA and Israel both consider it their sovereign and indisputable right to launch cyberattacks on Iran. Like this is just a basic, plainly, openly known fact. We have officially and publicly declared open season on the Iranian cyber infrastructure. I am not at all surprised that the regime is trying to close itself off as much as possible when it is literally being made war on.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Mans posted:

I'm sure you were also repulsed by people gathering around Mussolini's corpse.

For this to be analogous, the video would need to be of people gathering around Bashar al-Assad's dead body. I somehow doubt this is the case.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

CeeJee posted:

They'll probably give them a medal for being a defender of the faith.

Yeah, "they" probably will do that, because of course that's just what I'd expect from "them."

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Oh man, Hillary just said that the picture leading drudgereport was a picture of Libyan civilians carrying the ambassador to the hospital, not taking of a trophy reminiscent of what happened in Iraq.

Wow, you mean Drudge flagrantly misrepresented a photograph and Arzy ate that poo poo up, telling us about how much it made him see red and want to kill Muslims? Golly, I'm totally shocked by this crazy turn of events!

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Flagellum posted:

Was the attack a Natural Consequence of posting stupid videos on the internet?

It apparently was an explicitly predicted consequence, so ......

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

pinkeye posted:

RIP Vilerat and all, but isn't anyone concerned that a senior State Department official was a moderator here?

He wasn't "senior." He was an IT contractor for the state department.

edit: But I do take your point.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

OatmealRaisin posted:

Man, I'm about to start tearing up here at work. I hope we manage to resolve this without driving another country into the ground.

Do you seriously not realize that that's what's already happened in Libya? An Islamist militia staged a riot so that they could attack the US consulate in Benghazi with explosives. That doesn't happen when things are running smoothly.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Zeroisanumber posted:

There are other, non-military options that are much better than military force. Building up civic institutions and the Libyan Army through training and financial assistance is much, much better than throwing SEALs and drones at the problem.

No duh but saying "I hope we don't run this into the ground" is like, uhh, a year late? Ish?

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

kylejack posted:

We vs. he. Qaddafi did this. We could still make it a lot worse, and I also hope we don't.

No, Kylejack, I do not think that Gaddafi formed an Islamist militia to attack US diplomatic personnel.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

whydirt posted:

Honestly, Vilerat would probably be one to appreciate the gallows humor and irony in this if he were around. :(

Oddly enough gallows humor has been punished with bans and permabans all day.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

kylejack posted:

Qaddafi created the civil war by refusing to step down, and the civil war created the power vacuum that the militia exploited. I think you're being a little pedantic when the poster has clarified he was simply saying that he doesn't want to see a massive US invasion of Libya over this.

I totally agree that nobody should want to see a massive US invasion of Libya but the point that I wanted to make is that Libya has already been driven into the ground by the civil war that we took part in.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Fog Tripper posted:

Good lord, what were they considered up til this point?

Yes, I get that. But what were they considered before today?
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Presumably, since the government had no real desire or ability to combat them, they had no legal status whatsoever.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

AllanGordon posted:

Actually drone strikes are pulled off if there is someone who is unknown in the area. They use active intelligence to choose their targets and have eyes on the ground to scout out the area. It's much more in depth than just fire away that most people think it is.

Yeah, for instance sometimes we are so in-depth that we conduct follow-up attacks in which we kill the family and friends of a dead man.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

AllanGordon posted:

Surprisingly enough the family and friends of a dead enemy combatant are also enemy combatants.

This is clearly not universally the case. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

AllanGordon posted:

Well I'm fairly sure the 2nd strike was based off on the ground intelligence that made a drone strike against them a good idea. Seems like it's less let god sort them out, because they knew who would be there.

Did you read the article?

"suspected militants had gathered to offer condolences to the brother of a militant commander "

It sure looks to me like we decided a drone strike against the dead man's associates was a good idea, and then we decided that killing his brother was acceptable collateral damage.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Pohl posted:

They are doing a live ceremony right now, why are you guys arguing about drone strikes and tactics?

This is the thread for the Middle East Wars. Am I to stop having a discussion about America's wars in the middle east because you'd rather TV/IV? I think not.

Fog Tripper posted:

Where does the "doesn't care" part stem from? Of course people care. What alternative is there poster Karl Sharks?

But the US doesn't care, because it has not allowed any hypothetical CareFeel from anyone at any step of the process to impede the exertion of imperial will in killing anyone, anywhere, anywhen.

evilweasel posted:

Take this poo poo elsewhere for now, thanks.

Should we start another thread for the US's conduct in the wars in the middle east?

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

PT6A posted:

As far as I'm concerned, we're only obliged to play by the rules as long as everyone is playing by the rules.

Humorously, this is not what the rules say.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

BootStrap posted:

Probably the fact that at this moment the body of the late mod of this forum is being honored on by the President and SecState.

There's time to argue about stupid poo poo later.

I was dead serious in my question if we should start another thread to keep talking about it.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Soap Bat Derby posted:

Humorously, that's exactly what the rules say. "failure to abide by the rules removes any protections under the rules". I'd pull up the specific convention if I had a faster connection.

The reason you haven't done this yet is that although some articles and protocols require both parties in the conflict to be signatories, others do not. And the US violates even those one-party protocols.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Sucrose posted:

4. The United States support of brutal Middle Eastern dictators, and the United State's embargo against a different brutal Middle Eastern dictator, Saddam Hussein. I've seen these two attacks against United States policy back-to-back plenty of other times, without any trace of irony.

That would probably be because a) Saddam was a brutal tyrant who oppressed his own people with the help of the US, and b) the US embargo killed hundreds of thousands of Iraqi children for literally no reason.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Sucrose posted:

Guess the US is damned if it does, damned if it doesn't.
Are you a liar or an idiot? It's gotta be one of them if "Damned if you do damned if you don't" is your analysis of "First we supported this dictator by giving him weapons with which he crushed his population, and then we strangled his population by embargoing them."

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Like, the proper response to "We used to support this brutal dictator" is not "So I guess we'll exact collective punishment on all of his subjects, killing half a million and only strengthening his regime."

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Soap Bat Derby posted:

Um, you know that Saddam killed them, right? Unless you want to follow the blame trail back a few degrees of separation, but personally, I prefer to hold the person who took the most direct action responsible rather than assigning guilt to the US through as many chains of causality as necessary to get to the US.

No, Saddam didn't kill the half-million children who died under the sanctions regime.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Fog Tripper posted:

I don't think many were "defending" it. Folks who were condemning it were asked what they would offer as alternative and not much was given beyond "killing civilians is bad".
That's because you don't need to offer an alternative beyond "Don't do that thing." What should we do instead of blowing up civilians wantonly to "get" our "man"? Instead, we should not do that.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Greenwald wrote an article on the Guardian today about a study by Stanford and NYU about the impact of drone strikes.

The report goes on to point out that not only do Pakistanis feel terrorized by the apparent arbitrariness of US drone activity and our policy of conducting follow-up strikes to murder rescuers and humanitarian workers, but that it is counter-productive in that it encourages recruitment and spurs violent attacks.

This does not come as a surprise to me, but perhaps those arguing with me earlier in this thread about the morality and efficacy of drone strikes would do well to read the report and meditate on it.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

New Division posted:

Intimidation of the population is one reason if I had to guess.

Yes, the two 'classic' reasons to torture someone are to terrorize a population and (relatedly) to extract confessions of wrongdoing.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

steve1 posted:

I'm sure some of it can also be a form of therapeutic release, as Mr. Abd ul-Ahad has speculated.

Well, but that's not so much a "reason" to engage in a torture campaign as much as it is a "cause" of one.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Mans posted:

Civil wars or revolutions aren't pretty. They're loving awful actually. Which just makes the reactionary forces even worse, they know pretty well just how hosed up the situation will become if they refuse to change the status quo and yet they prefer the destruction of their homeland for the sake of a small chance of maintaining the oppressive regime of old.

I don't know if that's really an accurate description of the reactionary forces. The regime leadership, yes, but you're imputing way too much agency to John Alawite the lance-corporal.

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
I was wondering if the only response I would get would be "Well those people were terrorists despite what anyone says." Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augure
Jan 9, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Boo

Dead Reckoning posted:

Wow, OK that's not at all what I said. Are you arguing that their methodology was in any way scientific? Do you think that their sources were unbiased?

Absolutely I think their methodology was scientific. Did you read the paper? Nobody is claiming that their sources are unbiased, but you appear to be claiming that their sources are uniformly liars.

• Locked thread