Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Nenonen posted:

I couldn't help it

:allears: This got no love and I wanted to say it was amazing.

Serious question: How could a militia network that Hezbollah or Iran set up survive the toppling of the Assad regime? Aren't they well known collaborators?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

Hell Gem
FWIW that's a Note 1 or 2, not an S3 - you can tell by the corners and the shape of the home button. Anyway, this is a silly derail, I want to know more about the secret international owl smuggling that's changing the battlefield dynamics in Syria.

Pre-emptive congrats to Brown Moses, by the way, you deserve it. You've made this thread my go-to source for all things related to Middle East conflicts and looking at how the Mali thread turned out, I really appreciate the high quality of posts in here.

Wax Dynasty fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 26, 2013

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

Hell Gem

Brown Moses posted:

I've just been approached by a decent literary agent to write a "quirky" book about me, my blog, and Syria. Expect How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the DIY Bomb by Eliot Higgins in Waterstones this Christmas, buy two get one free.

Make sure to contact Caro for some choice quotes for the back cover.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

Hell Gem

Pro-PRC Laowai posted:

Closing down CIA-fronts? Sounds good to me.

Do yo have any actual evidence for this charge? And even if so, how does this excuse their prosecution under an ambiguous Mubarak-era law designed to suppress political activism by requiring government approval? Note that none of these 43 people were convicted of spying, only for failure to register - a failure caused by the government's refusal to grant licenses to any NGO group, despite the NGOs filing the required paperwork.

Mind, this is the same government that relies on about 2 billion a year in US foreign aid, which represents ~3.5% of its total governmental spending.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

Hell Gem

CapnAndy posted:

Ah.

On the one hand this is really neat -- God knows it'd be nice if Americans would take to the streets loving ever, but on the other hand at some point Egypt needs to handle bad leaders democratically, not with mob rule and asking the army to fix everything for them. Hopefully they get it right this time.

Well, the Philippines did it twice, and they have managed to retain a functional (but still really corrupt) democracy.

• Locked thread